Following Boardgames anyone? Page 395

• Kernowgaz 8 Mar 2020 19:01:52 47 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Gameslore came good on the Thor pre-order; those first run of player mats should hit next week if anyone is interested. Hope so ... I’ve had the 1-4 player mat pre-ordered for a while now.
    I bought 2 of these and they’re decent.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F274096816901
  • Your-Mother 8 Mar 2020 19:03:03 4,057 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh, and the 1-4 player mat for MC is worth the wait. One of their more decent mats, some of the other ones have too busy backgrounds that make it difficult to get a good table read at a glance.
  • Nemesis 8 Mar 2020 19:20:55 19,699 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    well it’s only rumour on the sleeves...however they did hire the guy from Ultimate Guard for their accessories range and word is the sleeves won’t be quite so tall!

I do favour a single colour playmat usually...Ultimate Guard mats are good, but they take a while to properly flatten off. Saying that, I’ve got a custom BGG one for LOTR and that’s neat...however my current favourite is the Legendary Marvel Thanos one which is just stunningly pretty.
  • Nemesis 8 Mar 2020 19:21:54 19,699 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The 1-4 player playmat should be perfect; a nice darkish blue and not too in your face.
  • Nemesis 8 Mar 2020 19:22:48 19,699 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:
    Gameslore came good on the Thor pre-order; those first run of player mats should hit next week if anyone is interested. Hope so ... I’ve had the 1-4 player mat pre-ordered for a while now.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F274096816901
    How funny; I just picked up one of his Journeys in Middle Earth playmats!
  • Your-Mother 8 Mar 2020 20:02:06 4,057 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kinda interesting/scary to see what’s going on with FFG in general. They’ve shed a load of staff, shut down their video game division, Asmodee has also canned a load of people and completely stopped their previously amazing replacement policy. If it wasn’t for the sheer mainstream success of Marvel Champions I’d be inclined to say they were in real danger.
  • Kernowgaz 8 Mar 2020 20:52:27 47 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:

How funny; I just picked up one of his Journeys in Middle Earth playmats!
    And I bought 2 of them :-)
  • Gregolution 8 Mar 2020 22:13:31 9,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Kinda interesting/scary to see what’s going on with FFG in general. They’ve shed a load of staff, shut down their video game division, Asmodee has also canned a load of people and completely stopped their previously amazing replacement policy. If it wasn’t for the sheer mainstream success of Marvel Champions I’d be inclined to say they were in real danger.
    I think it was just some rpg that didn't work and the digital division that saw cuts. I can't see FFG being in trouble.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2020 23:12:44
    They really fucked up with the LotR digital adaptation.

I think FFG could make loads of money if they set up a digital shop and let people buy digital packs. They are too concerned about making all the card rules work when they should just let people resolve the rules just like on the table top.
  • Your-Mother 8 Mar 2020 23:56:56 4,057 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, the video game is pretty bad. They didn’t do a direct conversion, instead did this weird half-assed interpretation then killed it a few months after launch, no new content or features.
  • Kernowgaz 9 Mar 2020 07:48:40 47 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Yeah, the video game is pretty bad. They didn’t do a direct conversion, instead did this weird half-assed interpretation then killed it a few months after launch, no new content or features.
    They have released content though, they’ve just released some which includes 2 extra campaigns.
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2020 18:20:37 9,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really enjoyed my first game with Thor, much more interesting than Captain Boring. He's fun, more so than I thought he'd be.

For those talking about sleeves on the last page - for standard sleeves I can recommend Mayday Premiums and Ultra Pro Clear. I've just bought 2000 of each!

And finally... backed Pax Pamir 2nd edition :)
  • danathjo 10 Mar 2020 22:00:55 8,251 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep, backed.
    Definitely getting those metal coins too!
  • kentmonkey 10 Mar 2020 22:40:51 23,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Marvel Champions story box will be Rise of Red Skull.

Looks like it's Red Skull, Modok and Hydra against Hawkeye and Spider Woman....

A little underwhelmed with that. Thought it would be Red Skull and Hawkeye was high up the list was well, but thought we'd see Falcon and a couple of other decent enemies.

Modok, for me, is dull and I never really got into Red Skull either as a legit enemy. So thematically it leaves me cold at this stage. Spiderwoman as well....meh.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Mar 2020 23:49:33 32,901 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Modok...is dull
    Outrageous slander.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2020 07:05:37 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Character art is just window dressing. It's all about novel and interesting game mechanics ultimately.
  • Gregolution 11 Mar 2020 07:38:52 9,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Character art is just window dressing. It's all about novel and interesting game mechanics ultimately.
    Exactly
  • kentmonkey 11 Mar 2020 07:45:19 23,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Usually I would agree but surely one of the huge attractions of this game, and I include myself in this, is being able to play as certain characters.

People will buy Hulk/Thor etc whether they're actually good or not. They probably won't buy Spiderwoman in the same way.

Arguably the knew that and that's why she's in the box rather than an individual release but.... The box needs to have another attraction instead, and with such a wealth of characters to choose from, why Spiderwoman anyway?

I appreciate there will be some Spiderwoman fans out there. And for those four I am really pleased for them.

Edited by kentmonkey at 07:45:59 11-03-2020
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2020 08:08:06 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @kentmonkey

In time you won't even notice the theme or characters (that much). It might just be me but I usually boil games down to the mechanisms that are in play and stats. I notice the theme in a wider sense and can enjoy it, but I wouldn't drop a cool mechanic just because I don't like the artwork or a particular character. Of course it's interesting to build themed decks even if they're weaker just for the fun of it. It's your game so you should do as you please.

Aeons End is a good example - incredibly generic theme and bland artwork doesn't stop it being enjoyable as it has interesting game features.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 08:09:16 11-03-2020
  • Gregolution 11 Mar 2020 08:10:57 9,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Not me. I don't even like Marvel. I don't watch any of the Marvel films, just not a fan.

I do love FFG card games though so I bought in for that reason alone
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Mar 2020 08:16:43 32,901 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The incredibly dull looking theme and art is what puts me off buying Aeons End, so there's a balance needed.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
  • Gregolution 11 Mar 2020 08:24:56 9,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The incredibly dull looking theme and art is what puts me off buying Aeons End, so there's a balance needed.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
    That is actually really true, agreed. I don't necessarily have to like the theme but art is more important. I had Aeon's end and really enjoyed the game but tbh the art eventually started to get to me. Hated it.

Marvel as a universe I don't care for but the art in Marvel Champions is really nice.
  • Gregolution 11 Mar 2020 08:26:20 9,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

Btw - have you played any more Barrage? I managed to teach my wife the game and surprisingly she loved it! This is a huge score, think we'll end up playing it quite a bit.

Will soon introduce the expansion which I have (somewhere...).
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Mar 2020 08:28:43 32,901 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, still loving it. Helps a lot that it scales pretty well, plus you can chuck in an AI if you want to change it up a bit.

I struggle to find much in the way of flaws with it.
  • kentmonkey 11 Mar 2020 08:35:05 23,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I guess, for me, I'm into Marvel Champions more than anything else because of the theme. It's a great game, but the theme is a really important pull to me.

That's why I haven't got Ms Marvel deck, nor am I likely to get Black Panther or Doctor Strange as I have no real affinity towards those characters and so unlikely to play as them.

I've realised I'm only really likely to play a hand with someone I "like" as a character. Perhaps that puts me in a different set of player though to the norm.
  • Gregolution 11 Mar 2020 08:39:52 9,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Nah I reckon that's fairly normal too! We're all different. I have no idea what the split is but I'm sure loads of people jumped at the game because of theme first and foremost.

Ms. Marvel is the best fun to play though! :)
  • PrivateFloyd 11 Mar 2020 08:44:36 5,308 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Another shout out for Ms Marvel. She’s a hoot to play as!!

Unfortunately my OCD/FOMO means I need ALLLLLLL the expansions!!
  • kentmonkey 11 Mar 2020 09:38:30 23,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I hear that a lot about her.

I might pick her up eventually, for now though, with limited funds, in trying to concentrate on just the sets that appeal, thematically, the most.

FFG are also making it easier on the funds because there's so limited stock of everything you can't actually but it anyway! 😆
  • rice_sandwich 11 Mar 2020 09:49:08 6,426 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's no bad thing as once you have a few expansions it can be quite hard to know where to begin and it can be totally overwhelming. There will probably be power creep via new packs so it'll be interesting to see how early sets and scenarios hold up once more content is released.
  • Gregolution 11 Mar 2020 10:12:59 9,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hang on... Modok is that big brain thing. He's also a module though. Can you add his module to his villain deck? that's a bit odd. Also the vulture is spidey's nemesis so will be weird playing spiderman against Vulture.

The good news is.... 3 more villains is brilliant! Exactly what I want. More villains.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.