Following Boardgames anyone? Page 421

• ChiefGB 20 May 2020 11:45:20 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Bleh yeah, I watched rolling solos walkthrough, and we failed, but only because I assumed the elites were the end target, it wasnít and all that was needed was to pass the tests on a nearby revealed search token, a little gutted but I still think we had the moral victory lol as we wiped the baddies out.
    He received 4xp for a successful mission against our 3 so thatís a thing, and yes I expect things to be a little tougher going in.
    We simply must not fail this next one in my mind.
  • Bleh 20 May 2020 13:22:09 411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB yeah it sounded like a failure but than again I thought they did get away. Reckon they do get away if you only needed the search token. Maybe we did go for the kill as well, killing is usually a good way for victory :). Well I got confused but good to have a reminder for when we start again :).

So there's a little difference between rewards, good to know. Than again it would make sense giving a higher reward for a victory.
  • ChiefGB 20 May 2020 17:53:29 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well we got trounced on second chapter.
    Well I say trounced, Aragorn got taken out by gulgotar.
    We started so well, and I thought we were on the upper foot, found has hiding spot And piled on on him, unfortunately he hits like a truck and I overlooked a guard card held by another hero on the same space, that may have given us another option, went down failed a last stand at first go and despite managing as a team to put him down something else then happens which I naively didnít expect and so we ran out of time and the next shadow phase saw us retreat.

We arenít playing badly for beginners. Just a bit unlucky, and missing little points that maybe could turn the tide.

Edit: on also we had to draw another weakness at the start of the chapter so thatís probably another side effect of failing.

Edited by ChiefGB at 17:54:27 20-05-2020
  • Your-Mother 21 May 2020 00:23:49 4,057 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Red Storm arrived. I think it has about half a billion chits to punch out.
  • Your-Mother 21 May 2020 02:48:55 4,057 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Incidentally, GMT are close to shipping Imperial Struggle, the spiritual sequel to Twilight Struggle. Four odd years in the making.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-599-imperial-struggle.aspx
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 May 2020 10:35:18 32,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Red Storm arrived. I think it has about half a billion chits to punch out.
    Settle in for the long haul, Grem. It took me a good few days of reading and re-reading the rulebook to get a basic grasp of everything that is going on.

One top tip: There are two playthrough examples tucked away in the Appendices book, that I didn't discover until around 2 days in to smashing my head against the rules. Slapping counters on the map and physically running through both examples made it all a lot clearer.

The game is excellent now I'm up and running.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 May 2020 10:38:32 32,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I also ended up grabbing a pack of 6 small plastic jewellery boxes off amazon to sort the insane number of different types of counter.

Printed off these too, which saves having to root through the various charts for aircraft stats.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/193733/electric-joes-red-storm-aircraft-cards-v12
  • ChiefGB 21 May 2020 11:09:38 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I canít believe I threw out a box with adjustable compartments in, which would have been ideal for token organising just a day before my first foray.
    Iíve been kicking myself hard most days about it since 🙁
  • Bleh 21 May 2020 17:32:22 411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Ouch, it went that bad. I know what you mean with missing little things. We had the same problem but after a few games it gets better. Especially when you learn your character better.

O wow didn't know it could impact in that way. We never had to do draw a weakness card at the start of a chapter. They can be brutal.
  • ChiefGB 21 May 2020 17:41:07 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It really shouldnít have, but when your first last stand gives you 2 to pull and you pull with no inspirations, nor successes itís only going one way, total rug pull. But as I said if Iíd employed a guard card held elsewhere I may have been able to deflect that round. Where it would have gone from there who knows of course.

In other news IA should be here tomorrow, that looks far more tactical but dare I say drier as well. Still cool but I wouldnít be surprised if I end up enjoying my time with journeys a little more.

Edited by ChiefGB at 17:41:50 21-05-2020
  • Bleh 22 May 2020 09:34:34 411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sometimes when it goes bad it can go bad really fast. But it can turn pretty quickly as well. One time I started pretty poorly and got down pretty fast in a mission. Got some nasty weakness but a few rounds later I got rid of most and we continued with the mission if nothing happened. That was in a time when I sometimes forgot I could put back a success on top of the draw pile after a battle.

It seems like an easy game and rule wise it is but you need to keep track of things. Reading search tokens judging which character might be best for it. Knowing your card deck. A few times it was like should I try this search token or not. But having pulled almost all failures before you know that your success cards are still in the draw deck so it's a risk I could take. All these things with the narrative make it an engaging game.

I reckon you should see IA more as a tactical game and LOTR more as a story game. Both can be fun in their own way.
  • ChiefGB 22 May 2020 19:45:58 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah totally agree.

Today I received my imperial assault which Iím so glad to have got my hands on. Also agree with your comparison of the two.

We also played mission 3 in journeys (the wounded ranger one).
    We managed to win but it as close as we didnít realise you had to pass a tough test to remove the arrow first.
    Aragorn and beravor went down pulling aggro for legolas to slip by with the antidote.
    Both survived their last stands and beravor importantly did hers skipping away from a tough pack of orcs whilst holding the second retrieved antidote, dragging herself through and escaping onto the same square as legolas and the wounded ranger.
    Legolas managed to pass one final check to deal with the wound and then a second to deliver the antidote. The quest was completed and finally a victory was scored, securing the thankful rangers promised assistance going forward.

\o/
  • Gregolution 24 May 2020 11:32:26 9,976 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    4 player Eclipse. What Sundays are made for
  • ChiefGB 24 May 2020 11:52:58 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Gregolution have fun.
    Solo IA with the app today to get a taste of it, plus I can dig in when I feel the urge.
    Already have a friend eager to get in once the world gets closer to normal, so all being well I will get to try all different variants.
    Iíll run the imperials when the time comes and will hopefully have a handle on most of it by then.

Edited by ChiefGB at 11:53:45 24-05-2020
  • Bleh 24 May 2020 11:58:36 411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Nice finally a victory. It's fun seeing the impact on the next mission. Makes it feel like not only just static missions to play. If I'm not mistaken it's a nice boost you get from the rangers.
  • ChiefGB 24 May 2020 19:17:39 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Bleh hereís hoping.

So Iíve played through the IA app tutorials, so far so good.
    Taken on its separate parts, it seems much more straightforward than journeys with its constantly shifting skill set and more active objectives. Obviously the imperial play is something that really mixes it up from my bg experiences up to now and it will be good to get into that when Iím able to get a group together.

Given that itís only the tutorials Iíve played through itís early to say for sure but I think journeys is possibly my preferred of the two, even though thereís more rules etc to juggle It also seems more engaging.

Will have to see how it all progresses.

First mission down, I really enjoyed that. Played it right down to the wire and things got pretty tense towards the end but mission accomplished.

Edited by ChiefGB at 00:36:17 25-05-2020
  • Bleh 25 May 2020 11:10:44 411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB I've watched some video's when the app was released but never was really sure. Reading your comment I think I'm good not getting it. Not that it has to be bad but I already have some dungeon crawlers. Plus it has a huge amount of expansions.

But who knows maybe your continued tales will change my mind ;-)
  • ChiefGB 25 May 2020 13:04:47 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Bleh
    Oh the first mission was really engrossing. I wouldnít want to spoil it but the atmosphere was electric towards the end and the dice dynamic with all the layers from the different coloured die is interesting. Clearly ďStar WarsĒ elevates it in some respects but it was cool.
    The app appears to deliver a completely different campaign to the core box which is stuffed full of stuff anyway, so adding the skirmish it looks like a lot packed in with all the different ways to play.

Of course there are loads of different similar games out there that Iíve not experienced but it gets a thumbs up from me.

Check out the rolling soloís showcase on YouTube if you havenít and are still considering taking another look.

Edited by ChiefGB at 13:06:58 25-05-2020
  • Gregolution 25 May 2020 14:29:48 9,976 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

If you want star wars related money pits FFG has plenty to choose from.

Speaking of.... about to start a game of X Wing with my son right now 😁

Edited by Gregolution at 14:30:04 25-05-2020
  • ChiefGB 25 May 2020 14:54:30 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Gregolution Yeah I donít think I have space for the wargaming stuff, Iíll see how the skirmish goes to see if Iím ready for more larger scale things.

Iím turning full nerd slowly but surely, ordered a laser line pointer last week, just to make los quicker and easier to call, to keep things moving.
  • Gregolution 26 May 2020 14:06:37 9,976 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

Haha love it. X wing doesn't take up alot of space. It's only 20 quid for the core set to give it a try 😂

But I guess you need a mat too....

Then suddenly you spend thousands of pounds
  • kentmonkey 26 May 2020 15:12:12 23,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What brand would people recommend for sleeves?

I'm just about to embark on sleeving my Marvel champions. Partially because I want to protect the cards, but mostly because I'm getting into the custom content and I need to sleeve them for that. So something with an opaque back.

I've got some penny sleeves so definitely not those. They're way too slippery.

But bearing in mind I need to buy about 600 of them, if not more, and I don't have oodles of cash with Mrs Monkey furloughed.
  • Gregolution 26 May 2020 15:22:27 9,976 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey

I have 2000 ultra pro clear and another 2000 of mayday premium. Both are quite nice.
  • kentmonkey 26 May 2020 15:32:06 23,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution are the clears 'opaque' on the back or clear there as well?

I'll check out the Mayday Premiums. I've looked at the Ultra Pros and they seem decent for the price. Although still expensive.

I looked at eBay for a second hand collection of them but couldn't find anything.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 26 May 2020 15:35:16 32,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Don't become a sleeving deviant, kentmonkey. That is a dark path to go down.
  • kentmonkey 26 May 2020 15:40:35 23,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes ha. I know.

I'd already decided not to.

Then I saw the great custom content and realised the only way I could do it without telling the difference between the cards was to sleeve them. As my printer and cutting out abilities would not get anywhere near the official packs.
  • Your-Mother 26 May 2020 16:11:23 4,057 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I go back and forth on custom content. On one hand, yeah, itís often cool and adds stuff to the game that the publisher havenít gotten around to yet, but on the other hand itís often not playtested well and can have game breaking consequences, which ultimately defeats the point.
  • Gregolution 26 May 2020 17:34:51 9,976 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey completely clear both sides.
  • ChiefGB 26 May 2020 17:43:48 12,388 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Iím looking into sleeves, like many other things itís a bloody minefield and also potentially another money sink.
    Ffg are too expensive really, when you pay about 30% of the price of the games again to protect.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 26 May 2020 17:46:41 32,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Noooooooooo

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.