Following Boardgames anyone? Page 342

• AaronTurner 26 Feb 2019 21:13:39 10,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I picked up the new Judge Dress Cursed Earth card game. The box and contents are absolutely beautiful. Will be giving it a run this weekend.
  • AaronTurner 26 Feb 2019 21:15:02 10,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Can't believe I just called Dredd dress. 5 years in the iso cubes creep!
  • GuiltySpark 26 Feb 2019 21:41:37 6,776 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Judge Dress: I AM THE DIOR
  • Tonka 27 Feb 2019 05:42:38 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Didn't Judge Caligula force one of the Judges to wear a dress? Or was it an apron?

Anyways. I like the game that the cursed earth is based on, The List Expedition. Works well solo but better with a group.
  • DevilsKebab 4 Mar 2019 11:44:56 751 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had a 3rd play-through of Nemesis on Friday and it's a very solid game that seems to hold up with multiple plays.
    It has some minor issues, but on the whole, very enjoyable, very tense and worth getting to the table!

Also played Archipelago yesterday, a little lost on a first play, not really sure how beneficial some cards can be over others until you know how the game plays. But would play again and think the second play would be better
  • Tonka 5 Mar 2019 09:13:50 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Played a solo game of Leaving Earth last night and it was a big success. All the missions that came out were for unmanned stuff (except for sending a guy to space and back).

Managed to get a sample back from Mars that netted me a neat 50M which let me test re-entry and send a guy up in one year. w00t!

I'm starting to get the hang of it now. Unmanned missions at least. They are much simpler though. I had the Mars lander sitting there for a few years waiting for another probe to come and drop an Atlas rocket down so that the lander could lift off.

I used the Ion thrusters like a madman too. The Mars lander came back home with no less than four Ions on it.

Managed to fid the Secret Cabal episode where they talk about Leaving Earth. Episode 164.
    http://www.thesecretcabal.com/Home/ArtMID/426/ArticleID/241/Episode-164-Thunderstone-Quest-Nemos-War-and-a-Short-Topic-Extravaganza

Here's an excellent How-to-Play for those interested. (Probably the best how to play I've seen. They should all be done in Tabletop Simulator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txyEHqdRcPM

My ongoing project to create the best ever inserts for the game is progressing. Read all about it on the Leaving Earth bgg forum.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Mar 2019 10:23:12 32,186 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Played Star Wars Rebellion and Xia at the weekend.

Haven't had a chance to play too many times, but Rebellion remains an amazing game.

Xia is just Freelancer / Elite in a box. No strategy / tactics etc, just a a straight up chilled experience. Really enjoyed it and it's one of the best overall packages I've bought. Proper luxury. The painted ships are way better than I thought they'd be, and those metal coins...
  • DevilsKebab 5 Mar 2019 12:06:23 751 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Played one game of Xia, it's great but a lot to take in on a first play, too many options and not enough understanding to get a real strategy down.

Hoping to get a second game in very soon and hopefully I'll not just bumble around this time :)
  • FWB 5 Mar 2019 17:02:34 55,869 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Played a solo game of Leaving Earth last night and it was a big success. All the missions that came out were for unmanned stuff (except for sending a guy to space and back).

Managed to get a sample back from Mars that netted me a neat 50M which let me test re-entry and send a guy up in one year. w00t!

I'm starting to get the hang of it now. Unmanned missions at least. They are much simpler though. I had the Mars lander sitting there for a few years waiting for another probe to come and drop an Atlas rocket down so that the lander could lift off.

I used the Ion thrusters like a madman too. The Mars lander came back home with no less than four Ions on it.

Managed to fid the Secret Cabal episode where they talk about Leaving Earth. Episode 164.
    http://www.thesecretcabal.com/Home/ArtMID/426/ArticleID/241/Episode-164-Thunderstone-Quest-Nemos-War-and-a-Short-Topic-Extravaganza

Here's an excellent How-to-Play for those interested. (Probably the best how to play I've seen. They should all be done in Tabletop Simulator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txyEHqdRcPM

My ongoing project to create the best ever inserts for the game is progressing. Read all about it on the Leaving Earth bgg forum.
    This looks ace. Want.

Just ordered the Narcos game. Reviews suggest it is the best hidden movement game out there now and I love the show.
  • Tonka 5 Mar 2019 17:49:57 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @FWB the store I bought it from in Sweden still has it in stock.

Comes in at 70 with shipping to the UK. https://alphaspel.se/491-bradspel/73080-leaving-earth-inkl-mercury-exp

They restock constantly.
  • FWB 5 Mar 2019 17:59:26 55,869 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Damn. Hard to justify that right now when I've just ordered something, and waiting on two others, though one is on Kickstarter.

I'll keep an eye on it though. Ta.
  • danathjo 6 Mar 2019 09:58:30 8,186 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Before I whomp a new batch of money onto another kickstarter, has anyone played The Pursuit of Happiness?

Mid weight worker placement euro that looks like it oozes theme and quite a bit of fun.

Haven't managed to play it yet and unlikely to in the next 7 days (when it ends). Just curious on thoughts :)
  • kentmonkey 6 Mar 2019 11:01:21 22,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just bought Star Wars Risk: Black Edition from Amazon for 17.50, which seems like a ludicrously brilliant price considering what I think it normally goes for.

Heard good things, and one to stick in the cupboard for when my little boy is a few years older and can play it with me!
  • DevilsKebab 6 Mar 2019 11:19:24 751 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @danathjo Yup, I got the game originally from KS and it's a lot of fun.
    It's interesting to play through the story of someones life as you're going through.

It's Euro mechanics may not be the most cutting edge or deepest, but for me they are pretty solid and the theme is more important to me.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2019 11:55:54 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @FWB Gregolution recently bought a copy from somewhere in the UK. Keep an eye on boardgameprices and it will probably pop up again.

It had a reputation of being hard to get but that Swedish store I linked to has restocked it twice in the last month so the producer might have ramped up production / built up a stock.

They mentioned in the Cabal podcast that there was a massive shipment delay due to the producer moving and that has clearly been fixed since.
  • danathjo 6 Mar 2019 12:11:03 8,186 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DevilsKebab thank you, just what I thought really. Not too complex so you can concentrate on the 'story.
  • danathjo 6 Mar 2019 12:14:25 8,186 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kentmonkey not sure what difference the black edition gives you but played this before I got into 'proper' hobby board games and had a blast.

Definitely get a star wars soundtrack on, especially if you're rolling for a possible win. Really takes it up a notch!
  • CptSN 6 Mar 2019 12:30:44 14 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    My recommendation is Enchanters for sure. You will almost never play the same game of Enchanters with all of the content they made. Also looking forward to playing Dead of Winter this weekend!
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2019 12:40:56 9,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @FWB Gregolution recently bought a copy from somewhere in the UK. Keep an eye on boardgameprices and it will probably pop up again.

My copy was from boardgameguru

And I haven't even opened it yet :|

Edited by Gregolution at 12:41:15 06-03-2019
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2019 13:01:57 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution there's some instructions on bgg on how you can steam it open so as not to ruin the label.

But then what?
  • kentmonkey 6 Mar 2019 13:32:54 22,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @danathjo good to know! :)

Black version gives you micro machine miniatures for the three main pieces, thicker game board and cards, and a slightly tweaked, improved rule set.

Also the box is sooooo much nicer. The plus being it doesn't have Kylo Ren's idiotic face on the front of the box, either.

Wife is not going to be impressed, but fuck it! :)
  • rice_sandwich 6 Mar 2019 13:53:31 5,353 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Surely video games are worse than boardgames? Have you tried the old "Well, it could be worse. I could be into drinking, gambling." etc. My wife isn't an avid gamer but is happy to try out almost any medium weight euro game.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2019 14:30:07 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, buy an escape room game and a bottle of wine and show her the joys of boardgaming
  • kentmonkey 6 Mar 2019 14:38:42 22,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich You'd think so, but no. She'll buy me a console game for a Birthday/Christmas present occasionally, but rolls her eyes when I buy board games.

I've tried to get her into board gaming but she shows absolutely no interest. Even had fun with MyKerinos, Formula D, etc. etc. Tried a range, and she enjoys it enough when playing, but then has absolutely no interest in replaying. It doesn't help that she's so uncompetitive - she doesn't care about winning or even achieving a shared end goal. She's the Stan Kroenke of board gaming, I suppose!

My boy, on the other hand, loves them. Obviously he's limited in what he can play at the moment, being only four, but he loves to sit down and play a board game. And although mostly luck based, even some of the kids games (Pizza Pizza, Rocket Ship, etc.) that Orchard make aren't bad fun.

So Star Wars Risk will likely go in a cupboard for 4 years to play with my boy. Most of the other board games I play either solo, or at work occasionally. I should try to organise a kent-meet to play them.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Mar 2019 14:59:41 5,353 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Oh well, you can't have everything but I struggle to think of a more inoffensive yet socially inclusive hobby. I gather there are a lot of good games for kids. A lot of them seem to be German though so might be more difficult to get. You can always try a solo game too, they have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years. Some are even preferable played solo imo, Terraforming Mars being a prime example.
  • kentmonkey 6 Mar 2019 15:08:50 22,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I quite enjoy flashpoint solo. I know that's not how it's meant to be played but it's enjoyable.

Friday is good fun as well. Hard, but good fun.

And agree, it's about as sociable as you can get. It's a shame really.
  • FWB 6 Mar 2019 21:15:48 55,869 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

It had a reputation of being hard to get but that Swedish store I linked to has restocked it twice in the last month so the producer might have ramped up production / built up a stock.

They mentioned in the Cabal podcast that there was a massive shipment delay due to the producer moving and that has clearly been fixed since.
    Well, I caved. Found it in Germany, so getting it delivered to family and will pick it up in April. Out of stock at Gurugames.
  • Tonka 7 Mar 2019 05:10:19 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well done! I'm exactly the same, a few weeks ago when there were copies of Root falling down from the sky I wasn't interested.

Now that stock is dwindling I'm starting to think I should take a detour on my way home from work so I could snag one of the last copies...

I'm such a sucker.

Edited by Tonka at 06:40:30 07-03-2019
  • GuybrushFreepwood 7 Mar 2019 11:47:14 829 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Yeah, buy an escape room game and a bottle of wine and show her the joys of boardgaming
    Plated a couple of these now with my wife and friends (Exit: Cabin in the Woods and Exit: Polar Station) and really enjoyed them. My daughter recently had a birthday party that had them all playing Mystery at Stargazer Mansion which went down well. I've got two more Exit games to play soon.
  • Tonka 7 Mar 2019 12:16:00 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cabin in the Woods is the one I played and I thought it was brilliant. We had such a good time.

**WARNING MILD SPOILER AHEAD**
    Those two puzzels where you go "They can't have done that can they?" only to find out that... yes. Yes they could.

We were literally high fiving each other. Will definitely get some more.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.