Lovecraftian novels

• Deleted user 9 October 2007 22:01:19
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good lovecraftian type horror novels. Ive read most of H.P Lovecrafts main stories like Call of Cthulhu etc. Brian Lumley also did some excellent ones in the Titus Crow series. Does anyone know of anyone else who has that sort of storytelling style?
  • itamae 9 Oct 2007 22:08:34 10,213 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I take it you've already read Poe's assorted tales? It's not quite Lovecraft, but the atmosphere is similar. And of course Poe's a better writer. :-)
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Oct 2007 22:23:44 40,158 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    I take it you've already read Poe's assorted tales? It's not quite Lovecraft, but the atmosphere is similar. And of course Poe's a better writer. :-)

I just wanted to write almost exactly the same thing. :)
  • Deleted user 9 October 2007 22:32:35
    Thanks, Ill have to look into shadow of the comet :) Sounds good from what I read on wiki.

I havnt read much of Poes stuff, I might root around and see what I can find of his, Ive heard he is quite dark, Ill just have to see if its to my taste :)

Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • Shrimp 9 Oct 2007 22:33:34 1,081 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    itamae wrote:

I've got a massive Poe "Complete Works" sitting around somewhere that I never quite broke into. Could you recommend some good starting points?
  • Pooley 9 Oct 2007 22:49:23 1,504 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Manybooks.net have got a few of Lovecraft's stories.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page is a great resource for free, public domain books, and has quite a few of Poe's works.

I've read most of Lovecraft's stories, and enjoyed all of them. Poe is a more difficult read, but worth it.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2007 15:30:43
    Thanks for the pointers :) Ill certainly have a look into them.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2007 15:32:53
    Pardon me boys
    Is that the god they call Chuthlu
    In the city of slime
    where its dark all the time...

/dances around the living room
  • itamae 11 Oct 2007 15:42:13 10,213 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Shrimp wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    itamae wrote:

I've got a massive Poe "Complete Works" sitting around somewhere that I never quite broke into. Could you recommend some good starting points?
    Sorry for the late answer. Let's see... I'd start with the obvious stuff:

Fall of the house of Usher
    Tell-tale heart
    Mask of the Red Death
    The pit and the pendulum
    The cask of Amontillado
    How to write a Blackwood article
    The Raven

Truth be told, I love pretty much all of his short stories, but his poems didn't really do it for me.
  • De_Carabas 11 Oct 2007 16:22:28 1,161 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If its more Cthulhu you're after you may want to give August Derleth & Ramsey Campbell a look. Though it should be noted that Derleth & Campbell aren't everyones cup of tea.

1920's style you probably want to look for Clark Ashton Smith and Algernon Blackwood.

Still, check out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkham_House
  • Deleted user 12 October 2007 09:19:14
    Thanks again :)
  • DocX 12 Oct 2007 09:30:55 1,963 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've read a couple of Ramsey Campbell ones - pretty good iirc. In fact if you do an Amazon search for him it throws up loads of Cthulhuesque anthologies. There's one called Cthulhu 2000 that looks worth a try.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2007 21:29:03
    Much food for thought there :) Cheers. My local scifi/fantasy shop had a cthulhu corner with all of the books based on the idea, but it closed ages ago so cant remember what authors were there lol .
  • sanctusmortis 18 Oct 2007 18:59:06 9,914 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    Shrimp wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    itamae wrote:

Sorry for the late answer. Let's see... I'd start with the obvious stuff:

Fall of the house of Usher
    Tell-tale heart
    Mask of the Red Death
    The pit and the pendulum
    The cask of Amontillado
    How to write a Blackwood article
    The Raven

Truth be told, I love pretty much all of his short stories, but his poems didn't really do it for me.

You missed Lenore!
  • Deleted user 18 October 2007 21:18:04
    Thanks TraffordAvenger, sounds like that should be great :)
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 1 December 2013 22:49:18
    Massive bump. Semi-relevant-in-lieu-of-better-thread-post.

I just got Dark Corners of the Earth super cheap on Steam. I read the Innsmouth story recently, so I fear I know where it's going already, but the eyes man! THE EYES! Oh them moody villagers... Great stuff so far.
  • SambaApe 1 Dec 2013 22:53:11 1,296 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm reading the Alan Wake spin-off by Rick Burroughs. It's his debut novel and its horrifyingly (see what I did there) shit, but I loved the game, so I'm trying hard to let it elaborate on the story..

Anyway, back onto Lovecraft.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2013 22:53:47
    Just realised this thread is about Lovecraftian novels, not Lovecraft ^^

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.