Boardgames anyone? Page 353

• StarchildHypocrethes 7 Aug 2019 18:15:22 32,494 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I got the recent 2nd edition of The Ancient World from the same guys, that had been kickstarted, from my local store and it had all the KS extras in it, cool metal coins and all.
  • Gregolution 7 Aug 2019 18:32:34 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I'm really tempted to back Sleeping Gods. Send to be more like the game I hoped 7th Continent would be.

On the other hand... I could wait for it to hot the shelves of actual stores. Would miss out on the metal coins I guess but I'm not too keen on the idea of putting metal on cardboard anyway.
    Yeah I'm probably going to back it. Love 7th Continent too though. You might end up hating it just as much? They're very similar.
  • Gregolution 7 Aug 2019 21:21:23 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played my first game of Res arcana. It's like race for the galaxy combined with terra mystica. Strong nerd boner
  • Tonka 7 Aug 2019 23:02:20 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't hate 7th Continent any more. I think I'll give it another go actually.

Sleeping Gods looks quite different game play wise. The constant crafting isn't there for one. That's the but I didn't fully got on with.

Will probably not back, but instead buy, Sleeping Gods.
  • ZuluHero 7 Aug 2019 23:09:34 7,691 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played Above and Below tonight with my usual group, really love the duel aspect of building a village and going on adventures.

Hope to play it more, though my friend also had Near and Far on his shelf, so would like to see if too to compare.
  • Tonka 8 Aug 2019 20:41:18 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Today I visited Orks Nest near ... Soho I guess? Seven dials@ Neal's Yard?

Anyway, great selection for such a tiny little store. Could have spent a fortune on the GMT shelf alone. Seeing Combat Commander Europe in the flesh tickled my geek.

Rex Arcana, as just mentioned by Gregolution, was there in all its reasonably sized boxedness.

I didn't notice until I sent a picture to a friend that Ganz Schön Clever was there. Might have actually bought it if I'd seen it.
  • Gregolution 9 Aug 2019 09:01:14 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Played Above and Below tonight with my usual group, really love the duel aspect of building a village and going on adventures.

Hope to play it more, though my friend also had Near and Far on his shelf, so would like to see if too to compare.
    That's the last game from the guy making Sleeping Gods isn't it?
  • Gregolution 9 Aug 2019 09:03:44 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

Oh you're in the big smoke? I was going to mention Orks Nest as well when you asked about FLGs but I never go in there and hear it's so small. Good to hear they have a decent collection.

Seven Dials is Covent Garden I believe. Close to Soho tho
  • Tonka 10 Aug 2019 18:41:01 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes, I'm in Lahndahn. Constantly speaking in my best British accent.
    "Ah pint of bitter please kind sir!"

Didn't even know Covent garden was a full on neighborhood. Thought it was just that place.
  • Nemesis 10 Aug 2019 21:25:41 19,559 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well the price of Charterstone has certainly dropped! Just picked it up for 17 delivered.
  • ZuluHero 10 Aug 2019 22:08:29 7,691 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Gregolution yep! My friend mentioned that he's getting it as well, I think it was a kickstarter? so I'm sure I'll also get to play that at some point as well.

I really enjoyed Above and Below, there's some great story telling on adventures below, adding an extra element to the village building. I hear Near and Far takes it further and I'm sure Sleeping Gods will take it even further.
  • Tonka 13 Aug 2019 18:36:36 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My copy of Pax Pamir 2nd edition showed up today. What a gorgeous production. Even my wife was impressed.
  • Gregolution 14 Aug 2019 08:23:39 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Backed Sleeping Gods.
  • Tonka 14 Aug 2019 14:24:31 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It looks Ace. I've seen rahdo run through it and it seems like a game I could enjoy. I'm tempted to back but I'll try to wait and buy it from a store instead.

Afaik I'll mostly be missing out on metal coins and a painted boat.
  • Tonka 14 Aug 2019 18:50:33 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fucking hell. One of the Pax Pamir cards was damaged on the face.

After my last replacement part got stuck in customs I swore to not bother with requesting replacements again.

But damn... so annoying.
  • rice_sandwich 14 Aug 2019 19:10:18 5,921 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My kickstarter for the Snowdonia Deluxe Master Set has finally shipped! It only took 14 months.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Aug 2019 21:42:53 32,494 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've spent all week doing the Terra Mystica or Gaia Project... Terra Mystica or Gaia Project... Terra Mystica or Gaia Project dance and have finally just ordered GP.

I hope I've made the right choice.
  • Gregolution 14 Aug 2019 23:37:33 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I've spent all week doing the Terra Mystica or Gaia Project... Terra Mystica or Gaia Project... Terra Mystica or Gaia Project dance and have finally just ordered GP.

I hope I've made the right choice.
    Mate ! You should have asked me. The answer is simple. If you play with 4+ people , terra mystica. Otherwise GP.

TM is a better game with 4 players. But GP is excellent at 3 or 2.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 Aug 2019 07:49:25 32,494 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ah, cheers dude. Will mainly be 2 or 3, so I thought the reduced board and option to add an automa to spice things up would be good.

I just don't like the aesthetic of GP. Much prefer the chilled palette and art and the board and wooden pieces in TM. Ah well.
  • Tonka 15 Aug 2019 09:20:52 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My torn card. Am I being pedantic or does this warrant a replacement?
    (I won't ask for a replacement since that will end up with me paying a customs fee)

https://i.imgur.com/tU35tN2.png
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 Aug 2019 09:49:52 32,494 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You could probably claim for one. I'd be annoyed but probably wouldn't bother. At least it doesn't impact on text or anything.
  • Tonka 15 Aug 2019 13:30:48 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Joe Fatula (designer of Leaving Earth) has left Lumenaris (makers and distributers of Leaving Earth. And not on good terms either.

My still sealed copy of the (now slightly outdated) first edition of the second expansion, Stations, might be worth holding on to.

The game os currently in stock (with expansions) at a swedish retailer: https://alphaspel.se/search/?query=Leaving+Earth
  • Gregolution 15 Aug 2019 20:44:17 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Burgle bros 2 on Kickstarter
  • Gregolution 18 Aug 2019 10:48:09 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wife and kids away. I'm going to the pub to play board games all afternoon :D
  • Tonka 19 Aug 2019 07:55:42 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution How was it? How does it even work? Do you bring your own games or was it a boardgaming pub? Did you arrange with people beforehand or just crash a party of three and force them to play a game of Meltwater?

By the way... anyone seen Tapestry? Looks like it could be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vROx_i7wys
  • Gregolution 19 Aug 2019 13:56:45 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

Yeah I'm all over Tapestry. Definitely ordering next month. Been reading the dev diary , it sounds excellent.

The meetup is in a bar - it's called London on Board. They have meetups every single day of the week. I need to start going regularly, I've been useless for ages.

Had an enjoyable game of Underwater Cities in which I came dead last. :)

And more in answer to your questions - yes you can bring your own, but there are lots there and usually when you sign up you try and organise a game on the message board before hand.

Edited by Gregolution at 13:57:19 19-08-2019
  • Tonka 21 Aug 2019 10:10:01 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Started teaching myself how to play Pax Pamir 2nd Edition by soloing three tribes.
    Wow. I need to get my groups geek level up. As much as I enjoy Scythe (I do, a lot) this and Cuba Libre have really made my synapses tingle with joy.n

So many options, so many juicy decisions. So many "I'd like to do this, but on the other hand that would, so if I just manage to, then maybe if the next roound gives me the chance to, but oooohh that player could, so I better.."

Thankfully Pax Pamir comes with a bot so I can always do proper solo sessions.
  • Gregolution 21 Aug 2019 12:35:37 9,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

How's Gaia Project going? Both games are just absolutely genius imo. Ill buy anything those 2 mad Germans make.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Aug 2019 21:13:55 32,494 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution I ended up changing my mind again and cancelled and ordered Terra Mystica instead :) Turned up yesterday, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I love the look and feel of it compared to the mish mash that GP appears to be whenever I see it. Plus I found a 2-3 player variant on BG that trims down the board size and some solo automata cards someone has made that I'll try out.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 21:14:29 21-08-2019
  • Tonka 22 Aug 2019 06:37:13 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There's an info dump bonanza of Tapestry going on. My favourite Riodney SMit is breaking out the kerds in an How to play and Rahdo is doing his thing over on his channel

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.