Boardgames anyone? Page 371

• McGeeza 18 Nov 2019 12:18:56 1,981 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dougs Decrypto and Werewords Deluxe?

Just One is co-op instead of team play, but a lot of fun.
  • Dougs 18 Nov 2019 14:29:17 91,280 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thanks chaps, will check them out
  • Gregolution 18 Nov 2019 14:55:34 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    on Mars looks fun! But Terraforming Mars is so very, very far from a turd.
    Really ? I think it's the most random game I've played. I've played it quite a lot and it's the only game even my 7 year old can win as it's really just down to the very poorly balanced cards you draw (yes even with drafting).

It's slow, has been bloated by expansions and rounds arent interesting constantly repeating blue card actions. Then there are the gotcha cards our of no where with no counters.

It always amazes me that people rate it so highly. I just don't get it.

And I haven't even mentioned the terrible components yet
  • Gregolution 18 Nov 2019 14:56:40 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the only explanation is the theme and ties to science that interest people. As a game it's terrible.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Nov 2019 15:17:32 32,502 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TM is far from a terrible game. I still really enjoy it long after the cult of the new hype vanished. The randomness isn't that bad and there are plenty of ways to mitigate it through the game. The challenge and un then comes from building an effective engine from what you have.

Components are a bit shit for sure and it is quite long, but the prelude expansion really helped with that.
  • BearFishPie 18 Nov 2019 15:45:58 740 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dougs My 9yo daughter enjoyed Just One a lot - there were quite a few words shed have struggled to guess but it was a piece of cake to just collectively agree to change the target word to something shed have a chance of guessing.
  • Your-Mother 18 Nov 2019 15:52:40 3,283 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TM is a good game (I really enjoy it solo, feels almost like a city builder that way) but the core reason for its popularity is that its one of the better gateway games. I read somewhere that the components are very specifically modeled after Pandemic (cubes on a flat board) to make it a recognizable experience.
  • drhickman1983 18 Nov 2019 16:02:41 6,178 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decrypto and Just One are amazing, had plenty of plays with both over the last year.
  • Gregolution 18 Nov 2019 22:17:44 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    God what a different night tonight was. After weeks of dry euros, I lubed up with 2 games of X wing. Got absolutely destroyed, but it was a lot of fun to chuck some dice and see some theme.
  • Gregolution 20 Nov 2019 07:51:01 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And last place in the second round of Terra Mystica LoB tournament :). Hard to come anywhere near people that have played hundreds of times!
  • brokenkey 20 Nov 2019 14:33:36 10,321 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I'm looking for a new game for Christmas - but needs to be quite light, easy for non-gamers to pick up (potentially including 9-10 year olds) and good to play in teams of 2 or three. Previous favourites - Cards Against Humanity (not for the kids, obviously), Codenames, Bananagrams and the old traditional favourites. Any recommendations? It's a minefield out there!
    Not team based, but 6 Nimmt! is easy to learn and good fun for up to 10 players (plays best with 5)

Edited by brokenkey at 14:35:16 20-11-2019
  • oldskooldeano 20 Nov 2019 15:06:09 2,980 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dougs hey Dougs I came across a fun looking team based game suitable for kids whilst shopping for my daughter.
    It's called Crazy Karts and although I haven't played it BGG seems to think it's alright and you can buy a copy of it for a tenner if you look about.
  • Tonka 22 Nov 2019 07:04:27 29,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone wanting a copy of 7th Continent is in luck. Buy it straight from the horses mouth for 59 Euros (shipping included)

I should have sold my copy when the going was good. I'm kind of tempted to get an empty box for my replacement cards tbh.

https://shop.seriouspoulp.com/eu/en/

Edited by Tonka at 07:04:35 22-11-2019
  • drhickman1983 22 Nov 2019 07:32:25 6,178 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Mind is a great, very simple co-op game. Some boardgame geek posters are very sniffy about it, but we'll, they are boardgame geek posters.

The guys new game Wavelength is out soon, which sounds very interesting, and seems like it will occupy a similar space to Decrypto etc.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2019 07:52:24 21,876 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Mind is such a weird game. It's a very unique experience (not in a bad way).
  • Tonka 23 Nov 2019 00:04:23 29,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just finished my first game of Three Kingdoms Redux and OMG. That was great.
  • RedPanda87 23 Nov 2019 09:05:50 1,970 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Anyone wanting a copy of 7th Continent is in luck. Buy it straight from the horses mouth for 59 Euros (shipping included)

I should have sold my copy when the going was good. I'm kind of tempted to get an empty box for my replacement cards tbh.

https://shop.seriouspoulp.com/eu/en/
    Cheers for that. Just picked it up along with most of the available expansions and the expansion box. Bit of a gamble as I don't think I've ever spent that much on things for a single game, barring perhaps X-Wing Miniatures.
  • Gregolution 24 Nov 2019 12:57:29 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RedPanda87

God I spent sooo much money on 7th continent. I think all in was just under 300 :(
  • Tonka 24 Nov 2019 18:59:47 29,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution tar was with the above and below stuff though, wasn't it?
  • Gregolution 24 Nov 2019 19:42:42 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

above and below?

That was all of 7th continent, all expansions, all stupid optional extra rubbish. everything.

Played a lot of games lately. Having a great time. X wing, Architects, Tainted Grail, Terra Mystica, City of the Big Shoulders.

Received Barrage as well but not punched it yet, playing it on Wednesday.

Brass Birmingham in shrink, going to give that to myself for xmas.

Just need to get rid of my in laws!
  • Tonka 25 Nov 2019 07:19:15 29,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution
    You're living the dream. City of the Big Shoulders sounds like a great game. What's your thoughts on it?

As for 7th Continent it was the white box I was talking about. what goes up must come down (mixed it up with above and below thatis a Laukat game) I don't think that's available from their store yet. The white box that is. For 7th Continent.
  • Your-Mother 25 Nov 2019 07:33:40 3,283 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WGUMCD is available on the store, at least it was for me. Its not 100% compatible with the classic version though, only the Kickstarter version. One of the added curses is missing a card in the classic version (though you can proxy it in if you really want).
  • Gregolution 25 Nov 2019 08:38:37 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

Oh I see yeah that's including what goes up must come down AND absolutely everything else (which I definitely didn't need)

Big shoulders was very interesting. It's not like anything I've played before. Big potential but would require alot of plays. The paper money it comes with is a nightmare tho. Definitely need poker chips to play properly

Still haven't played anything that competes with Mystica / Gaia for the ultimate competitive game though. I just find them perfect, especially in how tight they play with resources. You need to know how many power each player has in bowls 2 + 3 and how much money they have before taking your turn. With big shoulders you're hardly going to count out 1235 dollars in company 1 + 866 in 2 etc for each player before deciding what to do. So to me, that game isn't nearly as tight.

Still very cool and I'd love to play it 5 or 6 more times to make a proper conclusion
  • Gregolution 25 Nov 2019 08:46:14 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My gaming table has finally shipped!!!

Raaaaaa.

Only 6 months late
  • alt-cmd-esc 25 Nov 2019 10:17:47 387 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Played Barrage over the weekend - was fun, but I still stand by my assessment that the components are a little overindulgent. I thought good old wooden cubes would work better than the slightly bizarre wooden pieces used for the mixers and excavators, and the 3D board didn't really add a great deal. Nice mechanics, though, and some scope for varied strategies. There was a fairly large gap between 1st place and last, but unsurprising given it was the first play for half of the group. Would happily play again.
  • Tonka 26 Nov 2019 12:12:47 29,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So, Three Kingdoms Redux, has everything I want from a boardgame.

Each turn I got to pick between several meaningful options. Every decision had consequences that lived on for several rounds. There were plenty of opportunities to chain actions in crafty ways. The deterministic nature of biddings and "battles" (they're just bids to be honest) might be divisive. Think Scythe but with open cards but the option to move in more mechs on your next turn. There was multiple paths to victory, sky high asymmetry, a nifty alliance function and really solidly well implemented and deep connections to the setting.

Plus I like Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

It's a long game though. And crunchy AF.
  • RedPanda87 27 Nov 2019 12:01:29 1,970 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Having not bought any boardgames for around a year (barring a Monikers expansion and backing the Wavelength Kickstarter, which I'm expecting to receive soon), I've massively topped up my collection in the last month or so.

I've bought:
    7th Continent (plus 2 expansions and other bits)
    Flick 'em Up
    Startups
    Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
    Mysterium (plus 2 expansions)
    7 Wonders: Duel (plus an expansion)
    Near and Far
    Catacombs Cubes

Plus I'm expecting Wingspan, Codenames Duet, San Juan and Welcome to... for Christmas.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2019 12:05:41 27,607 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm looking for something like Pictionary or Articulate, fun non-geeky games for family at Xmas etc.

Any suggestions?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.