Following Boardgames anyone? Page 344

• FWB 13 Mar 2019 23:34:01 55,869 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Played Narcos on the weekend. Only other hidden movement I've played is the Pandemic addon, but the former was a lot of fun. The theme runs throughout and it's very tense.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Mar 2019 06:42:50 19,865 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We played Root again.

I think I understand it a lot more now. It's definitely one of those games that just clicks at some point - it's just very hard to teach, because you need to know and explain the mechanics of four very different factions.

I don't think I'm going to win as the alliance quite as easily now, because the other players know that they have to get rid of my sympathy as much as possible. Before they were trying to stay away from me because they didn't want to give me cards, but I ended up spreading support through my soldiers everywhere. The two "hard" factions (alliance and vagabond) get really powerful, but only if you leave them alone.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 06:47:17 14-03-2019
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2019 07:14:53 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    From what I've read and heard about Root it sounds like a game that evolves a lot with the group in a somewhat unusual way. It sounds as if strategies are very dependent on what others are doing and what others are expecting you to do.

Writing it down that sounds like any other boardgame. I can't quite explain what I mean. Maybe that it's not just the board state that affects what to do but also (more so?) the players and your previous experience of them.

Hmmm.. that also sounds like every other boardgame.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Mar 2019 07:29:43 19,865 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the thing that makes it relatively tricky to learn (the extremely asynchronous factions) is also what makes it really interesting and compelling.

It reminds me a bit of A Distant Plain, another massively complicated game that tries to simulate the war in Afghanistan. Root is a lot easier (and more fun), but it has a similar dynamic with the rulers and insurgent factions and such.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:35:12 14-03-2019
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2019 08:08:52 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I've seen it compared to COIN games a lot. Some say Root is better due to the fact that it's not trying to illustrate a real conflict. Some call it a COIN light.

Either way I loved soloing Cuba Libre so one of the excuses I made for buying Root is that It can be a gateway to that for my group. (And CL being the entry level COIN we might then move on to Liberty or Death that my friend bought after a few beers on the company christmas party (yes, we're veeery geeky at my office))
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2019 13:21:07 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Did anyone her play Stargazers Manor?

I bought a cheap copy to play with my kids and I wonder if it's suitable for 9 year olds? Not too tricky is it?
  • Gregolution 14 Mar 2019 15:25:27 9,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    We played Root again.

I don't think I'm going to win as the alliance quite as easily now, because the other players know that they have to get rid of my sympathy as much as possible.
    That's very interesting. I was unbeaten in 3 games as woodland alliance until people started to ignore me. I found that much harder to deal with than if they keep destroying my sympathy.

New expansion is up on KS right now. just backed it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Mar 2019 15:58:39 32,186 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Was going to wait for the retail version of the new expansion, but the new deck and vagabond meeples may sway me towards backing... At least I know Root is a proven entity.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Mar 2019 20:07:19 19,865 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    We played Root again.

I don't think I'm going to win as the alliance quite as easily now, because the other players know that they have to get rid of my sympathy as much as possible.
    That's very interesting. I was unbeaten in 3 games as woodland alliance until people started to ignore me. I found that much harder to deal with than if they keep destroying my sympathy.

New expansion is up on KS right now. just backed it.
    That's true as well, I guess. If they do kill one of your tokens then you get the points for building it up again. But if you want the big points that takes more and more supporter cards of an appropriate suit and an adjacent clearing.

It can get expensive! And you'd be pretty fucked if someone managed to get one of your bases. That almost happened to me with the cats last time.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 20:21:19 14-03-2019
  • Gregolution 15 Mar 2019 09:48:51 9,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

It's a brilliant game really, but you need the same group to continually play it so you can all learn at the same pace. So much is dependant on understanding everyone else's rules.
  • OllyJ 15 Mar 2019 10:18:23 4,455 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had a game of Zombicide last night at the local board game cafe, loved it. Though of the 10 campaigns it did seem rather easy, would like to play again but a more brutal quest.

We also played a nice little quick card game called Skulls which was so simple but a nice little cool down game!

Also purchased Ticket to Ride Europe for home with the fam.
  • danathjo 15 Mar 2019 11:32:24 8,186 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been tempted with Root but just spunked a whole lot on The Pursuit of Happiness KS. My main group is probably a bit lightweight for Root as I hear it's quite tricky and it's not great 2 player apparently. Always tempted but don't really need it.

Need to play more of my already owned games really.
  • Gregolution 15 Mar 2019 13:36:49 9,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    I hear it's quite tricky and it's not great 2 player apparently. Always tempted but don't really need it.

It is all of the above.
  • alt-cmd-esc 15 Mar 2019 14:39:23 301 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dune by Avalon Hill is back!! My favourite game is finally getting a reprint \o/ I have a copy of Ilya’s redesign (put together at considerable expense) but will still probably buy the reprint as I have come to the realisation I have no self control when it comes to buying board games :/
  • Tonka 15 Mar 2019 14:59:23 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wow. Even I have heard of it. Will it be a Kickstarter?
  • alt-cmd-esc 15 Mar 2019 16:40:02 301 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don’t think so - being published by Gale Force 9, so should be a standard retail release, presumably to coincide with the new film
  • danathjo 16 Mar 2019 12:15:41 8,186 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never played but I've heard twilight imperium rex is pretty much the same but reskinned?
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2019 07:32:10 19,865 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Root again.

I came in second this time (as the cats), but I was happy to see the Alliance/Vagabond lose for a change.

Right at the start I managed to convince the bird player that neither of us would win if we didn't attack the other two early on. So he smashed the Alliance while I fucked the Vagabond good and proper. Even the Vagabond eventually teaming up with the Woodland Marxists wasn't enough to save them.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 07:34:03 22-03-2019
  • danathjo 22 Mar 2019 10:23:36 8,186 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think Root is the number one game I want to play but not buy. Just love the look of it!

Just played my 3rd game of Wingspan too, right up there with Viticulture for wine and chill night games, just pure class.
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2019 10:25:51 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Will play Gloomhaven tonight (after waaayyy too long). It anoys me because last time I leveled upand figured out how to build my deck and now I can hardly rememebr how to move...

Quick Root question. Why craft shit for the vagabond?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 Mar 2019 11:38:44 32,186 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    To get cards from him in return and also VP from some crafting cards.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2019 13:06:59 19,865 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Generally I don't think it's worth crafting stuff for him, unless you're a couple of VP from winning and you can craft to get across the line. Generally he needs the items far more than you need the crappy cards he'll probably give you in return, and you don't (well, at least I don't) want to be helping him get them.

Of course that all changes if he starts a coalition with you.
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2019 13:14:46 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Generally he needs the items far more than you need the crappy cards he'll probably give you in return, and you don't (well, at least I don't) want to be helping him get them.
    This is what I thought, that's only after playing the introductory play through solo though.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2019 13:24:01 19,865 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At the very least I wouldn't be giving him swords or boots. If you go hostile to the Vagabond (and you probably will if you're the cats or birds), the last thing you want is to be helping him get things he can move and attack you with.
  • Tonka 25 Mar 2019 13:07:22 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We got our asses kicked in Gloomhaven. It was a side quest (or was it?) anyway and we needed the loot and XP so fine I guess. Biggest take away is that we need to start playing it smarter. Plan stuff out better once the cards are revealed and play much much more tactically.

I'm home with a sick child today and played a solo game of Leaving Earth. Managed to set up a permanent colony on Mars. That's thanks to my probe discovering edible vegetation nigh on a decade before my astronauts landed though. No need to bring extra supplies.

It was tight though, at the end of the year before I managed to get re-entry right. Otherwise they'd been forced to either starve to death in Mars Orbit or burn up on the way down to the surface. Solar radiation was vicious as well and both my mechanic and pilot were on the brink of dying. Good thing the medic was there to save them.

It's a game that keeps me bewildered. Not sure if it's to mechanical or not. I spent a good 30minutes planning out how to get people to Mars and back and I was on the brink of thinking it wasn't possible. Then I realised some things and recalculated some other things etc. But next time I will have an answer so where's the challenge?

On the other hand I got lucky and found supplies on Mars, which might not happen next time. But there's still that thing of just doing a bunch of calculations and then seeing them through. Such a strange little game.

I love the stories it tells and the enormous freedom it provides, but I can see a point where I see a mission "Man on Venus and Back" say, and know exactly what needs to be done. It needs an opponent but I'd dread to sit there and stare at them as they math shit out for 30 minutes.
  • AaronTurner 28 Mar 2019 14:59:20 10,803 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My Gloom of Kilforth Kickstarter was delivered today. I have no idea when I am going to feel up for playing this, having two kids really takes the energy out of you...
  • Tonka 28 Mar 2019 15:07:52 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Twins?

I have two but they're old enough to not be too much of a hassle. 6 & 8.5
  • Gregolution 28 Mar 2019 15:30:33 9,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm thinking about taking my 10 year old to UKGE with me. Kids are fun when they get older!

And I get to leave his nasty siblings at home for my wife to deal with :D
  • AaronTurner 28 Mar 2019 16:25:59 10,803 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Twins?

I have two but they're old enough to not be too much of a hassle. 6 & 8.5
    Not twins but it would be physically impossible to have them any closer in age! It's tough work. Eldest one is 20 months.

Edited by AaronTurner at 16:26:27 28-03-2019
  • Tonka 28 Mar 2019 17:41:21 29,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My sympathies. The first few years are tough. But! There's a light at the end of it. Like Gregolution said, they're a lot of fun as they get older. (Weirdly enough you'll miss the baby years but that's another topic).

I've played some excellent games of Forbidden Island and I just got my asd kicked in Looping Louis. Both great games in their own way

Can't wait for the kids to be good enough at English to play a dungeon crawler or Near and Far or some such. Maybe even The 7th Continent will get some love again?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.