• rice_sandwich 16 Mar 2020 15:04:55 6,426 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Double post.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 15:05:41 16-03-2020
  • Nemesis 16 Mar 2020 16:49:18 19,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ACBAS ..I just find it much easier to setup, play, parse. As it's the complete edition you have lots of options for buildings...It's certainly more fun than Cave vs Cave, which is just a bit fucking dull.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2020 21:12:25 17,011 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just posting a friends boardgame kickstarter in case anyone is interested - details here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fantasticbooks/the-gorgons-loch-defeat-the-gorgon-queen
  • Gregolution 17 Mar 2020 08:34:14 9,976 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok so the Gallerist is really incredible I'm happy to say now that I've played three times.

I'm.officially a Lacerda fanboi
  • rice_sandwich 17 Mar 2020 08:57:45 6,426 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rosenberg fans note that Ora et Labora has been reprinted after long being oop. Quite a good game but the non variable setup will limit the number of plays you'll get out of it. One for completionists.
  • Tonka 17 Mar 2020 09:09:56 30,645 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was going to play Root this friday. Cancelled it because flatten the curve.

This is the third time I've had to cancell a game of Root. I'm starting to think the universe don't want me to play Root
  • f00b_inc 17 Mar 2020 11:04:19 780 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As we move towards self isolation I think it's time to ask the EG hive mind for board gaming tips... I picked up Wingspan at Christmas and my wife loves it (!) I think the art style got her hooked initially and she quite enjoyed the engine building aspect of how the various components of your bird house interact for points (I am not sure how to explain this sorry!)

Her one complaint is that it feels a bit 'separate' from the other player and she wants something more interactive/competitive. It's true you do just more or less focus on your own board. Any suggestions for something with more player interaction but still with a strong theme?
  • McGeeza 17 Mar 2020 11:10:18 2,006 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If she's a fan of the Cold War ( :D ) then Twilight Struggle has got to be up there.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Mar 2020 11:13:56 6,426 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The main issue is that at 2p any high interaction game is going to be mean with a lot of intentional take that elements. 7 Wonders Duel comes to mind.
  • f00b_inc 17 Mar 2020 11:21:34 780 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @McGeeza

Might be a tough sell! :D
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 Mar 2020 11:26:54 32,417 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    f00b_inc wrote:
    Her one complaint is that it feels a bit 'separate' from the other player and she wants something more interactive/competitive.
    I've only played it once, but I played Wingspan with the European Expansion and that introduced a whole lot of player interaction. Most of the points I was making were because I had stuff that triggered from what others were doing, and vice versa.

I realise it's quite pricey for an expansion, but it does sound like it might address that issue. Have a look at some reviews for the European Expansion for more info and see what you think :)
  • doctor_nick 17 Mar 2020 11:59:31 237 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Would coop games work for you? Interacting together...!
    Pandemic is now #2 on The Hotness on bgg, we're all prepared
  • f00b_inc 17 Mar 2020 12:09:31 780 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The expansion to Wingspan sounds like a great idea I'll check it out thanks!

We actually have 7 Wonders Duel - in fact the same observation was raised that this felt similarly 'separate' with the exception of nicking the cards you knew the other person wants (it is brilliant though and we both enjoy it!)

We do indeed have Pandemic - apparently I prefer coop to her though. She's quite competitive.
  • danathjo 18 Mar 2020 06:45:09 8,251 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Similar weight and great with 2, I'd suggest Five Tribes and Seasons.
    Very interactive and completely variable each game.
  • Tonka 18 Mar 2020 07:30:20 30,645 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @f00b_inc Flamme Rouge with the Peloton expansion. Patchwork.

Did it have to be two player?
  • Tonka 18 Mar 2020 07:31:18 30,645 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I played Catan Jr with my sons (7 & 9) last night. The youngest did a real dick-move an blocked out the eldest. I was so proud.

Tonight we'll be playing Lords of Waterdeep.
  • BearFishPie 18 Mar 2020 07:57:11 802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @f00b_inc I will caveat that I havenít played it and so canít vouch firsthand, but suspect Res Arcana might be just the thing. Itís an engine building card game by the designer of the *superb* Race for the Galaxy and Jump Drive games, both of which are also engine builders, but incorporates more direct competition* than those involve. Itís probably worth watching a play through video to get an idea how it functions.

*take-that stuff

Edited by BearFishPie at 07:58:54 18-03-2020
  • Tonka 18 Mar 2020 08:03:39 30,645 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @f00b_inc Race for the Galaxy
  • Gregolution 18 Mar 2020 08:40:00 9,976 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    @f00b_inc I will caveat that I havenít played it and so canít vouch firsthand, but suspect Res Arcana might be just the thing. Itís an engine building card game by the designer of the *superb* Race for the Galaxy and Jump Drive games, both of which are also engine builders, but incorporates more direct competition* than those involve. Itís probably worth watching a play through video to get an idea how it functions.

*take-that stuff
    Yeah boyeee. Fantastic game
  • Gregolution 18 Mar 2020 08:40:51 9,976 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played another game of S&S with my eldest last night. We had a great time but failed, restarting today. Will be sad when we're finished, only 3 more missions to go after this one.
  • Gregolution 18 Mar 2020 08:45:45 9,976 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @f00b_inc

What bearfishpie said above - res arcana. I've played it loads, fantastic game. Although I'd also recommend Race for the Galaxy, I wouldn't recommend it if she's specifically after interaction.

There is interaction in Race but it's more subtle and really only comes up when you know the game really well.

With Res Arcana the interaction is a bit more obvious. There are really strong direct interaction cards but the real interaction of the game is having to keep an eye on what the other players victory points are at all times and knowing if their engine can affect yours - leaking resources for example or if they're going for the same place of power etc.

It's a fantastic game, honestly. Was my GOTY for 2019.
  • f00b_inc 18 Mar 2020 11:19:01 780 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Doesn't have to be 2-player but it's usually just us so anything that works well for two. I am hovering over Wingspan expansion & Res Arcana to add to the basket (so much for saving money from not going to the pub...)

Patchwork looks nice too (and is cheap) - I will add to the list for another time. I don't think the cycling or space themes will work for her unfortunately :D
  • danathjo 18 Mar 2020 12:44:12 8,251 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played my first game of Pursuit of Happiness, mid weight euro version of game of life.

Very fun and a bit of role playing going through life picking up jobs, hobbies etc. Married a hunky Terry crews lookalike named Kerry...and became a chef, joined a biker gang, never had kids but managed to finish restoring my classic car and enjoy some fine dining which was nice.

Edited by danathjo at 12:53:55 18-03-2020
  • danathjo 18 Mar 2020 12:46:16 8,251 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @f00b_inc I'd also recommend Arboretum, cheap and so tense! Funny scoring but once you know....it's amazing!
  • doctor_nick 18 Mar 2020 13:24:24 237 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My wife loves Wingspan and also Everdell, so that might work for you - worker placement plus tableau building, but basically it's really pretty and about the same weight as Wingspan. Good setup for two players too (e.g. extra spaces being blocked).

Just done my own stockpiling (and kids are off school from today too, so good timing): we now have copies of Castles of Burgundy, Agricola Family Edition, Ice Cool, Tash-Kalar and Bandido (small card game). Which means we need more shelving somehow.
  • Tonka 18 Mar 2020 13:33:11 30,645 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    @f00b_inc I'd also recommend Arboretum, cheap and so tense! Funny scoring but once you know....it's amazing!
    This, yes. Great game. Same for Air, Land, & Sea.
  • BearFishPie 18 Mar 2020 20:36:01 802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    Oh my goodness yes! Itís an absolute nail biter of a game at two players.
  • BearFishPie 18 Mar 2020 20:40:56 802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know itís the new hotness in board gaming circles, but hot damn if The Crew isnít really very good indeed. Itís a cooperative trick taking game with severe communication limitations and a laughably thin Ďstoryí which is effectively just a way to convey a whole mess of different spins on the core conceit of Ďwin only the right tricksí. Some fun visual gags in the cards too, subtle enough to be overlooked by most.
  • Nemesis 18 Mar 2020 20:51:07 19,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Rosenberg fans note that Ora et Labora has been reprinted after long being oop. Quite a good game but the non variable setup will limit the number of plays you'll get out of it. One for completionists.
    Same for the Fields of Arle Tea and Trade expansion...won't be around for long, but will re-print again if you're not worried about it.
  • Nemesis 18 Mar 2020 20:52:29 19,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    f00b_inc wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Doesn't have to be 2-player but it's usually just us so anything that works well for two. I am hovering over Wingspan expansion & Res Arcana to add to the basket (so much for saving money from not going to the pub...)

Patchwork looks nice too (and is cheap) - I will add to the list for another time. I don't think the cycling or space themes will work for her unfortunately :D
    We integrated the Wingspan expansion straight into the existing cards and never looked back!

Plus...purple eggs!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.