Following The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 420

Next Last
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Oct 2020 12:23:20 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    PierrePressure wrote:
    The new deftones album is great, best since White Pony IMO.
    I haven't listened to Deftones since White Pony. May need to check it out.
    Almost a week in and I think I might agree.

They’ve done good stuff over the years but this time everything clicks
  • PierrePressure 1 Oct 2020 12:25:16 1,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As I've got older metal doesn't seem to have a hold on me like it used to, I think the new deftones album walks that thin line of heavy and accessible which is just what I am after.
  • wuntyate 1 Oct 2020 12:28:36 15,481 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PierrePressure Accessible being a key word for me these days. I haven't the patience anymore to wade through 50 time and key changes before the first verse, which itself never repeats it's melody before firing into a 5000 minute guitar shred excercise.

I listen to new metal releases regularly and not very often do I make it past the first song. It's all wankery.
  • Duffking 1 Oct 2020 12:48:01 16,656 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can't say Deftones have ever clicked for me, outside of my 10 second segments in individual songs ever now and then. I find them crushingly boring.
  • drhickman1983 2 Oct 2020 07:36:09 7,130 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Time for me to bollock on about Anaal Nathrakh again.

I'm heavily biased as I love the band anyway but the new album is very good, and will likely be my album of the year. Time will tell if has any longevity but my initial reaction is that it's their best album for a while. Sounds a bit more like their "Hell is Empty and the Devils are Here" period.
  • Drakesmoke 2 Oct 2020 08:24:46 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    @EMarkM oh led Zeppelin and black Sabbath are the two bands I know every single album back to front :). Black Sabbath are comfortably my favourite band ever. Then led zep, megadeth, slayer, Metallica, rolling stones fight out for the other spots below. Led Zeppelin probably number two but there are quite a few songs on certain albums I hate.
    One you are possibly missing out on here for the 70s is Rainbow. The first three albums but certainly number 2 and 3 (that's 'Rising' and 'Long Live Rock and Roll'). Go listen to Stargazer (Cozy Powell on drums is very Bonham on that), Light in the Black, and Gates of Babylon.

The eighties pop rock stuff is alright for what it is but those 70s albums with Dio and his dungeon metal lyrics are essential.
  • Bichii 2 Oct 2020 08:44:19 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cool thanks I'll add them now to Spotify to listen in a bit when I'm off to the gym.

Edit: rising added for first listen.

Edited by Bichii at 08:47:04 02-10-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Oct 2020 09:10:55 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    I can't say Deftones have ever clicked for me, outside of my 10 second segments in individual songs ever now and then. I find them crushingly boring.
    :(
  • Trafford 2 Oct 2020 09:18:08 8,713 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rising is a great album, really iconic album art work too.
  • Bichii 2 Oct 2020 10:46:04 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Okay rising done, amazing although six tracks!? So just started the 3rd album which had a cheesy but great opening title track long live rock and roll.
  • Drakesmoke 2 Oct 2020 11:09:28 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Okay rising done, amazing although six tracks!? So just started the 3rd album which had a cheesy but great opening title track long live rock and roll.
    Yeah, tbh the short length of that album is a strength for me in a way, far too much rock and metal is padded out.

EDIT: I love the opening track you've mentioned. The little trill in the riff is proper artful. Just wait for Gates of Babylon. Opeth's last four albums or so are at least half based on that song. The vocals and the guitar solo are God tier.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 11:11:04 02-10-2020
  • Bichii 3 Oct 2020 11:31:31 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Okay I've now listened to long live rock and roll album. Yeah amazing. They sound very very like later led Zeppelin though. The intro or so 30 seconds of the track the shed sounds identical to a led Zeppelin song, I thought it was a cover until the song started properly. Then when it does drop it sounded like it could have been on led Zeppelin 2. Most of the album though sounds like something Zeppelin made after physical graffiti but never released.

Not complaining of course as both the album's I've now heard are fantastic. The gates of Babylon is an instant classic even on first listen, so epic.

Edited by Bichii at 11:32:24 03-10-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2020 11:41:32 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And to think they eventually wrote the ultimate dad rock driving anthem
  • JonFE 6 Oct 2020 21:01:24 2,030 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apparently, Eddie Van Halen died today from throat cancer RIP :cry:
  • Drakesmoke 9 Oct 2020 08:28:22 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Okay I've now listened to long live rock and roll album. Yeah amazing. They sound very very like later led Zeppelin though. The intro or so 30 seconds of the track the shed sounds identical to a led Zeppelin song, I thought it was a cover until the song started properly. Then when it does drop it sounded like it could have been on led Zeppelin 2. Most of the album though sounds like something Zeppelin made after physical graffiti but never released.

Not complaining of course as both the album's I've now heard are fantastic. The gates of Babylon is an instant classic even on first listen, so epic.
    I kinda get the comparisons. Lady of the Lake to my ears is basically The Wanton Song's core riff! I think The Shed is interesting in the way the kick drum is used, not really something I heard Zeppelin do and very proto metal.
  • Bichii 17 Oct 2020 13:31:05 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Drakesmoke I owe you a drink for getting me to check out rainbow rising and long love rock and roll. Love both and they have been in daily rotation, today I had both on repeat while I spent two hours cleaning the house.
  • Drakesmoke 18 Oct 2020 08:38:27 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bichii no problem!
  • Drakesmoke 22 Oct 2020 08:32:17 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone here collect on vinyl? If so are you finding certain stuff quite scarce?

I decided I wanted to get the whole Deftones catalogue...SNW and Diamond Eyes you now can't get anywhere unless you pay silly second hand prices.

I used the 2 for £30 offer at HMV twice to order the following pairs:

Adrenaline/Fur
    Self Titled/Koi

These were all ordered on 3rd October and all but Adrenaline marked 'back in stock soon'. I now have Adrenaline (which is superb on wax) but am getting weekly emails from HMV saying they are still trying to source the rest. The charges show as pending on my CC. Now assuming they are out of print and wondering whether to just pull the plug.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Oct 2020 08:43:49 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Could be a distribution issue, I waited nearly two months for the new Waxahatchee album and that came out earlier this year
  • OllyJ 23 Oct 2020 10:59:19 4,805 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    New Pallbearer is great btw. Out today.
  • Duffking 23 Oct 2020 11:04:32 16,656 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    New Mors Principium Est as well.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Oct 2020 17:15:04 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    New Pallbearer is great btw. Out today.
    Got it on now.

Incredible once again.
  • Drakesmoke 27 Oct 2020 10:13:02 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone own The Book of Opeth? Paperback updated version is up for pre-order and I'm considering it but would like to know if it's actually a good read.

Sort of on topic I got the Metallica Back to the Front book for my birthday along with their Ross Halfin photography one. Have only read the opening chapter of BTTF so far but it was excellent, if a bit chillingly graphic in its depiction of the bus crash.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.