Following Boardgames anyone? Page 381

• alt-cmd-esc 11 Jan 2020 10:42:15 469 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @drhcnip I've got quite a few games to sell, but I don't use Facebook, so am going to use the marketplace on BGG, eBay, and local game groups. I'm sure Facebook is way better than these options, but I'm not signing up just to sell some games

Edited by alt-cmd-esc at 10:42:27 11-01-2020
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Jan 2020 10:44:00 15,796 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played Scythe again last week. This time with the Invaders from Afar expansion. I was the new green character and came last.

Most of that was due to 2 of the other players making my game very difficult but the faction also seemed quite difficult to use. The lack of a +1 Move seemed particularly crippling although I did not make use of the move to villager / flag warp that replaces it.
  • drhcnip 11 Jan 2020 12:07:21 6,462 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thanks for the selling advice, chaps - i'd had a look on marketplace but hadn't thought of groups...off for a pootle

Edited by drhcnip at 12:11:28 11-01-2020
  • danathjo 13 Jan 2020 10:56:45 8,259 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Play any good games lately?

Just had a 4 player game of Oath prototype. Such a weird game! Never played a Pax game (or Root) so it took me a while to get to grips with it. Only about 90 minutes with 2 new players though. Kind of like a legacy game that has the winner and certain winning cards cross over to the next game, and possibly a new winning condition.

Very different to anything I've ever played, if I had a regular big group to play with I'd definitely get it but probably won't with my regular 2 player sessions, keen to play again!

Now I really want to try Pax Pamir 2nd ed.
  • drhickman1983 13 Jan 2020 11:00:20 6,683 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think that's the version of Pax Pamir my friend has, it's one of the most gorgeous games, the cloth map and pieces are just really pleasing to behold.

Great game too.
  • danathjo 13 Jan 2020 11:41:41 8,259 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep the cloth map is 2nd edition. Another one I don't need to buy but heard nothing but great things!

Edited by danathjo at 11:42:27 13-01-2020
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Jan 2020 11:48:48 32,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had a great game of Lords of Hellas over he weekend.

I failed to win by controlling 2 territories by 1 army point one turn before another player killed their 3rd monster on the same turn the next player would have held on for a monument win.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Jan 2020 11:48:59 32,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think that makes sense.
  • Tonka 13 Jan 2020 11:50:26 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Where did you get to try the park prototype? I'm jealous.

Pamir 2ndE is great solo as well.

98% sure I'm getting Age of Steam for my birthday. On Mars is shipping... Finally.

My house is a construction site so no gaming for me.

Been up all night at the hospital with my son. He's ok though, but I need some sleep
  • danathjo 13 Jan 2020 12:14:59 8,259 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka a friend got a copy to make a review/impressions video for the upcoming kickstarter. Proper shoebox printed paper board style which didn't affect the fun BUT apparently the real thing will have a neoprene matt as standard. No idea on price though.

Been getting more into solo gaming too, mostly Marvel Legendary but have Fallout w/expansion in the mail plus reading up on a few game I already have witt Automa included.

Had my finger on Nemos War too, would love to hear and impressions if anyone else here has played it.
  • Tonka 13 Jan 2020 12:36:14 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @danathjo I've only heard positive things about Nemos War. If it wasn't for the fact that it's solo only (or MAINLY I guess) then it would probably get more buzz.

Games I've enjoyed soloing are (in order of enjoyment had)
    Shadowrun Crossfire
    Leaving Earth
    Pax Pamir 2nd E
    Escape Plan
    7th Continent
    Flamme Rouge

They've all been great solo experiences. All have pretty quick set up, except for Escape Plan (which isn't tooooo bad but a massive table hog) and tear down which I think is an important factor.

I've also played all factions of Cuba Libre against myself and it was a great experience, but since I didn't use the bots it was a solo experience.
  • danathjo 13 Jan 2020 13:09:20 8,259 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Already played Escape Plan 2 player with Sandra so one more extra deck for Costa? Doesn't seem too bad. Okay, will try that one next as I already own it.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 13 Jan 2020 13:25:28 32,460 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've been playing Thunderbirds a few times solo, but only won once. Almost won a few times but bad rolls or cards early on before you have the resources to mitigate them can really screw you over.

It works quite well as a solo game. You're basically playing 3 players, with additional special solo rules to switch characters, but thematically it makes sense that you're coordinating all the Thunderbirds and it is quite fun. Of the games I've lost, I'd only say one was probably unwinnable due to the way the cards were drawn.
  • BearFishPie 14 Jan 2020 08:59:24 806 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On Mars just showed up. That’s one big box!
  • Tonka 14 Jan 2020 10:08:32 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @BearFishPie Fingers crossed mine will be delivered today. I'm working from home to oversee the delivery of my new kitchen, so this time I might not have to haul my ass to some pick up point in the remotest area of an industrial zone outside the suburbs of a town where I don't even live.

Just realised they'll show up when I'm picking up my son at school.

F.M.L

Edited by Tonka at 10:10:35 14-01-2020
  • Tonka 14 Jan 2020 10:10:03 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Oath and Return to Dark Tower Kickstarters launch today. I'll be backing Oath despite what I might have said about not backing it.
  • Gregolution 14 Jan 2020 10:23:41 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka

I salute your willpower sir
  • Gregolution 14 Jan 2020 10:24:34 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Had a great game of Lords of Hellas over he weekend.

I failed to win by controlling 2 territories by 1 army point one turn before another player killed their 3rd monster on the same turn the next player would have held on for a monument win.
    That is amazing for that type of game. I found monster killing usually dominated my few games of it
  • Tonka 14 Jan 2020 10:37:38 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's an Age of Steam sized box in gift wrapping in the attic that I noticed by accident. (I was looking for replacement LEGO parts)

I did tell my wife I would like it for my birthday, and I did notice the inventory of it dropped by one the next day. I'll be sad if it isn't Age of Steam in that box but a pair of running shoes or some such.
  • Tonka 14 Jan 2020 12:10:17 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DHL fucked it up. Intentionally most likely. Will have to go to some pick up point in the remotest area of an industrial zone outside the suburbs of a town where I don't even live.

Tomorrow.

Fucknuts

Bet they were just too lazy to handle it
  • Tonka 14 Jan 2020 17:18:32 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm backer 266
  • BearFishPie 14 Jan 2020 19:31:05 806 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka Ugh that’s a pain. Hope you manage to pick it up without too much trouble
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jan 2020 06:37:07 23,696 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Played Scythe again last week. This time with the Invaders from Afar expansion. I was the new green character and came last.

Most of that was due to 2 of the other players making my game very difficult but the faction also seemed quite difficult to use. The lack of a +1 Move seemed particularly crippling although I did not make use of the move to villager / flag warp that replaces it.
    The Albions are definitely hard to get used to (not as hard as the Japanese though), and the lack of +1 movement is a big drawback. But that Rally ability is OP as fuck, it's probably the best mech ability in the whole game. It's just so flexible.
  • Gregolution 15 Jan 2020 07:58:03 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And Greg crashes out of the LoB Terra Mystica competition in the 2nd round again!
  • Bleh 15 Jan 2020 09:56:14 418 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    At least it's not worse than before :-P.
  • Gregolution 15 Jan 2020 10:45:57 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bleh wrote:
    At least it's not worse than before :-P.
    :lol:
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 Jan 2020 18:02:43 32,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone played Crisis before?

I've had my eye on it for a while as it thought it looked like quite cool, cynical take on the economic worker placement genre.

Just spied it in the final NY discounts in my local store and grabbed it for 15 quid, which just seemed rude to turn down.

Any thoughts on it and whether it's worth cracking out on game night?
  • Your-Mother 15 Jan 2020 23:22:44 4,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone else following the crazy clusterfuck of the Beyond the Monolith stuff? In short, Monolith (of Conan and Gotham City Stories) were working on a base game kit that would allow you to do 1v1 battles with squads from a whole range of games, meaning you could reuse the minis from, say, Cthulhu Wars and fight against Batman. Or Zombicide. Or any other board game properties who signed on. It was setup as “stop buying minis and reuse the ones you have”.

And....errrr....they launched the most confusing Kickstarter ever with 200+ miniatures specific for just this one game system. The entire point of it was to simplify very dense game systems (the Conan/Batman ones) and reduce miniatures even across publishers.

The KS is now cancelled and it looks like they’re rethinking the entire thing. Embarrassing.

More thorough write up on the calamity here - https://www.tabletoptribe.com/beyond-the-monolith-or-how-to-ruin-cool-with-bloat/
  • Tonka 16 Jan 2020 05:02:10 30,818 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    @Tonka Ugh that’s a pain. Hope you manage to pick it up without too much trouble
    It wasn't too bad actually. What s box though...

Just figuring out where to put all the chits and meepels and he's and cards and boards and KS extras...

Thank Gods for that German guy on YouTube with an upboxing video.

Edited by Tonka at 05:39:40 16-01-2020
  • Bleh 16 Jan 2020 11:13:49 418 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah every thing in that campaign was done wrong and hard to follow. Luckily I was only interested in the Legacy stuff which made it easy but Monolith screwed that one up pretty big.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.