I hate Facebook Page 91

• KnuttinAtoll 3 Mar 2016 10:09:10 7,438 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't think FB will go away anytime soon, but as long as it's not changing into something that is needed to get on in life (opening a bank account, getting a job, etc.) I couldn't care either way. I used to be quite militant about it but now I'm just 'meh'.

As for Twitter, I only use it passively for news and stuff but even now I find it a very cluttered experience, too many ads in the disguise of "promoted posts". I access the app now and then, after 2 minutes I'm put off. Might nuke my fake account there eventually.

I've moved most of my news sources back to Firefox equipped with ABP (with unintrusive ads enabled). A much more pleasant experience, no fullscreen pop up ads or massive banners slowing down my aging phone anymore. Less is more.
  • drhickman1983 3 Mar 2016 10:13:08 6,071 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I mostly use Facebook to just keep up to date with bands and to use the messenger. I have 76 friends, and that's probably 71 more than I care about.

Most of the stuff is clickbait that I ignore.

Never used twitter. I just don't get this social media thing.
  • KnuttinAtoll 3 Mar 2016 10:16:28 7,438 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I admit I don't use Twitter properly. Basically just like a newsfeed. And even for that there must be better alternatives. I guess it works for businesses to promote themselves and to get into touch with customers and so on but as a private user I don't see much the point of it either (if you exclude the need of some to constantly talk about their lives of course).
  • pacrifice 10 Mar 2016 22:46:50 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fucking Facebook.

All I did was press play on a video I uploaded on my page and my laptop/tablet has frozen.

Can't ctrl alt delete, pressing the windows key does nothing, pressing and holding the power button for ages does nothing, closing the lid doesn't put it into sleep... Fucking frozen my laptop ffs!

I can't remove the battery as it's a tablet.

Have to let the battery die /o\
  • pacrifice 10 Mar 2016 22:48:14 4,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Woah, learn something everyday!

On an acer switch 10 at least, press and hold power and the windows key and it shuts down.

Still tho, fuck fb.
  • Psychotext 11 Mar 2016 01:21:02 65,635 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God forbid old friends would want to meet up again. lol

If you don't like someone enough to want to see them, then I'd have thought the answer to that was fairly easy... don't have them as a "friend".
  • Deleted user 11 March 2016 03:40:59
    God such drama. Just post you don't like the site anymore, send em your email address and delete your account. Guess what, the people who want to stay in touch will do, and they're your real friends.

Facebook is shite. Disingenuous shite.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Mar 2016 09:49:21 7,438 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    God such drama. Just post you don't like the site anymore, send em your email address and delete your account. Guess what, the people who want to stay in touch will do, and they're your real friends.

Facebook is shite. Disingenuous shite.
    That's exactly what I did.

Suffice to say, you can count the people that kept in touch on one hand (out of 130 odd "friends"). But I got a few "likes" on my goodbye and hope to keep in touch post for what it was worth... whatever that meant!

As for the comment about finding long lost friends, while that is a valid point to some extent (it worked in one or two cases for my wife who's still using FB, albeit begrudgingly), there's usually a reason you lost contact in the first place.

However, the contact I do have via more traditional channels of communication is of better quality than getting 'liked' or sending you the odd 'lol whats up x' via comment (people didn't tend to bother with PM's in my experience).
  • BillMurray 22 Jun 2016 13:03:53 9,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just deleted Facebook, Instagram and almost all other socia media apps on my phone and it feels so good.

(I did keep Twitter mainly so I can see meltdowns after the referendum tomorrow)

Edited by BillMurray at 13:04:33 22-06-2016
  • the_milkybar_kid 22 Jun 2016 13:25:31 8,050 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yup. I'm still on facebook, but I'm down to about 30 people I actually want to stay in touch with (many of which are family and a few cousins that live down south). Rarely use it, don't have the app on my phone and I don't have to suffer the process of trudging through a quagmire of self gratifying shite.
  • Juz 22 Jun 2016 13:25:54 3,345 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Who needs FB when I have ALL THE FRIENDS I'D EVER NEED right here, on EG?

BE MY FRIENDS.

(not you, Vizz)
  • rockavitch 22 Jun 2016 13:34:44 1,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fb is awful. I have one left over from living in Hungary but only have 24 friends/family just for the bday reminders (I am shit with dates). I have one display pic, a fake name, follow no one so news feed is always empty, never post, have neither of the apps and it's hooked up to a secondary spam email address.

It's only good as a "must text person a happy bday" and for entering thpse competitions you must share on fb for (even if only I can see the post). Have won a few things on those (my last year of ps+, 100 tesco vouchers and two 10 Amazon cards).
  • andytheadequate 22 Jun 2016 15:30:44 9,077 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm going to go against the grain and say i like it. I use it as a personalised newsfeed and as a way to pm friends as people tend to reply quicker on messenger than they do via text message. It's a bit like Twitter but easier to follow imo.

I've deleted all of the people I don't really know, and hide those I do know but who annoy me (mainly younger family members). I've also set most things on my profile to be fairly private so nothing really to complain about.
  • Juz 22 Jun 2016 16:15:43 3,345 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rockavitch wrote:
    ...for entering thpse competitions you must share on fb for (even if only I can see the post). Have won a few things on those (my last year of ps+, 100 tesco vouchers and two 10 Amazon cards).
    I should probably have more than 5 Friends on FB by the sound of it.
  • MrSensible 22 Jun 2016 16:57:44 26,517 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I'm going to go against the grain and say i like it. I use it as a personalised newsfeed and as a way to pm friends as people tend to reply quicker on messenger than they do via text message. It's a bit like Twitter but easier to follow imo.
    This. I genuinely don't understand how people can hate it. It's just a device for me and my friends to send each other amusing links or to arrange drinks.
  • Moot_Point 11 Aug 2016 06:22:47 5,530 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 11 Aug 2016 08:04:03 47,497 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes Moot. Close your account.
  • Jono62 13 Oct 2016 15:58:02 22,825 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Facebook now has a marketplace tab on the Android app. All ive seen on it so far is people trying to sell new fivers.
  • oceanmotion 13 Oct 2016 16:02:24 17,358 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I got a new fiver at the supermarket the other day. Are they rare or something?

Could I get six quid for it? :p
  • Dougs 22 Oct 2016 07:21:37 90,559 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Man Alice, these fuckers make it as difficult as possible to share stuff if you're not using their resource hogging app. I just want to add some photos for fucks sake. Doing it one by one from a phone via the mobile browser is a painful experience.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Oct 2016 12:16:42 11,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dougs my phone browser version won't let me read any DMs I've been sent. Just bounces me out straight to the Play Store. Fuckers.
  • twelveways 22 Oct 2016 12:22:10 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Get the messenger app
  • Lukus 22 Oct 2016 15:46:56 22,105 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Messenger app pisses me off. It constantly pops up with the little circle, getting in the way of what you're trying to do. This is where someone tells me there's a way to stop that from happening.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2016 15:49:19
    Turn off chat heads.
  • Lukus 22 Oct 2016 15:52:17 22,105 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I swear I did that last time but it kept coming back. I'll try it...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Oct 2016 15:59:26 11,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I uninstalled messenger app ages ago because I didn't like using it

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.