Boardgames anyone? Page 372

• RedPanda87 27 Nov 2019 12:15:28 1,970 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'm looking for something like Pictionary or Articulate, fun non-geeky games for family at Xmas etc.

Any suggestions?
    If you don't already have them, Monikers and Codenames always go down well with anyone I play them with and are easy, accessible things to teach and play.
  • Tonka 27 Nov 2019 12:37:23 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just One
  • Gregolution 27 Nov 2019 12:39:07 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Codenames is a popular and cheap option you can get easily. I've played it and it's quite a good laugh, definitely non geeky.
  • Gregolution 27 Nov 2019 12:40:52 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok so I lost my x wing games yesterday... badly. Horrifically.

But seeing good players fly has inspired me to play more so I entered a tournament this Saturday. Lets see if I can win a single game!

It's nice being able to play a game that doesn't tax my brain so heavily that I can't sleep afterwards. It's definitely not easy, flying is hard and a skill to learn but your brain doesn't explode like it does planning 5 turns ahead in a euro.
  • alt-cmd-esc 27 Nov 2019 13:04:04 387 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good luck in the tourney at the weekend. I have largely stopped playing as I refused to pay for the move to version 2, but I do enjoy X-Wing. Never came higher than 4th in the FLGS tournaments I played in, but they were always enjoyable.
  • Gregolution 27 Nov 2019 13:11:13 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @alt-cmd-esc

thanks mate. that's too bad about stopping. The guys I played against seemed to be really serious players for years, going to worlds and placing high / winning system opens. They all agreed that 2nd edition was much better.

it's such an expensive game though, I can understand opting out. If you have loads of factions I guess you need a few conversion kits.

Seems to have done wonders for the game overall though, money aside.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2019 13:20:12 27,607 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers guys, Just One and Monikers might do the job.
    We'll be spending Xmas in Australia at my sister in law's sister's place, thought it would be good to give them a wee prezzie of a game that everyone could have a laugh playing.
  • BearFishPie 27 Nov 2019 16:45:42 740 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Much like Monikers and Just One, Telestrations is a also great party game. It essentially comes down to alternately rapidly drawing something and guessing the content of someone elseís drawing. The worse the artistic skills involved, the funnier it gets.
  • Your-Mother 27 Nov 2019 19:53:54 3,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I go into my local store for sleeves and emerge out with Wingspan Expansion, season 1 + 2 + extras of Cthulhu Death May Die, Dark Souls the Card Game, and the last couple of LotR LCG packs I needed. Iím way too impulse buy-ee.

I have a dedicated room for games and Iím already running out of space.
  • BearFishPie 27 Nov 2019 20:23:06 740 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Your-Mother I had literally no interest in Cthulhu: Death May Die until Matthew Jude (who mostly sticks to euro games) gave it a glowing review. It sounds like a whole mess of (somewhat expensive) fun!
  • Your-Mother 29 Nov 2019 15:17:08 3,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    @Your-Mother I had literally no interest in Cthulhu: Death May Die until Matthew Jude (who mostly sticks to euro games) gave it a glowing review. It sounds like a whole mess of (somewhat expensive) fun!
    Gave it a first play yesterday after thanksgiving Turkey, and itís awesome. Really impressed by how the balance between insanity and leveling up your character feels, and the characters are all genuinely very different to play (we played with Rasputin, who can come back from the dead, and Lizzie Borden, who gets extra hits with her axe). Very easy to learn, and game design seems tight - we won the game on literally the last dice roll vs Cthulhu.

Incredibly it also makes the arguably overdone Lovecraft theme feel fresh. After how terrible Arkham Final Hour was, I very nearly passed on DMD over the theme, but really glad I didnít.
  • BearFishPie 29 Nov 2019 15:27:02 740 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Your-Mother It sounds really good fun - when the Kickstarter turned up I completely dismissed it as Yet Another Dice Chucker With Excessive Minis
  • BearFishPie 29 Nov 2019 15:30:15 740 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decent Black Friday sales at Chaos Cards and Magic Madhouse. CC have (or had) Gloomhaven for £72, Teotihuacan for £25 and the new Keyforge starter set for £16. MM have Tapestry for a highly reasonable £59, older KeyForge decks for £5 a pop and the interesting sounding Comanauts for £20
  • Tonka 29 Nov 2019 17:40:35 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just placed an order for the capstone version of Bus. Looks gorgeous and fun.
  • Gregolution 29 Nov 2019 18:02:43 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    God I absolutely love Barrage. My GOTY. first game since mystica that gives me that same tension and stress. It's absolutely fantastic.

So interactive, brutal!
  • Tonka 29 Nov 2019 22:48:10 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Final game of Scythe done and dusted. Great one too. Everyone was bringing their a game.

Followed up with Irish Gauge. First time I played it and I can't wait to try it again. Fantastic.
  • Gregolution 30 Nov 2019 21:01:32 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lost 3 out of 3 in X wing but I made it home in time to build my gaming table and it is BEAUTIFUL :)
  • Tonka 1 Dec 2019 07:33:16 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm so pleased that I've managed two game night Fridays in a row. With two new games on the table no less. Plus a great final chapter in the Fenris campaign.

What an awesome hobby.

I can strongly recommend Irish Gauge to anyone looking for a really smooth thinky almost filler game. We managed or first game in under 60 minutes and that included me teaching and setting it up. Three players.

Next time will probably be a bit longer, due to is having a better grasp of all the possibilities.

A new Challenger appears https://imgur.com/a/bATlIMj

Such a rich game with so simple rule set. Great flow. Highly interactive. Definitely rewarded clever thinking.

Edited by Tonka at 07:45:02 01-12-2019
  • Tonka 1 Dec 2019 07:33:35 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution pictures please!
  • BearFishPie 1 Dec 2019 09:16:31 740 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tonka A friend got a copy of Irish Gauge, so hopefully I can get in on a 4 player game of it soonish. Iíve been seeing only positive reception to it, so am really keen to have a crack.
  • Tonka 1 Dec 2019 10:52:41 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @BearFishPie looking forward to your thoughts on it. Seems like a great introduction to train games in general. All the mechanisms are there (I think), just stripped down to the bone.

I made such a dick move that torpedoed my friends company and provably caused him to lose the game. All by placing one cube.
  • FWB 1 Dec 2019 11:49:34 56,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Been playing Tainted Grail - part of the way through chapter two in a coop game - and really, really liking it. I've never played pen n' paperor boardgame RPGs before so cannot compare to those, but TG is basically a video game RPG in tabletop form:

- Multiple story options with choices not always leading to exactly what you expect (though still logical). We've finally realised we need to start writing stuff down as there is SO much content. You don't have to play the good guy.
    - Nicely differentiated characters with an easy to follow but engaging leveling system.
    - Dynamic world where whole locations can change according to what you do.
    - Mild elements of luck, which never make you feel like they're ruining things.

Combat and diplomacy can lead to some major downtime, but I like the system. It's different and requires thinking but very thematic.

So glad I backed this and will get the free extras. I think this now is one of my favourite coop games; surpassing Arkham Horror TGC.

Edited by FWB at 12:48:19 01-12-2019
  • Tonka 2 Dec 2019 07:50:57 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Glad to hear you're enjoying Tainted Grail, I came very close to backing it. I really liked the look of the combat. In the end I thought that 7th Continent was enough chose your own adventure for me.

Then I backed Sleeping Gods a few months later.
  • Hog-lumps 2 Dec 2019 08:49:20 1,088 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'm looking for something like Pictionary or Articulate, fun non-geeky games for family at Xmas etc.

Any suggestions?
    This is a good list;

https://youtu.be/wzhUXlGIDFY

+1 to the recommendation for codenames as well - that has gone down well with various non-boardgamers and family members!

Edited by Hog-lumps at 08:51:39 02-12-2019
  • FWB 2 Dec 2019 09:18:19 56,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Glad to hear you're enjoying Tainted Grail, I came very close to backing it. I really liked the look of the combat. In the end I thought that 7th Continent was enough chose your own adventure for me.

Then I backed Sleeping Gods a few months later.
    7th Continent was on my list, though was always hard to get. Seen that it's available now, but TG is more than enough for me in that genre now.

I really like the reward system too. Undertaking difficult tasks doesn't always get you great loot but might just build the backstory which means you don't always know what to expect with your actions. The twists and turns remind we alot of the Witcher video games in that respect.
  • Tonka 2 Dec 2019 11:02:04 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm sorry but I just have to wax lyrically about Irish Gauge once more. I've been thinking about that one game we had the entire weekend. It's such a minimalistic design and yet packs such a punch.

Everything is just what it needs to be a nothing more (except the little locomotives that could have been cubes. But I'm OK with that). The actions are super quick OR involves everyone at the table, sometimes both at the same time. Quick and engaging for everyone. Rounds whip past at high speed.

One of the guys I play with is also a colleague and he came in this morning and said he had been thinking about the game the entire weekend as well. He was so pleased with starting an auction that I won, whereby I depleted my cash so that I couldn't bid in the next auction he called.

One double sided page of rules, where 50% is the setup (due to an image).

See for yourselves here

What a game. Really curious to see what the next game in the Iron Rails series is going to be. I'm hoping for a game called Wabash Cannonball (Or Chicago Express) since that has a lot of positive buzz around it. I could get the reprint but the box is an insult to space management and the graphics are dated. A Capstone version would be lovely.

Edited by Tonka at 11:02:22 02-12-2019
  • Rhaegyr 2 Dec 2019 11:07:12 4,874 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On the flipside, I played Twilight Imperium IV for the first time with five other new players - took 12 hours but absolutely loved it. Highlights include;

- Four people hitting 10 points on the last round
    - Me being one of those four and winning on initiative
    - Two brothers playing nearly coming to real-life blows
    - One person threatening to never play a boardgame again if I moved a ship into his space
    - The agenda phase is absolutely fantastic - so many good moments here
    - Most importantly, it only started to drag after around 10 hours

Yeah, thought at least someone would hate this or it'd be too convoluted for its own good but everyone wanted to play again in a month or so to try out the different races/planet setupts.
  • Tonka 2 Dec 2019 11:50:28 29,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    - One person threatening to never play a boardgame again if I moved a ship into his space
    Did you do it?
  • Rhaegyr 2 Dec 2019 12:05:59 4,874 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tonka

Of course :)

He returned the favour a round or so later and we both laughed like mad!
  • Gregolution 2 Dec 2019 12:28:36 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @Tonka

Of course :)

He returned the favour a round or so later and we both laughed like mad!
    Brilliant. Board gaming > video gaming.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.