Following Boardgames anyone? Page 394

• Your-Mother 3 Mar 2020 22:40:27 4,276 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In other Marvel news I see Marvel United is taking the Kickstarter FOMO to a new level in its final hours. Roughly 70% of the content is KS exclusive. Still very unimpressed with what gameplay Iíve seen.
  • PrivateFloyd 3 Mar 2020 22:43:16 5,315 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Your-Mother

Not interested in it in the slightest.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 3 Mar 2020 23:24:01 32,458 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I ended up pledging for Marvel United as I really fancy it :) It's pretty much exactly what I want from that sort of game. I played The Reckoners the other day and ended up talking myself into wanting Marvel United as I'd love to have a simpler version of that focused more on using different teams and seeing how they synergise, which is something The Reckoners lacked (with good cause, given it was based on just 1 book with a set number of heroes). I love the way that game escalates, which mechanically isn't all that far off what this does.

Definitely not for everyone, given the art style, but it looks like it could potentially be a great family game, especially with younger players. Will definitely need the Infinity Gauntlet expansion If you want a longer game, but overall it's my sort of thing.
  • Gregolution 4 Mar 2020 09:53:26 10,006 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey

It's in stock at magic madhouse mate (green goblin)
  • PrivateFloyd 5 Mar 2020 14:29:47 5,315 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had my dispatch email from bgextras for Thor expansion (marvel champions).
  • kentmonkey 5 Mar 2020 17:02:49 23,562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @kentmonkey

It's in stock at magic madhouse mate (green goblin)
    Just seen this, thank you.
  • danathjo 6 Mar 2020 11:28:53 8,259 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone else listen to Game Brain podcast? Only listened for a bit over a month but catching up.

Some great intelligent discussion that goes deeper than any other bg podcast I've heard, fantastic host with some great guests do far. Highly recommended!

Also, have managed to not cave to temptation with the latest West Kingdom game, but it does look very interesting!

Not long until Pax Pamir 2nd KS 😊
    Then Frosthaven? Maybe 🤷‍♂️
  • Rhaegyr 6 Mar 2020 11:39:17 5,122 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone have any experience of King's Dilemma?

Tempted to pick it up for a game next weekend with a few mates. I know it's a legacy game but I don't have one of those of my own yet (played Pandemic with a friend). Just wondering if anyone's given it a shot?
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2020 11:53:51 10,006 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @danathjo

Yes that's the only podcast I listen to now.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2020 12:03:46 30,814 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I can't stand them. I've listened to well over a dozen of their shows because I really like "the format". But, I can't stand some of the persons on it. They come across like parodies of american dude bros.

Luckily So very wrong about games shares the same basic format (I sometimes wonder if Game Brain isn't a straight rip off)and two hosts I can stand.
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2020 12:32:41 10,006 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka

yeah we're very different. I used to listen to that one but their taste differs so far from mine it's pointless. And the main chatty guy gets quite bloody annoying showing off his linguistic skills all the time. He LOVES the sound of his own voice.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2020 13:00:48 30,814 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've noticed that swvag are pretty divisive. People do tend to find them (or well, the main chatty guy) a bit pretentious. I take pretentious over low brow bros any day.

Best bit about Game Brain was when Dimitry was on.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2020 13:01:49 30,814 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Anyone have any experience of King's Dilemma?
    Seems like everyone loves it to bits. Haven't tried it myself though. Not interested in playing any more campaign games. (Eyes Sleeping Gods order)
  • rice_sandwich 6 Mar 2020 13:07:08 6,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My main go to for reviews is Boardgame Ramblings, although it's a YouTube channel rather than a podcast. I still like Rahdo as I've learned to tell when he really likes a game rather than thinking it's decent. There are so many decent games that I find it hard to spot the ones that align well with my eurocentric tastes.
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2020 13:15:44 10,006 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually don't really listen to anyone's opinion on games, but I like to listen to a podcast just to hear what the game sounds like. I find it all so subjective. I know what I like now, I don't need to hear a review from anyone.

Seeing / hearing about some gameplay is all I care about.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2020 13:20:07 30,814 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Review are tough. My absolute number one is Bottom Shelf Boardgames youtube channel

He doesn't do that many though. Calandale is obviously a natural so I guess I don't even have to mention him. But when it comes to mainstream reviews I think he really nails it.

SU&SD are entertaining but their tastes are miles away from mine. I think NoPunIncluded are the closest to my tastes but again, they don't have time to release enough reviews to cover everything I'm interested in.
  • kentmonkey 6 Mar 2020 14:40:45 23,562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    +1 for Rahdo here.

It helps he's got a great voice and also seems to be a very likeable guy, who is passionate about board games.
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2020 16:07:13 10,006 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bloody postman never turned up lazy git. No Thor for me
  • PrivateFloyd 6 Mar 2020 17:11:55 5,315 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Gregolution not just you pal me too. Although the postman did come but with no marvel goodness. Best come tomorrow.

Edited by PrivateFloyd at 17:12:15 06-03-2020
  • McGeeza 6 Mar 2020 17:35:43 2,011 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am also a member of the no Thor today club.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2020 18:02:31 30,814 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I am Thor
  • kentmonkey 6 Mar 2020 18:32:18 23,562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka why, what have you done?

/Gets coat
  • kentmonkey 8 Mar 2020 11:51:47 23,562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I started listening to a Marvel Champions podcast (Marvel Champions monthly). It's...alright. I'm giving it time because it's the first episode, but it's all over the shop and one of the guys voices is way louder than everyone elses, and seems to go right through my ears.

Anyway, more important point, in their first episode they are talking about the game and how they've played 40-50 games each and how each card plays etc....yet they've commented that the game isn't out yet for a few weeks (this was recorded in Sept last year) and they can't wait to get their cards.

Soooo....how were they playing it? Is there a PC version where it's emulated (presumably non-official)?
  • rice_sandwich 8 Mar 2020 13:05:15 6,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Probably a Tabletop Simulator mod.
  • PrivateFloyd 8 Mar 2020 13:12:36 5,315 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Doesnít get much better unfortunately having listened to all of them BUT they do know their stuff, Kennedy Hawk in particular.

In related news Iíve played a couple of games with Thor Aggression and struggling. His low hand size means itís difficult to get any momentum going.
  • Tonka 8 Mar 2020 17:44:55 30,814 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A podcast only about marvel champions.
    I'm impressed, that's some next level geekery.
  • Your-Mother 8 Mar 2020 17:58:15 4,276 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not too surprising. Itís the new hotness. Look at the volume of podcasts about things like MtG or Pokťmon TCG. Pretty sure thereís several Arkham Horror podcasts too.
  • Nemesis 8 Mar 2020 17:59:16 19,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    In other Marvel news I see Marvel United is taking the Kickstarter FOMO to a new level in its final hours. Roughly 70% of the content is KS exclusive. Still very unimpressed with what gameplay Iíve seen.
    Classic CMON; not in the slightest interested because itís that lot. Drives me potty that CMON business model does.

In other news, Iíve decided to unsleeve all my a Marvel Champions cards. Suddenly I have a fuck ton of room and the card art is all beautiful and sharp again. Just had enough of making sleeve decisions and storage decisions for a £40 game. This is probably fuelled by the word that FFG are changing sleeve designs so their standard sleeves are a-changing. Watch this space.
  • Nemesis 8 Mar 2020 18:01:28 19,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Gameslore came good on the Thor pre-order; those first run of player mats should hit next week if anyone is interested. Hope so ... Iíve had the 1-4 player mat pre-ordered for a while now.
  • Your-Mother 8 Mar 2020 18:58:34 4,276 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The sleeve news is troubling to me. Iíve got basically anything that uses standard cards and requires shuffling sleeved with FFG, including complete current sets of LotR and AH LCGs, probably works out to well in excess of 10,000 cards in total across all games - tried other brands but nothing came close to FFG for me. That said, I have about 5000 spare sleeves right now (saw a bulk buy deal that worked out to be a third of usual cost, so stocked up) so I should be pretty future proof and I can probably find a very close approximation.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.