Bloody Royal Mail! Page 6

• White_Shadow 12 Dec 2011 09:58:10 2,538 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think you can take out 'insurance' (or whatever Royal Mail call it) for items which need to arrive on the day of delivery as an extra cost. If you didn't take that out, you'll probably only be able to claim back the cost of the delivery.
  • sport 12 Dec 2011 10:05:52 16,827 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ahh yes, I think you're right. Didn't occur to me when I posted it - just assumed it would get there next day :-/

Fuck, will give Companies House a call - who knows - it is the season of miracles.

/cries
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2011 10:11:28 98,981 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That's some spectacularly shit service. What kind of "guaranteed" service offers no protection for if it doesn't arrive on time?
  • DaM 12 Dec 2011 10:19:43 17,678 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If you fill in a form you'll get whatever you paid back.

Would you use Special Delivery to send an iPhone? Of course not, you are all not stupid, but O2 did for someone in my office....cue missing phone!

RM claim it was delivered and signed for - but the person signing signs once for all the recorded stuff in the building. She claims never to have seen it, postman never saw it... It was an insurance replacement for someone scamming the insurance to give their kid their old one, so just desserts!
  • andijames 12 Dec 2011 16:29:13 2,912 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wonder if one of you gents could help me here..

Basically two items haven't turned up in the post now (my work address) in the last 10 days. One was from Amazon (a car kit for an S2) dispatched 2nd Dec via super saver. Should have been here no later than the 8th allegedly.

Then a bunch of HDMI cables that were dispatched first class on Thurs afternoon (company guarantees next day delivery). Both orders have been a no show and am wondering what to do next? Basically no cards were left over weekend saying someone tried to deliver it. Is there any way apart from sending myself a letter to work out if my post is being intercepted or if someone else is getting it as it's really starting to get on my tits now.

Appreciate the help fellas!
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2011 16:41:16 98,981 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Complain and say mail isn't turning up - RM will say they'll investigate and send you some stamps for your trouble and proceed to do precisely fuck all I suspect. But you never know, they might identify the problem. Which almost certainly is temporary workers thieving.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2011 16:49:21
    @andijames:
    I don't want to defend Royal Mail's ineptitude but it is apparently the busiest day of the year for them today.
  • President_Weasel 12 Dec 2011 16:52:54 12,355 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Maybe you guys can advise,

I needed to send my accounts to Companies House before the 1st Dec. They were finished on the 29th Nov, so went to my local Post Office and posted them "Special Delivery by 1". Got a printed receipt stating the tracking code, time of posting, and the service used.

Turns out it was delivered on the 6th Dec, a week later, and as a result, I got 150 fine for late accounts by Companies House.

I'm hoping I can phone Companies House and ask them to waiver the fine, as I have proof that I sent them "Special Delivery" before the cut off time - not sure if they'll even care, but I'll try.

But I really want to know if I got any case for compensation from Royal Mail?
    you sure that's when they arrived, and not when the post room got round to opening the package?
  • Tabasco 12 Dec 2011 16:56:58 5,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Started working as a postie a couple of months ago and today was fecking mental. Tend to have about a grey mail bag full of packages, today - 4 and a half...;o;

Sport - you can claim up to 500 if the additional insurance is not taken. It's 2,500 if you do.

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/business-delivery-options-uk/special-delivery-next-day/details

Edited by Tabasco at 17:02:52 12-12-2011
  • andijames 12 Dec 2011 19:28:59 2,912 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mr-Brett No that's a fair point but this was said to have been dispatched on the 2nd of Dec which was 10 days ago so i would have thought even with a huge rush on it would have been delivered by now. Not to mention the other sent on the 8th Dec. Bloody annoys me that's all. I would give them the benefit of the doubt but my friend at work has had all his orders from amazon delivered in the same time frame. Even orders placed way after mine.
  • Kid_Icarus 12 Dec 2011 19:36:45 553 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So this morning my grandma got something rather strange in the post this morning, a plastic bag with a few scraps of paper in it. One a "sorry your post was damaged" slip from the Royal Mail and the other a tatty bit of paper with half of her address written on it.

Luckily she recognised the hand writing and phoned the sender, as it turns out it was supposed to be a package of a letter and some photos of her new great grandaughter from relatives in Australia. Which managed to make it thousands of miles around the world, only to be ripped to shreds and the contents lost once it was in the hands of Royal Mail.

Still it's slightly impressive they managed to deliver something with only half an address. :/
  • PhoenixFlames 3 Jan 2012 12:44:10 9,263 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kid_Icarus wrote:
    So this morning my grandma got something rather strange in the post this morning, a plastic bag with a few scraps of paper in it. One a "sorry your post was damaged" slip from the Royal Mail and the other a tatty bit of paper with half of her address written on it.

Luckily she recognised the hand writing and phoned the sender, as it turns out it was supposed to be a package of a letter and some photos of her new great grandaughter from relatives in Australia. Which managed to make it thousands of miles around the world, only to be ripped to shreds and the contents lost once it was in the hands of Royal Mail.

Still it's slightly impressive they managed to deliver something with only half an address. :/
    Your Grandma needs Skype.

Edited by PhoenixFlames at 12:44:17 03-01-2012
  • Deleted user 3 January 2012 12:46:38
    rodpad wrote:
    I don't suppose anybody is finding that all tracking numbers entered on their website right now are reporting:

"There is no data currently available for this tracking reference. Please try again later."
    ?
    Their whole online service has been having issues lately - the new cloud service went live recently and went a bit wrong cocking everything up.
  • oceanmotion 5 Mar 2012 12:01:47 17,358 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I want to post a package weighing 1.4KG and size is L - 30cm H 8cm W 26cm

When I go to the price finder on the Royal Mail website it gives me a choice of letter or packet.

Does packet qualify as a parcel of the size I want to send in their mind. Just seems like a unfitting option. Wouldn't like to get stung with a higher price at the post office when I have to send the item from ebay.

thanks
  • X201 5 Mar 2012 12:09:48 21,623 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I want to post a package weighing 1.4KG and size is L - 30cm H 8cm W 26cm

When I go to the price finder on the Royal Mail website it gives me a choice of letter or packet.

Does packet qualify as a parcel of the size I want to send in their mind. Just seems like a unfitting option. Wouldn't like to get stung with a higher price at the post office when I have to send the item from ebay.

thanks
    You're inside the size limits for a packet, but outside the weight limit.
    Parcel Post for you sunshine.:-)

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/letters-parcels/mailing-guide/weight-size-guide
  • FabricatedLunatic 5 Mar 2012 12:22:50 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nah, that would be a packet if posted via First Class. Dimensions and weight are fine.

[QUOTE]Packet: there is no weight limit for items sent First Class[/QUOTE]
  • X201 5 Mar 2012 12:28:17 21,623 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    Nah, that would be a packet if posted via First Class. Dimensions and weight are fine.

[QUOTE]Packet: there is no weight limit for items sent First Class[/QUOTE]
    I was basing my answer on oceanmotion being a tightarse ;)
  • oceanmotion 5 Mar 2012 12:46:03 17,358 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oi! :D

As long as postage price is covered.

Thanks X201 and FabricatedLunatic. Good info.

Edited by oceanmotion at 12:46:53 05-03-2012
  • alexc7496 5 Mar 2012 18:50:46 1,800 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone got any advice here?

I sold something on eBay for about £70. I sent via recorded delivery last Thursday. The guy has said he has yet to receive it. I have checked the ref number and it just says that recorded items only show when they're signed for. So obviously hasn't been signed for.

I always think in this situation I'm being screwed. I asked the guy to wait a few days as it may turn up.

Just frustrating as looks like I'm gonna have to refund the guy. For all I know he may have the card saying he needs to collect it but is waiting for the refund before he collects.
  • mal 5 Mar 2012 19:19:18 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You can claim up to 46 quid for stuff that gets lost when being sent via Recorded, according to their website, although I can't find out from there how to claim for it, and what they classify as 'lost'.
  • alexc7496 5 Mar 2012 19:33:45 1,800 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks.

One of the issues is I sent it through work, never had any issues before but on this occasion no luck.

I'm sure the guy is being honest it just pisses me off as the seller always gets a raw deal. They lose the item and and have to refund the customer. Double wammy!!!!!
  • FabricatedLunatic 5 Mar 2012 19:57:52 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Royal Mail won't consider a item lost until 15 working days have elapsed, so I don't know if it'd be a good idea to refund the buyer before those three weeks are up as you won't be able to claim until then.

Info

Thankfully I've never had to deal with a missing item, though I do worry about it whenever I sell something through ebay.

Edited by FabricatedLunatic at 19:58:28 05-03-2012
  • alexc7496 5 Mar 2012 20:02:39 1,800 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Th
  • vDoll 5 Mar 2012 21:46:05 2,380 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tell him to go and check with his local sorting office.

9 times out of 10 when this happens someone else has binned the notice left card, or the postie forgot to put it through, and the packet is sitting waiting to be collected.

EDIT: Just re-read - if you're afraid he's pulling s fast one, why don't you find out his local sorting office and check to see if they have something sitting there?

Edited by von_Doll at 21:48:12 05-03-2012
  • oceanmotion 11 May 2012 15:13:46 17,358 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The prices didn't half go up! Didn't think it would be that much. It's like twice the price for small items.
  • localnotail 11 May 2012 15:16:16 23,072 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep. I foolishly put some stuff on a 10 day sale on ebay that finished just after they went up - calculated the postage before though, unwittingly - would have been out of pocket had they all sold.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2012 15:20:14
    Yep, I posted a vita memory card which is tiny. 2.70. Unbelievable.
  • sport 11 May 2012 15:21:58 16,827 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I deliver my post by hand now.
  • Moot_Point 11 Mar 2014 14:18:36 5,530 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am I the only one who gets more junk mail than letters these days?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.