I hate Facebook Page 93

• Carlo 11 Dec 2017 19:50:22 20,591 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, give yourself an early New Years resolution...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761016/former-facebook-exec-ripping-apart-society
  • Deleted user 11 December 2017 21:38:39
    Funny, I've just taken myself off of Facebook. Not as a protest or anything, more for my own sanity as I keep cyber stalking my ex.

I hope it sticks as I was starting to worry about the dopamine effect it has had. My world doesn't feel all that much smaller for leaving it although I expect I'll feel pressure to return due to band commitments.
  • Zomoniac 11 Dec 2017 21:48:28 10,036 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The only reason I went back on was because of band commitments. I only post on my personal profile about once every six months, and never really engage with anything, I just use it as a promotional tool. Besides, since they added the unfollow option I think I only see posts by about 6 people anyway.
  • beastmaster 9 Apr 2018 08:38:05 19,406 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I woke up this morning and checked Facebook only to be greeted by about 20+ inspirational quotes. I wanted to vomit!
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 Apr 2018 08:59:04 7,407 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "One person's vomit is another person's porridge!"
  • Trowel 9 Apr 2018 09:07:13 22,650 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apparently everyone whose data was used by Cambridge Analytica will be getting a message on their timeline today at midday, saying exactly what data was sold. Something to look forward to...
  • Mola_Ram 9 Apr 2018 09:12:05 21,257 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A couple of days ago, Facebook tagged me at a place I had never even been to. I only found out about it through friends asking me why I'd decided to take up MMA classes. :/

It's weird, because I looked at my settings and location sharing was turned off. I'd never want that thing on, even if it was accurate.
  • Tonka 9 Apr 2018 10:34:12 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wait what?

Facebook tells others where they thick you've been? WTF
  • Mola_Ram 11 Apr 2018 03:09:09 21,257 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just my friends. But it shouldn't have done even that.

I have a Facebook account, but I almost never use it except for arranging events and things. I'm a private person, and I don't want people knowing where I am and what I'm doing at all times. I've never really understood the people who share everything of their own accord, and are now concerned about their privacy.

But if Facebook is going to share that information automatically, without my input, then I'm out.
  • crashVoodoo 11 Apr 2018 08:03:49 6,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I was out years ago, before my son was even born and I told them to delete my account.
    Problem is every couple of months I get an email stating that I've tried to sign back into my account, was this me?
  • Tonka 11 Apr 2018 08:22:32 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @crashVoodoo No it wasn't. Also, no one tried.

It's a known trick they do to make you sign in again and get hooked. Tricks like these are called "dark design patterns" and facebook excel at them.

Wait until may 25th and then (if you're in the EU) facebook will have to delete you for real under the GDPR. It's a real dick move to keep your email and stuff after you thought you told them to delete your profile.

You probably failed to delete it (well, obviously) due to a string of dark design patterns that made you involuntarily agree to them keeping your account.

You know what... wait until May 25th and ask for all your data. Then you might see a bunch of sites you've been visiting ever since you were made to believe you left facebook.
  • Carlo 11 Apr 2018 08:53:48 20,591 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Tonka I plan to do this.

Request a data dump, then demand a deletion
  • Tonka 11 Apr 2018 09:23:53 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What irks me a bit is that facebook (and the rest) probably won't share all the inferred information that they have on people.

Where they compare your contact list with that of five other people who are in it and realise that you're kind of connected to a person not in your contact list.
  • Zomoniac 11 Apr 2018 09:26:15 10,036 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Has anyone had the "CA has/hasn't got your data" message everyone was meant to get two days ago yet?
  • Tonka 16 Apr 2018 07:40:05 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago

Dear Mark,

Fuck you. Oh, sorry, were you expecting something politer?
    http://www.wired.co.uk/article/open-letter-mark-zuckerberg-congress
  • Frogofdoom 16 Apr 2018 08:08:30 13,982 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can already download a copy of all the data of yours that Facebook holds.

Prepare to be appalled.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Apr 2018 08:40:40 7,407 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:

Prepare to be appalled.
    I've encouraged my wife to do this, in the hope she'll finally delete her account, after years of huffing and puffing about FB without any real follow up.

You know they make you wait while they "prepare" the data which takes days - somehow I struggle to imagine that a company like FB has someone going down into archive and preparing the arch binder, or a single offshore resource in Bangalore running a 'select * from user' for each worldwide such request.

They then give you a brief window (less than a week judging from my wife's example) to download the data, for "security purposes" (security from what? Servers being clogged with download data?).

If you miss the email due to real life reasons then you'll have to start the whole process again. The cynic in me thinks this is all by design in order to discourage people from seeing it through, a bit like burying the delete account option in such an obscure place that I had to google it in order to nuke my account.

Anyways, I'm very curious about what data we'll be seeing in that download once we get to see it. And I'm pretty confident/hopeful wife will do what's necessary shortly after, even though it feels a bit moot after years of being a produc.. sorry member.
  • TheSaint 16 Apr 2018 08:48:56 18,762 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:

Prepare to be appalled.
    Only the data you've consented to them holding on you. They still won't let you see everything they've gathered from tracking you around the internet.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2018 08:51:43
    I binned LinkedIn over the weekend. Finally figured it was another bit of digital clutter I don't need in my life.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Apr 2018 09:12:24 7,407 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    I binned LinkedIn over the weekend. Finally figured it was another bit of digital clutter I don't need in my life.
    Jury is still out on it for me. I feel uncomfortable using it, and if I were an employee I wouldn't be on it but some people told me it can be helpful to get jobs so... hmmm. That may be tested in the coming months so we'll see how useful it really is. Not interested at all in the more Facebook-ey aspects of it - barely log in and my connection list is rather pathetic, so far. Maybe a case of not putting enough in to get enough out.
  • Tonka 16 Apr 2018 09:16:49 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    The cynic in me thinks this is all by design in order to discourage people from seeing it through, a bit like burying the delete account option in such an obscure place that I had to google it in order to nuke my account.
    Nothing cynical about that. I'd say it's a fair conclusion to draw based on everything else the fuckers are doing.
  • Tonka 16 Apr 2018 09:18:17 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Jury is still out on it for me. I feel uncomfortable using it, and if I were an employee I wouldn't be on it but some people told me it can be helpful to get jobs so... hmmm. That may be tested in the coming months so we'll see how useful it really is.
    LinkedIn is great for people looking for jobs or people looking to hire. Outside of that I really don't know. I quit some years ago after getting tired by all the spam.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2018 09:29:39
    @KnuttinAtoll I've been loathe to bin it for years, thinking that I'll need it if I need a job. Thing is that the two times I've been looking for a job, it's been useless for me. I had a couple of hundred connections and a complete profile, but I've never had anything off the site....aside from junk emails.

I might regret it, but at the moment it feels like a relief to finally ditch it.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Apr 2018 09:32:59 7,407 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Jury is still out on it for me. I feel uncomfortable using it, and if I were an employee I wouldn't be on it but some people told me it can be helpful to get jobs so... hmmm. That may be tested in the coming months so we'll see how useful it really is.
    LinkedIn is great for people looking for jobs or people looking to hire. Outside of that I really don't know. I quit some years ago after getting tired by all the spam.
    Yeah as I said it's still to soon for me to judge (the spam is indeed quite something else though, I don't even delete it anymore, but wait for a few days and clean up the mail)...

I really would prefer not to have an online account with quite a bit of personal information (where I work/worked, location, etc. although I do of course not leave my contact details on it). If I get a gig out of it though then I'd say it'll be worth keeping for me. Am on a rolling contract for years now but that might end soon so we'll have to see.

Not really sure to what extend agents are actively using it to get in touch, other than gathering accounts - I've had random (both local and UK based) agents add me without warning and without further contact, well one guy occasionally sends (to me, irrelevant) posts via general message but the rest, nothing.

How LI will be better for me than go directly to local agencies (some of them the usual big players) and leave your details remains to be seen. I'll probably give it a go for a couple more years.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Apr 2018 09:36:01 7,407 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood I felt that way when I ditched FB, but that was easier because there was no inherent benefit to it for me (with LinkedIn, there might be the chance I get a job out of it see my above post), unless you call inane posts from a handful of the usual people, and nobody in my friend list actually actively staying in touch with me via FB. Never looked back and those I want to keep in touch with (and them with me!) can do so by other, more traditional means.

And yeah I'm well aware LI is Facebook for work, which could be considered even worse - some people I know IRL and what they do for work, and how they describe themselves (including made up job titles) makes me more nauseous while browsing LI than FB ever did to be fair.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 09:38:20 16-04-2018
  • foster2007 16 Apr 2018 09:38:01 326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hate most forms of social media. Perhaps it is time to ditch the lot.
  • thelzdking 16 Apr 2018 12:11:27 9,524 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Weatherspoons quit social media!

The writing is on the wall now.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Apr 2018 12:35:16 14,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Weatherspoons quit social media!

The writing is on the wall now.
    Fuck me, it's all over now lads they've led the way in Brexit and now this. Game over, game over man!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 Apr 2018 12:42:38 6,374 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I sometimes do careers advice/mentoring sessions for our new starters, as well as at graduate/6th form recruitment events. These days, one of the first things I say is: "Get the hell off Twitter. Get off Facebook as well if you can and, if you can't, make sure you never post anything you wouldn't want a prospective employer looking at." Twitter is the most potent career-destruction tool ever created and Facebook isn't far behind it (using Facebook here as a lazy shorthand for the general class of non-Twitter non-anonymised social networks).

'Spoons is obviously a slightly eccentric company, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's a general drift of other companies in the same direction. The risks of using Twitter in particular are starting to clearly outweigh the benefits for a lot of organisations.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.