'Star Wars : Jedi Knight Academy' Thread

• Spin_Dr_Wolf 22 Jan 2004 10:20:27 6,170 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So i was wanting to get this and wondering for those who have played/own it, which format do you have it on Xbox or PC, and is one better than the other ?
  • Nemesis 22 Jan 2004 10:54:44 19,700 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think they are pretty much the same, depends on what control system you prefer.

I have the PC version, which I've barely touched. Seems pretty good so far, though.
  • Mike_Hunt 22 Jan 2004 11:15:35 23,524 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've played, and completed the PC version.

It's buggy, no good for graphics whores, got a pretty poor story line, and is very frustrating in places (as you have no idea what to do next).

That said, I completed it, so it must have had something special.

Simple rule, if you like Star Wars, and enjoyed the other Jedi Knight games, you'll probably like it enough to play it.

[MH]
  • Nemesis 22 Jan 2004 11:18:08 19,700 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ...and the pop-in for the grass is worryingly close. Like, about 5 metres away.
  • Spanky 22 Jan 2004 11:27:08 14,988 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm sorry but i hated this game(i got it on the xbox) as stated graphics whores won't like it atall,it looked worse that the previous game. The story was pap and the combat was pretty uninspiring. Last year it was the only game i took back to the shop for a refund. I personally give it 2 out of 10. Pile of flaps.
  • FWB 22 Jan 2004 11:56:21 56,337 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Shite storyline, some awful level designs - haven't seen such blockiness in a while - and a lame attempt at nonlinearity - the mission selection system is pointless and the dark/light side selection only kicks in at the very end making virtually no difference to the game. On the plus side I completed it (but only because its a FPS and I have a habit of completing them) and the double sided light sabres are cool. Personally the previous one is a better product. If all you want is more of the same then pick it up, but only at a discount. Its not worth 30-35.

Edited by FWB at 12:11:11 22-01-2004
  • Wretched-Chin 22 Jan 2004 12:08:02 745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I got this yeaterday and so far I can report it's just like Jedi Knight: Outcast. The gfx are pretty poor (quake3 engine creaks along) and story is shite.

But it's better than Outcast in my opinion. It's not so slow to get going at the start - you get yer sabre and some force powers from the get-go. Also, the multiplayer is tons better - Live games seem really fun from the limited time I spent on it last night. Each of the styles of sabre have a few combo moves to pull (like the Darth Maul butterfly hack for example) and the sabre-only duels are good fun.

Have a rent of it why dontcha - see what ya think?
  • MikeD 22 Jan 2004 12:15:00 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's not the engine, it's what you do with it. Games like Star trek:elite force II and Call of Duty still produce admirable graphics with the quake 3 engine.
  • Nemesis 22 Jan 2004 12:16:40 19,700 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm so glad everyone has confirmed it's shiteness *after* I laid down my cash for it.

Bugger.
  • Wretched-Chin 22 Jan 2004 12:28:30 745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    It's not the engine, it's what you do with it. Games like Star trek:elite force II and Call of Duty still produce admirable graphics with the quake 3 engine.

Maybe it's something to do with the platform it's running on? The visuals on Jedi Academy do suffer from slowdown a fair. Of course, the levels have many more wide open areas on offer, but even in corridors and rooms when you get a load of stormtroopers shooting at ya it gets a bit slide-show. I guess we'll see if CoD (console versions) has visuals that are as good as PC?

I have to say that the online game has much much smoother visuals (don't why this is) and when you get 5 sabre-wielding loonies in a dark room then it's does start to look like some mad strobe show.
  • FWB 22 Jan 2004 12:37:07 56,337 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    I'm so glad everyone has confirmed it's shiteness *after* I laid down my cash for it.

Bugger.

I believe MikeHunt and I discussed its shiteness in a clearly labelled thread just before its release. :)

There are some ok levels - SPOILER I thought the one where you battle Boba Fett was pretty cool END SPOILER - but they don't last long. The rest are clearly lazy and rushed designs. And the storyline... come on, even I could do better.

Edited by FWB at 12:39:25 22-01-2004
  • Nemesis 22 Jan 2004 12:40:53 19,700 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I can't read *everything* you know.

/sulks in corner.
  • Mike_Hunt 22 Jan 2004 12:50:35 23,524 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:

/sulks in corner.
    Yes... we all know you're a VERY busy man ;)

[MH]
  • Nemesis 22 Jan 2004 14:21:12 19,700 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:

/sulks in corner.
    Yes... we all know you're a VERY busy man ;)

[MH]

Only if I have to read all the shite YOU keep posting!

;-)
  • Mean-Marine 22 Jan 2004 14:34:07 190 posts
    Registered 17 years ago
    You are all flunked from the Academy for using the internet during nap time!
  • Retroid Moderator 16 May 2009 16:56:54 45,463 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SPELLCASTING:

T H R E A D R E S U R R E C T I O N

So.... I recently picked this up for the original Xbox. Any fans of it on here?
  • octo 17 May 2009 09:18:49 980 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I liked it actually. As mentioned the game is far from perfect but at the very heart of it lies a lightsaber and force power system that works incredibly well. Especially online (which is unfortunately affected often by slowdown over live - or at least used to be). It's the system that should have been wrapped around the forced unleashed but instead has been left to die along with Raven Softwares integrity.
  • Obiwanshinobi 17 May 2009 09:39:15 870 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not much to think or talk about, really. This game is about performing Jedi thing with a lightsaber and teh Force. If you feel like doing Jedi thing, Jedi Academy is the game for you. I played the PC version. Audio (environmental effects and stuff) is terrific, as usual in Star Wars games.
  • Retroid Moderator 17 May 2009 10:22:03 45,463 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cheers for the thoughts, guys; I always meant to pick it up but didn't get around to it, but I saw it for a little over a fiver and though "hell, why not?" :)
  • THFourteen 17 May 2009 10:31:03 53,527 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    hmmm i wonder if knights of the old repulic would work on a netbook...
  • Tremendosaurus 16 Sep 2009 08:46:10 1,194 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have searched for this but come up with nowt, so here we go:

Don't know who here follows LucasArtsGames on Twitter, but in addition to their recent back-catalogue releases, they're now going to be offering this and others in the Jedi Knight series for Digital Download.

Starts today apparently, no idea what time though :)

Academy will definitely be on my list of downloads though, as long as the necessary decapitation mods still work with it!
  • Deleted user 16 September 2009 08:47:25
    Was mentioned in the Steam thread, but worth mentioning elsewhere as well.

They're putting up Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith, Outcast and Academy.
  • Tremendosaurus 16 Sep 2009 09:07:32 1,194 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So it was, my mistake for trying to use the search function I guess :)

Thanks
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Solarriors 31 Mar 2020 06:11:23 1 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Looks like I'm reviving a 10 year old topic.
    Following the recent release of Jedi Knight Jedi Academy (JK:III for me)
    on PS4, I was wondering what were the technical upgrades or improvements done to the port.
    I am mostly talking about graphics, performance or other presentation features updates and gameplay improvements.
    I am supposing the PS4 port is based on the PC version looking at the lack of split-screen and higher details in geometry, because I am comparing it to the original xbox release, played as the X enhanced version in particular.
    And fourth for the comparison would come the AI machine learning enhanced version of JK:III
    This comes particularly as Microsoft, and other are upping the game on backwards compatibility (with emulation techniques and AI deep learning assets improvement) and Disney whose board has changed and has been accepting Star Wars games legacy before it owned it and pushes for their recognition (and more money)
    I would be interested in DF doing a face-off of the 4 versions (PC, PS4, X1X, AI enhanced JK:III)

Edited by Solarriors at 06:16:14 31-03-2020
  • JamboWayOh 31 Mar 2020 09:53:24 18,852 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes. AI. Learning and whatnot. I'll pass on your message to DF to get right on it.
  • mrpon 31 Mar 2020 10:04:24 36,139 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's coming to Switch apparently. It looked like ass.
  • JamboWayOh 31 Mar 2020 10:08:06 18,852 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    It's coming to Switch apparently. It looked like ass.
    Already on Switch.
  • richarddavies 31 Mar 2020 10:24:09 7,606 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Coincidentally enough my youngest (7) asked to play this today. Just got the xbox/one x version. He managed 15 minutes before turning it off, the controls got on his wick.
    I might give it a go myself though when I get chance.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.