Following The Official Metal Appreciation Threadģ Page 422

• Beetroot_Bertie 8 Dec 2020 22:09:46 536 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm jealous, I love Skyclad's early albums too :)
  • StixxUK 11 Dec 2020 09:22:54 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Another one for the Deftones fans in here... although it's even more "not metal" than their usual output, the remix album of White Pony arrives today - mostly trip-hop type stuff but could be interesting. From what I've heard so far don't bother unless you're listening on something with deep bass (or maybe just don't bother at all).

Also Every Time I Die have released a couple of ripping tracks, hopefully means a new album is on the way!

• simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Dec 2020 09:45:37 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím going to give the remix of White Pony a go because people keep talking it up but historically I canít think of a single instance where Iíve heard remixes of songs I already liked and didnít just want to turn it off and listen to the original
  • StixxUK 11 Dec 2020 12:01:04 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Might change my opinion over time but... there's nothing too exciting or terrible on there. There's a lot of variation, as you'd probably expect from a remix album with different remixers on each track.
  • robthehermit 11 Dec 2020 12:20:51 8,406 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Beetroot_Bertie wrote:
    I'm jealous, I love Skyclad's early albums too :)
    Wayward Sons was fantastic. Especially The Riddlers theme tune.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 11 Dec 2020 12:57:39 536 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had to look it up on youtube. I don't really remember the show but that musical phrase sounds eerily close. I wonder if it was an "influence" or based on some sort of folk standard?

I shall now forever link the two :)
  • robthehermit 11 Dec 2020 16:15:00 8,406 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie Skyclad posted on Facebook today saying that it's 30 years to the day that the mixing began on "Wayward Sons", so I thought I'd ask about the link between the two and got this reply:

I think Steve had been bindge watching The Riddlers on CBBC and the tune came to him in a dream. There are some unreleased tracks incorporating the tune from Rosie and Jim along with the riff from Jamie and his Magic Torch 😜
  • Beetroot_Bertie 11 Dec 2020 18:47:42 536 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @robthehermit Nice. It's cool for them to acknowledge it and that you can find inspiration in the unlikeliest of places.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 19:10:10 11-12-2020
  • Bichii 18 Dec 2020 18:25:57 4,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okay so tomb mold/bacillus - adaptive manipulator.

Heard it in cyberpunk, love it. Is that normal from who ever they are? There's a few in there that makes me want to investigate a bit. Surprising as I normally detest that shite were you can't even understand the lyrics.
  • StixxUK 18 Dec 2020 21:11:31 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Tomb Mold are awesome. Can't understand a word but whatever he's saying it sounds disgusting. The difference between them and some guttural sounding stuff is the riffs are I dunno... Catchy?

Also they're named after an item in Bloodborne and have a song about Dark Souls (I think Abysswalker) for extra points.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Dec 2020 22:19:09 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wolves in the Throne Room European tour next year with Blood Incantation and Bell Witch?

Nintendo Sixty-fffffffffffffffffffouurrrrrrrr
  • StixxUK 21 Dec 2020 10:08:10 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Wolves in the Throne Room European tour next year with Blood Incantation and Bell Witch?

Nintendo Sixty-fffffffffffffffffffouurrrrrrrr
    Err not understanding the N64 comment at the end, is this a meme or something? But - excited to see Blood Incantation live. Can't believe Hidden History came out all the way back in 2019!

I'm enjoying the end of year top lists from various publications including the illustrious Banger TV on youtube (if you aren't already subscribed to that channel, what are you doing in this thread?)

Seems to be a lot going on in the black metal realms and the crossovers between that and heavy/thrash metal - Butcher, Hellripper, Malokarpatan and Havukruunu all featuring pretty highly.

Malokarpatan in particular are doing it for me - getting a big Darkthrone vibe of interesting/cool riffs, black metal and actual fun from those guys.

Edited by StixxUK at 10:13:02 21-12-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Dec 2020 10:35:01 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its a meme from the past
    https://youtu.be/pFlcqWQVVuU
  • StixxUK 21 Dec 2020 20:41:16 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Ah yes I have seen it many moons ago :D

The Undeath album may also have to make a late entrance onto the 2020 list for scoring ultra high on the death-riff-o-meter
  • StixxUK 30 Dec 2020 22:48:36 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anyone into Cryptic Shift? Been hearing more and more people raving about their album Visitations from Enceladus.

I'd given a few tracks a cursory listen and not been too excited by it, but now listening properly to the whole album, it's really good. Kind of scratching the Vektor itch but much more death than thrash metal. Definitely feeling a strong Obscura influence but there's generally a lot going on and it benefits from having your full attention!
  • drhickman1983 3 Mar 2021 08:56:00 7,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually better than anything Iced Earth have done recently. (I kinda liked some of their albums, but Schaffer always been a bit of a tit)

• simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Mar 2021 10:50:29 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @drhickman1983 absolutely spot on
  • Tuffty 3 Mar 2021 13:40:57 4,849 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    These new Vektor songs are...yeah. I'm kinda glad I moved on. No space eagle screeching I can understand, it must be rough in the vocals and doesn't get any easier. But I'm just not feeling these new songs at all.
  • StixxUK 3 Mar 2021 14:42:45 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Tuffty

Try this instead

• Bichii 3 Mar 2021 17:30:12 4,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Master of puppets 35 years old today. All hail one of the great metal albums!

Not a bad track on there but I think battery is my personal favourite..
  • StixxUK 3 Mar 2021 18:18:38 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bichii wrote:

Quite a big fan of the bridge section in Leper Messiah... but Orion is the winner for me. Just bloody love it.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Mar 2021 18:20:24 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Welcome Home Sanitarium for me. I've not listened to the album in ages, will remedy that later.
  • StixxUK 3 Mar 2021 18:39:15 8,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I listened to it yesterday, randomly, for the first time in possibly years

edit: not randomly actually, think it was triggered by reading this

https://www.waterstones.com/book/a-history-of-heavy-metal/andrew-oneill/9781472241450

Edited by StixxUK at 18:42:11 03-03-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Mar 2021 19:51:31 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @StixxUK I love this book. The live show was great too (although why only available on dvd and not digital is madness)
  • Bichii 3 Mar 2021 21:09:00 4,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Welcome Home Sanitarium for me. I've not listened to the album in ages, will remedy that later.
    I hope you remembered? I just got home and I'm going to play it all now. Had the first three tracks blasting on the way home. Time to start from the beginning again.

When I saw them a couple of years ago I was always going mental during any of their songs from the first three albums and everyone around me was pretty chilled then it was the other way around when they played the later stuff.
  • Tuffty 3 Mar 2021 21:12:26 4,849 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @StixxUK Oh now that is just what I needed to hear. Cheers!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Mar 2021 21:14:38 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:

Damage Inc for me
  • TechnoHippy 4 Mar 2021 06:23:23 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    I hope you remembered? I just got home and I'm going to play it all now. Had the first three tracks blasting on the way home. Time to start from the beginning again.

When I saw them a couple of years ago I was always going mental during any of their songs from the first three albums and everyone around me was pretty chilled then it was the other way around when they played the later stuff.
    I did and still a fantastic album.
  • Drakesmoke 4 Mar 2021 08:06:12 786 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got the super deluxe version of Puppets, it's an awesome set, don't think you can get it now unless second hand. I won't even tell you what Discogs says my copy might be worth, it's stupid.

If you want to dive deep I REALLY recommend the 'Back to the Front' book which deals with the recording of the album, tour and Cliff's death with absolutely massive amounts of period photos and bric a brac.
  • Bichii 4 Mar 2021 09:56:56 4,517 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice I'll add it to the list of books I own I have not read. I read so little these days but I want to get back into reading over the quick fix gaming or netflix.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.