Following Boardgames anyone? Page 343

• GuybrushFreepwood 7 Mar 2019 12:31:17 829 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I know what you mean ref the spoiler. One of those I missed by not seeing the clue when I (badly) double checked. It was good. Polar Station wasn't as good, but was fun.

I'm hoping for more from Murder on the Orient Express.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Mar 2019 14:17:57 5,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I bought The Lost Expedition. It's been on and off my wishlist for a few months so I thought it was about time. Perhaps the thing that swung it was the free promo card I got from Tabletop magazine a couple of months ago.
  • BearFishPie 7 Mar 2019 20:18:27 677 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good call. Iíve found it to be a pleasingly stressful puzzle - and the chunky cards are gorgeous to behold.
  • Tonka 8 Mar 2019 09:14:44 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SU&SD had a Twitch stream of them playing SEAL Team Flix (the game I'm kind of wanting to buy) and it was not a pretty sight.

Quinns acted dungeon master, despite there being no need for one, and (even worse) not knowing the rules. Matt was hungover and seemed to be in a very foul mood acting like a grumpy three year old.

It might be that I'm biased because I think the whole Tactical Dungeon Crawler with Dexterity Gameplay mix is so damn fascinating, and that I was hoping they would love the shit out of it (so I could buy it).

But this play through felt so half-hearted it's basically of no use. Near the end they start talking about this being a behind the scenes of how games get tested, which frankly left me feeling a bit disappointed. If this truly reflect how they test games then I'd rather not have known.
  • Tonka 10 Mar 2019 17:44:45 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Another successful have of Leaving Earth. Had an astronaut on the moon for a year and managed to bring him back.

Much thanks to poor Yuri Gagarin who was burnt to cinders when a heat shield failed a few years earlier during an important development phase.

I'd love to play this with my group. It works well solo but there's not enough tension. It's too easy to play it safe (Yuri might disagree) and the game becomes a bit mechanical.

With others breathing down your neck I think it would truly shine.
  • OllyJ 10 Mar 2019 22:47:01 4,455 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Been getting into board games recently. Looking for some recommendations.

First is a good intro game for my gf so we can play at home, something easy to get to grips with but fun, I quite like Pandemic but can see it still being too high an entry point.

Also for myself, is the dark souls game fun single player? I really like the look of it. But would like to play it myself every so often before trying to enforce it on the household!
  • TheRealBadabing 10 Mar 2019 23:06:28 1,858 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @OllyJ Ticket to Ride is an easy suggestion but also look at Splendor, Azul, Catan and Forbidden Desert.

Huge generalisation but in my experience the smarter sex tends to like cooperative or at least less adversarial games. Try to avoid stuff where you might use the phrase "I'm attacking your..."
  • Mola_Ram 11 Mar 2019 03:33:51 19,865 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We had a decent board game day yesterday. We played:

Broom Delivery
    Root
    The Mind
    Castles of Mad King Ludwig
    The Brigade

Broom Delivery was great. It's competitive, but more of the "I'm going to trump the card you played" kind of thing, rather than you directly attacking people. Easy to learn too, which certainly helps.

Root was pretty rough. I won in a Vagabond coalition as the Woodland Alliance, but I don't think any of us really understood what we were doing. I definitely want to play it more, but the factions are so asynchronous that it becomes very tricky to learn. I don't think the rules are very well-written either.

Castles was very good, though I wish it were a bit prettier - it's a very plain design, and just looks cheap.

The Mind is probably the weirdest card game I've ever played. I don't know if I liked it or not, but it is kind of amazing.

And The Brigade is a fantasy firefighting game. The style really reminded me of Discworld. Maybe give it a look if you want something a bit different.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2019 05:39:41 5,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @OllyJ

Watch some video reviews together and let her pick a game that appeals to her.

Lighter gateway games are Ticket to Ride, Reef, Azul, Carcassonne, Sushi Go, Love Letter, Queen/Kingdomino, Splendor, Dixit series, Barenpark. Many games by the publisher days of Wonder should be appropriate. Also look at recent Spiel design Jahres winners.

If you're only playing 2p then obviously pick a game that is best with two. There are a lot of excellent games that are fine with two but better with more.
  • OllyJ 11 Mar 2019 06:16:46 4,455 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich cheers I'll have a look. About watching reviews, that's not gonna happen I'm afraid. This would have to be all my decision. I'll have a look at those though, co-op games do appeal.
  • Tonka 11 Mar 2019 06:26:12 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @OllyJ my new go to recommendation for people that want to get their partner into boardgaming is to get one of the many escape room games.

I've only played EXIT the Cabin in the Woods (or some such, Cabin was definitely a part of the title). Great fun, shows off that games can be more than roll & move and it's coop.

Forbidden Island / or Desert are Pandemic Lite, so they could be the perfect on ramp for full on Pandemic or maybe even Pandemic Legacy later on.

Also, if you think Dark Souls look good and you want to play it solo. Get Gloomhaven instead. You won't get the nice minis but you will get a great (if somewhat fiddly) dungeon crawler that works really well solo (plus you could let your partner drop in whenever you feel like it).

Another go to two player get my partner into boardgaming recommendation of mine is Patchwork. Simple, yet pleasantly thinky, tile laying game for two.

Oh, take a look at some videos for Wingspan. Looks like a perfect gateway/mid-weight game (if you can handle the theme).
  • FWB 11 Mar 2019 06:59:50 55,869 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fog Of Love is quite good too, especially if you do a little roleplaying - expand on the stories it gives you. But you can just play it as is. Gets into its own when you open the final story pack, allowing for break ups.

It also has the best learn to play system in any game I've played.
  • OllyJ 11 Mar 2019 07:11:53 4,455 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ok brilliant thanks for this info. Awesome
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2019 07:47:21 5,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also look at Cottage Garden, Indian Summer and Spring Meadow. They are all variations on a Tetris tile laying theme and have fairly simple rules.

Sagrada, too. Forgot about it earlier.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:49:41 11-03-2019
  • McGeeza 11 Mar 2019 13:29:07 1,963 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The missus has really enjoyed Quacks of Quedlingberg and Chronicles of Crime recently.
  • CrispyLog 11 Mar 2019 17:32:30 126 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

And The Brigade is a fantasy firefighting game. The style really reminded me of Discworld. Maybe give it a look if you want something a bit different.
    I was so close to kick-starting that as the Discworldesque style appealled to me and it seemed an interesting game. Did you kickstart it or is it on sale now? So it's worth getting then?
  • Mola_Ram 11 Mar 2019 21:20:24 19,865 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyLog wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

I was so close to kick-starting that as the Discworldesque style appealled to me and it seemed an interesting game. Did you kickstart it or is it on sale now? So it's worth getting then?
    The person whose copy it was did Kickstart it, so maybe it's not available in regular release yet. I don't know.

It's a good game, but I didn't get the initial "oh wow this is GREAT" feeling that I've gotten from other games. We did only play with the simple rules though, so maybe next time we'll increase the complexity.
  • Tonka 12 Mar 2019 07:04:48 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    New Kickstarter. It's based one for one on my thoughts on the subject matter but at the same time it falls into the "a joke taken too far" category.

Then I see Rodney Smiths t-shirt and I want to throw my life savings at it.

Offensive Adult Party Game
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2019 07:16:34 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Long article in the NY Times about the mastermind behind Wingspan.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/science/wingspan-board-game-elizabeth-hargrave.html
  • rice_sandwich 13 Mar 2019 07:22:34 5,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Boardgames have been fairly mainstream for the last two or three years and get mainstream media media coverage so the above article is fairly common. A lot of the coverage is for gateway games but that's fair enough as I doubt the average uninformed person is looking to play a really heavy euro.

I'm waiting for the big crash and the contraction of the market given the massive saturation of new games, many of which are often decent but not great.
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2019 07:48:10 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it's a fairly common theme in the podcasts I'm listening to that the hosts point out that you no longer can buy every game that comes out.

Some companies must crumble I think. I wonder if the general trend will stay though. That more people will play boardgames. A bit like skateboarding is now a constant thing.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Mar 2019 08:19:57 5,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hope more people will keep playing but I think that the market will shrink a little bit at least. Ten or fifteen years ago it was fairly easy to keep up with the best games but now it's very difficult. There are only a handful of truly innovative releases each year, not to mention that average prices appear to be far higher.

When I'm looking at new releases I usually think 'Oh that is like xyz but with better graphics or a solo mode'. It's not often I'm surprised by a clever new mechanic.

I suppose the recent trend for conflict heavy multiplayer games that casts glances at empire building and RTS video games have drawn in a lot of video game nerds and may account for some of the bump in interest. But for my money there will always be a place for themes such as building castles in 15th century Germany.
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2019 08:44:37 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd say that themes are diversifying if anything. Truly innovative games will probably be fewer and fewer but there should be an increase of interesting new combinations.

Like SEAL Team Flix.

I wonder how many truly great games that just get lost in avalanche though.
  • BearFishPie 13 Mar 2019 09:34:43 677 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I canít remember which podcast it was - possibly Board Game Design Lab - but they mentioned that thereís a fairly common purchase pattern in board gaming (which I fit squarely into) where on initially being drawn into the hobby (I.e. the first couple of years) they buy loads of games, then some combination of shelf capacity/oversaturation/budgetary constraints/over familiarity means the purchase rate drops right down. So on that basis the market is heavily dependent on bringing new people into the hobby, and whether or not we see some kind of crash could well come down to how much bigger the market can be grown.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Mar 2019 09:42:30 5,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It all comes down to shelf space in the end. I'm maxed out as I'm not willing to devote any further space on my shelves. I have one of those big Kallax units from IKEA (apologies to Tonka for any spelling mistakes) and decided that all of my hobby stuff has to fit in it. Now if I get a new game an old one has to go.
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2019 11:00:08 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was easily more excited a year or two ago (when I got back into the hobby after over a decade). There were so many games I wanted to buy (and bought). There are still games I want but my limited time actually playing the damn things is my biggest hurdle.

I'll back On Mars for sure and it's getting increasingly likely that I'll buy SEAL Team Flix (I'm reading the rules errata on bgg , that's how far down the AIDA funnel I am). Root is a weird exception. I soooo much wanted it, but I've cooled because I know I have a cue of games to play before it. Plus, Escape Plan is on the boat from China.

I can definitely see the market shrinking due to all the afore mentioned reasons but I think there are a few more years of growth ahead of us.
  • Zyrr 13 Mar 2019 14:32:50 356 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If anyone missed the Tainted Grail Kickstarter and still fancied getting it with all the stretch goals, the late pledges went live today:

https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/tainted-grail?
  • DevilsKebab 13 Mar 2019 15:06:20 751 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had an awesome game of Fortune and Glory last night, Ameritrash at it's random finest!
    House-ruled to remove the roll-to-move mechanic, but other than that, lots of fun was had, running all over the world, fighting Nazis and Mobsters, crossing rope bridges, sneaking on to Zeppelins and submarines.

If you've never played this game before and are OK with strong narrative games, Will Wheaton did a play through on table-top.

Edited by DevilsKebab at 15:06:29 13-03-2019
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2019 16:04:47 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    About Root...

There's now a copy of it tucked away in my cupboard.

I can explain...
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2019 16:05:47 29,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DevilsKebab never heard of it. Sounds fun.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.