Bloody Royal Mail! Page 7

• ILoveThrashMetal 11 Mar 2014 14:27:48 1,066 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Moot_Point http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/ doesn't stop pizza ads or general leaflet crap.
    Or (in my case a conservatory company) get a box, fill with junk mail, send it to company with their free postage address, never hear from them again.
  • iancognito 11 Mar 2014 15:02:56 2,476 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wonder if it's possible to stop this sort of thing, of if companies will continue to send bills and promotional literature to previous occupants for eternity. I used to get statements from Egg for a previous occupant, which I used to return. Eventually they even sent him a new credit card. I cracked and rang them, explaining that he really has moved out and they were risking fraud, which seemed to stop it. I didn't have the same luck with Barclaycard. They have been sending a bill to the same previous occupant for years. I tried ringing them up once, but they seemed to get confused and think I was asking for them to be sent more regularly. I think he moved out about ten years ago. Must have crossed out the address, written "Not at this address" and returned hundreds of the damn things. At first I thought he was a scam artist, but as I've never had problems with credit card applications, mortgages, etc. he can't have been running up bad debts against my address.

Regarding the amount of junk mail in general, I get about 50 promotional letters from Virgin Media each year, all addressed to "The Householder". They usually arrive with a good batch of pizza leaflets. If only the postie could stick them straight in the recycling bin. The vast majority of my post isn't really for me.
  • Moot_Point 11 Mar 2014 15:24:11 5,530 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah it's the advertising stuff really. I remember the days when all you got through the letterbox were letters. God, I feel old now. :(

Edited by Moot_Point at 16:30:24 11-03-2014
  • iancognito 11 Mar 2014 16:29:02 2,476 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post is the new spam. At least with emails you can usually unsubscribe or set a filter, but there's no real equivalent for post. The Mail Preference Service won't let you pick names like "The Occupier", and because Barclaycard incorrectly think they're sending a bill to someone it's not actually junk mail so I can't stop that. I wonder if Barclaycard will ever stop sending bills if it's been going on for about ten years. Automated systems that people don't understand combining with people forgetting to close down an old bank account with 1p credit sounds unstoppable.

It's not a major hassle to stick junk in the recycling, but something about going to the front door and putting all your post straight into the bin seems a bit irritating.
  • Tabasco 11 Mar 2014 21:18:50 5,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Royal Mail gets a massive profit boost from the adverts. Us normal posties hate them at least as much as you guys do :-P

This is mainly down to the changes to the way we are paid for them. Used to be 1p per item so if you had say 5 or 6 adverts/leaflets for your run you could end up with 30-40 quid a week extra. They now pay a flat 13 quid odd per week regardless of how many of the fucking things we have to deliver.

Biggest offenders for sending out far more adverts than needed are probably Virgin Media and Talk Talk. An interesting situation that is happening more and more is companies sending adverts disguised as normal letters (or at least addressed as a normal letter...). The 'Spam' adverts are actually preferable to these as we don't need to sort them into our frames in the morning, so takes less time to get out and start delivering.
  • Tabasco 11 Mar 2014 21:21:55 5,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I should also mention, you can actually contact the Royal Mail directly (or your local depot...) and ask to opt out of receiving junk mail. We get notice cards now for all customers on a run that have opted out and get our balls booted if we deliver them to an opt out. Just complain till they send the opt out request for you ;)
  • Moot_Point 11 Mar 2014 21:26:22 5,530 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tabasco Oh right, I think it's time to opt out! Thanks for the heads up Tabasco. :)
  • Tabasco 11 Mar 2014 21:32:56 5,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Cool Moot, let me know how you get on :)
  • Moot_Point 11 Mar 2014 21:37:59 5,530 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With my luck recently, i'm probably pushing it! lol
  • Deleted user 11 March 2014 21:46:34
    @Tabasco Cheers Tabasco, would that be this thing - http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/how-do-I-stop-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material - ?
  • Tabasco 11 Mar 2014 21:59:03 5,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yep that's the one Monk. As you can see from my other post, this seems to be the main reason why a lot of companies are now addressing advert shite as a 'proper' letter which means that RM has to treat it as such ;o;

Edit - I think the opt out last for 2 years once set up btw...

Edited by Tabasco at 22:00:42 11-03-2014
  • Deleted user 11 March 2014 22:03:01
    Thanks, sorry if this causes you extra work :) Hopefully you have less to carry though! Virgin are pretty shitty.. they keep sending me 'exclusive' offers that are exactly the same as their website.
  • Tabasco 11 Mar 2014 22:25:00 5,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just another day dude ;)

Yeah Virgin are by far the most prolific sender of 'to the houseowner' type letters. As it says on the RM website, nothing you can do about them unfortunately...
  • Nitrous 11 Mar 2014 22:25:13 2,259 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Moved house recently and paid for a redirection on post. Updated address details for everything important but I keep getting Barclaycard junk mail letters trying to encourage me to take out a credit or debit card.

Don't think it's going to cause any problems fraud wise and I've not got an account with them but would rather stop it anyway if I can before the redirection runs out.

Edited by Nitrous at 22:26:17 11-03-2014
  • elstoof 11 Mar 2014 22:32:01 27,119 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bought something from an eBayer in the USA, got a card through the post saying I have to pay £5 customs fees. Oh, and an eight pound "handling charge".

Isn't handling already fucking paid for in their entire fucking business model? "Oh yeah, the taxi fare comes to 10 quid, plus an eight pound driving charge guv."

Fuck off, cunts.

Edited by elstoof at 22:32:20 11-03-2014
  • Tabasco 11 Mar 2014 22:47:27 5,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Heh, yeah. I work the parcel window a couple of days each week and that's the main thing people get pissed at. While there IS added expense to the RM for every customs charge (we have to handle the packet in a different way..)the 8 quid charge does seem to be taking the piss.
  • Moot_Point 11 Mar 2014 23:18:31 5,530 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But privatization makes things cheaper. Doesn't it.... :p
  • Cappy 23 Feb 2021 13:23:53 14,291 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What has happened to Royal Mail post lock downs?

In just the last few months I've had seven or eight games go missing (I'm actually having difficulty keeping count it's been so frequent) if eBay didn't obfuscate identities of sellers it actually might be able to track some of these items down if anybody tried to dispose of them via eBay since at least half the items were uncommon enough to only come up for sale a few times a year if that.

As of yet I can't see any reporting on spates of mail thefts so maybe it's somebody in the delivery chain more local to me rather than the new normal for deliveries.
  • harriselhoff 23 Feb 2021 13:38:08 389 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iíve had so many games go missing that Simply Games wonít deliver to my home address anymore. ShopTo send all my stuff recorded now, and even a couple of those have gone missing.

Royal Mail donít seem interested in doing anything about it, itís been going on for a fair while.
  • Blackmarsh63 23 Feb 2021 14:37:33 4,103 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Same. My Cyberpunk from ShopTo didn't arrive although the Royal Mail tracking said "delivered". To their credit ShopTo did refund me albeit with store credit. The postmen are having an early Christmas at the moment as they don't need to get a signature.
  • Rogueywon 23 Feb 2021 14:42:40 11,524 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Royal Mail's been fairly reliable for me during lockdown. One badly delayed delivery, but nothing has gone missing. Had nightmares with them in the past. In Ye Olde Days of Early Amazon, my local Post Office used to quite merrily open Amazon parcels to nick any DVDs or other items with resale value, while leaving books alone. Then a few years later in another town, I went through a spell where any obvious birthday/Christmas cards would always arrive having been opened, so the postie could check for cash inside and nick it if found, while still delivering the card itself.
  • Dirt3 23 Feb 2021 15:17:16 1,613 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    What has happened to Royal Mail post lock downs?

In just the last few months I've had seven or eight games go missing (I'm actually having difficulty keeping count it's been so frequent) if eBay didn't obfuscate identities of sellers it actually might be able to track some of these items down if anybody tried to dispose of them via eBay since at least half the items were uncommon enough to only come up for sale a few times a year if that.

As of yet I can't see any reporting on spates of mail thefts so maybe it's somebody in the delivery chain more local to me rather than the new normal for deliveries.
    Basically I don't trust royal fail and parcel farce with anything valuable.

Special delivery used to be a cut above the usual services, but during covid they are allowed to leave parcels without a signature, leading it to being somewhat less than special, and expensive things being left in some interesting places.
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Feb 2021 15:27:42 12,913 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:

royal fail and parcel farce
    ZING
    I....N
    N....I
    GNIZ
  • BigOrkWaaagh 23 Feb 2021 15:28:31 10,431 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Conversely I sent a PS5 to my father in law via special delivery - obviously - and it turned up next day. Lucky him!
  • Rogueywon 23 Feb 2021 15:43:54 11,524 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've sent two consoles via special delivery in the last few weeks and they both arrived fine. But I was absolutely not using the cheaper Royal Mail/Parcelforce options, as those do seem far more liable to go missing.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 23 Feb 2021 15:44:38 4,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thankfully, other than being a bit slower I haven't had any Royal Mail problems during the lockdown in my area, so assuming it is someone at a local sorting office. The lack of signing for things is risky though.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 23 Feb 2021 15:46:24 10,431 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I've sent two consoles via special delivery in the last few weeks and they both arrived fine. But I was absolutely not using the cheaper Royal Mail/Parcelforce options, as those do seem far more liable to go missing.
    The guy at the counter tried to get me to pay a tenner more to use ParcelFARCE. I politely declined.
  • Rogueywon 23 Feb 2021 15:54:22 11,524 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ultimately, all organisations over a certain size will contain a few thieving scumbags - the question is how good they are at finding and catching them. The Post Office doesn't seem to be great at this - not only does it allow problems with particular sorting offices or routes to go unaddressed for a long time, but it also has a shocking record on "false positives", as demonstrated by the Horizon IT scandal.

We'll probably never find out, but I would love to know what, if anything, Amazon did in response to the PS5/cat litter problems back in November.
  • harriselhoff 23 Feb 2021 16:29:20 389 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fully tracked delivery seems to be fine. Iím assuming that the parcel maybe gets scanned at each individual stage of the process. Thereís another form of tracking that only lets you know when something has been delivered, which is the one I have issues with. Seems to be more for the senderís benefit, maybe so they know a non-delivery claim is genuine.
  • freddymercurystwin 23 Feb 2021 17:51:24 2,591 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think I can only recall one or two problems I've had from RM,apart from their 'tracking' which is obviously complete shit. But I just had an Amazon delivery, he just left it on the doorstep knocked and walked away without even checking I was in, I know because by the time I got there he was getting in his van. It was an expensive item, the wife was well up for just denying it had been delivered!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.