Boardgames anyone? Page 351

• Nemesis 30 Jul 2019 06:56:02 19,559 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The weather turned shit so I might be giving the Escape Plan solo rules a go
    Board game weather!
  • Gregolution 30 Jul 2019 09:51:48 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Aeonís End Legacy ... any good? People say itís a good launching place for the series and I only really started taking notice of it a few days back...
    I've played Aeon's end quite a bit, it's a decent deck builder but not tried Legacy. A friend of mine I introduced base game to says it's fantastic though. He claims it's a better starting point and the best legacy game he's played.
  • DamoVotf 30 Jul 2019 12:11:48 1,465 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I need to stop reading this thread, just got surviving Mars and Im already buying Aeon's End jsut cause it says Legacy.
  • Tonka 30 Jul 2019 12:22:16 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    The weather turned shit so I might be giving the Escape Plan solo rules a go
    Board game weather!
    Plus my wife is back at work! A few moves in on Escape Plan and I can see the light.

It's delicious.
  • Gregolution 30 Jul 2019 12:57:02 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

Plus my wife is back at work!

Lucky fkr. I've been waiting a loooooooooong time for that to happen
  • Hog-lumps 30 Jul 2019 13:43:06 1,088 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Is all this chat about Cosmic Encounters because of the new anniversary edition? Anything special about it that changed and updated?
    "In the 42nd Anniversary Edition, Fantasy Flight Games brings new components including beautiful, translucent spaceships, so you can conquer the galaxy in style. You can also shake up the way you play with a new playable race, Demon, previously only released at Cosmic Con. Finally, the introduction of Cosmic Combo cards, which suggest themed alien match-ups, creates interesting gameplay interactions and new challenges to overcome."

From the manufacturers website.
  • BearFishPie 30 Jul 2019 15:47:21 740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, Black Angel looks really good to me. Itís going to take some willpower not to get it.

Iíve been playing the Castles of Burgundy card game solo lately - itís an interesting take on a solo mode, where the AI gains however many points each round according to a card draw, and to stay in the game you have to match or exceed its score by the end of each round. Really forces you to focus on immediate gains, as you really need to start hauling points in quickly if you donít want to crash out.
  • Gregolution 30 Jul 2019 16:05:17 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's everyone's favourite solo game?

I think I'm between Arkham horror LCG and 7th Continent.

I would love a really complex Euro points scorer solo game though...

Edited by Gregolution at 16:05:39 30-07-2019
  • BearFishPie 30 Jul 2019 16:50:15 740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gregolution A good question! I usually end up choosing solo play on relatively fast playing games like Assembly, One Deck Dungeon and the CoB card game rather than heavier duty fare, though pretty much bought On Mars for solo play as something really appeals to me about Matt Damoning away on it.

Iíve not soloed much of my collection yet, but I did thoroughly enjoy soloing Agricola recently.
  • BearFishPie 30 Jul 2019 16:51:50 740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gregolution Might be worth a look at The Brothers Murphís ĎYou Can Solo That?í series if youíre looking for soloable euro inspiration
  • BearFishPie 30 Jul 2019 16:51:51 740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Tonka 30 Jul 2019 17:03:21 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm a sucker for Shadowrun Crossfire but I haven't played it for a while. Great solo though.

I very much enjoyed Leaving Earth but I think it needs a proper bot or some patient, equally nerdy, real life opponents to truly shine.

Cuba Libre made my brain tingle with excitement but I never used the boys, played all sides against myself. Again, can't really judge it.

The Lost Expedition was fun but a bit too hard.

Will try the solo rules for Escape Plan tomorrow. Proper crunchy euro with not one, but TWO bots to tackle.
  • Gregolution 30 Jul 2019 17:39:56 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

Let us know how it goes

I have played Gaia Project solo a few times and think it works really well, but I get a regular game of it so feels like there's no real point.
  • Nemesis 30 Jul 2019 18:44:48 19,559 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A mix of AH, LOTR and Uwe Rosenberg stuff.

Saying that, Iím not against a bit of Pandemic in solo mode. I just keep bouncing off of Dragonfire even though I know itís me.

Mostly...I watch unboxing videos, sleeve cards, and play the game of Get Things Out Of Boxes Then Put Them Back. It seems to be something I really enjoy.
  • Nemesis 30 Jul 2019 18:46:18 19,559 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:
    Aeonís End Legacy ... any good? People say itís a good launching place for the series and I only really started taking notice of it a few days back...
    I've played Aeon's end quite a bit, it's a decent deck builder but not tried Legacy. A friend of mine I introduced base game to says it's fantastic though. He claims it's a better starting point and the best legacy game he's played.
    50 quid though; the Rolling Solo channel almost had me convinced then I looked out a window and lost complete interest and read a book instead. So that went well!
  • Gregolution 30 Jul 2019 19:07:46 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Mostly...I watch unboxing videos, sleeve cards, and play the game of Get Things Out Of Boxes Then Put Them Back. It seems to be something I really enjoy.
    lol
  • Tonka 30 Jul 2019 19:29:05 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Heh, I have a great puzzle/dexterity game called
    Try to Fit All the Games Inside Your Cabinet.

I even got the expansion for it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Jul 2019 19:39:49 32,494 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GMT are kings when it comes to solo games.

Space Empires 4x and Empire of the Sun are excellent solo. Just playing through Peloponnesian War at the moment, which is very cool so far and I've just had Liberty or Death turn up.

I have issues.
  • rice_sandwich 30 Jul 2019 19:55:41 5,921 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gregolution

Probably a Feast for Odin or Fields of Arle (with expansion). I've been waiting for several months for a back order of the Odin expansion. It patches up some the weaker aspects of the game. Hope it arrives in the new few weeks.
  • Gregolution 30 Jul 2019 20:11:41 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    GMT are kings when it comes to solo games.

Space Empires 4x and Empire of the Sun are excellent solo. Just playing through Peloponnesian War at the moment, which is very cool so far and I've just had Liberty or Death turn up.

I have issues.
    Quite intrigued by the games you play, you always bring up War stuff I've never even heard of! And I feel like I spend half my life looking up board games.
  • rice_sandwich 30 Jul 2019 20:44:07 5,921 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

This Empire of the Sun?

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-645-empire-of-the-sun-3rd-printing.aspx

I've seen a few reviews of it and it looks incredibly complicated with long chains of units triggering other units and so on.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Jul 2019 21:31:10 32,494 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's the one. I wont lie, it literally took me a week and a half to get my head round it. However, I'm sort of there now and it's superb.

@Gregolution Heh, I've sort stumbled into this. Started with getting SE4x as it looked like the best space 4x around (which it is), then they made Space Corp which I had to get, then Time Crisis, then Combat Commander and then and then and then...

There's just something appealing pure and thinky about them and GMT do some seriously interesting stuff with them. Plus GMT somehow know how to make cardboard chits looks quite sexy.
  • Tonka 31 Jul 2019 07:36:29 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, GMT productions are true marvels. Basic, yet superb.
  • alt-cmd-esc 31 Jul 2019 08:23:54 387 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really enjoyed Obsession solo, but have just ordered Raiders of the Deep, which looks like a great solo game. Also stumbled across a game called Winged Victory which looks superb. Just got to wait on delivery from France and Italy (neither game was available in the UK)
  • Gregolution 31 Jul 2019 09:10:30 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

Which one would you recommend to me as a first to get into? Not necessarily the easiest, I'm very happy to learn really heavy games.

For space 4x I've got the new Eclipse coming to me eventually and that's it.
  • jaxon58 31 Jul 2019 13:15:51 2,512 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My favourite solos -

Robinson Crusoe
    Thunderstone Quest (Barricade Mode)
    Marvel Legendary
    Hostage Negotiator
  • Tonka 31 Jul 2019 14:03:45 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Escape Plan was good fun with the bots. My only problem is that I end up playing standing up so the ergonomics weren't great.

Alas, the lack of human interaction was felt. Not that there's any player interaction in game. What I missed was the facepalms when someone realise they've made a huge mistake, or the fist pumps when someone is making a killer move.

So my favorite solos are
    Shadowrun Crossfire followed by Leaving Earth
  • Gregolution 31 Jul 2019 14:09:28 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jaxon58 wrote:
    Thunderstone Quest (Barricade Mode)
    Is it good? I've almost bought Thunderstone about 25 times now I think. Always back out last second.

There's something cheesy about the art I really dislike and my one 2 player game dragged on way too long I thought.

However, I absolutely love deck builders and everyone always recommends it.

I'd pay top coin for the Gloomhaven of deckbuilders.

Edited by Gregolution at 14:09:51 31-07-2019
  • Gregolution 31 Jul 2019 14:35:37 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Black Angel is getting a lot of love in the run up to GenCon. I like the theme and Troyes (which this is apparently similar to) is constantly popping up on people's best games of all times.

why did you have to bring this to my attention....... looks really cool. And has a really good solo mode apparently. I'm hovering over pre order......
  • StarchildHypocrethes 31 Jul 2019 15:58:06 32,494 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @StarchildHypocrethes

Which one would you recommend to me as a first to get into? Not necessarily the easiest, I'm very happy to learn really heavy games.

For space 4x I've got the new Eclipse coming to me eventually and that's it.
    Your best bet is to pick a theme you enjoy and go from there.

From what I've got Space Empires plus its expansions is just an all encompassing 4x title. Only downside is that you track resources and upgrades etc old skool style with a pencil and pad. But it actually works quite well as there's no faff.The base game solo mode is fairly basic, but the expansions add full on bot alien empires.

Space Corp is a sort of deck building space exploration, business, board game. Cool use of three different boards for different eras of space travel. Surprisingly easy to play and quite unique. Solo mode is a race against a bot.

Time of Crisis is a straight up brilliant deck building war / political game set in the fall of the Roman Republic. Expansion adds up to 3 other bots for solo play alongside extra cards.

Peloponnesian War is set as per the name. It's a fully solo game, which has a unique take where you play one side until certain criteria happen, when you then switch sides and then potentially do it again. It's really good.

Empire of the Sun is a card driven war game set in the WW2 pacific theatre. The main mechanics are very complex but offer so much depth. Two player is amazing. The solo bot is a mensa-esque decision chart that once you get your head round works very well.

Combat Commander is a card driven squad level tactical wargame. Surprisingly easy and breezy, but with plenty of decisions. Generates a cracking narrative. No dedicated solo mode, but can play both sides easy enough.

Liberty or Death, I've only just started, but it's one of the renowned COIN series. These may be your best bet to start as they are generally thought of a euro/war game hybrid. Card driven in a sense, but with wooden pieces and very interesting rule sets. Each game has up to 3 solo bots to play against if you want. LoB is particularly sexy looking for a game, but the series covers a wealth of themes so pick your favourite, I was just quite interested in the US war of independence. The new Gandhi one looks interesting. Fire in the Lake also looks very cool.

So...um...yeah. I think that might not help.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.