Boardgames anyone? Page 446

• ChiefGB 13 Sep 2020 00:15:18 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Zomoniac it totally does, and with the insert still in. What can I say, Iíve got skills.
  • Your-Mother 13 Sep 2020 00:38:44 6,218 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You need to clarify though - is it back in the box, or is it back in the box organized? Itís worth having lid lift if it dramatically reduces setup time.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Sep 2020 09:46:44 25,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    What Dfawkes said. Negative points are in later printings of the rulebook and online errata.
    Ah right. Well, that's a lot better then.
  • ChiefGB 13 Sep 2020 09:58:35 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Your-Mother itís in the box, organised-ish, with no lid lift. I have the cards in two baggies, one sat upright in the meeples tray On its side, one in the main trough. Then I have The tiles all stacked in the trough too, In their piles, neatly spread to not spill over the line the player tiles sit on, have the money in one baggy and all the player icons and other punched bits in another as flat as can be one in the trough and the smaller one either in there or also in the meeple part. Boards and tiles sit where they should and the instructions then finally the draw bag rested on top. Lid on, no lift.
  • ChiefGB 13 Sep 2020 10:03:25 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One small disclaimer, I donít have the silly blanks in there although as they only a few I probably could have squeezed them but nothing else. The cards Iíve split into the ones I will use for fi4st game so two player short/medium then the other baggy is long (may not play that often and solo) so they are kind of organised too. Itís tight but totally in and safe.
  • Slurmseh 13 Sep 2020 20:43:56 2,761 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finally beat Rhino on standard with Spider-Man!

Iím liking how quick MC is to get hp and running.
  • kentmonkey 14 Sep 2020 08:31:56 24,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Slurmseh if you're playing one handed solo Rhino, the only way to beat him is to rush him. His scheme requires the least amount, and even one turn in alter ego can mean you scheme out.

Two handed solo is a lot more interesting, and balanced. Takes longer, but provides a less swing experience. Rhino two handed is such a different match up.

Spiderman is now a beast. He was probably 3rd of the core set heroes when released but the recent cards have made him an absolute joy and a monster to play as. He's my favourite character in the game now, either in aggression or, my favourite, protection.
  • Slurmseh 14 Sep 2020 11:13:14 2,761 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah I was playing solo and just beat him down as quick as possible and focussed on getting allies on the board.

Ill try playing two handed with captain marvel and see how I get on.
  • ChiefGB 14 Sep 2020 11:23:52 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just discovered blitz bowl (as Iíve always had a strong curiosity for blood bowl). Season 2 is out but neither s1 or presumably this is available in the uk. Wtf is this shit. Game looks fun as well, I know new bb is out this year but thatís much more of an investment.

/sad panda
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Sep 2020 17:08:38 33,537 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just got Jaws of the Lion. This guy loves a weird shaped box doesnt he?

Where the hell am I supposed to put this without it ruining my beautiful shelf aesthetics?
  • Nemesis 14 Sep 2020 18:38:09 19,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Stand it up on the top of the Kallax!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Sep 2020 23:28:39 33,537 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jesus, at 35 odd quid, Jaws of the Lion sets a bit of a new standard for value for money in board gaming. It's stuffed. Well impressed.
  • Your-Mother 14 Sep 2020 23:31:56 6,218 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, itís insane. I saw a bunch of posts from people like ďugh, standees, why couldnít they do minis for all enemiesĒ. I mean, if you wanted it to cost five times as much and have a bigger box than the original game, sure.
  • Your-Mother 14 Sep 2020 23:32:56 6,218 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also, Gloomhaven Helper app recommended if you werenít using it already. Cuts setup and upkeep tenfold.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Sep 2020 23:57:01 33,537 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yep, got that downloaded, cheers.

Looking forward to getting stuck into this.
  • Your-Mother 15 Sep 2020 22:37:13 6,218 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For anyone who owns Fallout Wasteland Warfare and the RPG add-on, Modiphius have started putting out solo choose-your-own-adventure style campaigns with AI battles cropping up as encounters. Looks pretty well thought out.

https://www.modiphius.net/blogs/news/the-unexpected-shepherd-solo-roleplaying-in-the-wasteland-introduction
  • Tonka 16 Sep 2020 10:45:40 31,562 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Just got Jaws of the Lion. This guy loves a weird shaped box doesnt he?

Where the hell am I supposed to put this without it ruining my beautiful shelf aesthetics?
    Hehehehe, boardgaming has so many interesting sub hobbies. I have my "Shelf of pretentiousness" where I put my fancy games. The rest go in a cupbard. I'd LOVE to be able to put Nemo's War with my fancy games, but the box is too big.

I've given serious thought to starting a "Small Box" side hustle, where I make pretty boxes with smaller footprint for games
  • ChiefGB 16 Sep 2020 14:37:44 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dice forge going cheap on amazon £21.43 my wife picked up a copy as it looks like a Beautiful, fun, light game, itís due on Friday.also my cheap Arkham horror lcg from squizzos deal from the other week is coming tomorrow.
    This is all getting out of hand 🤣 And another money pit, like I need it. Due to play dinosaur island today as well.
  • DFawkes 16 Sep 2020 15:24:33 32,747 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dice Forge is decent, it's a bit luck based but the idea is you're building your dice so the odds are better as you play. It's deeper than it initially looks too, though still relatively light. Easily worth £21.43.
  • Gregolution 16 Sep 2020 16:06:48 10,704 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played Glen More 2 yesterday. First time I meet up with gaming group in ages. Really quite enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about it, very easy to learn - decent light / medium game.

Also played Gaia but I was teaching. It's both a bit painful to teach and very easy to win against new players.
  • ChiefGB 16 Sep 2020 18:16:58 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played dinosaur island, it was a strange one. Firstly I lost, comprehensively, so it would seem. Played a medium length game but it only took us 2 hours (didnít feel like that). The objectives landed fairly quick (after 4-5 rounds) so that was that. I was on catch up from round one but the objectives sealed it really. The wife played me like a fiddle lol.
    It just kind of ended, as I donít think I had quite got my head into the objectives. So, hard to say what I thought of it just yet.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Sep 2020 19:05:11 33,537 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I am *this* close to blasting 100 earth pounds on Stellar Horizons. Do I have the common sense not to? Probably not. It looks cool.
    Common sense didn't last long.
  • rice_sandwich 16 Sep 2020 19:09:13 6,666 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Gregolution

GM2 is pretty good. An expansion with a single player mode and extra scenarios finished its kickstarter a few days ago. I didn't back it as it should arrive in retail around about the same time. Retail often seems to be cheaper too.
  • Tonka 17 Sep 2020 05:18:45 31,562 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes
    Someone's I think that it's better to just buy the game/back the Kickstarter as soon as it tickles your fancy.

Anything else is just prolonging the suffering. I'm still pining for a copy of Millennium Blades and it's been years since I (wisely) decided it would hardly ever get played. But every once in a while I track down a copy and hover over the buy button.

Stellar horizons look rather cool as well. I can see why you gave in.
  • Bleh 17 Sep 2020 08:44:10 440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Talking about kickstarter I'm gonna do some shameless promotion :p. Firstly I think they need it and for me this is what kickstarter is about, helping an indie dev getting it's ideas realized. Plus I really like to hold it in my hands :p.

So check out Forgotten Depth
  • ChiefGB 17 Sep 2020 10:11:44 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Postage is almost as much as the game again........but looks intriguing at a glance. It has 28 days to go so no reason to panic just yet about reaching its goal...
  • Slurmseh 17 Sep 2020 12:11:08 2,761 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So Iíve invested in some dragon shields for my Marvel champions set. Only got enough to sleeve the core box will need to buy more for the red skull expansion.

This is now making me want to sleeve my AH stuff as well...

Bloody money sink, this hobby!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 17 Sep 2020 12:13:08 33,537 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh no, another deviant.
  • ChiefGB 17 Sep 2020 12:14:01 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Arkham is finally here, from squizzas who, for all their great prices in the recent promotion donít seem to understand how to pack and protect a cardboard box of joy. Just in a grey wrapped bag like a cardigan from the freemanís catalogue.
    Result: most corners bashed, A few gouges down the side and a big dent in the back corner.

Still it was cheaper than anywhere else, and it will still play just fine....but those dings will reach into my very soul everytime I reach for the box 🤣🤣

In other vaguely related news, I started Lovecraft country last night, which is a great warm up. It really goes places and so I hear does this game. Iíve never been a Lovecraft fiend per say, but weíll see.

Edited by ChiefGB at 12:17:53 17-09-2020
  • ChiefGB 17 Sep 2020 12:18:57 13,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Slurmseh yes sir, I do keep thinking about it but it will get out of hand.

Just ban cheetos at the table 🤣🤣
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.