Following Boardgames anyone? Page 449

• Tonka 23 Sep 2020 06:26:26 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I should have sold my 7th Continent when it was still hard to get. Good game, but I don't see myself playing it again.

Do the old KS versions fetch a higher price due to the minis?
  • danathjo 24 Sep 2020 04:39:07 8,291 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep, went for 7th Citadel too. I've never played continent but the emphasis on exploration seems like a good change.

Tempted with Dino World but there are quite a few other good kickstarters coming up in the next month, something needs to give!

Also played a game of Fort, only 2 player but really like it. Reminds me a bit of Res Arcana and San Juan with a cool kids theme. Small box too!
    Hopefully I can play a 3/4 player game once lockdown ends.
  • ChiefGB 24 Sep 2020 09:51:10 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh is fort finally out?
    Yeah, itís going to be tough for ks as I want all three I mentioned (now the thing has a bloody solo-3 player variant) argh.

What else is coming that I should be looking out for then?
  • danathjo 24 Sep 2020 12:55:53 8,291 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For me personally the new Cartographers stand alone expansion 'Heroes' is next week, then another that probably won't be as popular elsewhere 'Hoop Godz' with their previous game 'Rap Godz' added in pledge manager mid/late October.
    I'm sure there's another one but can't recall atm.
  • danathjo 24 Sep 2020 12:58:16 8,291 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Button Shy Games had something coming up, hoping to get a few of their games.
  • Gregolution 24 Sep 2020 15:15:45 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally lost a game of red skull campaign. Zola is GREAT fun. That's only on standard too, had breezed past the first 3 with Hawkeye.

I think i might have to start playing 2 handed. 2 player is where this game plays best IMO
  • alt-cmd-esc 24 Sep 2020 16:36:57 527 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My FLGS has expanded, so I decided to pop in and have a look at the new premises. Naturally I could not leave empty handed, so that's Alma Mater and Tekhenu added to the shelves of shame \o/
  • Tonka 24 Sep 2020 17:48:57 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Alma Mater sure is pretty.
  • Slurmseh 24 Sep 2020 17:51:10 2,614 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Okay, started sleeving my AH cards and realised thereís no way theyíre fitting back in the box. So have gone and place an order for the folded space organiser on Zatu.

Also chucked in the Green Hoblin Scenario and Cap deck for Marvel Champions!

Edited by Slurmseh at 17:51:20 24-09-2020
  • Your-Mother 25 Sep 2020 20:01:47 4,970 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Last of Us boardgame announced!

...by CMON. Blah.
  • ChiefGB 26 Sep 2020 00:43:33 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Yes Iíve had my eyes on it. Been waiting for release but now other things have popped up.
  • Tonka 26 Sep 2020 06:47:38 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I just ordered the first three issues of Senet magazine. I've been wanting a nice glossy boardgaming magazine for years now, and this seem to fit the bill.

I'll report back once I've read them.

https://senetmagazine.com
  • Tonka 26 Sep 2020 06:54:42 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Yes Iíve had my eyes on it. Been waiting for release but now other things have popped up.
    I know that feeling. It's slowed down for me lately. It's nice to have built a library of Gabe's in different genre and with different mechanics. Still, someone's things show up that just bypass my brain and go straight to the "Must have" pay off me.

Like that adorable two player strategy game from Japan I saw on the coming soon section of Kickstarter.

Luckily I can't seem to find it anymore.
  • Kernowgaz 26 Sep 2020 07:35:38 99 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I just ordered the first three issues of Senet magazine. I've been wanting a nice glossy boardgaming magazine for years now, and this seem to fit the bill.

I'll report back once I've read them.

https://senetmagazine.com
    There a decent read but the magazine is tiny.

Decent interview with Eric Lang in the issue I got Thursday
  • rice_sandwich 26 Sep 2020 08:38:27 6,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I looked at it but was put off by some 2p issues. It appears to be best at 3+ players. Its predecessor, Coimbra, is a better fit for 2p.
  • Tonka 26 Sep 2020 09:26:51 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just listened to SVWAG and they had payed Alma Mater and both of them enjoyed it. There will probably be a review in a few weeks by the sound of it.
  • Tonka 26 Sep 2020 09:27:27 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Kernowgaz how tiny?

Like a folded A4?
    Never mind, I used the rather excellent https://size.link/ to see it. That is rather shall indeed.

Still excited.

Edited by Tonka at 09:32:13 26-09-2020
  • Tonka 26 Sep 2020 10:38:06 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Heh, found that 2p strategy game that I'm definitely not going to back.

No chance. None... Right?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satochika/gunshi-the-art-of-strategy-made-in-japan?ref=bggforums
  • ChiefGB 26 Sep 2020 15:38:23 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Heh, found that 2p strategy game that I'm definitely not going to back.

No chance. None... Right?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satochika/gunshi-the-art-of-strategy-made-in-japan?ref=bggforums

Ohhhh, now that does look cute. Probably able to avoid that one though.
  • Tonka 26 Sep 2020 17:22:54 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    🤞
  • Roddy100 27 Sep 2020 09:40:52 1,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Played several games of Calico this weekend, as a workmate (who backed it on Kickstarter) loaned it to me.

It's all about positioning quilt tiles on a board to accomplish design goals and attract cats. Really stunning artwork and a fun game all round.

May have to buy our own copy once it's officially available.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Sep 2020 13:25:06 24,589 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played a 3-player game of digital Root, and it was kind of terrible. We all chose random factions (I got the birds), and the faction that the game left out was the cats.

And that fucked me, because the birds need to attack people, and there's not much to attack without cats around. I failed the decree 5 times, and the Alliance could basically spread wherever it wanted away from my starting corner. There was nothing I could really do, it felt literally impossible to win beyond the first 5 turns or so.

So yeah... don't play games without the cats. Or the birds, really. They both need to be in it, or it gets really unbalanced.
  • Tonka 27 Sep 2020 18:45:31 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wouldn't a lack of cats make it easier for you to build roosts though?
  • Nemesis 27 Sep 2020 18:53:08 19,752 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Just a shout out to Valley Of The Kings; a neat little deck builder game in which youíre collecting sets (aha ha Set) of things to pop in your tomb before the pyramid of cards and stack runs out.

Lovely.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Sep 2020 22:46:33 24,589 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Wouldn't a lack of cats make it easier for you to build roosts though?
    Well, that's what I tried initially. But then both the other players ganged up on me, and I couldn't defend all of the roosts. Holding the line against the alliance meant nothing when the Vagabond could just go behind the lines and destroy the stuff I had to leave undefended.

And attacking back meant adding attacks to the decree, which fucked me when I couldn't find close targets. There was one leader who didn't even last a whole turn, because there weren't any targets to attack. It was miserable.
  • Tonka 28 Sep 2020 05:57:23 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ah, I see.
    Root really offers done interesting post game discussions. Even if the game itself was unbalanced or had a runaway leader I find it interesting to discuss why it happened and if it could have been stopped.

But I guess that such an asymmetrical game is fragile by nature. It sounds as if you posted to your strengths, but they found a weakness you couldn't do much about.

It's fascinating to read about, but maybe not so fun playing.
  • Mola_Ram 28 Sep 2020 06:05:50 24,589 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it wasn't fun to play at all. Even the Alliance player didn't enjoy it, he could see how fucked it was. Basically, the absence of cats hurt the birds and aided the Alliance in a way that was almost impossible for me to overcome, right from the beginning. And that's no fun for anyone.

The Alliance are supposed to be an insurgent faction that thrive in power vacuums, and without the cats the board was almost nothing but vacuum. They barely even needed to fight, they just spread the soldiers around and plopped sympathy everywhere.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 08:41:35 28-09-2020
  • BearFishPie 28 Sep 2020 08:00:38 820 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @danathjo Iím fairly sure Button Shy are doing a KS for the follow-up/standalone expansion to the excellent Sprawlopolis shortly.
  • danathjo 28 Sep 2020 13:20:17 8,291 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BearFishPie Yep, Agropolis KS goes live Tuesday. Will wait and see what that's like but hoping you can add other BS games in the pledge manager.

Also, Pax Pamir arrived today. Holy moly what a beautiful game! Hope I can play a 3+ player game before the end of the year, I do hear the solo is decent though made by Ricky Royal.
  • Gregolution 28 Sep 2020 15:19:34 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Mola_Ram In the rule book there are suggested faction match ups for different player counts. Randomly choosing factions is a bad idea.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.