Boardgames anyone? Page 367

• DevilsKebab 1 Nov 2019 11:58:04 762 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The spirit of Halloween continue tonight, got a session (at least 1 anyway) of Mansions of Madness lined up...
  • OllyJ 1 Nov 2019 12:24:20 4,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We had a Halloween game of Mysterium, it's kinda cool, cross between Dixit and Cluedo. Though I feel it was a it easy, I suggest setting the game up with more cards to choose from to make sure you don't blast through it too quick.
  • Gregolution 1 Nov 2019 16:36:50 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Judge Dredd has arrived. I like the wash they did on the minis, makes a big difference
  • BearFishPie 1 Nov 2019 19:27:51 731 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gregolution good to know! I think itíll only end up getting played solo but most of what Iíve read up suggests it plays best that way anyhow. Iíll always make time for a Vlaada Chvatil game - I find it fascinating how inventive, varied and assured his designs are.
  • Your-Mother 1 Nov 2019 19:42:14 3,225 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm the same with Uwe Rosenberg. His games have this incredible peaceful zen like quality to them, where even the complex and strategically challenging ones feel meditative to play.
  • Gregolution 1 Nov 2019 21:38:40 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BearFishPie

It's not bad 2 player but even that is slow. Don't ever ever play more than 2! I've played it loads but putting it on hold until I get my gaming table. MK is so long it'll be great to be able to set it up, play a day and then close up the table.

I totally agree with his game design, i'm such a huge fan.
  • SamNunn92 2 Nov 2019 20:45:37 856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hoping for a bit of advice - my wife is a big Lord of the Rings fan so I've been thinking about getting her a themed board game for her birthday. I've narrowed it down to either Reinier Knizia's Lord of the Rings or the FFG Journeys in Middle Earth. I'm a bit worried about complexity; we play and enjoy stuff like Ticket to Ride and Pandemic but I think if its much more complicated than those she may lose interest. Any opinions either way? It would in all likelihood just be us 2 playing if that makes a difference.
  • Your-Mother 2 Nov 2019 20:51:03 3,225 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Journeys in Middle Earth in my opinion - the app drives almost everything complex, it looks terrific and is a solid gateway to more complex dungeon crawlers. The core game is extremely straightforward but has quite a bit of replayability. Plus many future expansions are planned.
  • SamNunn92 2 Nov 2019 21:34:04 856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Your-Mother ta mate, I think I was leaning that way but the app handling the complicated stuff is a big plus! Now to try and get hold of a reasonably cheap copy :)
  • BearFishPie 2 Nov 2019 22:40:26 731 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @SamNunn92 Iíve played the Knizia LotR game a couple of times and would say itís a decent enough game but hardly thrilling and somewhat showing itís age. Youíre probably better off with Journeys, as has already been suggested. Though Iíve not played it Iíve enjoyed Mansions of Madness second edition, which it has some similarities to, a great deal. Iíd suggest watching a how to play video if youíre unsure - it should give you a good idea how complicated the game is, whether itís likely to go down well, and of course what you need to know to make the process of teaching it as smooth as possible if you do plump for it.
  • jagg3r 2 Nov 2019 22:41:14 1,341 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anybody looking to offload Village attacks for a reasonable price before I back the reprint on KS?
  • danathjo 2 Nov 2019 22:44:09 8,218 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • danathjo 2 Nov 2019 22:44:47 8,218 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pocket post
  • StarchildHypocrethes 2 Nov 2019 22:58:35 32,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @SamNunn92 War of the Ring is the best LoTR board game out there if you haven't looked at that. It's a 2 player war game that uses its theme perfectly, basically being the entire trilogy in a box.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 2 Nov 2019 23:06:30 32,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you've got a spare half hour, this review gives a great feel for it.

https://youtu.be/HtswnZqjRZg

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 23:06:39 02-11-2019
  • Tonka 3 Nov 2019 07:02:41 29,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @SamNunn92

Can you even find a copy of Reiner Knizias Lord of the Rings? That's definitely the one I would buy, but that's because I don't like apps in games.

But people seem to love both the titles so it looks like you can't go wrong either way.
  • Gregolution 3 Nov 2019 09:34:58 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feel like adding another solid euro to my collection. Brass Birmingham or Lancashire?
  • Tonka 3 Nov 2019 10:28:35 29,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Barrage
  • danathjo 3 Nov 2019 11:03:19 8,218 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Gregolution I've been sitting on this one for aaaaaages!
    Lost count of the amount of reviews and impressions I've watched and read.

I'm currently in the Lancashire camp as it's the true tested version, plus there's a 2 player dedicated map on one side, more harsh if you make a wrong move earlier in the game though.

Birmingham sounds more forgiving and open in variability but added complexity with an extra beer market to work out, plus a wild card mechanism to get our a jam, but does the added complexity actually made a better game? I'm not sure it has but it's certainly raced in the BGG top 10 which must count for something!

Take my words with a grain of salt though as I haven't actually played either 😂 borrowing them off a friend soon though.

Also a word if warning that the latest Birmingham reprint has had some errors that the player boards aren't fitting in the insert properly, damaging the edges and not sitting flush. Worth a quick look into.
  • Gregolution 3 Nov 2019 11:27:23 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Barrage
    You know what... you might be right
  • Gregolution 3 Nov 2019 11:37:44 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    @Gregolution I've been sitting on this one for aaaaaages!
    Lost count of the amount of reviews and impressions I've watched and read.

I'm currently in the Lancashire camp as it's the true tested version, plus there's a 2 player dedicated map on one side, more harsh if you make a wrong move earlier in the game though.

Birmingham sounds more forgiving and open in variability but added complexity with an extra beer market to work out, plus a wild card mechanism to get our a jam, but does the added complexity actually made a better game? I'm not sure it has but it's certainly raced in the BGG top 10 which must count for something!

Take my words with a grain of salt though as I haven't actually played either 😂 borrowing them off a friend soon though.

Also a word if warning that the latest Birmingham reprint has had some errors that the player boards aren't fitting in the insert properly, damaging the edges and not sitting flush. Worth a quick look into.
    Thanks mate, decent analysis.
  • SamNunn92 3 Nov 2019 14:41:28 856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ta for all the advice re LotR games, I think I'll check out a few videos and see which one seems most suitable.
  • Tonka 3 Nov 2019 21:41:31 29,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Speaking of buying new boardgames.

Undaunted Normandie looks like a brilliant game. 2p only though. Aaannnnddd there's a Kickstarer for a beginner friendly 18xx game that I've been eyeing.

Two games (well three since the 18xx one is 1861 AND 1867 in one box) that I'm almost guaranteed to never get to play. Well maybe the 18XX one but the other one is cheaper and I could have it soon.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Nov 2019 16:16:38 32,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So now the hype has well and truly died down and some of you may have a few games under your belt, what's the general consensus here on Tapestry?
  • Rhaegyr 4 Nov 2019 16:19:10 4,851 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally did it - bought Twilight Imperium 4th Edition.

Wish me luck!
  • Tonka 4 Nov 2019 18:10:59 29,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    So now the hype has well and truly died down and some of you may have a few games under your belt, what's the general consensus here on Tapestry?
    I came here to ask the same thing.

I've only played it once and the only thing I have to say is that I'm not sure what to make of it. I would have to play it a few more times to get to grips with it, and that's where the problem lies. I don't want to. I can't see myself picking Tapestry over any of the other games at my groups disposal.

Well OK, I'd rather play Tapestry than Mansion of Madness but other than that I can't think of a reason to spend an evening with it. It might not be bad, it just didn't hook me enough to give it a second chance. The competition is too stiff.

I've always enjoyed games, films and books that are 7/10, I think that's where you find your personal favourites, the wonky masterpieces that no one else gets but that you love because they manage to hit that special sweet note in your life. Like "Stakeland", "Measuring the World", or "Killer 7", and I can kind of see Tapestry being someones 7/10.

To me it just felt too meh. Superglad it wasn't me that bought it.
  • OllyJ 5 Nov 2019 10:38:52 4,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Feel like adding another solid euro to my collection. Brass Birmingham or Lancashire?
    I've played Birmingham...well we got to the end of the first "era" then ran out of time. It left me wanting to play more...but there felt like a lot of learning, first game you are going to be making a lot of mistakes.

There's almost too many instances of "well what can I do??" early on as you are learning all the exceptions and finer rules. Once you get going though, it's decent.
  • Gregolution 5 Nov 2019 10:55:28 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I've played 8 times and enjoyed every game. I've not seen the wild imbalances everyone loves to post about , it's nice and light but still requires some good thing and strategy, there's definitely more randomisation than most games of that ilk but it always feels 'fun' to us.

Really like it, as does my whole family. But I played with a more serious gaming group and one really disliked it.

I guess serious heavy euro players will dismiss it. I love heavy euros but they're not the only thing I want to play.
  • Gregolution 5 Nov 2019 11:58:07 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone played pax Pamir 2nd edition and where can I get a copy?
  • Tonka 5 Nov 2019 12:51:45 29,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've soloed it a few times and it's absolutely magnificent. Maybe not as a solo game since the bot is a cheating asshole. Can't wait to get it on the table with my group. It feels really fresh and unlike anything else I've played.

A bit of a chaos machine with the bot though, but I suspect it will be the same against humans. With the bot it feels like you're constantly one round from being out of the game.

But it's such an intricate game, full of possibilities, and the production is through the roof. THROUGH THE ROOF!

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4916845/pax-pamir-second-edition

I got my copy from a game store in Sweden, pre ordered it on a whim and then it arrived two weeks later. I see they have copies at a store called Firestorm Cards.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.