Following Boardgames anyone? Page 448

• Slurmseh 19 Sep 2020 11:36:10 2,614 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Most people seem to prefer AH two handed. Havenít tried it that way myself.
  • ChiefGB 19 Sep 2020 11:53:52 12,832 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well going on my experience I need to mix it up, which is fine, it gives me another angle to try. Not in a place where Iíd feel happy piling money into it just yet though. Iíll try easy 2 handed next.
  • Your-Mother 19 Sep 2020 15:09:45 4,970 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah two hand it for now. True Solo is for when you really know what youíre doing. Some scenarios might be close to impossible with certain investigators solo (like ones where you have to take intellect tests with no boosts allowed), so you really have to know the decks inside and out and work to cover the investigator weaknesses.
  • Your-Mother 19 Sep 2020 15:11:59 4,970 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also, as theyíre cheap, grab a couple of the starter investigator decks as theyíre far superior to anything you get in the core box, and can ease you more into deckbuilding. The starter recommendations in the core box are, frankly, garbage.
  • Slurmseh 19 Sep 2020 16:50:09 2,614 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What AH decks would you recommend?
  • Your-Mother 19 Sep 2020 21:13:09 4,970 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like Stella and Nathaniel from the new decks.

Also picked up Barkham today. Should be fun.
  • ChiefGB 19 Sep 2020 23:04:51 12,832 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Went back to marvel earlier, tried out she-hulk vs klaw. It was slow torture, could really handle the thwart all that well apart from when I drew her legal practice card, beyond that there were a ton of minions pulled plus nemesis And scheme, so in the end he managed to top his scheme. I held out beyond both decks refreshing but Couldnít quite get hold of him.
    Will try again and go on the offence earlier if possible.

Also got dice forge to the table, nice little game and great production values. Somehow managed to draw with the wife, literally 143 points each. Oh well, next time maybe.
  • Tonka 20 Sep 2020 11:09:39 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can't stop thinking about Root, really itching to play again, but I great the others aren't as enthusiastic.

The guy who've played the Eyrie had been making a mess of it, constantly being thrown into turmoil. The guy playing the vagabond doesn't seem to have a good time due to the vagabond being a silly faction. The Marquise should be pleased though because he cleared house last time. He played a strong game and everyone else was singing around like noobs.

I've finally come to grips with t the rules for the woodland alliance and I now have a clear strategy for what I want to do. Ideally I would have the Eyrie player and the vagabond swap, thereby getting a stronger Eyrie (hopefully) to beat on the cats while I build up my support...

Edited by Tonka at 11:10:30 20-09-2020
  • Gregolution 20 Sep 2020 13:02:21 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka I love the woodland alliance. I always play them. I really should try some of the others - haven't tried anything other than the base 4 but I have all expansions.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Sep 2020 13:26:10 24,586 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just played two games of it on the digital version (which is a really, really good port). I played Vagabond first time, and would have won if the Cat player hadn't managed to get a Dominance victory.

Played as the Birds the second time, and lost again against the Alliance. The Birds are definitely the easiest faction to screw up (on account of the Decree), but if you can manage that they can potentially make stupid numbers of points a turn.
  • ChiefGB 20 Sep 2020 14:00:03 12,832 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah maybe I should try the digital one as getting enough players just isnít going to happen for real.
  • Tonka 20 Sep 2020 15:24:03 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Gregolution I'm tempted to get an expansion just so I don't have to make anyone pay the vagabond. It just seems so dull since it's only the one character.

I made a really bad rules goof with the woodland alliance, I removed the sympathy token when I made a revolt, and then I thought a clearing couldn't have a sympathy token and a base at the same time.

Crafting and scoring was not happening for me. But next time... Next time I'll crush those cats.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Sep 2020 15:37:17 24,586 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol, you really don't like the Vagabond do you. First you're complaining that he's overpowered, then you complain that he's dull! :p

To me it's the most interesting faction. He's kind of like the Clint Eastwood character in Fistful of Dollars, coming into town, making alliances as it suits him.

Though tbf it's less fun as Vagabond if nobody at the table trusts you. I had trouble making alliances in my recent game, because nobody was really crafting stuff for me to take.

But overall I really like the dynamic that the Alliance and Vagabond bring to the game. It brings the Cats and Birds into a sort of uneasy truce, in that they need each other to keep the upstarts in their place.
  • ChiefGB 20 Sep 2020 18:00:01 12,832 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok she hulk dismantled klaw at the third time of asking. Iím a little bit intimidated by ultron tbh from what I hear. Maybe Iíll go back to rhino on expert next. Not really feeling she hulk tbh, she doesnít even seem to smash all that much and thwart only seems to come in bursts (even when preparing her mental boost upgrade card) which is risky.

Maybe itís more that klaw can be unpredictable, or a bit of both idk.

Edited by ChiefGB at 18:01:58 20-09-2020
  • kentmonkey 20 Sep 2020 19:42:53 23,845 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ChiefGB you need to be constantly flipping she Hulk (that two damage when flipping is useful) and always, always play on the edge for a Gamma Slam. I try to get into the villain phase each time with no more than 5 health left, until it draws.
  • kentmonkey 20 Sep 2020 19:43:26 23,845 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And get endurance on her so she can go up to 18 and maybe even 2-3 honorary avengers so you can hit for 20.
  • ChiefGB 20 Sep 2020 19:45:37 12,832 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Iíve missed that a few times tbf and the reverse action. Gamma slam Iíve not quite managed to trigger but can see it can be V powerful.
    Guess 3 games isnít really a lot of time to get a proper feel. But she didnít feel as fun to play as Iíd hoped. Klaw could be having something to do with that.

Edited by ChiefGB at 20:00:45 20-09-2020
  • ChiefGB 20 Sep 2020 20:07:12 12,832 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    And get endurance on her so she can go up to 18 and maybe even 2-3 honorary avengers so you can hit for 20.
    Oh didnít see the endurance one, clearly have much to learn plus only playing on core cards. Thanks for the advice.
  • kentmonkey 20 Sep 2020 20:28:24 23,845 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ChiefGB no worries

I've played A LOT of this game. And I'm still learning things. It's great.

She Hulk is a beast if you can play to her style. I do airways seem to get a nice draw for Gamma Slam though. Highest I've ever hit for is 17. One day, one day the almighty 20 will arrive! 😀

(She shits all over Hulk in this game as well. From a very great height).
  • Slurmseh 20 Sep 2020 21:03:14 2,614 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Isnít gamma slam limited to 15 max?
  • Your-Mother 20 Sep 2020 21:16:47 4,970 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Iím guessing he followed it up with a regular attack, so 17 in a round rather than 17 for the card effect.
  • kentmonkey 20 Sep 2020 21:36:06 23,845 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah I think the highest you can get in a round is 20 with she Hulk and the other cards.

So 15 with gamma slam (which is why I try to keep her around 5 health, higher if I've got the upgrades on her), take a hit, and then smash.

Only way you can get the high though is to start the round on alter ego with gamma slam in your hand. Flip (does 2), attack for 3 (with a combat training) and gamma slam for 15.

Not sure you can get higher. Not with the cards I've played yet anyway.
  • Your-Mother 20 Sep 2020 21:48:52 4,970 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or that!

Highest damage Iíve ever done in a single round was... 33 I think? Two handed solo with Hulk and Thor and some very very lucky card draws. I donít often play true solo.
  • kentmonkey 20 Sep 2020 21:49:24 23,845 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Actually you could do 25 with an uppercut in hand as well with a quincarrier, helicarrier and avengers mansion in play.

But at that point She Hulk is clicking her glittery heels three times and gamma slamming her way back to Kansas.
  • Tonka 21 Sep 2020 05:39:19 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Mola_Ram hmmmm... I honestly think that me thinking of the vagabond as a Clint eastwood character will enable me to make peace with the faction. It fits in with the story so much better.

I like your take on how the power balance needs a slippery faction too. One thing the birds managed to do this time, was to lock the vagabond a couple of times. We were all very careful not to craft anything too useful for the vagabond as well. Up until the end when the cat started crafting the high VP items. The cats got 8 and then 11 VP on his last two turns.
  • ChiefGB 22 Sep 2020 18:55:30 12,832 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like itís silly evening on ks, 7th continent going through the roof, dinosaur world also flying high and the thing. Have eyes on them all but the 4 player count for the thing puts it out for me, which is a shame as I fucking love that movie, and missed out on the previous outpost game.
    Itís a great theme for a board game.
  • Gregolution 22 Sep 2020 19:18:10 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka Vagabond is great, you're nuts. Also does wonders for table bantz.
  • Gregolution 22 Sep 2020 19:18:31 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

7th Citadel? just backed it myself :)
  • ChiefGB 22 Sep 2020 20:52:59 12,832 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes sorry meant citadel, looks like good value. I wondered if theyíd take the piss a little after the success of continent.
    I held off that hearing this was around the corner.
  • Slurmseh 22 Sep 2020 21:20:48 2,614 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was reading the 7th Citadel page and it all looked so good. Then I saw the expected release date... so far away!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.