Following Boardgames anyone? Page 447

• Bleh 17 Sep 2020 12:21:52 432 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Yeah I know what you mean with the shipping cost. I'm in a bit of a mixed bag for this one. If I don't look at the game price and reckon the weight and taxes it feels reasonable. But than again for a cheaper game it makes it feel a bit wonky.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 17 Sep 2020 12:25:46 33,272 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stellar Horizons just turned up.

It weighs a tonne. Opened up to find 26 (26!?) thick cardboard sheets to punch out and organise. That must be an entire tree.

Its like Gloomhaven all over again.
  • Slurmseh 17 Sep 2020 12:30:33 2,614 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gloomhaven took me an entire evening just to punch.

Iíve played it once and didnít get further than the first scenario!
  • ChiefGB 17 Sep 2020 13:25:19 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:

It weighs a tonne. Opened up to find 26 (26!?) thick cardboard sheets to punch out and organise. That must be an entire tree.

Its like Gloomhaven all over again.
    Oh wow, game looked interesting but expensive and likely not going to be able to get many to play it. And maybe just a bit too big. Love to take a look though so good luck.
  • Slurmseh 17 Sep 2020 17:59:17 2,614 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tried MC two handed just now. Spidery and Cpt Marvel. Made short work of Rhino.

Time to try Klaw I think
  • ChiefGB 17 Sep 2020 18:05:35 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah you can tell heís a little step up but ok, think it took me a Redo to beat as iron man.
  • kentmonkey 17 Sep 2020 18:26:47 23,845 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    Tried MC two handed just now. Spidery and Cpt Marvel. Made short work of Rhino.

Time to try Klaw I think
    Klaw on Expert is a brilliant game. Really interesting game with most characters, and puts up a real challenge. Plays differently most games as well.

Ultron, on the other hand, can be quite frustrating and boring. The whole drone minion thing gets a bit much and tiresome after a while.

Rhino Expert, especially with some other minions thrown in (like creating a sinister six deck) is also a decent challenge. Can threat out really quickly, and the expert cards really do massive boost damage.
  • Slurmseh 17 Sep 2020 19:56:51 2,614 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Klaw went down first time! Think I got lucky. He never even got a chance to put threat on his second scheme

I definitely think watching Daleís YouTube videos has helped me get a good idea for strategy in this game.

Edited by Slurmseh at 19:57:17 17-09-2020
  • Gregolution 17 Sep 2020 20:36:18 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Yeah I agree, although I quite like Ultron expert against Thor - 7 cards every turn with Asgard out :D.

Klaw is the most interesting and tough boss in the core set.

Green Goblin is great outside the core set.

I'm yet to play any of Red Skull on expert, been a bit busy lately.
  • ChiefGB 17 Sep 2020 20:52:10 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scenario one down in Arkham. Itís not really all that long and Iíve played it on tts once anyway before. Was a bit smoother this time though. Fairly large encounter deck but missed most of it.
    Looking forward to what comes next though, guess theyíve got me havenít they........
  • Gregolution 17 Sep 2020 21:05:50 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB WAHEY!!

Is this the LCG I hope? Good stuff mate, love that game. Unfortunately gets better the more you spend..... muhahahaha
  • Your-Mother 17 Sep 2020 22:34:25 4,970 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tried to get the official Ronan The Accuser print and play module for MC done by a professional company, they told me to get stuffed as itís copyrighted. Showing them that it was freely released by the publisher didnít sway their mind. Bah.
  • ChiefGB 17 Sep 2020 23:05:51 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was under the impression it would be in the upcoming guardians set as it mentions Ronan in a blurb I saw. But apparently not which is a tad gutting. I guess heís just a minion instead.
  • kentmonkey 17 Sep 2020 23:16:15 23,845 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Slurmseh are you playing Klaw on Expert or Standard?

Klaw standard is pretty easy - manageable. Klaw expert.... Less so.

Easy mistake to make as well so just checking... Are you checking the back of each of the villains main scheme stages to ensure you're adding the additional cards you're meant to?

Starting on stage 2 in expert, having to reveal Immovable Klaw and Defense Network schemes before you even start is pretty brutal.
  • ChiefGB 17 Sep 2020 23:16:34 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Gregolution yes sir, another rabbit hole Iím peeking in.
    Iíve been observing from afar. In what appears to be classic ff style miskatonic seems all but impossible to find out in the wild so Iíll hit an early snag.
    Still seems a bit tough to swallow that the packs youíll only really experience properly once. Seems a bit more value in the marvel sets from what I can assume but narrative and the campaign style is important too.
  • Tonka 18 Sep 2020 05:34:34 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago

That was quick, I thought it was a Kickstarter. My new challenge is to not buy or back any Gabe's until my three outstanding Kickstarters arrive.

Sleeping Gods
    Oath
    The Dead Eye

The way things are going, Capstone will probably launch the pre order for Iberian Gauge before those have come in, so my challenge is done to fail.
  • Gregolution 18 Sep 2020 06:33:24 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Your-Mother

Don't know if you saw but they just changed the wording on that print and play to state not for resale about two weeks ago so lots of Etsy printers stopped doing it
  • Gregolution 18 Sep 2020 06:36:28 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

They're alot more repayable than you think actually. Setup can be very randomised and with multiple outcomes it's interesting to play each several times. It's a very tactical game, often dismissed as just story telling
  • PrivateFloyd 18 Sep 2020 07:17:16 5,330 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Your-Mother I had a someone in the UK print mine, only difference was the Marvel text on the back of the card was replaced with PROMO instead.
  • kentmonkey 18 Sep 2020 09:36:41 23,845 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can just print them yourselves on paper, and sleeve them with another villain card to act as the back.

That works really well. If you cut them ever so slightly smaller, you can't tell from the back.

Obviously not quite as good quality but, I don't too long looking at the card. I'm usually burying my head in my hand as I draw advance at the worst possible time.
  • ChiefGB 18 Sep 2020 11:32:40 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @ChiefGB

They're alot more repayable than you think actually. Setup can be very randomised and with multiple outcomes it's interesting to play each several times. It's a very tactical game, often dismissed as just story telling
    Oh yeah I can feel thereís challenge there, even from a small taste, but you are also at the mercy of your deck at times. Very unpredictable and possibly rather swingy at the best or worst of times.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Sep 2020 11:35:31 33,272 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

That was quick, I thought it was a Kickstarter. My new challenge is to not buy or back any Gabe's until my three outstanding Kickstarters arrive.
    Managed to grab a retail copy for £100 with free next day delivery. In your face Kickstarter.
  • danathjo 18 Sep 2020 15:52:21 8,291 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So does anyone have negative feedback from Gloomhaven JotL? Trying to talk myself out of it as I have so many games I need/want to play but I keep getting sucked in!
  • ChiefGB 18 Sep 2020 18:40:14 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok so Arkham has just kicked my arse for the final two scenarios of the base campaign, it really does feel rather swingy, you can get buried under the wrong encounter cards stacking up in conjunction with doom/clue triggers.
    Had to resign those two scenarios.
    Feeling a bit battered tbh.
  • Your-Mother 18 Sep 2020 19:42:20 4,970 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Get used to it. Many of AHís scenarios will be nearly impossible on your first tries. Itís a fail forward game for sure, and thereís no shame in taking the chaos bag down to easy. But then when you get the intricacies down, deckbuilding comes into its own on repeat plays and you learn what the valuable upgrade cards are, priming you for future 1st plays of cycles.
  • Tonka 18 Sep 2020 23:06:01 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another game night with the group! Root and Northern Pacific.

Great games, so much fun. The cats won and I figured u up a time for the woodland AGAIN....

next time.

Northern Pacific is an amazing game to close with. Genuine laughs a plenty.
  • Gregolution 19 Sep 2020 09:38:11 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

There's so much you can do to control the chaos bag, you need to learn to play together. Don't separate investigators unless you really need to. Always have cards to put into tests, think long and hard about every test - calculate what you need to put in to make it a single fail on tentacles only or remove the majority of the negatives and leave only -4 or worse etc.

Also learn to play your characters stats. Make sure the right person is doing each job and if you have a low willpower character, make sure someone is with him to help out in mythos phase or give him plenty of cards in his deck to handle nasty tests (ward of protection etc).

Also being able to resign is a great thing, it's part of the game. Not building up too much trauma and getting as much xp as you can will let you win the game. It's about beating the final scenario, not the first one. Although continually failing will make it next to impossible.

When I first started playing the game I thought it was highly random, then something clicked and I tried to optimise every single turn we had - probably influenced by all the euros I was discovering at the time! Game changed completely.
  • Gregolution 19 Sep 2020 09:40:05 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

you're also going to find the game much harder with just a core set. Inconsistent decks with singles and not enough card pool to make strong decks really. With 2 cores and the whole of Dunwich, it becomes a lot less random feeling.

Core is fun to get a taste for what the game is but it's bloody hard and fairly random
  • garsync 19 Sep 2020 10:06:33 253 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @ChiefGB

you're also going to find the game much harder with just a core set. Inconsistent decks with singles and not enough card pool to make strong decks really. With 2 cores and the whole of Dunwich, it becomes a lot less random feeling.

Core is fun to get a taste for what the game is but it's bloody hard and fairly random
    Is the second core box vital? I have got the whole of Dunwich that I can now start, only ever going to play it two handed. Thought the second core was to support 4 players/investigator combos?
  • ChiefGB 19 Sep 2020 10:43:20 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was playing it single investigator, thought it was balanced for solo play? Maybe not.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.