Following Boardgames anyone? Page 429

• StarchildHypocrethes 21 Jun 2020 22:47:12 32,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Glad you're enjoying it. Yeah, the podcasts are excellent. They're basically audiobooks. The WW1 podcast he did came in at around 20 odd hours in total.

I think episode 2 of Supernova in the East also covers the Japanese invasion of China as well now I think about it.
  • Your-Mother 21 Jun 2020 22:53:28 4,294 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Assembling the Dragonborn miniature must rank around one of the more frustrating experiences of my life.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Jun 2020 23:07:06 32,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Haha, fuck me they are some annoying minis to put together arent they? It took me forever to put together the full 3 kits.

Considering the IP is likely to pull in a load of people for who this will their first experience of a hobby game, they managed to create the most needlessly fiddly minis possible.
  • Your-Mother 21 Jun 2020 23:47:57 4,294 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, Iíve assembled some resin minis before but these are my first plastic sprues since Warhammer 20 odd years ago. And I donít remember those being as much a pain in the ass. I did originally plan to paint and then assemble, but aside from the shields I donít think Iíll bother and just assemble then paint. These are also tiny tiny tiny miniatures compared to others Iíve encountered. Level of detail is great but think my painting skills wonít be good enough for that micro detail.

Edited by Your-Mother at 23:48:56 21-06-2020
  • Your-Mother 22 Jun 2020 02:25:01 4,294 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Welp, still got some detail work to do but itís turning out nicer than I thought I could manage at that size. Also gives me a valid excuse to test out snowy bases while keeping it thematically sound.

Also interesting that the model is a female Dragonborn. Wonder if thereíll be any outrage from neckbeards over that.

Edited by Your-Mother at 02:26:07 22-06-2020
  • Tonka 22 Jun 2020 07:23:36 30,824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    WTF is going on in the background? Looks like a football supporter attacking a granny.
  • Your-Mother 22 Jun 2020 08:32:18 4,294 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WIP Dale and random prisoner (Axel) from Walking Dead All Out War (another excellent solo/co-op friendly miniatures game).
  • FWB 22 Jun 2020 08:46:08 56,343 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    So, nemesis Lockdown........
    Iím gearing up for an all in move, which is a bit insane.

Also resi3 pledge manager has opened and those add ons are looking like fair value.

Decisions,decisions.
    Backed Lockdown, will probably get the Nemesis box too. Love Tainted Grail.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 22 Jun 2020 08:57:32 450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not quite RPG, but I bought my son Klask for his birthday yesterday and can't wait to whup his ass.

Also Crokinole! Would really love to give it a go but £200 is a bit steep for something I couldn't necessarily play that much!
  • FWB 22 Jun 2020 09:17:58 56,343 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anyone got Escape Plan btw?
  • Tonka 22 Jun 2020 10:23:27 30,824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I do. Only played it solo. It's quite interesting. I found it to be about escaping rather than collecting money (which, given the name, shouldn't be a surprise).

First time I played I was way too focused on getting money in order to have a high score, but movement restrictions cost me dearly.

So it's a game about planning how to move, by placing tiles and moving police, more than making sure you get to the big scoring stashes.
  • ChiefGB 22 Jun 2020 14:57:50 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yorkshire_Bourne wrote:
    Also Crokinole! Would really love to give it a go but £200 is a bit steep for something I couldn't necessarily play that much!
    Jesus you could knock one together in a shed. It reminds me of those crappy pachinko games youíd get at a local fete when I were a nipper.

If Iím thinking of the right thing.
  • ChiefGB 22 Jun 2020 15:05:25 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played a mp round of marvel champions on the ol tts, last night after having a solo dabble earlier.
    Enjoyed it much more second time around/mp.

TTS is an impressive piece of kit, in many ways more fiddly, but very versatile and it gets easier with practice (and incredible mod creators of course). Obviously space and setup/ tear down is a big win, but dragging stuff around is slower and less fun than pieces/cards in the hand.

Wonít replace physical but helps with the ďgotta catch em allĒ or out of print stuff.
  • Gregolution 22 Jun 2020 16:25:26 10,006 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Anyone got Escape Plan btw?
    Yeah I have it. It's quite good fun and not as complicated or long as the other Lacerda games. We've played it 4 player a few times and enjoyed it.
  • danathjo 23 Jun 2020 05:01:12 8,259 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I did have Escape Plan for a while but ultimately sold it. Enjoyed it but thought it was overly fiddly for such a simple game, plus most of my gaming is 2 player which this game definitely does not shine at.

Shame as I really wanted to love it, kept it a while to try the solo but again i've got plenty of dedicated solo games now so didn't see the sense of keeping it.
  • Gregolution 23 Jun 2020 11:17:19 10,006 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @danathjo yeah sounds fair. I prefer all the other Lacerda games I have, but this is the only one my 8 year old can play so it has a place for me.
  • Your-Mother 23 Jun 2020 15:37:20 4,294 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Uuirgh. Elder Scrolls is so so so good. Only problem is Iím now trying to justify spending $250 on resin scenery and a battlemat. The future plans for the game look incredible. Skyrim for the next year, then Oblivion and Morrowind following it. Lengthy campaign being built with persistence, including building up a town over time, gathering an army and going into a full blown war.
  • ChiefGB 23 Jun 2020 16:41:54 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iím not sure what I think of miniatures games. Never played one but at a glance I can appreciate the idea now more than before. Thing is do they need a lot of space as my kitchen table is only an average four seater. Not that I need anything else to be looking at.
  • Your-Mother 23 Jun 2020 17:03:25 4,294 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think I prefer tabletop miniatures to regular boardgames at the moment. Iíve been legit surprised at how good both Walking Dead and Elder Scrolls are. And tbh, Walking Dead at least doesnít require much table space, unless youíre doing a massive Warhammer style pvp game with loads of units. The main campaigns are on a standard 20x20 space with only a small handful of models.

Where it gets really space consuming (at least for storage) is when you get into scenery. Iíve seen people who have entire dining tables dedicated to permanent scenery for specific mini games. Itís nearly as much of a time and money sink as LCGs are.
  • ChiefGB 23 Jun 2020 17:33:24 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I imagine it can get out of hand, by 20x20 I assume that means inches?
  • Your-Mother 23 Jun 2020 17:46:12 4,294 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep.
  • ChiefGB 28 Jun 2020 14:20:38 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone in for jaws of the lion? Unsurprisingly itís creating some excitement and certainly seems an affordable entry point to the franchise.
    I canít quite find when itís being released, but itís obviously due. I wonder whether the us target exclusive is holding anything else up?
  • Nemesis 28 Jun 2020 17:26:22 19,711 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Anyone in for jaws of the lion? Unsurprisingly itís creating some excitement and certainly seems an affordable entry point to the franchise.
    I canít quite find when itís being released, but itís obviously due. I wonder whether the us target exclusive is holding anything else up?
    Yep; Iím not going to pre-order Iíll wait until itís in stock otherwise itíll turn up when Iím at work. Because thatís guaranteed to happen. Gloomhaven, but quicker to setup and play. New characters. Tutorial as you play. Yeah. It looks really good. Getting some really positive reviews, but my YouTube sub feed got swamped by it so I watched a couple of reviews and called it a day! I donít need to know everything.
  • McGeeza 28 Jun 2020 18:03:53 2,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Nemesis I think youíll be lucky to get a copy if you donít preorder it.
  • Kernowgaz 28 Jun 2020 19:00:04 51 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ChiefGB Itís out in August I think.
  • Kernowgaz 28 Jun 2020 19:00:05 51 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Nemesis 28 Jun 2020 22:28:23 19,711 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    @Nemesis I think youíll be lucky to get a copy if you donít preorder it.
    Thatís my worry. Oh sod it then Iíll get an order in.
  • ChiefGB 28 Jun 2020 22:46:26 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh me too then...it does look like a no brainier.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.