I hate Facebook Page 94

• thelzdking 16 Apr 2018 12:44:47 8,826 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The comments are, as always, hilarious. Lots of "Tim Martin is a no-nonsese chap, the sort we need in Britain, standing up to those social media-loving snowflakes" and "the world was better before social media".

I guess retired gammons can run riot on HYS in the daytime.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Apr 2018 12:48:06 10,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have noticed that a lot of teens and young adults have no qualms with putting every little thought they have online under their real name. I believe there's some kind of disconnect with how they see the digital world compared to the physical, a lot of the kids I've taught have generally said it doesn't matter what they write it doesn't really matter and they're just saying it for the lulz. It's obviously naive but at the same time ultra disturbing.
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 Apr 2018 12:50:12 9,245 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dale Christopher Morgan.
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2018 12:54:21 76,175 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The reason they pulled out is, presumably, the fact no one engages with it unless they are complaining and they don't give a fuck if someone didn't like their freshly microwaved lasagne.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Apr 2018 12:56:03 10,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Dale Christopher Morgan.
    Glol harsh.
  • opalw00t 16 Apr 2018 13:04:01 12,817 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Has anyone had the "CA has/hasn't got your data" message everyone was meant to get two days ago yet?
    Got mine yesterday.

Friend had used 'Digital Life' app which harvested a few bits of my data.
  • THFourteen 16 Apr 2018 13:08:50 50,567 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find it really hard to care about people stealing my personal data. Anything i post or sign up for on the internet i do so with the knowledge that its public domain information whether i "consent" or not, its all bullshit.

Facebook advertising is actually really good, i find myself browsing the adverts they suggest to me sometimes and it leads to the discovery of some really interesting products.

Of course banking details are an exception to this, if my banking details were to become compromised i'd be in a whole lot of shit.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Apr 2018 13:12:58 10,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /notes down that THFourteen is part of the problem and is the first against the wall come the revolution
  • RyanDS 16 Apr 2018 13:15:14 12,402 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I find it really hard to care about people stealing my personal data. Anything i post or sign up for on the internet i do so with the knowledge that its public domain information whether i "consent" or not, its all bullshit.

Facebook advertising is actually really good, i find myself browsing the adverts they suggest to me sometimes and it leads to the discovery of some really interesting products.

Of course banking details are an exception to this, if my banking details were to become compromised i'd be in a whole lot of shit.
    Same here. I know full well that Facebook are using my data, but as I only use it to post travel photos, organise parties etc I am quite happy.
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 Apr 2018 13:17:13 9,245 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I only post my detailed and intricate plans to establish a bloody caliphate the length and breadth of the land, so I'm not overly bothered either.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2018 13:19:42
    I mainly use mine to track fake terminal illness diagnosis and bring them to justice by feeding them to pigs.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Apr 2018 13:20:28 10,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmmmmm....
  • Deleted user 16 April 2018 14:12:51
    My youngest daughter (21) posts all sorts of crap on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Most of its laced with expletives or saying she can't be arsed turning up for work or that she's feeling mentally unbalanced. All of its easily findable by entering her name.

I've spoken to her about it in the past and told her that any decent employer will google their name as part of the interview process and will see what turns up... And that at that point she's screwed. She listened for about 6 months and then went back to her old ways. She just can't stop posting about her every waking moment it seems.

As for me, I've got an account here and one other forum and side from that, it's just an email address I check once a day. That's more than enough for me. I mean who wants to know what i had for dinner (cheese and crackers) or see pictures of my lazy cats sleeping?

I agree with Wetherspoons and hope they're the first of many... But i doubt it. It read more like their online presence was a mess.
  • Alastair 16 Apr 2018 14:20:23 22,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

I'd have expected to be presented with a lot more adverts for pubs that serve prosecco, based on my posting habits. But mostly it's crap marketplace adverts from dodgy geezers selling motors.
    e.g. VW Bora 200 "The car is driveable and the engine runs"
    Good to know.

Oh, and endless ads from cdkeys.com
  • jimnastics 16 Apr 2018 17:54:48 1,493 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mine seem to be constantly full of the latest "popular" kickstarter projects, advertised by either the people themselves or people trying to earn affiliate commission. Can only assume I've like a couple of crowd funding posts in my time :/
  • erniewhatbert 17 Apr 2018 12:19:05 2,961 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    I mean who wants to... see pictures of my lazy cats sleeping?
    Me \o/
  • Dougs 17 Apr 2018 14:46:36 87,623 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    Mine seem to be constantly full of the latest "popular" kickstarter projects, advertised by either the people themselves or people trying to earn affiliate commission. Can only assume I've like a couple of crowd funding posts in my time :/
    Same here. And marketplace tat as well.
  • nickthegun 17 Apr 2018 15:10:50 76,175 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It seems to also be influenced by your network. I've got quite a few American and Asian Facebook friends and I get constantly advised I may like an article from some buttfuck US backwater or the new Delhi times.
  • Alastair 17 Apr 2018 15:39:15 22,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I may like an article from some buttfuck US backwater
    Idaho or Ohio?
    ;)
  • nickthegun 17 Apr 2018 15:40:58 76,175 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A little of column A......
  • HelloNo 17 Apr 2018 15:44:56 2,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood I'm part of the problem, I'd love to see pictures of your lazy cats sleeping.
  • freddymercurystwin 20 Jul 2018 22:12:40 1,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So I had a minor facebook rant on the page of a multinational company about something that they screwed up. They asked if I wanted to make a complaint to which I said no. That was the end of it as far as I was concerned. A few days later I received a letter through the post saying that they have acknowledged my complaint and it will be dealt with within their timescales. The only contact I have made with them is via facebook so how on earth have they determined my contact details and account number? Surely that's not permitted legally? I have raised the issue with them as a tag on to my original facebook rant and I await their formal response. But surely that's not legal behaviour? I know it's not brain difficult to establish who I am, my location and for them to easily be able to ascertain my account details using that information but surely it's not allowed to actually do it?
  • Fake_Blood 20 Jul 2018 22:28:47 9,159 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah but realistically, how many guys that look like freddy mercury live in Castleford?
  • Fake_Blood 20 Jul 2018 22:31:12 9,159 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also I sort of hope you get a letter confirming your complaint regarding getting a letter confirming the complaint you refused to make.
  • freddymercurystwin 20 Jul 2018 22:34:26 1,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well there was only ever the two of us, hence the twin bit and not triplet or quadrupelet for example. I just can't believe they're allowed to pop my facebook details into their system and identify me.
  • freddymercurystwin 20 Jul 2018 22:36:12 1,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ironically they asked for my postcode via messenger so that I could escalate it, I refused on the basis that they already know it! :)
  • freddymercurystwin 21 Jul 2018 12:09:15 1,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Also I sort of hope you get a letter confirming your complaint regarding getting a letter confirming the complaint you refused to make.
    Nearly, but I have just received another letter identical to the first with the same date. :)
  • Not-a-reviewer 21 Jul 2018 15:14:29 5,459 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Your issue is with what Facebook has made available, not the company. Check your approvals, it should show you've given them visibility there.

Also depends on whether you've set things like your phone number or email address as visible.
  • freddymercurystwin 21 Jul 2018 15:25:10 1,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No my issue is the company joining up the dots facebook makes available and whether that's legal, I suspect not. They only need my name and location and if I'm the only person of that name with an account in my location that's easy. But I find it hard to believe they are allowed to use social media in that way.

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 15:26:38 21-07-2018

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 15:28:07 21-07-2018
  • bone-on 21 Jul 2018 15:47:29 231 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My experience of Facebook is millions of kid pics and Braggy bastards showing off with new car and home purchases so I avoid it like the plague now and feel better for it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.