Missing/skipping university lectures/seminars etc

First Previous
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2007 09:19:01 50,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Basically, I'm a 3rd year uni student, I'm 4 weeks in to this year, and for one of my units I've attended all the lectures for it but 2 of the 4 seminars (meant to be in one now). For some reason (because this isn't the first time) I'm feeling really guilty about this (coupled with the fact I'd be amazed if I attend the next one because theres a NUFC game the night before) so I'm going to email my tutor later on explaining my absences and asking what I can do to catch up.

Need I feel guilty?
  • Deleted user 16 October 2007 09:20:44
    Only if the tutor turned up. I think I worked out, in my 2nd year, a tutor turned up for a lecture only 70% of the time.
  • JYM60 16 Oct 2007 09:21:06 17,614 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No.

I miss them all the time. :)
    (yr 2)
  • afray 16 Oct 2007 09:23:51 2,248 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I skipped certain courses in uni that I thought I could get through from the notes alone. I regretted it massively. So go to all you can, unless of course it's early and you're tired or hung over or there's something good on telly or you're in the middle of a good game or you just don't feel like it.
  • AlcohollicA 16 Oct 2007 09:24:16 2,377 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The last 2 years of uni I went in about 5% of the time. When I did go in it was to work on courseworks and stuff, not actually go to classes.

I graduated this summer with a 2.1 Honours degree in computing.

And the moral of the story is....
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2007 09:24:25 50,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    heh, I missed loads.
    In your third year though?

I probably missed as many as I attended in my first year, went to pretty much everything last year, and have been to almost everything so far this year.
  • hula-hoops 16 Oct 2007 09:26:24 319 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd be surprised you are still skiving in your 3rd year. I mean wtf. Better pack your bags and start applying for career in menial tasks.
  • AlcohollicA 16 Oct 2007 09:27:09 2,377 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Our attendance was great in first year, everyone was sleeping at their desks though. Then we started to realise it wasn't like school and you wouldn't get in trouble for not showing up.
  • deem 16 Oct 2007 09:27:55 31,664 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AlcohollicA wrote:
    The last 2 years of uni I went in about 5% of the time. When I did go in it was to work on courseworks and stuff, not actually go to classes.

I graduated this summer with a 2.1 Honours degree in computing.

And the moral of the story is....

Computing degrees are Mickey Mouse degrees?
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2007 09:28:45 50,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    hula hoops wrote:
    I'd be surprised you are still skiving in your 3rd year. I mean wtf. Better pack your bags and start applying for career in menial tasks.
    Not really skiving, today admittedly I just slept through it but last week I had a perfectly good excuse.
  • JYM60 16 Oct 2007 09:29:17 17,614 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AlcohollicA wrote:
    Our attendance was great in first year, everyone was sleeping at their desks though. Then we started to realise it wasn't like school and you wouldn't get in trouble for not showing up.

This year and last we've been getting threats because attendance is really crap.

At the exams there are so many people I've never even seen. :)
  • hula-hoops 16 Oct 2007 09:29:27 319 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AlcohollicA wrote:
    ... And the moral of the story is....

do a course in a respectable university?
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2007 09:29:33 77,113 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In my first year I did a couple of English modules because I did English Language A-Level and I figured 'How hard can an open book exam be?' for the literature parts.

Turns out 'not very'.

I went to the initial lecture and then the exam and passed the modules.

In my third year (and most of my second) I attended more or less every one because, frankly I cant see how I would have passed otherwise. The course started off piss easy then, annoyingly, got really hard.
  • Pike 16 Oct 2007 09:30:13 13,458 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As long as you pass your exams with grades you are satisfied with, why feel guilty? The only one you might hurt by missing lectures is yourself.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2007 09:31:29 50,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    In my first year I did a couple of English modules because I did English Language A-Level and I figured 'How hard can an open book exam be?' for the literature parts.

Turns out 'not very'.

I went to the initial lecture and then the exam and passed the modules.

In my third year (and most of my second) I attended more or less every one because, frankly I cant see how I would have passed otherwise. The course started off piss easy then, annoyingly, got really hard.
    Well yeah, understandable post. I hope I'm not painting myself as a serial non-attender because I've only missed 3 things so far this year (get me) but it just so happens that 2 of them are for the same thing.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2007 09:32:25 50,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    As long as you pass your exams with grades you are satisfied with, why feel guilty? The only one you might hurt by missing lectures is yourself.
    Not actually missed any lectures so far though, just a couple of seminars :)
  • Pike 16 Oct 2007 09:37:03 13,458 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    Pike wrote:
    Not actually missed any lectures so far though, just a couple of seminars :)

Same principle though. As long as you pass in the end it doesn't really matter if you attend or not.

Now if you would fail a coursee, due to skipping seminars and not being able to catch up on your own, then feeling guilty might be an option.:p
  • JYM60 16 Oct 2007 09:37:06 17,614 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never can tell whats more pointless, lectures or seminars?
  • AlcohollicA 16 Oct 2007 09:39:30 2,377 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When I used to go to lectures I could never pay attention anyway. My mind used to wander. I got through uni pretty much by studying the notes right before exam time.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2007 09:39:47 50,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    I never can tell whats more pointless, lectures or seminars?
    For the most part, they put notes for both up on the internet, so a lot of the time, I'd say both.
  • Skeptopotamus 16 Oct 2007 09:45:15 265 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Drop the guy an email, it's only polite. The Uni I went to kicked you off of the module if you missed three timetabled thingies in a row without any explanation.

Neither lectures or seminars are pointless if you actually enjoy the course you're doing... if there's no motivation to turn up then you're doing the wrong course. Drop out and get a job, 'cause that student loan is going to be making interest.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2007 11:06:25 50,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Skeptopotamus wrote:
    Drop the guy an email, it's only polite.
    Agreed, plus I genuinely don't want to miss out on much/anything. Sent him an email.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Oct 2007 11:10:14 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In my entire 4 years at college for my primary degree, I'd say I attended at most 30% of all lectures and seminars. I ended up with a PhD. Lectures are massively over-rated. If I could go back and do it all again, I'd go to even less. Just make sure you get the notes from someone and study them in the library at your leisure. Lectures = waste of time!
  • Dr.Haggard 16 Oct 2007 11:10:42 4,639 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Missed loads, still got a 2:1.

Maybe that could have been a 1st. I've never thought of it that way before. Bugger.
  • mrharvest 16 Oct 2007 11:12:04 5,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We aren't required to attend lectures. Some people only show up when they have to read out their work.

I usually go to all my lectures and seminars, unless I really can't be bothered. We even have a voluntary student led group in which we read and discuss our work for no extra credit (though it shows in the final marks -- last semester those of us who bothered got 5-10% higher scores for the submitted works on average).
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2007 11:12:24 50,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    In my entire 4 years at college for my primary degree, I'd say I attended at most 30% of all lectures and seminars. I ended up with a PhD. Lectures are massively over-rated. If I could go back and do it all again, I'd go to even less. Just make sure you get the notes from someone and study them in the library at your leisure. Lectures = waste of time!
    I'm not missing my lectures though dude, I'm missing my seminars. I haven't missed a single lecture yet, which is amazing given how dull some of them are.

:|
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Oct 2007 11:14:59 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A friend of mine once worked his balls off in the last three months of his final year, and just barely missed getting a first. It was hilarious seeing his reaction! :)

Reaction 1: Oh nooo, if only I started studying earlier, I could've gotten a first!

/comedic pause
    /gears turning

Reaction 2: Oh NOoo, I could've worked far less and still gotten a 2:1.

XD Loved that.
  • Hunam 16 Oct 2007 11:20:33 20,673 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On my course we are never expected to do 'homework' for the next lecture or seminar, so missing one rarely means much, as you can get the prepared notes and powerpoint slide off the blackboard software thing.

In the first year i missed tons, this year i have hardly any lectures, so feel inclinded to go to them, except one where the entire lecture is repeated in the lab/tutorial.

Also, we only have limited time in the studio's so if you miss those sessions you are fucked, there is also work handed out only in those and if you miss it, you lose 10% of your final module score
  • Goban 16 Oct 2007 11:22:57 9,961 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.