Following Boardgames anyone? Page 456

• Dougs 15 Oct 2020 20:07:44 95,995 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Any decent new family games accessible for 8-10 year olds? Need some Christmas/lockdown games. Just One went down a storm last year....have my eye on Werewords, Ticket to Ride Europe and Disney Codenames...
  • ChiefGB 15 Oct 2020 21:57:52 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck it, just backed 7th citadel. I did fancy continent so may as well jump for this. Itís a long way away though. Next up will be dinosaur world as thatís a given and then thereís darkest dungeon next week which is likely to cause me some further grief.
    Think Iíll pause my Arkham purchases till these get past.

Pay day come save me.
  • Gregolution 16 Oct 2020 06:59:14 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Fuck it, just backed 7th citadel. I did fancy continent so may as well jump for this. Itís a long way away though. Next up will be dinosaur world as thatís a given and then thereís darkest dungeon next week which is likely to cause me some further grief.
    Think Iíll pause my Arkham purchases till these get past.

Pay day come save me.
    🤭🤭
  • kentmonkey 16 Oct 2020 20:17:30 23,845 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My 6 year old (who not only loves Marvel Champions but who is also scarily really good at it) really likes the look of Marvel United.

So I was thinking of picking it up for him for Christmas.

I don't however understand how I buy it in the UK. I don't Kickstarter, never have, don't understand it. I can't find it in any UK store. Is this a US only thing? Is it only available via Kickstarter? Help me not feel so old and out of touch!!
  • Your-Mother 16 Oct 2020 21:21:11 4,970 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a retail release. Kickstarter is already done and dusted, and heavily delayed anyway (core is shipped but the KS exclusive stuff + expansions will be sometime in 2021). It's widely available here in the US already so must be hitting UK shelves soon.

FWIW it's a fun lightweight little game and probably perfect for a six year old, but it's way too simplistic for adults to get much mileage out.
  • ChiefGB 16 Oct 2020 22:37:49 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished my Arkham revisit, I think I fudged it a little at the end but managed to scrape by killing the big bad after thinking I had zero chance.
    Itís hard to understand if itís for me, but Iíve sat down building more decks for 2 different investigators, shortly after and I can see how it can be mixed up somewhat.

Weird that even the differently coloured cards make your hand feel vibrant and different. (Maybe that bits just me).

Maybe itís just the core campaign but it feels a bit plain.
  • Your-Mother 16 Oct 2020 22:40:08 4,970 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The core campaign is definitely very much in the realms of tutorial. It doesn't have the good narrative, branching decisions (for the most part) or varied gameplay of the other cycles.
  • kentmonkey 16 Oct 2020 22:51:26 23,845 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Your-Mother thanks, that's helpful.

I've watched (with my boy) a couple of casual dale plays and it looks like it's over in about 15-20 mins. Which is ideal for him. He loves Marvel Champions (and embarrassingly points out better moves to me sometimes, like 'use that resource to ping off Crossbones' weapon instead of attacking daddy', which makes a lot more sense) but tends to get distracted 1 hour into a 1.5 hour 2 player game of it.

I'll keep my eye out for it in the UK stores then (well, websites). If I can get it for circa £30 it would make a fun Christmas present for him.

Edited by kentmonkey at 22:51:39 16-10-2020
  • Your-Mother 17 Oct 2020 00:58:03 4,970 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nemesis finally hit regular retail here, wooooooo. Grabbed a copy as soon as it came in stock in my local store. Now I donít need the full pledge for the Kickstarter.
  • Tonka 17 Oct 2020 06:58:04 31,182 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Dougs I've really enjoyed Catan Jr with my kids, and so have they.
  • Tonka 17 Oct 2020 07:03:34 31,182 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @kentmonkey there are French copies available, which probably doesn't help, and that make me wonder if the English shipment hasn't come in yet.

https://boardgameprices.co.uk/item/show/35640/marvel-united?search=Marvel+united
  • kentmonkey 17 Oct 2020 09:30:56 23,845 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka that might be the case. I wonder if they're keeping all the English language versions for the US market, until they have fulfilled those perhaps.
  • Gregolution 17 Oct 2020 09:32:08 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

The game plus whole of dunwich is the right way to start but it's understandably a tough ask, lots of money

I'm in a total yolo mode these days. I think covid has broken lifelong Scrooge behaviour
  • ChiefGB 17 Oct 2020 12:00:51 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Gregolution
    Amen brother. Yeah, itís just quite a cold game, it incessantly beats you over the head. Iíll try play with some other investigators (have skids and Agnes set and ready to go) see how that mixes the gameplay up.
  • Tonka 17 Oct 2020 19:46:23 31,182 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:

I'm in a total yolo mode these days. I think covid has broken lifelong Scrooge behaviour
    Oh Greg, if I was asked to make a Scrooge like person on this forum, your name would never come up.
  • Your-Mother 18 Oct 2020 03:34:24 4,970 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    First solo game of Nemesis down. Lost, but only on the last turn - objective completed but died in the escape
    pod room (and probably would have died anyway as I had an infected contamination card).. Pretty sure I got all the rules right, but I was surprised as Iíd heard it was a relatively weighty game (3.3 on BGG) but nothing hugely complex stood out, aside from quite a bit to track. Guessing itíll be more complex in semi-coop mode or with harder objectives though (I might have lucked out and got an easy objective first time). Got to try and convince the girlfriend to try out semi-coop tomorrow.
  • Tonka 18 Oct 2020 06:46:43 31,182 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've had some time with the first three issues of Senet Magazine, and it's just what I've been looking for over the last couple of years.

Interviews with developers, articles on different kinds of havey mechanics, others on themes. A clever bit where some well known boardgame reviewer talks about a game on their shelf of shame, then plays it and gives a short review.

And more. The reviews are short though, but I found that to be the right way to do it. Better cram a lot in there and then let readers find more online if the have sounds interesting.

I just subscribed for the 2021 issues and I'm really looking forward to reading them. Pity it's only the issues a year.

All you living in the UK get free PNP so it's only 21gbp. They still have the first three issues to back order. Do it. Make sure this stays around.

https://senetmagazine.com/
  • kentmonkey 18 Oct 2020 14:44:45 23,845 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tried Hawkeye (Justice) and Hulk (aggression) Vs Red Skull expert last night (once with Doomsday Chair, the other with the two Hydra encounter sets).

Annihilated both times. Having gone 19 games unbeaten, that was very humbling.

I don't think Hawkeye and Hulk make a good combo against him and his many, many side schemes. But that's what my random generator came up with.
  • Gregolution 18 Oct 2020 14:53:07 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:

Oh Greg, if I was asked to make a Scrooge like person on this forum, your name would never come up.
    Well you know me by an online forum. It's not exactly a close relationship. I'm the biggest saver on the planet , from the moment I left home at 19 on minimum wage I have always made sure I save at least something each month and I've never used debt. I'm the biggest Scrooge, always have been.

As my career has gone on I never adjusted spending much. Rarely eat out, no fancy cars etc etc. I've lived on a very small fraction of my income for the last decade.

You really don't know me at all sir!
  • Tonka 18 Oct 2020 15:35:22 31,182 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sounds like it's time to treat yourself to a Kallax full of unopened boardgames.
  • Gregolution 18 Oct 2020 15:42:27 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Sounds like it's time to treat yourself to a Kallax full of unopened boardgames.
    Haha I don't understand this unplayed games thing. So many nutters have loads. I have to play a game as soon as I receive it!
  • Tonka 18 Oct 2020 15:47:09 31,182 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For me it's the lack of opportunities combined with a slow group (myself included) and a wish to play the same game at least thrice before moving on.

On top of that is the lust for new shiny, and a dose of fomo.
  • ChiefGB 18 Oct 2020 16:42:57 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iím in the middle here, fomo and new shiny is real, but at the same time if I buy one Iím playing it within a week.
  • Tonka 18 Oct 2020 18:02:27 31,182 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I do feel that my purchases have spread out though. Just the other day I was holding the exiles and partisans deck for Root in my hand, and ended up not buying it.
  • Your-Mother 18 Oct 2020 18:11:30 4,970 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I sometimes buy from a collection viewpoint, so a handful of mine are unplayed (and in a case of a couple of rare ones, even unopened). They tend to be quirky smaller and/or rarer ones though (like a nearly complete set of the Sim City CCG, or a 100% complete Zombies!!!!) so itís not taking up much in the way of storage.

I do have a lot of barely played ones though, whether itís something I bounced off and havenít resold or traded, or something that requires a pretty specific likeminded group to get the most out of, and both are challenging in Covid days.
  • ChiefGB 18 Oct 2020 18:50:14 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah itís a collecting hobby for sure which does rail against the idea of them somewhat. Buts itís a new addiction for me so itís a gotta catch em all kind of thing thereís so much out there.
  • rice_sandwich 18 Oct 2020 20:35:08 6,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dropped off a dozen games at the charity shop yesterday. I advised the manager that they should sell them on eBay for decent prices rather than in the shop for £5. Glad to have more shelf space for new stuff!
  • Nemesis 18 Oct 2020 21:48:28 19,752 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Any decent new family games accessible for 8-10 year olds? Need some Christmas/lockdown games. Just One went down a storm last year....have my eye on Werewords, Ticket to Ride Europe and Disney Codenames...
    Patchwork Christmas Edition!

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/prod/board-games/patchwork-winter-edition
  • Dougs 19 Oct 2020 07:35:50 95,995 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    My wife would absolutely love that I think. Will check it out, cheers!
  • Tonka 19 Oct 2020 08:29:33 31,182 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Patchwork is a very very good game. Do snap it up

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.