Following Boardgames anyone? Page 454

• millerlfc 8 Oct 2020 13:01:05 656 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    So it's now possible to pre-order the relaunched HeroQuest if you're in the UK (the current crowdunding site is for North America only), but only by ordering from Zavvi:
    https://www.zavvi.com/toys-games/hasbro-haslab-heroquest-game-system/12706785.html

It's £150 though which is taaking the piss a bit, especially as the crowdfund option for North America is $150. Plus as much as I loved HeroQuest back when I was a kid, it was a very basic game and they seem to have kept everything the same apart from improving the miniatures.
  • Tonka 8 Oct 2020 13:35:02 31,182 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's not even that great a game anymore. Back when it launched, it blew my mind, but today is say it's better to buy one of the Gloomhavens.
  • Slurmseh 8 Oct 2020 14:16:22 2,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I couldnít help myself.

https://i.imgur.com/EwSH0AP.jpg
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Oct 2020 14:20:15 33,272 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I dunno, Gloomhaven couldn't be any less like Heroquest if it tried. Agree overall though, there are just a tonne of better dungeon crawlers around these days.

The only thing it's got going for it are those cute little furniture bits.
  • Tonka 8 Oct 2020 14:51:10 31,182 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I dunno, Gloomhaven couldn't be any less like Heroquest if it tried.
    Exactly!
  • f00b_inc 8 Oct 2020 15:39:06 805 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    I couldnít help myself.

https://i.imgur.com/EwSH0AP.jpg
    Very jealous! Still trying to round up 4 players for base Root before I go all in on the expansions!
  • Slurmseh 8 Oct 2020 16:35:30 2,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @f00b_inc I have a group of 5 (once weíre out of lockdown) so needed to get the river folk out of the gate. Just thought why not get them all. And that way I have clockwork for solo play!
  • ChiefGB 8 Oct 2020 17:14:31 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka nemesis lockdown
  • ChiefGB 8 Oct 2020 19:54:58 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    More marvel pain, taskmaster is a cunt. Itís getting a tad frustrating and itís only going to get tougher from the sounds of it. Maybe Iíve just got the wrong heroes for my style, or maybe two handed with spider woman & Hawkeye is too much? Iíve not struggled as much as I have with these two but also the villains seem a step up in punishment, just doesnít seem to be any breathing room and lucky draws aside seems like Iím coming up short.

Iíll keep banging my head against the wall rhino style.

/rant over
  • kentmonkey 8 Oct 2020 20:00:35 23,845 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ChiefGB inspired by you, I've just started a two hander (oo-er) with the pre-made decks of Spiderwoman and Hawkeye versus the campaign.

Crossbones down in 8 rounds (so slower than Spiderman and Hulk but I went in really cold with these decks so wasn't sure what to expect). Crossbones didn't get out of the first stage on his scheme such was Spiderwoman's amazing ability to sort out the threat. Absorbing Man in an hour or so. I'll update.

Definitely slower than Spiderman and Hulk though.
  • ChiefGB 8 Oct 2020 20:16:48 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lol, as I said Iíd like to think itís doable with the supplied stuff and it takes a while to grind me down but seems inevitable most times. Maybe Iíve put my upgrades in the wrong place as well (buffed thwart for sw, and attack for hawk) looking back buffing hawks attack just means Iím less likely to exhaust to fire a second arrow 🤔
  • garsync 8 Oct 2020 21:36:29 253 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am stuck on Zola, two handed with Black Widow and Hawkeye. (not sure what happened in Budapest but it sounded like a good pairing ) Standard aspects but some added cards....

So many upgraded mobs, is putting me off trying again, feel like I had a bad pairing.
  • kentmonkey 8 Oct 2020 22:07:49 23,845 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ChiefGB just done absorbing man. Took 10 complete phases.

I was never really in any danger, but it took 3 phases for me to take any further health off of him when I got him down to 14.

Goliath and a Sky cycle, followed by a tough, really helped out in the end. That took 10 off of him.

Finished with 5 health on both (if I'd played the last round smarter I would have finished with 8 on Spiderwoman).

So, yeah, those decks aren't optimum at all. I can already think of changes to both that would pump out a lot more damage. And they both need more card draw. Hawkeye is really missing an avengers mansion to get more arrows in. Without the additional card draw option, Spiderwoman's alter ego ability is also pretty useless.
  • kentmonkey 8 Oct 2020 22:10:44 23,845 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @garsync try black widow under protection rather than justice. She rocks under protection.

And just stuff the deck full of allies to make up for protection's lack of thw.

Trouble with BW is she's all about playing it slow, cancelling stuff. She's great to play with characters who need to set up to be really strong (Iron Man for example) but she can drag out games with normal characters. But on the plus side you're very rarely in danger with her as she can cancel everything.

Edited by kentmonkey at 22:11:22 08-10-2020
  • rice_sandwich 9 Oct 2020 08:35:44 6,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Two more games (pre)ordered today. The new Feld, Bonfire, which looks to have a slightly weird theme (mystical gnomes) and the Salmon Deck for Nusjfjord. More cards for Nusjford are always welcome.
  • ChiefGB 9 Oct 2020 16:39:39 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, watching dale play a bit of taskmaster and already spotted 2 things I donít do. Didnít realise ďsearchingĒ meant you could choose a card, thought it was forced with the first found. Also the nuance between ďputting in playĒ against ďrevealingĒ on encounter cards.
    Iíll keep watching lol
  • kentmonkey 9 Oct 2020 17:56:53 23,845 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ChiefGB two things I did wrong at the start as well, don't worry.

Tip on what minion to reveal - most people go for the weakest. It's actually best to put into play the minion with the worst 'when revealed' text as, as you say, that doesn't trigger in those circumstances.
  • ChiefGB 9 Oct 2020 18:51:28 12,832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, went back and crushed him under my heeel slowly, bizarrely not thanks to any of the tips, just decent cards. Managed to pick up 2 allies and was never really in trouble. Took a good 90mins though.
    As previously discussed, zola looks like fun 😖, looks like one you donít want hanging around.

Edited by ChiefGB at 19:15:37 09-10-2020
  • kentmonkey 9 Oct 2020 19:30:28 23,845 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No, definitely not. Get in, smack him, get out fast. I kinda think if you've gone beyond 8-9 rounds in a 2 hero game.... Well, the good news is it might be over soon after! 😀
  • Slurmseh 9 Oct 2020 20:17:47 2,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I would love to get card holders similar to what Dale uses for his scenario cards but it looks like the Uberstax are sold out everywhere!

Anyone know of an alternative?
  • garsync 9 Oct 2020 22:01:29 253 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @garsync try black widow under protection rather than justice. She rocks under protection.

And just stuff the deck full of allies to make up for protection's lack of thw.

Trouble with BW is she's all about playing it slow, cancelling stuff. She's great to play with characters who need to set up to be really strong (Iron Man for example) but she can drag out games with normal characters. But on the plus side you're very rarely in danger with her as she can cancel everything.

I will give that a shot, need to do something, ta
  • kentmonkey 9 Oct 2020 23:05:09 23,845 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Slurmseh I've gone 'full chav' and reused the little white screw plate covers you get with IKEA Kallax units. I now have 8 perfect card holders, for nowt. 😀
  • kentmonkey 9 Oct 2020 23:08:20 23,845 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ChiefGB just played Taskmaster with SW and Hawkeye.

I slightly tweaked their decks (about 8 cards changed in SW, about 4 in Hawkeye) and annihilated him.

Was long (nearly 2 hours) because I wanted all of the allies out and every prison came out as a boost card in the first run through his encounter deck.

But finished him off with 9 health on SW, 7 on Hawkeye and 1 threat on the scheme (no side schemes out). 11 rounds. Could have had him on 8 but wanted to get those allies.

Just slightly tweaking those decks makes them sooooo much more powerful.

Edited by kentmonkey at 23:08:44 09-10-2020
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2020 06:48:40 31,182 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @Slurmseh I've gone 'full chav' and reused the little white screw plate covers you get with IKEA Kallax units. I now have 8 perfect card holders, for nowt. 😀
    👏👏👏👏👏
  • Gregolution 10 Oct 2020 09:50:23 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I hesitated over buying Crystal Palace for 6 months while it was on sale at Chaos Cards for 47.... never bit but it came into stock for 35 quid delivered at some weird place I'd never heard of (Rogue games?). Played it last night, it was significantly better than my first play experience.

Really really aggressive nasty interactive Euro - which is so my cup of tea. I can never judge complex games well enough after a single play....
  • Gregolution 10 Oct 2020 09:52:58 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Without the additional card draw option, Spiderwoman's alter ego ability is also pretty useless.
    That's a really good idea (avengers mansion)! Why didn't I think of that... duh.

Although I quite like knowing what's coming up in the encounter deck, but that's all I've used it for so far.

Edited by Gregolution at 09:53:17 10-10-2020
  • Slurmseh 10 Oct 2020 10:09:53 2,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @kentmonkey smart!

Just realised a wooden cardholder came with my Root Riverfolk Expansion. So Iím sorted!
  • Nemesis 10 Oct 2020 10:20:16 19,752 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Night Of The Living Dead sure looks pretty!
  • PrivateFloyd 10 Oct 2020 11:23:22 5,330 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone had the Kang expansion yet for Marvel Champs?

Dropped in my letterbox today, will be giving it a whirl tonight.
  • kentmonkey 10 Oct 2020 11:38:22 23,845 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd yup got mine today but apparently tonight is 'date night'.

And I've already checked and date night doesn't include a quick go of marvel champions.

Wife needs to work on being a better date.

Edited by kentmonkey at 11:38:35 10-10-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.