Following Boardgames anyone? Page 379

• Tonka 3 Jan 2020 16:02:13 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've been home alone all day, painting a second hand Billy shelf white and absolutely gorging on boardgame podcasts.

Loving this hobby
  • Gregolution 3 Jan 2020 16:04:15 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I've been home alone all day, painting a second hand Billy shelf white and absolutely gorging on boardgame podcasts.

Loving this hobby
    lmao

I found a new favourite on that topic. Gamebrain
  • MikeP 3 Jan 2020 16:33:16 2,965 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @tonka I think "teach it in 10 minutes" is exactly the category me and my friends are most likely to get into, so interested to hear what you'd recommend.

We have a small but expanding collection at the mo - it includes Sushi Go!, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Space Team, Carcassonne, and probably the most complex is Lords of Waterdeep. Oh and Arboretum, bu I haven't opened that yet.
  • Tonka 3 Jan 2020 16:49:55 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Gregolution gamebrain was in the mix. My favorite is So very wrong about games.
  • Tonka 3 Jan 2020 16:51:26 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @MikeP definitely Irish Gauge then. Maybe try Concordia. It never clicked with me but lots of people love it.

Or Chinatown if you are a social bunch.
  • Gregolution 3 Jan 2020 16:54:38 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka you have a thing for Canadians
  • Gregolution 3 Jan 2020 16:55:48 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MikeP

I really love Res Arcana. Might fit into that category. It's not hard to learn - there are a few icons to figure out but it's not complex. Nice and deep strategically
  • Tonka 3 Jan 2020 17:09:58 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @Tonka you have a thing for Canadians
    It's funny because it's true. I googled famous Canadians and it turned out that most of my favorite Americans were actually Canadians.

Can't wait for a cube rails set in Canada
  • Your-Mother 3 Jan 2020 20:06:04 4,286 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Another CMON mini-heavy Kickstarter! Another Marvel game! Chuck in a zombie and Cthulhu expansion and they’ll hit the limit of what the board game world needs less of.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CMONGames/status/1213173335720374272?s=20
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 08:58:50 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka

You might want to look at Marvel instead of Shadowrun. I used to love those games as relatively quick card games that turn into sort of puzzles to solve. This has a similar vibe but a much better game. Loads in the core box - definitely rate it.

I've played 17 games of it now in the first 10 days of owning. Still haven't tried Ultron villain or swapped any modules around.

Fantastic game IMO.
  • Tonka 9 Jan 2020 09:33:18 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sadly I'm not a big fan of Marvel. I keep hearing good things about the game though, and I do like deckbuilding. Is it correct that the Marvel one have you construct the deck in advance, as opposed to the Crossfire games
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 09:59:44 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka

I'm not a big fan of marvel either.

Yeah it's not a deck builder, you construct decks in advance. However, it's quite simple to do as the rules for how to do it or simple and the card pool is small. You just take your 15 cards for that hero and then add 25 cards of 1 of the 4 aspects to it.

I guess it will get more complex as the aspects grow but it will always remain simpler than games like Arkham or Netrunner to build decks in.
  • Nemesis 9 Jan 2020 10:51:59 19,711 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's much more modular; if you don't like deck construction pick a character pack and off you go. It has a much smaller footprint to, say, LOTR or AH so if you're taking something to work it's easily something to chuck in a deck box. It's a quicker game too, so if you have a spare 30 mins it's there for that. You can adjust difficulty with the villain strength.

There's a lot to like from a mechanical sense...it's very much all the things the team have learned from previous LCG models.

For example....out of the box you have 3 pre-con decks. One villain, two heroes. The other cards you can leave be. Which I did for 3-4 games.

You only need one core set.

However....

...the drop in, drop out nature of the game means that it's not deep in a story sense. This is coming. For now, it's emergent gameplay, it may always be that with some stuff bolted on. I like that i'm no longer tied to buying whole cycles to get the cards I need (lotr). I just pick up Cap or Thor and it's a pre-set deck. If I want to deck construct, it's there for me to explore.

It's a bloody damn sight easier to setup than Legendary Marvel and I do quite like Legendary when it's all said and done.

The MC insert doesn't work with FFG sleeves. Annoyingly.

I really like it.
  • Tonka 9 Jan 2020 11:36:40 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've been keen on a deck contruction game. I like finding combos in Shadowrun Crossfire, but everything is dependent on what cards come up in the market. I sometimes start sketching a pre-construction variant of it in my head.

Maybe that should be my 2020 project.
  • kentmonkey 9 Jan 2020 11:50:31 23,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    It's much more modular; if you don't like deck construction pick a character pack and off you go. It has a much smaller footprint to, say, LOTR or AH so if you're taking something to work it's easily something to chuck in a deck box. It's a quicker game too, so if you have a spare 30 mins it's there for that. You can adjust difficulty with the villain strength.

There's a lot to like from a mechanical sense...it's very much all the things the team have learned from previous LCG models.

For example....out of the box you have 3 pre-con decks. One villain, two heroes. The other cards you can leave be. Which I did for 3-4 games.

You only need one core set.

However....

...the drop in, drop out nature of the game means that it's not deep in a story sense. This is coming. For now, it's emergent gameplay, it may always be that with some stuff bolted on. I like that i'm no longer tied to buying whole cycles to get the cards I need (lotr). I just pick up Cap or Thor and it's a pre-set deck. If I want to deck construct, it's there for me to explore.

It's a bloody damn sight easier to setup than Legendary Marvel and I do quite like Legendary when it's all said and done.

The MC insert doesn't work with FFG sleeves. Annoyingly.

I really like it.
    I'm becoming sold on this. Any good vids I could watch before I splash the best part of £50 on something I know very little about, other than this very positive overview? 😊

Edited by kentmonkey at 11:50:49 09-01-2020
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 12:03:57 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey

You don't need videos. It's fantastic. Trust us.

It was 44 at Chaos cards during the sales - but I think price has gone back up now. It's worth 50 tho, the core set is real value for once.
  • Nemesis 9 Jan 2020 12:19:42 19,711 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    https://youtu.be/qzpb6X1RGCg
  • Nemesis 9 Jan 2020 12:21:40 19,711 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Rolling Solo do a quick unboxing and setup; One Stop Co-Op Shop guys are great too for some good gameplay. Slickerdrips is always great IMO and certainly worth a watch.

Team Cov did Marvel Mondays, but the camera isn't overhead so it's tough to watch as a beginner. They do go into deck stuff in great detail, so it'll be there when you need it.

Edited by Nemesis at 12:24:21 09-01-2020
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 13:35:57 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Time for Ultron first attempt!

Love not working (temporarily)
  • quadfather 9 Jan 2020 13:57:52 36,597 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought the latest revision of "Sorry!" For Christmas. Unfortunately we were all too pissed up to play it but we'll sort it soon. Can't wait!
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 15:14:56 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @quadfather you're better than this mate.
  • PrivateFloyd 9 Jan 2020 15:42:57 5,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Another newbie to Marvel Champions. Had my first group game at my local gaming club last night and absolutely loved it.
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 15:43:59 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Another newbie to Marvel Champions. Had my first group game at my local gaming club last night and absolutely loved it.
    Wahey! It definitely is. I just lost again with Ms Marvel. She's brilliant to play but find her very hard, at least with protection aspect in solo.

Now Spidey versus Ultron....
  • quadfather 9 Jan 2020 15:46:19 36,597 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Haha

Well, I do still have all the talismans with all the expansion sets. It's getting around to arranging it - most mates I have I'm not sure if they have any interest.

What I really want to play is the original Denys fisher haunted house game but it's rare as fuck now.
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 15:58:37 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Haha

Well, I do still have all the talismans with all the expansion sets. It's getting around to arranging it - most mates I have I'm not sure if they have any interest.

What I really want to play is the original Denys fisher haunted house game but it's rare as fuck now.
    There are better games now. Join us... you might find there are non digital games that do more for you. It certainly surprised me!
  • Your-Mother 9 Jan 2020 16:16:40 4,286 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FWIW, a few minor house rules can help limit some of the swingy-ness of Marvel Champions - IE, you're doing really well and then suddenly lose because of bad cards (especially if you're playing true solo). Like, on the enemy turn drawing the bomb threat side scheme giving them a +1 draw, then on the next turn drawing assault followed by gang-up (or two advances) = usually instant game over. The game is very tailored to role-based play with three players - tank, attacker, defender. In true solo Rhino, for instance, switching back to alter-ego mode to heal means there's a good chance Rhino could generate 7+ threat in a single boss phase. That being said, it's quick setup and turnaround, so it's not that stressful to just start again.

That's also probably a part of why I'm finding it simply good rather than excellent, as it's much harder to strategically build a deck to combat specific encounters due to the swings. I'm sure that'll change with more expansions to flesh out the options though.
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 16:24:25 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Your-Mother I'm not sure I agree with you there. There are only 2 pip cards in Rhinos deck so the most threat he can generate in a turn is 3. I find the game is nicely strategic and balance - you know when you're in the danger zone when you're at 4 threat and you leave yourself on your alter ego side. So for Rhino keeping him under 4 threat is really key, take your time and build up to a big turn while keeping that in check.

You can also check the discard for how many 2 pip cards have come out or how many Advance cards are left etc.

There is definitely RNG don't get me wrong but I find it is quite well balanced.

One of the things I *really* like about it *is* the swingyness of the threat and health. You can go down to 1 health and all the way back to full several times in a session. Likewise threat can get within a point away from mission failure and then have 0 threat the following turn. But you are in control of those boundaries. You can often calculate the worst case scenario and you know when you're taking a risk or not.

I much prefer these small pools of threat and health that go up and down instead of the usual game design of a huge number that is effectively just a timer.
  • Your-Mother 9 Jan 2020 16:37:17 4,286 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The most threat he can generate in a single -scheme- is 3. But he could scheme twice (possibly three with Breakin' and Takin' in play, or another acceleration from shuffling discard), so you either go redline in a single turn, or just lose outright if there's minions or other threat building cards in play.

I've had that a handful of times now where it's gone "hey, I'm doing pretty good and have solid momentum and oh now I'm dead".

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.