ChiefGB wrote:
    @Kernowgaz get back to bgg 🤣
    I just have 🤣🤣
  • f00b_inc 9 Sep 2020 21:57:22 886 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    f00b_inc wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Yeah had similar start with Aragorn, kept failing last stands. I went about one win in 5 but won all the next ones (still the last to go) so it will get easier. But it was a running joke that Aragorn was shit (heís not quite that bad).
    Haha the same comments on our table! Whilst Bilbo goes around shanking wargs Aragorn stumbles into a hole
    After a win on chapter 4 we are starting to lose faith in our dear Captain Aragorn after seeing him fail a last stand on turn two of chapter 5...

2 wins, 3 losses!
  • ChiefGB 9 Sep 2020 22:41:48 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trust me I had similar start although turn 2 seems awfully early, the tide does begin to turn. Or did for us. Youíve got to hold on to an inspiration almost all the time if you worried about his survivability. His banner can help generate and soon your gear will start upgrading which helps. You could try changing his class to guardian which would give you more defence cards which will trigger his banner more often and make him less squishy.
  • Kernowgaz 9 Sep 2020 23:02:31 151 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Along with Jaws of the Lion, Iíll have Shadowed Paths expansion tomorrow.

Luckily for me itís being delivered at my local drop off, the wife has already trained my 6 year old to say I order too many things.
  • Kernowgaz 11 Sep 2020 16:05:07 151 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Opened up Jaws of the Lion and itís still a decent sized box, but it actually isnít big enough really, the scenarioís, rules and glossary sit on the box instead of in it, the lid is about 12mm from reaching the bottom of the box.

Seems a lot of gaming for £40 though. Got an interview on Monday so need to prep for that and then Iíll hopefully play it in the evening.
  • ChiefGB 11 Sep 2020 19:16:14 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it seemed like great value, but I just couldnít wait any longer for my order. Iíll be digging into dinosaur island this w/e next week instead. If Iíd waited I wouldnít have had mc to play this week and Iíve really enjoyed that.

Shadowed paths arrive too? I think Iíll pick up the figure pack first to make the most out of it all. Iíve still ember crown to play through anyway although the new hero options would be nice.
  • Kernowgaz 11 Sep 2020 22:19:40 151 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB

Yeah, the box is about half the height as well.

Looking forward to JOTL though, Iíve worked all the way thru lock down and havenít played many board games. Iíve been working from home with this staring at me

https://i.imgur.com/KLQ2v8F.jpg
  • Kernowgaz 11 Sep 2020 22:21:54 151 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    @ChiefGB

Yeah, the box is about half the height as well.

Looking forward to JOTL though, Iíve worked all the way thru lock down and havenít played many board games. Ive got every MC expansion and havenít played them all, bought them because I know how bad FFG are for supporting their LCGís.

Iíve been working from home with this staring at me

https://i.imgur.com/KLQ2v8F.jpg
  • Kernowgaz 11 Sep 2020 22:22:36 151 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought I edited then but mustíve quoted myself 🤣
  • Your-Mother 11 Sep 2020 23:21:47 6,256 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Howís City of Kings? I have it unopened on the shelf, ended up with it cheap but was debating just selling it on for cost.
  • ChiefGB 12 Sep 2020 00:05:11 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some nice stuff in there. Been looking around 7th continent but I think Iíll check out the Kickstarter for the sequel due at the end of the month.
  • Your-Mother 12 Sep 2020 00:09:04 6,256 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Incidentally it looks like the classic Hero Quest is getting a reboot: https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us
  • ChiefGB 12 Sep 2020 00:12:38 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Opened up dinosaur island tonight, itís heavy as a mofo and totally rammed. No fucking idea how it will all fit after punching and my tables going to meet its match in containing it all for just 2 players. But it all looks pretty neat. Wondered if Iíd feel funny swapping it out for jaws when that came along but Iím ok with it actually I just wasnít blown away by big gloom on tts when I expected to be.
    Physical always more tactile though so wanted to give jaws a go, I may well go back at a quiet time if such a thing exists.
  • ChiefGB 12 Sep 2020 00:18:31 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, also in other news, someone on bgg has a spare set of dice for big trouble they are going to send me so that looks like it will sort itself out, just as Iíd given up all hope. Itís an xmas pressie so at least when the time comes it will be table ready, whoop!!
    Props to mum too for sorting me out with the extra. Still touched by that gesture to help a brother out.
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2020 09:09:17 31,569 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Your mom is your brother?
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2020 09:13:16 25,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not the biggest fan of Dinosaur Island. I don't think it's particularly well balanced.
  • ChiefGB 12 Sep 2020 09:44:45 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Your mom is your brother?
    Lol, guess so
  • ChiefGB 12 Sep 2020 09:52:37 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mola_Ram oh, it does look busy. Is it to do with the drawing? Thereís a large amount of tiles and obviously they come out random. Thereís certainly plenty of random in it I guess with the dice and visitor draw too.
    Well maybe thatís why dinosaur world is on the horizon.
    Itís something my wife will play with me anyway and appeals to us both. Weíll see how we get on
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2020 10:05:30 25,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ChiefGB my main issue is that there is a huge inventive to just forget about victory points from visitors and make your parks as dangerous as possible, with T-Rexes and the like. You get loads and loads of money to spend on stuff, and all your visitors dying is more than offset by the VP you make elsewhere.

It's actually pretty funny being an asshole park owner, but it feels like it shouldn't be quite so easy.
  • ChiefGB 12 Sep 2020 11:18:11 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lol nice and thematic with chaos theory then 🤣🤣
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2020 11:27:48 25,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem is that the person with the fewest victory points goes first, and they get first pick at stuff in the next round.

So there's this perverse race to the bottom inventive, to get the biggest number of visitors to your park without worrying about whether they'll survive or not. It feels wrong, and I don't think the developers intended it to be that way.
  • ChiefGB 12 Sep 2020 13:56:51 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But you can go into negative points from eaten patrons. Does this not counteract this ďstrategyĒ?
  • DFawkes 12 Sep 2020 14:17:15 32,750 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They only added the clarification that you could go negative in later versions of the rules. If Mola played an early edition that may not have been the case, especially when the most official word at the time was "don't worry, you are unlikely to win if you stay at zero".
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2020 15:00:28 25,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    But you can go into negative points from eaten patrons. Does this not counteract this ďstrategyĒ?
    No, you can't go into negative victory points.

That's the fucked thing, you basically bottom out and ride it until the end, when you collect all the bonus points from large dinosaurs and attractions and stuff. Even if not a single soul has made it through your park alive.
  • Your-Mother 12 Sep 2020 16:36:15 6,256 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What Dfawkes said. Negative points are in later printings of the rulebook and online errata.
  • ChiefGB 12 Sep 2020 23:08:16 13,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, mine is the 2.0 rule book so guess thatís why that was added then. Whether itís enough to undo that or not I donít know but I wonít be aiming to play it that way if it breaks it.
    I popped it all out earlier and managed to squeeze it all back in. On a side note I put on the Star Wars holiday special as Iíve never watched it at the same time. Oh my fucking god itís even worse than anyone could imagine. Was disappointed when I ran out of things to pop out as I had to actually watch it then 🤣🤣

Also this evening finished off my Jime campaign with the wife. We lost but pushed it to the end, but it got too punishing and 2 of us went down In a round. Took us around 4 hours as well.
  • Zomoniac 12 Sep 2020 23:14:02 10,377 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Opened up dinosaur island tonight, itís heavy as a mofo and totally rammed. No fucking idea how it will all fit after punching and my tables going to meet its match in containing it all for just 2 players. But it all looks pretty neat. Wondered if Iíd feel funny swapping it out for jaws when that came along but Iím ok with it actually I just wasnít blown away by big gloom on tts when I expected to be.
    Physical always more tactile though so wanted to give jaws a go, I may well go back at a quiet time if such a thing exists.
    Dinosaur Island does not fit back in the box. Physical impossibility.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 12 Sep 2020 23:20:34 33,543 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pfft. Amateurs.

I've got Dinosaur Island and the Totally Liquid Expansion all packed in the base game box.

Behold my l33t tetris skillz!
  • Your-Mother 12 Sep 2020 23:28:07 6,256 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    -insert comment about FFG boxes here-
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.