Following Boardgames anyone? Page 338

• Gregolution 25 Jan 2019 20:48:33 9,369 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Tonight is Scythe night \o/
    Has anyone used the Automata with other players?
    Yeah, I've played with 2 automa decks to turn a 2 player game into 4
  • Phattso 25 Jan 2019 20:52:39 24,739 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mopping up the last of the board games to shift, if anyone's interested:

Small World Realms for £25.

Photosynthesis for £20.

Call it £40 the pair. Can meetup in Londinium for anyone in and around town. Fuck posting them. :)

Edited by Phattso at 20:54:00 25-01-2019
  • Tonka 26 Jan 2019 09:54:36 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We managed to get two games of Scythe back to back in one sitting.

Because reasons that would require spoilers and we're due to Fenris one was shorter than normal.

Great fun. I'm really enjoying the campaign so far. Every game has put a nice spin on the base rules. Something new to focus on, some slight tweak, a few new interesting decisions.

Third episode had a nice surprise. It was also great to get two games in a row. In the second game one of us got really lucky with event cards and makes to get two mechs out in no time. But then he was kind of stranded without a paddle.

We all felt like he was going to steal the win but his engine had suffered from him stomping around exploring, sacrificing popularity for mechas.

Popularity is so damn important. I can't see how you could win if your one level below your competition.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jan 2019 09:57:10 20,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know how the campaign changes things, but (in my experience) a higher tier of popularity is generally worth about 5-6 extra points. It's an advantage, but not an insurmountable advantage.
  • Tonka 26 Jan 2019 10:07:50 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmmm... Maybe there are more factors to it than just popularity. Campaign doesn't change the scoring (so far) but Everytime the winner has won big and been in the top tier.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jan 2019 10:22:11 20,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Popularity is important, sure, but it's a multiplier. It won't get you a win if your opponents have more stars or control more territory.
  • Tonka 26 Jan 2019 11:21:31 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We're usually pretty even on land and stars so the multiplier is very important.
    I'm thing that we're proficient rather than good at the game. The winner usually have around eighty coin.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jan 2019 11:27:43 20,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Getting ahead on stars is probably the most important thing imo. Not only because they're worth a lot of points, but also because they enable you to end the game on your own terms. If you know you can get the last star through a combat or other objective, you can spend your last turn claiming as much territory as possible.
  • Tonka 26 Jan 2019 11:59:27 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also, ending the game one step up the popularity ladder, which is what I did in the first game last night. The have was coming to an end and I could see that one guy was one turn away from teaching the top tier with me.

I could gain two stars in one turn so I took that chance despite not having much territory.

It was a rather epic move, enabled by a guy attaching me just before my turn allowing me to place a combat start since I made salad of him.
  • Gregolution 26 Jan 2019 18:31:50 9,369 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Getting ahead on stars is probably the most important thing imo. Not only because they're worth a lot of points, but also because they enable you to end the game on your own terms. If you know you can get the last star through a combat or other objective, you can spend your last turn claiming as much territory as possible.
    Our last two games have been won by someone other than the person that finished the game by getting 6 stars
  • Gregolution 26 Jan 2019 18:59:30 9,369 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bloody hell Arkham Horror keeps getting more fun. Played the first 2 scenarios of return to dunwich with probably the most interesting deck I've made yet. Calvin Wright and Yaotl. So much fun....

We smashed the first mission and very narrowly beat the second.

Love that game.
  • Gregolution 26 Jan 2019 19:45:28 9,369 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So much so that I've just ordered some special fibreglass location markers from Chicago :|

What a world we live in.
  • Nemesis 26 Jan 2019 22:19:55 19,522 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Team Covenant Mythos boards and tokens turned up; they are quite lovely, but that was quite the expense. Plus VAT on top. Plus Royal Mail popping on 8 quid just for giggles..it all fits together very nicely, but itís in no way essential. However I just loved the look of it all and it helps keep things tidier for sure..

i have one more AP to grab for Dunwich and that cycle is complete and ready to go.

I am tempted by the Return boxes just to organise things nicely. As Zee said on Dice Tower really youíre just buying a storage box and there are some cards there too, but the story doesnít change. When you see the length and cost people invest in storage, perhaps 20 quid a cycle isnít so bad after all.

Edited by Nemesis at 22:20:26 26-01-2019
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jan 2019 22:21:27 20,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Our last two games have been won by someone other than the person that finished the game by getting 6 stars
    Well, maybe the person who finished it should have been a bit smarter about it. ;p
  • Tonka 28 Jan 2019 05:53:25 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My ritual of obsessively checking the availability of Leaving Earth paid off! I just ordered a copy.

\o/

At 6:50 on my morning commute train no less.

Edited by Tonka at 06:38:09 28-01-2019
  • Tonka 28 Jan 2019 06:42:11 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Well, maybe the person who finished it should have been a bit smarter about it. ;p
    I ended one game just to cock block the following two players who were ready to place their last star. Wasn't sure if I would win, but I did. Felt so damn good. I went from 3 stars to finishing in one round, the one I wrote about above where one guy attacked me, which gave me one just before my turn started. I really enjoy Scythe.
  • Mola_Ram 28 Jan 2019 07:55:38 20,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's exactly it. You're not guaranteed to win if you get there first. But that gives you control over when the game ends, and it can be a big advantage.
  • Tonka 28 Jan 2019 08:57:29 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think that is a brilliant little twist at the end. One of many brilliant little touches.
  • DevilsKebab 28 Jan 2019 10:44:34 756 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    My ritual of obsessively checking the availability of Leaving Earth paid off! I just ordered a copy.
    Congrats
    Now you just need to get the two expansions (though both just came into stock on BoardGameGuru)
  • Tonka 28 Jan 2019 10:47:45 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DevilsKebab

Don't...

I've decided to play the base game at least 15 times before even looking at the expansions.
  • DevilsKebab 28 Jan 2019 11:40:32 756 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka

Just so you know, Outer Planets adds mostly more of the same. Extra planets, more missions. So gives you a bigger play area.

Stations adds big changes to the game, so a more significant expansion.

This might also help
    http://leavingearth.atspace.eu/
  • Phattso 28 Jan 2019 12:07:08 24,739 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Played a three player game of London at the weekend. Well, three teams of couples anyway. Three. Fucking. Hours.

One of the other couples were proper into it and strategised and considered implications and basically drew the game to a halt every time. Another just wanted the pain to end. Heh.

Still fucking love London. Great game.
  • Tonka 28 Jan 2019 12:40:09 29,588 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DevilsKebab

Cheers. I have secretly been eyeing the expansions and was wondering if there were any differences. Sounds like Stations would suit me better as a second step when the time comes.
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Jan 2019 13:53:05 32,585 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Picked up Whitehall at the weekend and played a few games with Mrs Fuzz. Was loads of fun, first secret movement type game I've ever played. Will definitely look at getting others.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Jan 2019 17:39:35 32,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh god. It happened...

I have Gloomhaven.
  • FWB 28 Jan 2019 17:58:35 55,980 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Picked up Whitehall at the weekend and played a few games with Mrs Fuzz. Was loads of fun, first secret movement type game I've ever played. Will definitely look at getting others.
    The Narcos game is supposed to one of the best hidden movement* games. Was suspicious it would just be a cash-in, but it's got top reviews.

*Key aspect is that Pablo doesn't move which makes it more tense.

Edited by FWB at 17:59:14 28-01-2019
  • Gregolution 28 Jan 2019 18:23:44 9,369 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

Yes!! Welcome to the club. Hope you enjoy it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Jan 2019 18:31:34 32,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This box is ridiculous.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.