Boardgames anyone? Page 380

• quadfather 9 Jan 2020 16:38:48 35,503 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    @quadfather you're better than this mate.
    Haha

Well, I do still have all the talismans with all the expansion sets. It's getting around to arranging it - most mates I have I'm not sure if they have any interest.

What I really want to play is the original Denys fisher haunted house game but it's rare as fuck now.
    There are better games now. Join us... you might find there are non digital games that do more for you. It certainly surprised me!
    My niche is always fantasy / medieval stuff. What would today's equivalent of talisman be?
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 17:11:09 9,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @quadfather

Gloomhaven? Midarra? You love Dark Souls... there's Dark Souls TBG. Although it has mixed reviews.
  • Tonka 9 Jan 2020 17:12:09 30,080 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @quadfather

Begin with Lords of Waterdeep
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 17:14:12 9,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The most threat he can generate in a single -scheme- is 3. But he could scheme twice (possibly three with Breakin' and Takin' in play, or another acceleration from shuffling discard), so you either go redline in a single turn, or just lose outright if there's minions or other threat building cards in play.

I've had that a handful of times now where it's gone "hey, I'm doing pretty good and have solid momentum and oh now I'm dead".
    Ok Fair enough yeah there are 2 cards in the entire deck that allow him to scheme a second time unexpectedly. That's really unlucky though. And as I said before , you know if those cards are still in the deck or not. I like that the standard decks are in every villain deck so counting the danger cards is part of the game (when they come out for boost etc).

You need some RNG for excitement in a game like this and I personally think they have just enough here. Generating 6 scheme in a turn against Rhino won't happen very often.

I guess he's the only one with a single scheme too.
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2020 17:15:19 9,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @quadfather

Maybe (but I doubt it). It's not really thematic in any way. It's just a nice light euro where you pay attention to colours not their fantasy archtypes.

Edited by Gregolution at 17:15:50 09-01-2020
  • Your-Mother 9 Jan 2020 17:18:49 3,421 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The most threat he can generate in a single -scheme- is 3. But he could scheme twice (possibly three with Breakin' and Takin' in play, or another acceleration from shuffling discard), so you either go redline in a single turn, or just lose outright if there's minions or other threat building cards in play.

I've had that a handful of times now where it's gone "hey, I'm doing pretty good and have solid momentum and oh now I'm dead".
    Ok Fair enough yeah there are 2 cards in the entire deck that allow him to scheme a second time unexpectedly. That's really unlucky though. And as I said before , you know if those cards are still in the deck or not. I like that the standard decks are in every villain deck so counting the danger cards is part of the game (when they come out for boost etc).

You need some RNG for excitement in a game like this and I personally think they have just enough here. Generating 6 scheme in a turn against Rhino won't happen very often.

I guess he's the only one with a single scheme too.
    Yeah, agreed, RNG is needed for the giddy highs and lows, and maybe I've just been consistently unlucky. It's just weird to go from being able to handle hard mode Arkham Horror to being soundly beaten several times on what is ostensibly the tutorial for MC...

I'm complaining too much though. It is a good game, and I'm enjoying it.
  • kentmonkey 9 Jan 2020 20:47:52 23,286 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution I am tempted. It will be played just solo, as I won't have anyone to play it with (not until little Monkey grows up a bit). So...is it just as playable solo as it is multiplayer?
  • kentmonkey 9 Jan 2020 20:48:36 23,286 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Nemesis Thanks for this, and the other tips! I'm checking them out.
  • Nemesis 9 Jan 2020 21:45:09 19,588 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @Gregolution I am tempted. It will be played just solo, as I won't have anyone to play it with (not until little Monkey grows up a bit). So...is it just as playable solo as it is multiplayer?
    Iím only playing solo. Thatís OK. I have pretend friends on the cards.
  • Nemesis 9 Jan 2020 21:45:41 19,588 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Also. Nothing is as swingy as Spider-Man.

/tish
  • kentmonkey 9 Jan 2020 21:53:56 23,286 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    😄

Right, watching videos tomorrow and then probably having a very awkward weekend while I justify having spent £50 on a boardgame.

Wish me luck!
  • Nemesis 9 Jan 2020 23:15:57 19,588 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    good luck!
  • Your-Mother 10 Jan 2020 00:07:16 3,421 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pshh, call us when you spend three hundred or so on a game.

* stares at Gotham City Chronicles that no one ever wants to play *
  • Bleh 10 Jan 2020 07:11:34 376 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To give a bit of a counterweight I wasn't so impressed with Marvel Champions. It's not a bad game but also not a great game.

The deck building aspect is just severely lacking. Sure you can choose one of the aspect decks to have a different experience with the same character but the deck is never going to change much. You can work a bit with the basic cards but those aren't represented much in your deck.

Gameplay wise it felt more like you're going through your deck and hope for that one card to popup to make the rest work the best. In the meantime you're just having some mediocre turns. With Marvel Legendary you could also end up with a weak turn but you know the next one will become so much better because all the good cards are still in your deck. The chance it will happen in Champions is less because the deck is so much bigger. I also feel that your strategy isn't really determine by which cards you pick/buy but more which cards you turn over because of the lack of deck building during play.
  • Tonka 10 Jan 2020 07:25:29 30,080 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    @quadfather

Maybe (but I doubt it). It's not really thematic in any way. It's just a nice light euro where you pay attention to colours not their fantasy archtypes.
    It's a really good introduction to "enthusiast boardgaming". Jumping straight in with Gloomhaven might be a bit much. Maybe "Near and Far" is another good option, I haben't played it so I don't know.

My memories of Talisman is that it was mostly a drawn out grind with hillarious effects caused by bad dice rolls / card draws followed by bitter disapointment once you got into the final circle of hell and got burned by bad dice rolls / card draws.

Still played it a lot during my first and second turns as a boardgamer.
  • Bleh 10 Jan 2020 08:00:18 376 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I finally played some Smash up and it was quiet fun. Most hadn't played it before but it was easy to get starting. I also liked that it wasn't so much in your face stuff. Some "bad" things could happen but the outcome was never that big. Your minions could get moved to a different base or grabbing a card so your hand limit was reached earlier. And if your minions got destroyed it was your own choose not because someone else made you do it.

At least with the base game and the first two expansions. Don't know if it would get worse with other expansions.
  • quadfather 10 Jan 2020 09:42:31 35,503 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    @quadfather

It's a really good introduction to "enthusiast boardgaming". Jumping straight in with Gloomhaven might be a bit much. Maybe "Near and Far" is another good option, I haben't played it so I don't know.

My memories of Talisman is that it was mostly a drawn out grind with hillarious effects caused by bad dice rolls / card draws followed by bitter disapointment once you got into the final circle of hell and got burned by bad dice rolls / card draws.

Still played it a lot during my first and second turns as a boardgamer.
    Yup, that's talisman alright :) I even went the extra mile and made up some cards and got them laminated to extend the fun, even managing to incorporate d&d metal monsters to use to chase you round the board :)

Cheers for the replies - I'll check out all the updated recommendations
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2020 10:20:17 9,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bleh wrote:

The deck building aspect is just severely lacking. Sure you can choose one of the aspect decks to have a different experience with the same character but the deck is never going to change much. You can work a bit with the basic cards but those aren't represented much in your deck.

I agree currently there isn't a huge card pool but wait a year and this will change no doubt.

I can't agree with your comments about gameplay but that's more subjective so fair enough.
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2020 10:24:25 9,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played Crystal Palace last night. After hearing so much about it I was left a bit disappointed.

The central mechanism of picking a side of a die, bidding on the totals and placing it on a worker placement spot is an excellent idea but some of the game built around that was just a bit pants IMO.

The buzz track doesn't seem to work at all as a race and I love race elements in euros. You just don't have incentives to fight for position and a lot of cards / places feed buzz. All the points are in the cards so you can largely ignore that stuff.

I'd play it again but first impression wasn't that good and I'm glad I didn't order it when I was very close a couple of weeks ago.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Jan 2020 10:44:03 6,052 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm waiting to see how the expansions for Marvel turn out. The out of the box experience of Fantasy Flight LCGs is usually somewhat limited at first. If Marvel turns out to be like their other games, a few expansions will required to provide variation and longevity.

I do like FF games but they are generally a money pit, though provide good value over the long term if you really get into playing and deeply exploring a game
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2020 10:57:27 9,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Money pit is right. I'm fully invested in Arkham, Marvel AND X Wing now. They've got me by the short and curlies.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Jan 2020 11:16:55 6,052 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I only have the first cycle and expansion for Arkham LCG but I can see it being enough on its own to be the only solo game that I play. I would have more sets but availability has always been an issue any time I've looked for more stuff.

Going all in on an FFG game could be a good idea *if* you have the discipline to focus in it exclusively. I see the new LCGs from FFG as lifestyle games similar to Magic the Gathering.
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2020 12:22:52 9,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah. I've got a hell of a lot of value out of Arkham Horror LCG. Usually have 2 + campaigns on the go.

Playing tomorrow actually. Almost finished Forgotten Age.
  • Nemesis 10 Jan 2020 14:54:54 19,588 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've gone back to the base box of AH and I'm working through that and first cycle. Poor Roland, he's already at two trauma and I've only done the first mission!

Coming back to MC I would see it as a side game to go alongside whichever LCG you've decided as your 'main'. I don't see myself spending huge money on it and I'm happy to skip packs that hold no interest for me. i'm looking forward to Thor, the other stuff not so much. Which works out great for me. I have a few games I treat almost like Animal Crossing whereby I'll play for 30 minutes and feel I've gotten my day's worth of gaming done.

When I'm busy.....MC or...Legendary Marvel...suit perfectly.

When I have the day to myself and I can setup all the cards, Team Covenant tokens, spend my earned XP, get that packet of biscuits going and a fresh cup of tea on the go....that's Arkham Horror.

Edited by Nemesis at 14:55:12 10-01-2020
  • rice_sandwich 10 Jan 2020 15:06:46 6,052 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I might give my Arkham Horror 2nd edition a run through this weekend. I don't think I've played it for at least 2 years. I prefer Eldritch Horror for its faster and smoother play but a big, sprawling game of AH tells quite a tale.
  • BearFishPie 10 Jan 2020 16:36:53 763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather Though Iíve not played it and thus canít guarantee Iím right, I gather Descent Second Edition is pretty damned fun medieval monster bashing stuff, based around dice chucking and therefore probably much easier to grok than the likes of Gloomhaven. From what I can tell itís more Heroquesty than anything else but might be the kind of thing youíre after. It usually has one player playing the monsters and everyone else playing heroes, but thereís an app if everyone wants to be wailing on the beasties.
  • Nemesis 10 Jan 2020 17:55:55 19,588 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Less hack and slash and more tactical is Descent; you could always try the D&D Adventure boxed sets...though they are (aha) Basic.
  • drhcnip 10 Jan 2020 19:03:51 6,453 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    managed to start a bit of a collection now of various board and card games but a quick question...

if anyone sells theirs on when finished with, where do you do it? never seen many being sold on the forum here
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2020 09:38:48 30,080 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @drhcnip Ove yet to sell any of my games, but when people do it tends to be on Facebook.
  • Gregolution 11 Jan 2020 10:22:07 9,692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah facebook groups are the best. I just got back from the post office selling a couple.

I sell loads of games to keep my collection inside my self imposed age limit! I get stressed out when I get near the cap so just sold a few more yesterday.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.