Following Boardgames anyone? Page 423

• Gregolution 28 May 2020 20:33:41 10,006 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yup
  • ChiefGB 28 May 2020 20:38:50 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nemesis:lockdown Kickstarter has gone live giving a great price in the previous stuff as well.

This hobby is starting to look really expensive.
  • Your-Mother 28 May 2020 21:07:14 4,294 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, trying to justify an all-in pledge to myself right now.
  • Tonka 28 May 2020 21:17:26 30,824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    Iíve also now added Scythe to my collection.
    That and Lord's of Waterdeep are two of my favorite games.
  • Your-Mother 28 May 2020 21:19:53 4,294 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Arenít they planning to do a tabletop rpg version of Scythe or did I dream that?
  • Slurmseh 28 May 2020 21:39:57 2,570 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka I have that too but donít think thereís a solo mode for it so will have to wait to play.
  • Grim 29 May 2020 09:31:31 97 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @Grim Top game. You'll be looking at everything else soon enough :p

I just need my damn trove loot box to fit everything in.
    Already peeking down that rabbithole..!!
  • ChiefGB 29 May 2020 10:09:30 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh my, itís a bit too expensive for me to consider.
    I see thereís a few reviews in youtube.......Iím steering clear 😔 no point adding a unobtainable hyper expensive game to ďthe listĒ

(It has enough of those on it already ☺️;)

Edited by ChiefGB at 10:20:10 29-05-2020
  • Slurmseh 29 May 2020 16:50:37 2,570 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well neither Scythe or Spirit Island have arrived today. Scythe hasnít even shipped despite being told I would receive it today. Dice and Decks have not left a good impression on me.

Did see The Dunwich Legacy is back in stock though. Tempting.
  • CrispyLog 29 May 2020 22:20:22 132 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If anyone is looking for a great 2 player game I heartily recommend War Chest. Think of cross between hive and chess, but you can only move a piece if you draw it's token, or you can use the token to attack, capture or use the unit's tactic. Very tactical with good balancing of working out what tokens your opponent has coming up, what you have in your bag and when to attack or capture.
  • Slurmseh 30 May 2020 09:56:46 2,570 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spirit Island arrived! Will dig in a little later once Iíve done a bit of work.
  • ChiefGB 30 May 2020 10:01:56 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sweet!! New box day is a glorious thing.
  • ChiefGB 30 May 2020 10:24:49 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watching a video review of this. Iím not sure itís for me/ready for it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 May 2020 11:46:35 32,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Elder Scrolls has shipped. Whoop.

Been looking forward to this one.
  • ChiefGB 30 May 2020 11:50:57 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is that the miniatures wargame?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 May 2020 12:11:55 32,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah. It has a fully co-op / solo campaign mode too though. Uses a finessed version of the Fallout Wasteland Warfare AI system, which was excellent.
  • ChiefGB 30 May 2020 14:14:24 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice, I guess miniatures warfare is a logical next step of some of the stuff Iím leaning towards, but I donít have the room for that. So Iím purposely staying away from Anything legion, armada, x wing et all.

Edited by ChiefGB at 14:15:41 30-05-2020
  • super_whiskey 30 May 2020 15:32:24 327 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My partner and I recently got Pandemic and Tiny Towns. We're loving both of them.

Pandemic we get to a point we think we're doing well and before we know it we've run out of player cards!

Tiny Towns the first time we played it we thought at the start "This is a bit boring, we're each doing the same thing" and then the gameplay opens itself up massively.

I also got given the Rickshank Redemption TCG a year or so ago and we thought we'd play it but it took us about half an hour just to get to a point where we were ready to play. The rulebook was very convoluted.
  • ChiefGB 30 May 2020 15:43:37 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Surely YouTube can help there.
    I tried pandemic on Xbox (appreciate its not quite the same) and couldnít get into even the tutorials so Iím feeling kind of cold towards it.
  • Your-Mother 30 May 2020 16:05:36 4,294 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Elder Scrolls has shipped. Whoop.

Been looking forward to this one.
    Iíve been tempted as the delve mode sounds interesting...buuuut Iíve literally only just received the Walking Dead all out war stuff so Iím absolutely stuffed to the brim with mini skirmish stuff.
  • BearFishPie 31 May 2020 14:21:59 806 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ChiefGB Pandemic has been our go-to co-op game for many years. The rule set isnít tremendously fiddly to get to grips with but any misunderstanding of the rules has the potential to break the experience, so yes a YouTube How to Play is probably the best way to get into it. Iíve got the app version but found it to be frustratingly awkward to get an idea of the game state by glancing at the screen, so either itís just not cut out for digital or Iím not.
  • super_whiskey 31 May 2020 15:08:00 327 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ChiefGB

Yeah we might give youtube a go at some point but given the other two games, we've got enough to keep us entertained!
  • ChiefGB 1 Jun 2020 17:15:43 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having the time of my fucking life with lotr journeys.
    Me and the wife have played 5 missions, winning just the once.
    Iíve started a solo game today with new heroes (possibly not the best pairing though of elenor and bilbo) and failed 2 on the bounce. Itís just very punishing with its damage/recovery mechanic. You can mitigate things a little bit but it seems to mount up.
    Itís a very enjoyable game but it feels a bit too unfair too me.

Meanwhile Iíve played 3 app missions on imperial assault and won all 3.

Proving hard to pin down exactly where itís going wrong.
  • Your-Mother 1 Jun 2020 17:25:16 4,294 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thereís a lot of rule quirks in JiME that arenít particularly well highlighted. Like how results stack. Legolasís great bow for example, two hits for one success, five hits for two successes. But it treats success like a consumable, so three successes equals seven hits. Also how abilities donít count as an action, which I keep forgetting.
  • ChiefGB 1 Jun 2020 18:30:42 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I think itís the more difficult of the two Iíve been playing. More rules, more abilities for all that are also rotating in and out of your hand.
    I almost always die from enemy damage.
    Case in point was earlier, got to the last space to complete the test in the first mission. However it starts ramping up the enemies towards the end (throwing 3 new groups on the board in one shadow phase etc). The maps arenít the largest and if they canít attack they can move around 4 spaces and pinned me in.
    Iím in the last space with two characters and to interact I have to provoke 4 groups to interact, funnily enough I managed it with bilbo but burnt though all but the last draw in my deck surviving by the skin of my teeth after second character went down trying to fight and reduce the numbers for bilbo. I pulled one success as no inspiration left which wasnít enough to pass my second test on the icon.
    Guess Iím finding it hard to pinpoint where Iím going wrong , what does seem consistent is running out of inspiration/successes in the end. Kind of ground down, Iíve tried different methods such as killing everything and running out of time. Killing less and eventually failing, or pegging it and doing my best to avoid 2/3rds of enemies.
    You can only push your luck so far.
  • Bleh 2 Jun 2020 13:00:48 418 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You sure you're not missing anything? A mistake we made in the beginning was that exploring would cost an action because it had an inspiration token on it, thinking a token cost an action. But exploration just happens when you move onto an unexplored tile.

I'm not exactly sure how dread is calculated again, I believe it counts dread tokens and enemies on the map and maybe some more. So don't explore too much at once and take out these things as they show up.

Not sure if Elenor is a ranged character but maybe Legolas makes it easier in combat. He can deal good damage over a distant. He even has some ability to shoot from even further.

Also take in account you can't do all the points of interest. You'll have to leave some behind.
  • ChiefGB 2 Jun 2020 15:12:33 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thereís still a rule or two that gets overlooked at times. Yesterday, on reflection I did use hide at least once and ďspent an actionĒ in the process thanks to getting a bit muddled between ia rules. Elenaís standard setup is dagger and harp (bilbo also carries a dagger) so my damage output is considerably down compared to OP legolas.

Itís rarely a whitewash, we know what we have to do and usually whereís it to be done, if not in the process of attempting it. Then either get ground down or run out of time.
    This time of course I may have a combo that just doesnít compliment each other, I thought my first team (Aragorn,legolas and beravor) were quite balanced but somethingís not gelling somewhere and itís got to be with how Iím approaching things. But when it piles enemies directly on your space that you canít really have planned for itís a little tough to take sometimes.
  • M0nkeyF1sh 2 Jun 2020 16:30:56 302 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I haven't played JiME since it was released so I gave it another go the other day. I'd forgotten how frustrating it can be when you constantly feel like you're running out of time. Exploring helps but some times the app adds four or five tiles in one explore, which is pretty depressing if you've managed to get the threat increase down to a manageable level.

Anyway, I noticed an adventure mode has been added. Apparently the threat increase is much slower and allows for more exploration. Anybody tried it?
  • ChiefGB 2 Jun 2020 16:45:40 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, I havenít but it seems to be a better fit for me maybe, I just like to play things the way they were designed (even if I canít seem to handle it lol)
    Yeah I believe it gives you all an inspiration each rally phase and doesnít count unexplored threat and tile tokens against threat during shadow phase.

Played the third mission earlier, and again completed it (just). Strange that twice this mission is the one that I have completed, but welcome none the less.

Edited by ChiefGB at 19:52:37 02-06-2020
  • Slurmseh 3 Jun 2020 10:06:46 2,570 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I will never use Dice & Decks again. Ordered from them last Thursday with next day delivery. They didnít dispatch my order until Monday, and the item still hasnít arrived.

Very poor experience.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.