Following The Official Metal Appreciation Threadģ Page 423

• Duffking 4 Mar 2021 11:07:14 16,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tuffty also try this instead

https://paranorm-se.bandcamp.com/album/empyrean

It's a lot like Vektor, but without the wife beating.
  • Tuffty 4 Mar 2021 15:39:58 4,860 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Duffking I really like this on first listen. Could definitely fill that void that Vektor left behind, cheers!
  • Bichii 5 Mar 2021 18:04:05 4,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Today was a good day. I discovered Judas priest Pain killer album. Never really listen to them before. Heard maybe three songs and didn't like any, hated their look and hated the screechy voice.

I was reading something about Metallica today and the writer mentioned three particular Judas albums and I started with painkiller. Love it. Still don't like the singers voice but the music is excellent.
  • TechnoHippy 5 Mar 2021 18:31:17 19,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Painkiller is a good song.

After the Metallica reminiscence I had Alexa do me a Megadeth playlist last night - some cracking stuff there.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Mar 2021 19:13:58 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Painkiller is so good.

Iím still a sucker for British Steel being the Priest album of choice but its so light in comparison
  • Vortex808 5 Mar 2021 19:41:22 15,143 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

Iím still a sucker for British Steel being the Priest album
    Curse you.

Breakin' the law, breakin' the law is now stuck in my head.

Edited by Vortex808 at 19:42:14 05-03-2021
  • Bichii 5 Mar 2021 19:53:07 4,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:

After the Metallica reminiscence I had Alexa do me a Megadeth playlist last night - some cracking stuff there.
    So much amazing from the megadeth catalogue. Haven't listened for a few months though as I needed a break from playing almost only slayer or megadeth for months.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Mar 2021 20:00:19 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

Iím still a sucker for British Steel being the Priest album
    Curse you.

Breakin' the law, breakin' the law is now stuck in my head.
    Thereís some great festival footage on youtube where the crowd sing every word and Halford just walks back and forth waving them on
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Mar 2021 20:00:58 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:

So much amazing from the megadeth catalogue. Haven't listened for a few months though as I needed a break from playing almost only slayer or megadeth for months.
    Get some Anthrax on!
  • TechnoHippy 5 Mar 2021 20:37:30 19,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Another blast from the past - sold :-)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Mar 2021 21:17:48 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TechnoHippy check out their latest For All Kings

Iíd argue its the best recent(ish) album by any of the Big Four
  • Bichii 6 Mar 2021 11:00:18 4,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:

Get some Anthrax on!
    To my shame anthrax is a bit like Judas priest. I've heard very little and not liked but never bothered with properly listening. What's the best lp to start with?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Mar 2021 11:31:19 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Among The Living is the classic and has most of the hits on it. Iíd go for Spreading the Disease after that. Then For All Kings for the post-reunion sound.

They had a different singer in the 90s and 00s so Sound of White Noise is the one for John Bush-era.

Bring The Noise is on a compilation called Attack of the Killer Bees which actually does a fun job of capturing the vibe of the band despite being a mix of b-sides, singles, covers and live tracks.

The debut has a different singer too but is generally a bit cheesy and not great. Its art work is probably more famous than any song on it.
  • Bichii 6 Mar 2021 11:52:36 4,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks. I'll put on among the living in a minute when I make lunch.
  • StixxUK 7 Mar 2021 07:21:20 8,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe metal thrashing mad?

Anthrax are a funny one for me... I do love em but generally a bit bland? Might just be I've seen them so many times now it just feels a bit like going through the motions.
  • Bichii 7 Mar 2021 09:00:00 4,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Currently maybe five tracks into among the living and while it's fine nothing is jumping out at me in the slightest unlike when I first listened to seasons in the abyss or painkiller.
  • drhickman1983 7 Mar 2021 10:37:18 7,520 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I picked Borknagar' most recent album (released in 2019) last year but for some reason it didn't click, but recently it did, and I've been working back through their discography.

I'm very much liking them

• simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Mar 2021 10:46:56 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

Anthrax are a funny one for me... I do love em but generally a bit bland? Might just be I've seen them so many times now it just feels a bit like going through the motions.
    I think part of their problem is that they were the fun ones and that maybe doesnít translate as well as being the extreme ones or the gigantic one over the years
  • StixxUK 7 Mar 2021 18:55:16 8,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

I think part of their problem is that they were the fun ones and that maybe doesnít translate as well as being the extreme ones or the gigantic one over the years
    True, I doubt being in your sixties helps either 😁
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Mar 2021 19:08:46 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Joey Belladonna does look archeological these days

Although Scott Ian hasnít aged since he shaved his mullet and became metal documentary makings number 1 talking head
  • Vortex808 7 Mar 2021 20:37:59 15,143 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like Scott Ian a lot when i see him chatting in music docs. I blasted my tape of among the living quite a bit too, but they did leave me kind of cold for some reason. They always seemed a bit 'disposable' for some reason.

I don't know why. They were definitely the ones who seemed like you'd have a better laugh hanging out with, but at the time I probably preferred the others of the 'big four' with a side order of Testament.

Edited by Vortex808 at 20:38:55 07-03-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Mar 2021 23:31:24 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For all the turmoil and the occasional awkwardness of transposing 30 year old goofiness onstage nowadays, I still love Anthrax and think theyíre probably number three on the Big Four leaderboard.

Scott Ianís road stories stand up shows are fun too
  • Deleted user 8 March 2021 01:06:40
    @Bichii

Just in case you haven't watched the epic video

And Painkiller is the definitive, quintessential heavy metal song. Anyone who claims otherwise is wrong.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2021 01:17:54
    Browsing through my mp3 collection and for whatever Freudian reason I almost forgot about Abruptum. Picked up the Evil Genius "album" in a record shop somewhere in Norway some 20-25 years ago. Such a great band, I wonder why it never took off. It's an acquired taste I guess, and their later stuff wasn't remotely as accessible as this.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:25:21 08-03-2021
  • drhickman1983 8 Mar 2021 01:25:35 7,520 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    came here to post about something else, but I do want to say that Painkiller is a perfect song, and actually a perfect album for what it intends. It's up there with the greats for me.

Anyway, I ended up listening to Tiamat - Wildhoney again for the first time in a while and I still find it amazing. cant say anything they did before or since has really grabbed me, and given the quite rotational line up in the bands earlier years it seems unlikely to happen again. But they struck gold on this album as far as I'm concerned (assuming proggy-doom is your gold).

Edited by drhickman1983 at 01:25:57 08-03-2021
  • Deleted user 8 March 2021 02:56:06
    Further browsing through my past. Here's Dimmu Borgir: Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Oh boy. When I was 15, this recruited me to black metal. It was so awesome. Except it wasn't. Listening to it today, it's fucking pop music, I just have no words for how shallow and easy listening it is. I'd been listening to Slayer's Divine Intervention before, which is like 10x darker and more hardcore in hindsight. Afterwards, I quickly sought out stuff like Satyricon and Emperor and quickly forgot about Dimmu Borgir.

But at that time, I was all Dimmu. The first metal gig I visited was Dimmu in front of like 100 people, along a few support acts nobody knew about, one of them called "In Flames" or something. I wore black metal facepaint reminiscent of The Crow because I had not yet fully developed a sense of dignity.

It's all kinda embarrassing in hindsight, but at the same time this album changed my life because it got me into black metal. Not sure if I should thank or curse it for that.

Wondering what everyone else's entry into black metal was.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 02:58:19 08-03-2021
  • Bichii 8 Mar 2021 07:25:26 4,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Bichii

Just in case you haven't watched the epic video

And Painkiller is the definitive, quintessential heavy metal song. Anyone who claims otherwise is wrong.
    Thanks. Turns out I have seen that. It was on guitar hero live and I rocked hard to it :). No idea why I didn't then look to their catalogue? Very weird of me.
  • drhickman1983 8 Mar 2021 08:30:08 7,520 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wondering what everyone else's entry into black metal was
    Could Cradle Of Filth be considered black metal? Their earliest stuff skirted on the edge of it, maybe, though they increasingly moved away from black metal.

But I didn't really enjoy any black metal until I gave Burzum a listen. The guy is a prick and I hate his views but Filosofem and Hvis lyset tar oss did make me consider the genre a lot more. Even if I didn't get into much more.

Then more recent again, Mgla came into my radar, and then I did start exploring black metal more.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 08:33:41 08-03-2021
  • Vortex808 8 Mar 2021 10:45:10 15,143 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago

Scott Ianís road stories stand up shows are fun too
    I'm going to try to find some of these. A friend from school is still well into Anthrax and still sees them every tour.

I did have an among the living bootleg on cassette once upon a time. That'll show my age! 😃
  • wuntyate 8 Mar 2021 13:25:12 17,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Wondering what everyone else's entry into black metal was
    Could Cradle Of Filth be considered black metal? Their earliest stuff skirted on the edge of it, maybe, though they increasingly moved away from black metal.

But I didn't really enjoy any black metal until I gave Burzum a listen. The guy is a prick and I hate his views but Filosofem and Hvis lyset tar oss did make me consider the genre a lot more. Even if I didn't get into much more.

Then more recent again, Mgla came into my radar, and then I did start exploring black metal more.
    By sheer coincidence I was playing Cradle of Filth all weekend. I do still have a weakness for Vempire, Dusk... and Cruelty... (Bathory Aria still gives me tingles when it starts). Midian was decent but they lost me at Damnation and I've never really been back bar the odd excursion into some of their later ones. I have tried but don't think it's something I would listen to much now but it was nice going down memory lane.

Not black metal though, but they did pave the way for me for black metal from them via Dimmu Borgir I did find myself getting into Emperor, Mayhem, Immortal etc etc.

Never liked Burzum much apart from his self titled album. The fact he's a horrific human being puts me off ever listening to that again though.

Can't really be doing with Black Metal these days though. I'm all about the melo death.

Edit: Shit, I've been thinking more and more about the other bands I used to listen to back in the day. Had the first couple of Children of Bodom albums and wondered what was going on with them these days. Just found out that Alexi Laiho died a few months ago. Old news by now I'm sure and I wouldn't have known but still, a shame. Talented guy.

Edited by wuntyate at 13:48:21 08-03-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.