Missing/skipping university lectures/seminars etc Page 2

• Goban 16 Oct 2007 11:23:39 9,960 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My lecture attendance levels were ok(we didn't have many)
    My tutorial attendance was poor.
    My Studio attendance was abysmal.

To summarise: I was a lazy shit who managed to get by with cramming and last minute working.

I seem to have contracted Razzdoublepostitus :/
  • hula-hoops 16 Oct 2007 16:59:15 319 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    In my entire 4 years at college for my primary degree, I'd say I attended at most 30% of all lectures and seminars. I ended up with a PhD. Lectures are massively over-rated. If I could go back and do it all again, I'd go to even less. Just make sure you get the notes from someone and study them in the library at your leisure. Lectures = waste of time!

When I did my engineering degree, all materials are handwritten, no handout and no electronic version available on the net. Attending lectures is a must although the lecturer couldn't care less if anyone turn up or not. There is no way one can understand what other students have written in their notebook.

And as with lectures = waste of time, hmm ... I hardly believe that in my case. A lot of things affect the worthiness of a lecture and generalisation don't apply.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Oct 2007 17:02:31 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @hula hoops: In my day - God, that makes me sound old - there were no printed notes, and so the notes were ALL hand-written. Also, there were a few lectures that were worth going to. But they were few and far between. In general, lectures are a highly inefficient use of your time...
  • hula-hoops 16 Oct 2007 17:15:18 319 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I find it very odd that one prefers to sit thorugh his friend's notes (at his leisure), trying to decipher anything he wrote rather than taking the notes first hand and ask questions if necessary.

But hey, it worked for you so I guess it could happen.
  • opalw00t 16 Oct 2007 17:25:23 12,818 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I attended about 25% of my final year and fluked a 2:1. Best to actually go and know you've done yourself justice.
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2007 17:27:00 76,520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A friend of mine once worked his balls off in the last three months of his final year, and just barely missed getting a first. It was hilarious seeing his reaction! :)

Reaction 1: Oh nooo, if only I started studying earlier, I could've gotten a first!

/comedic pause
    /gears turning

Reaction 2: Oh NOoo, I could've worked far less and still gotten a 2:1.

XD Loved that.

You didnt go to uni with me did you? Because that, basically happened when I got my results.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Oct 2007 17:55:48 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, unless your real name is Mark Evans. :o
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Oct 2007 18:00:19 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @hula hoops: It's not a question of preference, it's a question of efficiency. It takes 50 minutes to go to the lecture and try to write down the notes. Then you have to go and rewrite them - at least that's the way I study - and fill in the blanks, using books, tutorials, etc. to help you along the way.

If you have a good lecturer, then by all means go, and you'll learn something there and then. Great. But in my vast experience on the subject, it's generally an inefficient use of your time. But hey, if that works for you, that's great. Carry on and good luck with your exams.
  • Khanivor 16 Oct 2007 19:07:01 43,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A friend of mine once worked his balls off in the last three months of his final year, and just barely missed getting a first. It was hilarious seeing his reaction! :)

Reaction 1: Oh nooo, if only I started studying earlier, I could've gotten a first!

/comedic pause
    /gears turning

Reaction 2: Oh NOoo, I could've worked far less and still gotten a 2:1.

XD Loved that.

GLOL

I went to most of my tutorials simply because they took attendance and not showing up could lead to a fail.

Lectures could get tae fuck though. As could courses with a morning element. If I'd wanted to get up in the morning I would have got a bloody job.
  • pac666 16 Oct 2007 19:44:10 221 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    To this day missing lectures is a recurring nightmare of mine (missed so many!) but still passed :)
  • heyyo 16 Oct 2007 19:46:31 14,356 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm a 2nd year maths student and I haven't been to a single lecture or tutorial snice I started (24th Sept) been making the most of freshers fortnight :D

Probably, have to start going next week mind you.
  • Knighty 16 Oct 2007 20:07:55 1,066 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I missed a huge amount of mine, especially tutorials. (I did chemistry). Only thing I didn't miss was labs, and oddly enough they helped the least come exam time. I just printed off all the blackboard notes before exam time, spent two days on each particular subject and went into the exams.

Lectures are pointless if, like me, you simply don't pay attention. I used to miss whole days if a game came out on a friday (thankfully my labs always fell on mondays and thursdays).
  • Deleted user 16 October 2007 20:54:35
    Last year in my second term I missed so much, like seriously averaged about 6% of classes and somehow managed to do better in that term than i did in the first term in which i attended almost all of them! But that is because I woke up near the end of the term and went nuts with revising as opposed to the first term where i attended all the lecturers but done NO revision.

So i am trying to sort of balance it this year with missing as little as i can but still working my ass of at revision time.

We get handouts, on-line lecture notes and supplement notes as well as the fact that we are expected (and i have) to spend about 300+ on books. The lectures are generally still very useful for extra stuff or if you are stuck on something. But if worse comes to worse then i can find what i need in all those fucking books i had to buy.

Hey T.G did you say that you have a PHD?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Oct 2007 20:58:47 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup. /buffs PhD badge
  • Deleted user 16 October 2007 21:04:04
    Cool! What was the topic? how lond did it take? did you get like sponsors or a bursary or anything? Do you use the Dr title?

Eh sorry about all the questions.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Oct 2007 21:24:33 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The topic was "Qualitative Estimates for Partial Differential Equations in Elasticity". Pretty interesting, huh? ;) Took a little over three years. Got fuck all funding, so I had to teach round the clock the whole way through, which was kinda good in a way, as I like teaching. Never use the Dr title really. Except maybe for official stuff, and even then only if I have to/am supposed to. :) Not to worry about all the questions. If you're considering doing a PhD though, my advice is, don't. :) signed: Dr. Geometry.
  • reality_cheque 16 Oct 2007 21:40:24 7,486 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    1. I attended all lectures until week 7, when I stopped.

2. I dropped out.

These two facts are definitely related. If I went back now I'd try and go to everything, just to make sure I've not missed something.

Still, kudos to FAN for making it to all of his :D
  • Inquisitor Moderator 16 Oct 2007 21:43:40 14,557 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yea, I'm in 3rd year and have attended most lectures and tutorials this year (missed monday due to halo 3...d'oh).

However I have little care for the course and its only because I'm too far in to really get out I'm still at uni, I'll probably end up with a Desmond which is probably what I'll deserve.

Hopefully I can find some motivation from heavens knows where to actually get off my arse and get a 2:1 though.
  • reality_cheque 16 Oct 2007 21:50:45 7,486 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I know several people who quit half way through their 3rd year. I couldn't understand it myself, you've already put in over 2 years worth of effort why not just finish the damn thing?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Oct 2007 21:54:33 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Something to do with that expression 'throwing good money after bad' I'd say...
  • Khanivor 16 Oct 2007 21:55:05 43,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hehe, I stayed on for the fourth year, not so much because I was hard for getting an MA but because I was more keen on not getting a job for another year.

Even went on to do an accelerated MSc in information systems after graduating but quit that after Xmas, a)because the second half of the grant had just cleared with my bank and b) it was real fucking work, especially after four years of English Lit ;P
  • Inquisitor Moderator 16 Oct 2007 22:01:44 14,557 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Something to do with that expression 'throwing good money after bad' I'd say...

Like Microsofts venture into the consol...oooh, better not eh :D
  • Load_2.0 25 Jan 2019 16:08:52 28,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How so you make the search function work!?!

Are you a magician?
  • mrpon 28 Jan 2019 12:09:41 34,976 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Time for your pills Mr 2.0, come come.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jan 2019 13:31:56 4,981 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @mrpon In fairness to Mr 2.0, his post made a lot more sense before the spambot selling pre-written essays he was responding to got banned.
  • HairyArse 28 Jan 2019 13:55:36 1,176 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just reading this back and I'm very surprised by how relaxed some Universities are compared to others regarding attendance of lectures. I ended up taking 5 years to do my 3 year degree at Bradford because they took a hard-line stance to non-attendance of lectures.

Year 1 - I started computer science but realised almost immediately that it wasn't for me so tried to transfer courses. However, as it was 3 months in, I was told it was too late to transfer and I'd have to wait until the next year.

I was prepared to work for the rest of the year and come back the following September but was told that if I did that I would have to pay my student loan back immediately. So completed year 1 of computer science in order to avoid having to do that.

Year 2 - Started Year 1 of new degree. It was a similar course with more of a media focus but still had lots of crossover. So for the modules I'd already done the previous year I skipped a lot of the lectures. This was also influenced by the fact I was commuting in very day and when you have lectures 9-11 and then 3-5, with those late afternoon lectures being repeats I didn't think it mattered all that much if I skipped the majority of them. I passed all my exams but much to my surprise was failed for non-attendance of lectures with no chance to appeal.

Year 3 - I repeated the first year I'd just done and passed in year 2, attending some lectures for the third time around. :S

Shitbags.
  • Dougs 28 Jan 2019 14:00:11 87,948 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Missed the odd one (usually the Thurs am after the Wed sports afternoon/night) but not attending raised eyebrows. Didn't have that many, especially in yrs 2 and 3, so felt churlish not to attend.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jan 2019 15:24:11 4,981 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My Uni was very lax about monitoring attendance at lectures - no register taken or anything like that (plus a uni-wide policy that any student could - aside from those requiring lab-training - attend any lecture they wanted). I missed a few, typically 9AM ones.

But they were fierce on exam results. Fail the exams at the end of your first or second year and, barring evidence of major health issues, you were gone. Had two friends get thrown out at the end of their second years because of too much Quake 3/Counter-Strike and not enough studying.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.