Boardgames anyone? Page 373

• Tonka 2 Dec 2019 14:25:43 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm so glad I took up this hobby.
  • FWB 2 Dec 2019 17:58:01 56,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I really don't play video games anymore, and granted in summer my board game time drops a fair bit, but I do love this genre resurgence. It's also so much easier to drink while playing.
  • X201 2 Dec 2019 18:07:31 19,668 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone got any tips for simple easy to play games for Christmas parties?

e.g. Have been playing Timeline by Asmodee the last few Christmases, the rules are dead simple, itís quick to pick up, suitable for all ages and fun.

So Iím looking for something similar just to freshen things up, any ideas?
  • Tonka 2 Dec 2019 19:17:44 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just One

Or, get Irish Gauge instead. It's gorgeous, dead simple, and absolutely bonkers

Edited by Tonka at 19:24:18 02-12-2019
  • Your-Mother 2 Dec 2019 19:39:03 3,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just One for a party game, definitely. If youíre thinking a more sit down and play kind of game, Parks and Wingspan are lightweight easy newer games that should scale well with a group.

Or you could get the sadistic version of Monopoly theyíve released - https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/11/25/20982612/monopoly-longest-game-ever-edition-hasbro-trolling - I think even Hasbro now admit that Monopoly is the worst game ever made.
  • Your-Mother 2 Dec 2019 19:40:22 3,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    On an unrelated note - Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - how have I not discovered this before? Itís brilliant. Tabletop RPG without the hassle of finding a good DM.
  • Gregolution 2 Dec 2019 20:03:40 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I really don't play video games anymore, and granted in summer my board game time drops a fair bit, but I do love this genre resurgence. It's also so much easier to drink while playing.
    brother from another mother
  • speed182 2 Dec 2019 21:45:46 1,049 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @X201 Decrypto is a good one!
  • GuiltySpark 2 Dec 2019 23:50:32 6,779 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Divinity Board Game has me salivating slightly.
  • Your-Mother 3 Dec 2019 00:10:42 3,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Iím hesitant to bite on that, even as a fan of the original game(s). Lynnvander have a troubled history with Kickstarter (heavy delays and unfulfilled content), and this seems to be yet another case of ďlook at all the content and minisĒ and trying to pitch on somewhat gimmicky FOMO things like the Chronicle System and KS exclusive content and stretch goals instead of concentrating on the solid core gameplay. Iíve not been impressed with the playthroughs shown so far and thereís no pdf rulebook to gauge the depth yet.
  • Tonka 3 Dec 2019 07:37:15 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Speaking of All Out Kickstarters, The Great Wall is doing pretty well. I like that they have a "Wooden meeples" tier as well as the "Detailed plastic minis".

I'm really trying to not get sucked into Kickstarter hype anymore, I won't fall for this one but I know there will be more down the line.
  • BearFishPie 3 Dec 2019 07:59:10 740 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The deluxe version of Suburbia turned up yesterday. Holy hell itís a heavy box - just under 7kg pre-punching.
  • rice_sandwich 3 Dec 2019 08:08:52 5,935 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm really trying not to buy more board games. As far as I can see my collection covers most of the main mechanics and themes that interest me. New games often appear to be slightly better versions of games I already have, perhaps with a minor spin on things. It's been quite a long time since I've seen a game that's an absolute must have.
  • FWB 3 Dec 2019 08:16:19 56,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Speaking of All Out Kickstarters, The Great Wall is doing pretty well. I like that they have a "Wooden meeples" tier as well as the "Detailed plastic minis".

I'm really trying to not get sucked into Kickstarter hype anymore, I won't fall for this one but I know there will be more down the line.
    Awaken Realms have got some faith from me now - and Nemesis looked good - but not really grabbed by Great Wall. Interested to see what ISS-Vanguard will be.
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2019 09:35:15 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich what's your preferred cube rails game?
  • rice_sandwich 4 Dec 2019 10:52:45 5,935 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tonka

The Snowdonia big box only because rail games normally require 3+ players and I hardly ever have that.
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2019 11:32:41 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gods fuck!

Right.. so, Irish Gauge was a success and I'm still thinking about it. As per usual I started reading up on cube rail games and found that Chicago Express is considered by many to be the pinnacle of the genre. Apparently it's hard to get but I have found it and its expansion.

But. Imagine if CE is the next entry in Capstones Iron Rails series? Then I have a big unsightly version of something that undoubtedly be handsome as fuck in the Capstone edition.

Plus... do I really need it? I have Bus en route (although no tracking for it so what en route means... shrug emoji) so I've got another rout building with kind of stock manipulation mechanics game.

My plan is to wait until the next iron rails entry is announced and if it isn't Chicago Express I pounce on the Queensgames version. But what if it's sold out by that time?

Sweet torture.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Dec 2019 11:39:19 5,935 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tonka

Wait until you've played Irish Gauge 30+ times before getting a new rail game. No need for cult of the new when your shelves are likely bulging.
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2019 11:59:30 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Well, in my defence, none of the Iron Rails games are new. And watching reviews of Chicago Express makes it look like sooooo much fun. A nice extra layer of mechanics compared to Irish Gauge

It's my cave man brain reacting to a perceived scarcity when it comes to Chicago Express. Seen a lot of posts along the line "If you can get hold of a copy".
  • rice_sandwich 4 Dec 2019 12:10:32 5,935 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tonka

There are lots of rail games, 18XX, Railways of the World (Europe, USA etc). I doubt you'll be stuck for choice if you get into them.
  • Gregolution 4 Dec 2019 12:16:58 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love my gaming table. I keep rubbing up against it
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2019 14:17:34 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich true. The 18XX games seem a bit long even for my taste though.
  • Your-Mother 4 Dec 2019 23:40:28 3,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gloomhaven sequel announced - not the cut down expandalone announced a month or so ago, but a proper full sequel. Which will be nice for the three or so people who actually managed to complete the original.

Called Frosthaven, hits Kickstarter in March.

Frosthaven is coming!

I know, I know, we just announced Jaws of the Lion, and now there's this, too! So much new Gloomhaven! Or, err, I mean Frosthaven.

While Jaws of the Lion is geared towards bringing in new players to the Gloomhaven world, Frosthaven is my chance to tell another epic story on the scale of the original game, with the same complexity and grandeur. This is Gloomhaven 2.0, with 16 new characters, over 25 new enemies, over 100 new items, somewhere around 100 new scenarios, and so much more.

So why Frosthaven? Well, that is the name of a small outpost far to the north of the capital city of White Oak. There, a group of mercenaries at the end of their rope will help bring back this settlement from the edge of destruction. Not only will they have to deal with the harsh elements, but there are other, far more dangerous threats out in the unforgiving cold as well.

There are Algox, the bigger, more yeti-like cousins of the Inox, attacking from the mountains, Lurkers flooding in from the northern sea, and there are even rumors of machines that wander the frozen wastes of their own free will. The party of mercenaries must face all of these perils, and perhaps in doing so, make peace with these new races so they can work together against even more sinister forces.

I could probably rant for a good while about everything that is going to be in this game, but I don't want to throw out any potential spoilers, and also I am going to be doing a lot of ranting already on Saturday at PAX Unplugged. On Saturday at 10am in the Mothman Theatre, I'll be doing a live Q&A with Tom Vasel about all things Frosthaven. I'll answer his questions, and questions from the audience, and it will be a grand old time."
  • Tonka 5 Dec 2019 07:01:52 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Who mentioned a

Solo wargame

Using a standard deck of cards, by some somewhat famous designer?

Can't reneger the name and googling solo card games just gives me links to Klondike.
  • FWB 5 Dec 2019 07:30:42 56,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • BearFishPie 5 Dec 2019 09:09:55 740 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I mentioned Tom Francis had designed a very neat little solo game using a standard poker deck a bit ago (itís called Gridcannon), though itís not a war game in any way. Kind of an abstract spatial puzzle, with a very modern feel to it given itís using a standard deck.

Itís well worth having a try - I think heís refined the design a bit since I tried it too.

Edited by BearFishPie at 09:10:21 05-12-2019
  • Tonka 5 Dec 2019 10:56:15 29,983 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @BearFishPie yes, that's the one.

Thank you. I think the name having the word cannon in it made me call it a war game.
  • BearFishPie 5 Dec 2019 11:56:59 740 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tonka Yes, I can see that! To be fair it could also have been called Ďkill the regencyí given how the design works.
  • Gregolution 6 Dec 2019 09:39:05 9,612 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    God a gaming table changes everything. I've left tainted grail out all week and not suffered the wrath of my wife or had anything knocked over by cat. It's glorious! Being able to do a quick 30 minute blast whenever is so nice.

Very happy nerd right here.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Dec 2019 09:56:48 5,935 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gregolution

Are we talking about a regular table or a customised one with felt, cup holders etc?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.