Boardgames anyone? Page 475

• ChiefGB 18 Nov 2020 14:25:55 13,035 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope, itís doing nothing for me unfortunately (burncycle) it appears to have little of the charm of tmb for a start.
    It may well be a great game but it really isnít selling itself to me it just seems a bit dull all round 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Gregolution 18 Nov 2020 14:28:11 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Anhunedd I backed it instantly. The gameplay all in seems cheap to me. their games always have loads of depth and content. I haven't even really followed the campaign I'm just a CTG fanboi. :)
  • ChiefGB 18 Nov 2020 14:36:57 13,035 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I canít shake the feeling many have done the same, doesnít mean they arenít correct though.
  • Slurmseh 18 Nov 2020 14:47:18 2,702 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gaia Project on sale at Chaos Cards
  • ChiefGB 18 Nov 2020 14:50:50 13,035 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still £70 though, one for those already on the hunt really. But worth a share regardless.
  • Slurmseh 18 Nov 2020 14:57:05 2,702 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not cheap exactly, but the cheapest itís been in a long time!
  • Gregolution 18 Nov 2020 15:08:58 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I canít shake the feeling many have done the same, doesnít mean they arenít correct though.
    like what? I never get that feeling from any CTG game. They make brilliant deep interesting thematic games with bags of content. And they're also really nice people.
  • ChiefGB 18 Nov 2020 16:00:16 13,035 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Easy tiger, you said youíd effectively bought blind, the speed it was funded makes me wonder if others have done the same is all. But obviously just because I wasnít taken with it doesnít really mean a thing. After all, if we all liked the same things we wouldnít have such glorious choice.
  • Gregolution 18 Nov 2020 16:03:15 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was only asking what you were referring to that's been done the same :) I'm absolutely an easy tiger! Was interested to look up the similarities is all.

Just like video games, I tend to trust developers with good track records. Kojima, Myazaki, Myamoto - they all make solid games (nearly) every time. I have started doing similar with board games.

TMB and Cloudspire are never sell games for me. I love them both so I have some well founded faith in CTG.
  • Your-Mother 18 Nov 2020 16:16:02 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Your-Mother wrote:

Resi 2 is great, ignore the naysayers. And Resi 3 looks like a marked improvement on an already solid base, really looking forward to it.
    You're right, I didn't mean to come across so strongly. I personally felt Resi 2 was not up to scratch in gameplay or components and I'm glad I sold it all on ebay straight away, but that doesn't mean I'm right - it's just my opinion!

I apologise.
    Not aimed at you pal! Sorry if that was implied. It was the comments on the YouTube video that wound me up a bit, I know you said youíve had negative encounters with the main designers over at SFG so understandable your dislike.
  • Your-Mother 18 Nov 2020 16:19:02 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And Iím waiting for retail for Burn Cycle. I donít doubt that itíll be a good game as CTG have absolute pedigree, but something about it isnít clicking for me. I think itís the eclectic mix of art styles across the components, though I understand a lot of it is placeholder stuff too.
  • ChiefGB 18 Nov 2020 16:23:00 13,035 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which is fair, Ok reading back I could see how I could be misquoted, but I think Iíve explained myself. I also see the loyalty comparisons.
    In honesty I looked into it because of your effusive praise of them, and the fact it looks like I missed out on tmb. I just bounced right off, combination of price against what Iíd want for the money. All the components look like they will be well made but many seem a bit superfluous.
    I have to draw the line somewhere but for me this one was easy, more fool me perhaps when itís the next best thing.
  • Gregolution 18 Nov 2020 17:00:14 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If I'm wrong I'll sell on. I didn't like their little memory game thing, I thoroughly disliked it actually - but only because I have a horrific memory.
  • ChiefGB 18 Nov 2020 18:42:35 13,035 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And there is always that option. It is nice to have a hobby where sell on value is good and sometimes even better second time around.
    Just not so good when you want to dip into that market to buy.
  • M0nkeyF1sh 18 Nov 2020 19:11:27 303 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Burncycle not doing it for me either. I know a lot of the artwork is placeholder but it seems like a mistake showing it in it's current state - it all looks so bland and boring.

Also, while I love TMB, I have a love-hate thing with Cloudspire. When it clicks it's a lot fun but more often than not I find I get screwed over by some of the random elements (cards, landmarks) and it just seems unfair. Looking at the amount of random events in Burncycle, it really makes me think it'll be same. The dude on One Stop Co-op Shop said the same thing in his video "review".
  • Tonka 19 Nov 2020 09:24:11 31,378 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I personally don't find co-op games that interesting other than with my family.

Also, yo guys seems to have missed that Tom Russel has announced a new train game. WTF you all talking about colourful mousemats and pokerchips for?

HEXES AND CHITS DAMMIT! WOODEN CYLINDERS! 6 pages of rules!

From the guy that has done both Irish Gauge and Northern Pacific. Insta GOTY!
  • Tonka 19 Nov 2020 09:25:09 31,378 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If you're into boardgames and don't have at least one cube rails game in your collection, YOU'RE NOT INTO BOARDGAMES!
  • RyanDS 19 Nov 2020 10:33:51 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah damn. Went to do final scenario of Dunwich last night and didn't realise if you fail scenario 6 it says you fail the campaign.

Now debating whether to redo whole campaign (correct but long option.) Or just redo 6 but that feels like cheating.
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 10:49:20 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Ah damn. Went to do final scenario of Dunwich last night and didn't realise if you fail scenario 6 it says you fail the campaign.

Now debating whether to redo whole campaign (correct but long option.) Or just redo 6 but that feels like cheating.
    Definitely restart the campaign. I quite enjoy doing them again, with the knowledge. First play through is gold but second playthroughs are more stategic. Could tweak your decks a bit too.
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 10:49:56 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    If you're into boardgames and don't have at least one cube rails game in your collection, YOU'RE NOT INTO BOARDGAMES!
    aggressive!

Which one should I own? (and guarantee to bore my kids with)
  • RyanDS 19 Nov 2020 10:52:26 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

Definitely restart the campaign. I quite enjoy doing them again, with the knowledge. First play through is gold but second playthroughs are more stategic. Could tweak your decks a bit too.
    Any suggestion for investigators? I have Dunwich, Circle Undone and Dream eaters expansions. Given how hard the game is I want to optimise.

Last time was Zoey and Rex.

Edited by RyanDS at 10:52:46 19-11-2020
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 11:00:47 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh that hex chick from Circle undone is REALLY strong. Dianne - she's bloody brilliant.

Dream Eaters are all really strong investigators and fun. I think it was one of the best cycles for investigators. Patrice is an interesting playstyle, but Ive only played with her not as. Tommy I played last few games and he's the most fun I've had with a Guardian.

Not sure what would make the better team though..... depends on how you build them really. Dianne can be quite tanky with some builds so you wouldn't want her with Tommy I guess. Tommy and Patrice maybe? Could struggle cloovering...

Its not an easy decision!
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 11:01:09 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    making me want to play Arkham now
  • rice_sandwich 19 Nov 2020 11:04:06 6,586 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Arkham Horror 2nd Edition with all expansions thrown in at max player count? Nice.
  • rice_sandwich 19 Nov 2020 11:07:26 6,586 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone into jigsaw puzzles? I've done a few during the last few months and find them both relaxing and challenging. Definitely good for stepping away from screens.
  • RyanDS 19 Nov 2020 11:13:38 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Anyone into jigsaw puzzles? I've done a few during the last few months and find them both relaxing and challenging. Definitely good for stepping away from screens.
    I love my Wasgij collection. Perfect for a long winters evening.
  • Slurmseh 19 Nov 2020 11:41:12 2,702 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So it turns out I ordered the standard mage knight, not the ultimate edition. Which is fine...

Except I ordered an e raptor storage solution for the ultimate edition and in my haste already built it and discarded the box etc. Oh well, thatís money down the drain!

On the plus side at least the original box fits inside my Kallax!
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 12:09:39 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Arkham Horror 2nd Edition with all expansions thrown in at max player count? Nice.
    Silly man, there's only one arkham worth owning. LCG!
  • Tonka 19 Nov 2020 12:11:09 31,378 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Gregolution Chicago Express or Irish Gauge
  • rice_sandwich 19 Nov 2020 12:23:21 6,586 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Gregolution

What's wrong with an 8 hour totally random game where everything and anything that can go wrong, will go wrong? Despite its clunky nature I have to say that AH still has a place in my collection.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 13:11:11 19-11-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.