Following The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 425

• wuntyate 15 Apr 2021 10:50:32 17,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck, I could do with going to see Maiden again.

Not strictly metal but I booked Offspring tickets for November the other day. I'm very excited.

Holy shit. I just googled as couldn't remember when I'd last seen them live. 2001. AFI supported them. 20 years ago. 20 fucking years ago.

Where has that 20 years gone, I want them back :(

Edited by wuntyate at 11:05:45 15-04-2021
  • captbirdseye 16 Apr 2021 13:08:04 11,143 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Listening to Offsprings new album. Not bad but nothing great stands out. I have no idea what they were thinking with the Gone Away version.

The vocals are bit weird but I guess age plays a factor there. Looking forward to seeing them later in the year - touch wood.
  • warlockuk 16 Apr 2021 20:07:28 19,518 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Deleted user wrote:
    Wondering what everyone else's entry into black metal was.
    I always found that Dimmu got better though still more accessible over time.

My intro to Black Metal in '95 was this:

...though it took a year or two more until I got into it. I think it was a combination of Old Man's Child and a few other bands being on compilations and then discovering CoF's Vempire + Dusk and Her Embrace. And Hecate Enthroned. Floodgate etc :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Apr 2021 20:21:57 19,786 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mine was In The Nightside Eclipse
  • wuntyate 16 Apr 2021 20:39:19 17,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Listening to Offsprings new album. Not bad but nothing great stands out. I have no idea what they were thinking with the Gone Away version.

The vocals are bit weird but I guess age plays a factor there. Looking forward to seeing them later in the year - touch wood.
    I'm surprisingly really enjoying it. Must be in a forgiving mood or I'm just wanting to relive my youth these days and new offspring is scratching that itch.

I know what you mean about the vox though, and Gone Away is really disappointing because Dexter sounds particularly nasally and, well, odd.

The worst thing about the album is the production. I just want a bit more rawness in my albums. It's too lifeless.

Edited by wuntyate at 20:39:41 16-04-2021
  • Deleted user 23 April 2021 09:58:48
    New Portal, then. Vocals on this are unhinged—weirdly, much less sibilant, to the point where I wonder if they've replaced The Curator.

Plus, they've tuned back down since ION. Lovely stuff.
  • StixxUK 30 Apr 2021 08:02:51 8,744 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    New Gojira out today.

The singles were great so far - a bit heavier than Magma but retaining the focus on groove and pretty catchy. Looking forward to hearing the rest of it (the first three tracks are the singles so haven't got to the new stuff yet!).
  • TechnoHippy 4 May 2021 10:54:23 19,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    New Gojira out today.

The singles were great so far - a bit heavier than Magma but retaining the focus on groove and pretty catchy. Looking forward to hearing the rest of it (the first three tracks are the singles so haven't got to the new stuff yet!).
    I've not listened to these before - I'm quite liking them so far.
  • Wayne 4 May 2021 11:03:18 3,964 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Evile have a new album out as well. Gonna give that a rattle today. Think it's time to make a concerted effort to listen to metal again.
  • Duffking 4 May 2021 11:29:58 16,932 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's pretty dull IMO. Which is Evile to a T in my experience.
  • StixxUK 5 May 2021 08:42:29 8,744 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    New Terminalist album due out Friday sounds rather Vektor-y. The album art is awesome too.

Been a few of these lately with Paranorm and Cryptic Shift. I'm having a good time with it all given that I bloody love thrash metal, death metal, prog metal, and sci fi (metal).
  • PickledShogun 5 May 2021 10:25:02 219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Was in CEX the other day and a track came on that grabbed my attention so asked the chap behind the counter who it was. A band called Within Temptation and the track was "The Purge". Can't say I'd ever heard of them, but not a bad tune at all.
  • robthehermit 5 May 2021 10:52:19 8,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @PickledShogun Now you're talking my language. There is a distinct lack of appreciation for symphonic metal in this thread.
  • wuntyate 5 May 2021 10:54:18 17,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do like a bit of Within Temptation when I'm looking for my cheese fix and I've exhausted Sabaton. Sinéad is one of my most favouritist tracks ever.
  • PickledShogun 5 May 2021 11:17:15 219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    @PickledShogun Now you're talking my language. There is a distinct lack of appreciation for symphonic metal in this thread.
    I've been picking up a few new bands along the lines of the symphonic and melodic death metal. Ad Infintitum, Semblant, Volturian, Rage of Light and the like. Any you might recommend?
  • robthehermit 5 May 2021 11:30:01 8,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @PickledShogun Nightwish are always a good bet, Tarja went solo after leaving and some of her stuff is pretty decent. Delain are good, Within Temptation obviously. For a more folky sound you might want to check out Leaves' Eyes. From there, pretty much anything that YouTube throws at you.

Also, for a change of pace, you might want to try Amaranthe. They're cheesy and overproduced but a lot of fun.
  • PickledShogun 5 May 2021 11:46:13 219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    @PickledShogun Nightwish are always a good bet, Tarja went solo after leaving and some of her stuff is pretty decent. Delain are good, Within Temptation obviously. For a more folky sound you might want to check out Leaves' Eyes. From there, pretty much anything that YouTube throws at you.

Also, for a change of pace, you might want to try Amaranthe. They're cheesy and overproduced but a lot of fun.
    Yeah I've listened to Nightwish before. Hit and miss for me. I recently did have a listen to Amaranthe who are like this kind of euro-dance thrash band. Bonkers, but as you say fun.

I'll have a search Delain and Leaves' Eyes. Cheers
  • Duffking 5 May 2021 11:55:48 16,932 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @StixxUK will check that out.

You might like Autonoesis as well: https://autonoesis.bandcamp.com/album/autonoesis
  • TechnoHippy 5 May 2021 14:00:29 19,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not sure they're quite the same, but in a similar vein I quite like Draconian, especially their first album Where Lovers Mourn.
  • StixxUK 5 May 2021 14:54:13 8,744 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Duffking I do like that, never heard of them before so thanks for the tip!
  • warlockuk 6 May 2021 20:13:05 19,518 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PickledShogun wrote:
    Was in CEX the other day and a track came on that grabbed my attention so asked the chap behind the counter who it was. A band called Within Temptation and the track was "The Purge". Can't say I'd ever heard of them, but not a bad tune at all.
    I really like Within Temptation, they've always been pretty good live.

Sharon's voice is unnecessarily pretty, even in front of a festival crowd.
  • RyanDS 7 May 2021 17:39:54 14,049 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dee Snider has started following my brother in twitter which is pretty cool. My 3 year old nieces favourite song is we're not gonna take it so my bro is well stoked.

Edited by RyanDS at 17:40:02 07-05-2021
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2021 12:45:24 19,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Twisted Sister are one of my guilty pleasures - especially The Price.
  • PickledShogun 8 May 2021 15:48:29 219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Been listening to a bit of Metallica. Going back to Load and Reload has been an interesting experience. They're far better albums than given credit for. I've certainly have a new found appreciation for them.
  • drhickman1983 8 May 2021 17:58:23 7,764 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load and Reload are bloated and inconsistent but I genuinely think contain some of their very best songs. Bleeding Me is magnificent.

I don't think anything they've done since as been as good as Load / Reload. Hardwired... To Self Destruct kinda brought back some of the melodic stylings of Load / Reload, I thought.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 18:01:43 08-05-2021
  • PickledShogun 8 May 2021 19:18:27 219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @drhickman1983

Metallica's later stuff, after St Anger, just feels like a band painting by numbers these days. To be fair to the band, though, when you're as huge as they are and are nearing a pensionable age you don't have to really try all that much any more. Like The Rolling Stones, Metallica can comfortably live off past glories until they retire.

Edited by PickledShogun at 19:20:15 08-05-2021
  • Wayne 8 May 2021 19:21:33 3,964 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gotta say, I still love Death Magnetic.
  • PickledShogun 8 May 2021 19:46:07 219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Gotta say, I still love Death Magnetic.
    Yeah it's a good enough album, but it and Self Destruct are safe by Metallica's standards.
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2021 19:49:37 19,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm introducing my dog to the language of his people with the Rammstein Paris concert video :-)
  • robthehermit 8 May 2021 20:29:47 8,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Saw them at Sonisphere. They put on an awesome show.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.