Boardgames anyone? Page 476

• RyanDS 19 Nov 2020 12:32:50 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I love it and have all the expansions etc. During lockdown I have tried to set it up 3 times. Every time I get 45 minutes into setup, realise I still have 55 decks to sort etc...

And put it lovingly back in the box to admire on my shelf.

Edit: This relates to Arkham Horror 2nd ed.

Edited by RyanDS at 12:33:21 19-11-2020
  • rice_sandwich 19 Nov 2020 13:12:22 6,586 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RyanDS

Get craft trays and put in all the components. Cuts down the setup time to 5 minutes. Of course you need to store them somewhere.
  • ChiefGB 19 Nov 2020 13:30:15 13,036 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Iíve always loved a jigsaw growing up, not really done one in years. Have considered it recently as my table is more accessible than in years. It was in the corner of my kitchen as more of a big shelf than anything else for the longest time...........not so much these days, but despite my best efforts to streamline all the crap on it my wife keeps adding more now itís clearer so itís still a right shuffle everytime I want to play 😤. Anyway I digress 😬
  • ChiefGB 19 Nov 2020 13:35:13 13,036 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @RyanDS

Get craft trays and put in all the components. Cuts down the setup time to 5 minutes. Of course you need to store them somewhere.
    Also itís amazing how this hobby changes your eye for the silly things.
    Everytime I see a baggy these days Iím all over it (have loads at my workplace so I guess Iíll never go without), and the little pots some takeaways do for sauces etc make great component trays. Also my wife kept a load of ceramic ramekins from Sainsburys which have been a godsend for setting up my jime tokens etc.
    Wouldnít have looked twice at any of that shit before hehe.
  • RyanDS 19 Nov 2020 15:00:47 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @RyanDS

It's not just that. It's also the dread sinking in that I will be playing for HOURS. And then I glance across at the LCG and play that instead.

Just ordered the entirety of the Forgotten Age. Early birthday present to myself. I may need to order another card holder as well... I actually find it very therapeutic and relaxing filing the cards.

I do love my card holders, and I refile my cards occassionally as I haven't left enough room etc...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Card-Guardian-Trading-Loading-Pockets/dp/B07XWH9VSQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3TAU6YYOUG205&dchild=1&keywords=card+guardian&qid=1605798000&sprefix=card+gua%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-5
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 16:35:34 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RyanDS oh mate... some COOL cards in Forgotten Age. I think that's for me when the game upgrade itself in a huge way. Things like sealed components and ornate bow! TONNES of amazing cards.

The campaign itself........ :|.......... I'll let you be the judge but not my favourite.
  • RyanDS 19 Nov 2020 17:42:17 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @RyanDS oh mate... some COOL cards in Forgotten Age. I think that's for me when the game upgrade itself in a huge way. Things like sealed components and ornate bow! TONNES of amazing cards.

The campaign itself........ :|.......... I'll let you be the judge but not my favourite.
    Yeah. I actually wanted carcossa but there were 3 packs i couldn't find. Forgotten age I can get in one go between amazon and dice and decks.
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 18:40:10 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    the speed it was funded makes me wonder if others have done the same is all.
    Also worth noting - they're very well known in industry AND they only run 10 day is campaigns. You can't put this one down to fanboism 😃

I can't think of anyone else that does 10 day campaigns actually. They don't do any of the ks exclusive long campaign bolx.
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 18:41:02 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RyanDS

Fair enough. Carcossa probably still the best campaign in comparison
  • Your-Mother 19 Nov 2020 18:43:51 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I havenít had a chance to play through it yet but Return to Forgotten Age allegedly fixes a lot of the issues the campaign has.
  • Gregolution 19 Nov 2020 19:07:25 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Your-Mother

Cool. Own itz haven't tried it. Have played normal twice
  • ChiefGB 20 Nov 2020 10:59:52 13,036 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Etherfields pm has reopened. Can someone please talk me out of it.
  • Gregolution 20 Nov 2020 11:47:56 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Etherfields pm has reopened. Can someone please talk me out of it.
    Haha
  • rice_sandwich 20 Nov 2020 11:50:44 6,586 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How about the shocking idea of getting more play out of the games that you already have?
  • Slurmseh 20 Nov 2020 12:20:32 2,702 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    How about the shocking idea of getting more play out of the games that you already have?
    What is this madness you speak of?
  • ChiefGB 20 Nov 2020 12:38:24 13,036 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @rice_sandwich yes I hear you but these are all delivered next year.......
    Plus I donít have that many campaign style games, which are the games that last longer for me and make me play them more often.
  • jaxon58 20 Nov 2020 13:26:55 2,532 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    To help myself with this problem, I bought one of these towards the end of last year -
    Challenge Tracker

You decide on a list of 10 games in your collection that you feel are under-appreciated, then have one year to play each one ten times. It's helped me enjoy some of the games I've spent a lot of money that would have otherwise been left on the shelf. Highly recommended!

There's also a 5x10 version.

Edited by jaxon58 at 13:27:16 20-11-2020
  • Gregolution 20 Nov 2020 14:08:58 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm trying to get a few games to 100 played. Arkham and Marvel both really close.

I do try to make the most of what I have. I've got mates who only ever play their games a single time before moving onto something else. Absolute madness imo
  • kentmonkey 20 Nov 2020 14:33:47 23,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've played over 300 games of Marvel Champions. That's easily a record for me.

But mostly I play the games I have a lot, rather than buy a load of new ones.

I'm on the look out for a Marvel Legendary setup. I don't have much cash, so not expecting everything. Even just the core set would suffice for a while anyway. So thought I'd ask on here in case anyone has it in their collection and would like to get rid.
  • Tonka 20 Nov 2020 14:43:08 31,378 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've been within an inch of buying Pavlov's House for the last week. What stopped me was that I instead started reading the Oath Rules and Playbook.

Seems like it will a very interesting game. Much like the Pax Games (which Cole, the designer of Oath has been open with have been an inspiration) the deck for the current game and how the players build tableaus, will greatly effect how a game plays out.

The difference is that many of the tableaus are created by taking control over shared cards. So you can't build your engine and then sit back and pump it. Others can steal or demolish parts of it. Or refashion it to their own needs.

That and shifting ways to win and the possibility to change one's own role (I think even multiple times) will surely lead to some very fragile game states.

The components are through the roof. Shame about the box being too big to go on my display shelf.
  • rice_sandwich 20 Nov 2020 14:50:40 6,586 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @kentmonkey

The core set alone is not a good setup for Marvel Legendary. It's far too easy and ML is a game that (imo) really shines once you have more content. The minimum (again imo) that you need is core box and a big box. I would be hesitant only getting the core set on its own.

I have the core set, Hulk big box, Revelations medium expansion and Champions and Shield small expansions. I'm pretty happy with this and will only pick up one or two more small box expansions as the variety is more than enough.

The good thing about the game is the sheer variety of schemes, masterminds, villains and heroes. It doesn't tell a story like Marvel Champions but the gameplay is smooth and enjoyable, if somewhat simpler. The main enjoyment comes from building up your deck and then executing some crazy combo filled turns.

Setup and tear down is maybe 10 minutes and the board is big (though not actually essential for play).
  • Gregolution 20 Nov 2020 15:03:14 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirt 5 turned up. I find this dude bro presentation quite offensive. 😳
  • kentmonkey 20 Nov 2020 15:31:43 23,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich thanks, that's helpful.

While my son loves MC, I thought it would be cool to play something that's a bit quicker paced and simpler at times. MC games can take us nearly 1.5-2 hours (depending on the villain). Whereas ML seems to take around 30-45 mins.

Also while MC was a quick 'to table' game to start off with, now deck building can take 15-20 mins easily for both decks, before we even get the heroes to the table, due to the vast number of cards.

I'll keep an eye out for ML and at least one big box then to keep it interesting. I had tried to play it on TableTop simulator but the mod just keeps hanging. And seems to have been abandoned now.
  • Your-Mother 20 Nov 2020 15:35:06 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I've been within an inch of buying Pavlov's House for the last week. What stopped me was that I instead started reading the Oath Rules and Playbook.

Seems like it will a very interesting game. Much like the Pax Games (which Cole, the designer of Oath has been open with have been an inspiration) the deck for the current game and how the players build tableaus, will greatly effect how a game plays out.

The difference is that many of the tableaus are created by taking control over shared cards. So you can't build your engine and then sit back and pump it. Others can steal or demolish parts of it. Or refashion it to their own needs.

That and shifting ways to win and the possibility to change one's own role (I think even multiple times) will surely lead to some very fragile game states.

The components are through the roof. Shame about the box being too big to go on my display shelf.
    Pavlovís House is great. Itís way less complex than it first appears. Also seems to be intermittently impossible to find so Iíd snap it up if youíre interested and itís available.
  • ChiefGB 20 Nov 2020 15:35:29 13,036 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Is it a worker placement or tile laying game? 😬
    Wrong thread?
  • Tonka 20 Nov 2020 15:38:36 31,378 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Your-Mother don't.

Do not. Don't.

The scarcity angst is my strongest driver.
  • Tonka 20 Nov 2020 15:39:26 31,378 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Is it a worker placement or tile laying game? 😬
    Wrong thread?
    Or a new pack for that Lovecraft game?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Nov 2020 15:42:07 33,394 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In news that will only be exciting to me, I managed to snag a copy of World at War 85 and its expansion earlier.

80s WW3 is on. Whoop.
  • boo 20 Nov 2020 15:56:56 13,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My regular boardgaming group was a bunch of mates from work - we'd play after work in one of the meeting rooms and we usually had between four and six of us.

In the past couple of weeks, three out of the six of us have been made redundant, so we're trying to figure out the best way of playing remotely.

Anybody got any recommendations? I know there are some basic platforms out there, but no idea how well (or otherwise) they work.
  • ChiefGB 20 Nov 2020 16:05:53 13,036 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    In news that will only be exciting to me, I managed to snag a copy of World at War 85 and its expansion earlier.

80s WW3 is on. Whoop.
    Is that the sequel to the next Wonder Woman movie?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.