Boardgames anyone? Page 369

• alt-cmd-esc 7 Nov 2019 09:11:01 382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    What about Architects of the West Kingdom? I don't have any worker placement games... I love games that play a bit quicker these days. This fits the bill?
    I rather enjoyed my one game group play of this. Plays quickly and has interesting choices and more strategic depth than you'd expect.
  • alt-cmd-esc 7 Nov 2019 09:54:51 382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Oi, tea drinkers (i.e those of you that won't have to pay for postage), get this
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/456190758/senet-magazine
    Was tempted by this, but £9 for one issue (including UK postage) is way too much. If I lurk around bargains threads I can get a decent game for the same price. If it was available for significantly less as a pdf I'd bite - I would have gone for it at £7 incl. postage, but even that seemed a bit much.

/tightwad
  • Tonka 7 Nov 2019 11:37:10 29,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, I thought P&P was included if you lived on the island. Yeah, I wouldn't pay £9 either. If I saw it for 7 in a store though...
  • Tonka 7 Nov 2019 11:38:10 29,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd really like if there was a really good boardgame magazine. Preferably really pretentious, EDGE level pretentiousness.
  • Gregolution 7 Nov 2019 12:26:58 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Gregolution Whaaaa....?

Get Lisboa.
    ✔️ Historical
    ✔️ Euro
    ✔️ Lacerda
    Better than the Gallerist?
  • Gregolution 7 Nov 2019 12:27:58 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

Totally with you on edge level pretentious!
  • Tonka 7 Nov 2019 12:32:40 29,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    @Gregolution Whaaaa....?

Get Lisboa.
    ✔️ Historical
    ✔️ Euro
    ✔️ Lacerda
    Not to me. But it's a matter of taste, I find the theme of running a gallery more fun than rebuilding Lisboa. Both are excellent fun if you're into brain smashing euros.
  • Gregolution 7 Nov 2019 14:43:29 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    @Gregolution Whaaaa....?

Get Lisboa.
    ✔️ Historical
    ✔️ Euro
    ✔️ Lacerda
    Not to me. But it's a matter of taste, I find the theme of running a gallery more fun than rebuilding Lisboa. Both are excellent fun if you're into brain smashing euros.
    If you like brain smashing euros how come you don't own Gaia or Mystica?

I'll buy Lisboa if you buy one of them 😁
  • rice_sandwich 7 Nov 2019 15:50:36 5,837 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tonka

Tabletop Gaming magazine is ok but very out of date info wise compared to BGG. Spielbox is a bit better but again doesn't really offer anything that the web doesn't do better / faster (physical promos aside).
  • Your-Mother 7 Nov 2019 18:37:46 3,225 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FFG just announced a Fallout Shelter game. Could be interesting.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/11/7/fallout-shelter-the-board-game/
  • Tonka 7 Nov 2019 19:01:20 29,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution I really should play Teresa Mystica. But before that I really should play Terraforming Mars. But I have On Mars coming in... some time early next year by the looks of it

And I'm saving my money for Oath and maybe John Company.
  • Tonka 7 Nov 2019 20:12:24 29,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Tabletop Gaming magazine is ok but very out of date info wise compared to BGG. Spielbox is a bit better but again doesn't really offer anything that the web doesn't do better / faster (physical promos aside).
    That's what I suspected and why I would like a magazine that did really long deep articles. Interviews, think pieces, mega long reviews, and developer profiles.
  • alt-cmd-esc 8 Nov 2019 08:15:54 382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, we played Tapestry rather than Barrage last night, and Iím glad I have tried it. My flippant one word review at the end of the game = ďcrapestryĒ (lolamirite?). Not very impressed, but I said Iíd give it another go next week with 4 rather than 3 players... hated the silly plasticine buildings and anachronistic techs

/grump
  • Tonka 8 Nov 2019 09:19:13 29,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't think the player count will impact the gameplay in any meaningful way. Having read/seen some reviews it seems like the civilisation you pick at the beginning and how that gels with the Tapestry cards is what makes the biggest difference on whether people have a great time or not.
  • OllyJ 8 Nov 2019 10:13:58 4,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We played Paranormal Detectives last night at our board game social night, I think it's pretty new. It's basically Mysterium x 20 questions.

One of the most fun nights we've had, as a "party game" I think it's brilliant, it was quite a complex scenario to decipher and you have to communicate with the "ghost" using various methods of non verbal communication, including a ouija board, ghost drawing, and tarot cards, you really have to think about the questions you ask and the method of communication used.

It's supposed to be competitive but we ended up changing it to working together and it was so much more fun.
  • alt-cmd-esc 8 Nov 2019 10:33:22 382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tonka it all seemed a bit undercooked to me, and it felt like I was play-testing a prototype, rather than a finished product. Not convinced the tracks are balanced, and the dice rolls and card draws made it quite random. Coupled with a theme that seems way more pasted on than even Dr Kniziaís pastiest products, and wholly unnecessary components, I am surprised by how much hype it received. Wasnít helped by one player getting 5 Trap cards over the course of the game, resulting in them having a dull range of choices but guaranteed 10vps each era, and the combo of markets and technologies appearing to be OP. Iím very happy to give it another go, though, just to try a few different things and give it a fair chance.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Nov 2019 10:38:03 21,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised by the hype. Stonemeier do have a very good reputation. Deservedly so.
  • alt-cmd-esc 8 Nov 2019 10:43:00 382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iíve found all of their games (that I have played) quite disappointing tbh, but I can see why people like them, and they generally have great components and design. This is their weakest effort, I think, although I havenít played Euphoria or Wingspan yet. The game I most liked of theirs was Between Two Cities, which I liked quite a lot.

Edited by alt-cmd-esc at 10:44:47 08-11-2019
  • Mola_Ram 8 Nov 2019 10:48:11 21,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Viticulture is probably my favourite worker placement game, and of course I love Scythe. So yeah I'm a supporter, though I haven't given Tapestry a go yet.
  • Gregolution 8 Nov 2019 12:45:03 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

Terra Mystica is a out 500 times as good as terra forming mars

I think I'm going to find a retail copy of On Mars. I should have backed it.

Edited by Gregolution at 12:49:35 08-11-2019
  • Gregolution 8 Nov 2019 12:47:45 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @alt-cmd-esc

I just don't get it. I've loved every game of Tapestry I've played. Such vastly different experiences.

It's always fun, it's a very interesting interactive game, with more random elements than most games of its ilk.

Just deciding how to combo tracks and synchronise them *is* the game and it's an enjoyable little puzzle.

Don't understand the hate!
  • Gregolution 8 Nov 2019 20:58:49 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought Architects of the West Kingdom.

In danger of going over my self imposed limit now....
  • BearFishPie 8 Nov 2019 23:44:25 731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gregolution Thereís going to be a Kickstarter next year for a co-op expansion to On Mars themed to the Surviving Mars videogame. Iíd imagine the KS version of On Mars will be an option too.
  • Bleh 9 Nov 2019 10:22:12 367 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played my first real time game, Kitchen Rush. Was a bit worried about the real time part but it played really well. Rules aren't that complicated and the game board shows what you can do in case you might forget something during the hectic phase. For the rest it's all about picking up orders, cooking food, ordering new ingredients, everything in running a restaurant. Including paying wages. Damm the wages killed it for us. We achieved everything but in the end we hadn't enough money left to win.
  • Gregolution 9 Nov 2019 13:22:41 9,595 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BearFishPie

But that's next year :(

Surely there will be retailers with copies of the game?
  • BearFishPie 9 Nov 2019 20:14:18 731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gregolution Iíd be surprised if not!
  • Tonka 10 Nov 2019 07:21:39 29,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On Mars is apparently massively delayed. Some people are shitting their pants in fury.
  • CrispyLog 10 Nov 2019 22:00:36 131 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Viticulture is probably my favourite worker placement game, and of course I love Scythe. So yeah I'm a supporter, though I haven't given Tapestry a go yet.
    Need the add on or just essential edition? How is it for 2 player? It's one of those games I'd get if money and time was no issue and I've always been after, but never sure if it's 'special' enough to snap up.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.