Boardgames anyone? Page 358

• Gregolution 5 Sep 2019 17:54:27 9,481 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So Tapestry is on bgextras for 60 quid pre order. I paid 80 quid for it direct from StoneMaier games. What the hell is going on?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Sep 2019 21:25:20 32,338 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ordering direct from a publisher is bound to always be the most expensive route isn't it?
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2019 05:42:06 29,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Is it a placeholder price?
  • Anhunedd 6 Sep 2019 09:47:27 54 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't think it is due via retailers until November, so you are paying to have it over a month early. Also, if you are a Stonemaier Champion, you get $10 off shipping, which means it was $81 shipped from them, which with a fee free card, is £66 even given the BrexitOmniShambles effect.

Given BGExtras adds £6 P&P, it's pretty much equal.

OK, Champion costs $12 per year, but that P&P discount means getting all the hard-to-get add-ons they publish direct from Stonemaier can be a whole lot easier than sourcing them elsewhere. Those metal mechs for Scythe look mighty tempting...

That said, BGExtras is an epic store too. I always check their prices first, just a shame their range is a bit limited.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Sep 2019 11:18:18 14,645 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played Cosmic Encounter for the first time last night. It was good and I would like to play it again.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2019 11:37:16 29,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll be soloing Pax Pamir 2ndE tonight.
    I used to scoff at card-based games. Thought the idea of just having a bunch of cars was boring compared to cool chits and minis and dice and boards etc.

But I've realised that some of my favourite games experiences have been card-driven. Shadowrun Crossfire, Pax Pamir, Flamme Rouge. Maybe I should buy some pure card games. Like.. Arboretum maybe.
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2019 11:38:41 9,481 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess I'm the fool then. I had no idea I'd be paying significantly more to get it early. I just wanted to buy the game, and I'm very tight - I'd happily wait to get a cheaper price.

I don't like the champions comparison since, as you mention - you have to pay for that too. I dont do subscriptions. I've never bought anything from them before and never will again so I'm hardly going to sub for postage discounts.

I've paid a 20% premium , it's crazy imo. But other online retailers are selling for 80 quid with a 20% discount! Why is bgextras so cheap? Ah wells I'll get over it (or think about it every time I play)
  • Nemesis 6 Sep 2019 12:17:32 19,553 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I don't get the SM Champions sub to be honest.
  • danathjo 6 Sep 2019 18:48:11 8,201 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So got to play a 4 player game of Tapestry earlier tonight and still not sure what to think to be honest. Had a really good time but it definitely took a while to understand it, mainly the income round rules.

By the end I did get it but the fact that everyone was doing this in different order was a bit weird at first but I think this was probably just me. Definitely a game I think it would be unfair to give a proper rating after one play, very eager to play again so hopefully I can do this soon!

It was funny for a game with such a short rulebook it wasn't as smooth as i'd hoped, especially with something like Concordia on my mind as the 4 page rulebook had been heavily hyped. The words fiddly and clunky did come to mind but maybe that's a bit unfair after one play, but there were just quite a few rules forgotten for certain situations including having to remember to keep an eye on what your neighbours were doing for certain bonuses but I was usually too busy trying to plan my next move instead. Also keep in mind it was 3/4 people's first game of Tapestry.

I came convincingly last after finishing my game a decent amount of time before everyone else. I had obviously mismanaged my engines currency but sitting and watching everyone else wasn't something I was not used to but not the end of the world, just totally different to anything else i'd played before.

Honestly I think I need to play it again, ideally a 2-3 player game on the smaller board before deciding to buy it or not.

Someone preferred it over any other SM game, another still preferred Scythe. In conclusion i'd say this is a must play but not quite convinced to buy it yet. Sorry for the ramble, it's currently 3:45am Friday night/Saturday morning here.....goodnight!
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2019 20:21:45 29,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Goodnight and thanks for the initial thoughts.
  • BearFishPie 6 Sep 2019 22:32:04 717 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @danathjo Thanks for sharing your debrief - it sounds like thereís still quite a bit to unpack, and itíll be interesting to see how it gets received once it hits the masses.
  • Tonka 7 Sep 2019 09:45:39 29,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pax Pamir (you all know I'm talking about 2nd edition right?) is such a joy. Great solo experience. Must get my group to play it.
  • Gregolution 7 Sep 2019 09:54:41 9,481 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @danathjo

Cheers for insight. Hopefully the game will grow on you after more plays - the best games do.

I like that you have to pay attention to other people - that's something I want all my games to do. Do you only need to do that to pay attention to shared incomes though? Or is it because what other players do will affect your strategy?
  • Gregolution 7 Sep 2019 09:56:15 9,481 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a bit annoyed Black Angel hasn't shipped yet. I pre ordered in July, a mate of mine pre ordered a week ago and already has his!

Played a couple of games of Res Arcana in the last 24 hours and playing again this afternoon after our Arkham LCG meet. It's a great game, I'd recommend anyone to try it. Typical deep Lehman design, gets better the more you play it but its nice and fast too.
  • Your-Mother 7 Sep 2019 11:16:39 2,939 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Coincidentally I picked up Black Angel yesterday. Gonna solo it this weekend, Iíll let you know some thoughts.

Do you campaign AH lcg or reset fresh each session? Iím currently constructing a couple of decks (Jim Culver and Roland) that I want to see how high I can level them through all campaigns and side stories.
  • danathjo 7 Sep 2019 12:46:47 8,201 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Gregolution You definitely have to keep an eye on everyone as depending what track you decide to go down, the first to certain spots get the particular buildings for their capital city.

Plus add to the fact that all the (16?) different powers varied quite a bit, mine in particular gave me bonuses for not having anyone else ahead of me of each track, this worked well at first as I lead 3/4 of them but because of this I probably spread myself too much which completely backfired on me by the end and didn't get to finish any of them.

It's not particularly hard to grasp but it took me a few rounds to work out how to mitigate my income track properly, by this time I had properly rushed ahead to much and was being passed by everyone in the end causing me to wait on the sidelines for a good 20 or so minutes.

It is a great combination of mechanisms though with 4 completely different tracks to ponder that vary quite a bit. The one science track that I mostly ignored seemed to work pretty nicely for a coupe people. Lots of powerful combo opportunities to be had!

Took a couple pictures mid play if interested, not sure how much sense it will make though!

https://twitter.com/danathjo/status/1169956023215345665
  • Tonka 7 Sep 2019 14:26:05 29,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution send them an email. They might have lost your order.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Sep 2019 14:29:31 32,338 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Christ, Tapestry looks like the worst table hog yet.

Still cant decide if I think it looks good or not. Interested to hear further thoughts from you lot.
  • Gregolution 7 Sep 2019 17:10:08 9,481 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @danathjo

Sounds really good to me. Thanks.

Ugh, I'm burned out guys. 6 hours gaming - Arkham and then 2 games of Res arcana. Need a pint!

Regarding Arkham question above, I only play campaigns really. We just finished scenario 5 of forgotten age. That's my 60th game of Arkham horror. 😁. Still love it.
  • Gregolution 8 Sep 2019 10:33:39 9,481 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I swear my son is an evil genius. 2nd game of Thunderstone quest, he already has every heroes text memorised for every class! He's definitely at least close to having a photographic memory. He reads it out from memory every time I dig through a hero deck to see what the next upgrade gives me.

I can't beat a 10 year old ffs! I might need to find a new hobby. I bet I could beat him at Mixed Martial Arts.
  • danathjo 8 Sep 2019 10:49:55 8,201 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Re: Tapestry (again sorry!)

This guys discussion is pretty damn good to get a feel of the game without actually showing much. Very underrated reviewer (Although he doesn't review much).

https://youtu.be/xoMZfcWuTnw
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2019 14:32:28 29,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Heh, he really killed the Scythe 2.0 comparison I was making. His Leaving Earth video played an important part in me purchasing it. This one had horrible audio.
  • PrivateFloyd 8 Sep 2019 16:00:35 5,205 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really want Leaving Earth but cannot find it for love nor money.

Also, anyone played zombicide?
  • Your-Mother 8 Sep 2019 16:27:07 2,939 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Iíve briefly soloíd the first season, itís pretty decent. Same conceptually as Zombies!!! but with nicer design and better co-op rules. Character leveling is a nice touch. Be warned if you like to paint miniatures itíll take weeks to do just the base set, even if you speed paint it.
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2019 18:27:57 29,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd Keep hammering boardgameprices.com and be prepared to order from another country.

Stock shows up at irregular intervals
  • Gregolution 8 Sep 2019 19:46:29 9,481 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd

I think my copy was from boardgameguru
  • PrivateFloyd 8 Sep 2019 20:18:58 5,205 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Gregolution

Cheers pal.

They have it for £50 pre order with stock due in.

Going to jump at that. Watched a few videos of it and it looks right up my street.

Also just found out there is a remake of zombicide season 1 due on KS soon so will wait for that as well. Those will be my last 2 purchases this year.
  • TheRealBadabing 8 Sep 2019 20:52:44 1,884 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not sure it is strictly a board game but Crokinole is brilliant.

Big old board so awkward to store, fortunately setup is instantaneous and the rules are stupidly easy.

Only got a laminated set at the moment, trying to convince the wife we need a proper work of art in highly polished wood to play "properly".
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Sep 2019 22:42:06 32,338 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Race for the Galaxy is an utter twat to teach.
  • Nemesis 8 Sep 2019 22:52:40 19,553 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    Re: Tapestry (again sorry!)

This guys discussion is pretty damn good to get a feel of the game without actually showing much. Very underrated reviewer (Although he doesn't review much).

https://youtu.be/xoMZfcWuTnw
    How funny. His LOTR review is what got me started playing the game; nice to know heís still around doing reviews !

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.