Boardgames anyone? Page 477

• Tonka 20 Nov 2020 16:16:25 31,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @boo tabletop simulator send to be the biggest player. Vassal is the one people seem to like the most.

Then there are dedicated apps for some games, like Root and pandemic, that do online play, and that seems to be a better solution, but more costly.

I haven't tried any of it, but people on the podcast I listen to keep bringing it up.
  • Tonka 20 Nov 2020 16:17:47 31,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    In news that will only be exciting to me, I managed to snag a copy of World at War 85 and its expansion earlier.

80s WW3 is on. Whoop.
    I get excited by your excitement, I love the diversity that's on offer in boardgames. So many little niches to get lost in.
  • boo 20 Nov 2020 16:31:07 13,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cheers @Tonka - we'll take a look.
  • kentmonkey 20 Nov 2020 16:39:24 23,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @boo tabletop simulator has the biggest range, but costs.

Check out board game arena first to see if your type of game is on there. That's free.

Otherwise, if it's doable with the game you want to play with, zoom (it similar) it with one person responsible for moving everything.
  • Gregolution 20 Nov 2020 17:13:20 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Dirt 5 turned up. I find this dude bro presentation quite offensive. 😳
    Is it a worker placement or tile laying game? 😬
    Wrong thread?
    Lol whoops
  • Gregolution 20 Nov 2020 20:15:36 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Missed out on board gaming today because of bloody video games! Need to make up for it tomorrow. Marvel and.... Probably should get around to learning Pax Pamir.
  • Slurmseh 21 Nov 2020 14:02:04 2,702 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Played my first game of Architects of the West Kingdom.
    Solo mode due to the Rona

Really enjoyed it and it was very quick. Automa was easy to control and play.

Deciding what I should play next today!
  • Slurmseh 21 Nov 2020 19:29:53 2,702 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Went back to old reliable AH.

Did Blood on the Altar
    This also went surprisingly easy. No traumas suffered and I was able to kill the beasty at the end and only have one person sacrificed.

I really feel like I’m being set up for a big fall.
  • Tonka 21 Nov 2020 19:56:06 31,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Played an exit have with the family. Was on the lower difficulty so the kids could join in, but it was a ton of fun non the less. Will get one of the hardest ones and a bottle of wine for a nice evening with my wife.

They do feel wasteful though.
  • ChiefGB 21 Nov 2020 21:07:11 13,036 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That kind of puts me off trying one, but I guess it’s also part of the charm. And it’s all relative really, is 10-15 that bad for a couple of quality hours? Yes and no, but I imagine they could get quite addictive.
  • garsync 22 Nov 2020 07:17:26 258 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are, we have played all the Exit games during lockdown including the two that recently came out. All gone in the recycling except for a few souvenirs. They are by far the best of that type of game, always have some great twists and surprises.

Really didn't click with the unlock games, although I am tempted by the Star Wars one.

Edited by garsync at 07:17:39 22-11-2020
  • Tonka 22 Nov 2020 09:42:10 31,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I guess the thinking it's that since no one will replay an exit game, they might as well do the most with the components. Which they do.

There's some genuinely clever stuff, and that's just from having plays two of them.

They are well worth the money. Superb experiences. (Again, having only played two)

The wastefulness is that they end up in the bin one you've finished with them.

@garsync can you recommend some of the thicker ones? I like the look of the murder mystery one, did you like it?
  • Boriska 22 Nov 2020 09:55:54 939 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I guess the thinking it's that since no one will replay an exit game, they might as well do the most with the components. Which they do.

There's some genuinely clever stuff, and that's just from having plays two of them.

They are well worth the money. Superb experiences. (Again, having only played two)

The wastefulness is that they end up in the bin one you've finished with them.

@garsync can you recommend some of the thicker ones? I like the look of the murder mystery one, did you like it?
    We managed to use our own scraps of paper to preserve the one we did and then posted it on to someone else once complete, though I'm guessing that's not possible with all of them.
  • Gregolution 22 Nov 2020 10:37:32 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Slurmseh

You playing true solo or 2 handed?
  • Slurmseh 22 Nov 2020 10:38:38 2,702 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gregolution 2 handed.

Zoey and Daisy

Edited by Slurmseh at 10:38:49 22-11-2020
  • Gregolution 22 Nov 2020 10:39:22 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka

Which games are you referring to? Sounds like something my wife would absolutely love. Could be a Xmas gift 😉
  • Gregolution 22 Nov 2020 10:41:39 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    @Gregolution 2 handed.

Zoey and Daisy
    I still haven't tried this. Desperately need to. I used to have 3 Arkham campaigns going before covid and now I've got zero!! Absolutely sucks
  • Slurmseh 22 Nov 2020 10:49:02 2,702 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gregolution I only picked it up during Covid so I don’t have experience playing with other people.

But I do love playing two handed. Originally I only played AH single handed but playing MC with two heroes gave me the confidence to try again.
  • Gregolution 22 Nov 2020 12:25:27 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Slurmseh

Fair enough. It's a very popular solo game (played 1 or 2 handed). It's a really amazing coop tho. So many mechanisms work so bloody well when with a group - like hidden cards or the peril keyword. Such great difficult decisions you have to make on your own that affect everyone! Love it
  • Tonka 22 Nov 2020 12:47:58 31,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Gregolution the EXIT series of escape room games. great for an evening with a partner and something nice to drink

I love how party of the enjoyment comes from marveling at how cleverly made they are. I can recommend the abandoned cabin one of you want a real challenge, out the dunkirk treasure one of you want to be eased into the system.

Both had some great puzzles and clever use of the components. The biggest difference is that the easier one do the puzzles in a linear fashion.

I'm definitely buying another one just for me and my wife. I get so sucked into it that I don't want to wait for the kids to solve the puzzle. (Worst dad ever ™)
  • Gregolution 22 Nov 2020 13:15:59 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka

Cool, I'll pick a couple up for Xmas 👍
  • ChiefGB 22 Nov 2020 13:55:32 13,036 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I reckon they are right up my alley. I will just have to ignore looking at them as “games” That go in a collection and focus on them being a one off “experience” to get onboard with it.
  • ChiefGB 22 Nov 2020 13:57:11 13,036 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka you had him at “something nice to drink” lol
  • Gregolution 22 Nov 2020 13:58:58 10,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    @Tonka you had him at “something nice to drink” lol
    So so true, you know me well. He even mentioned wine.
  • Tonka 22 Nov 2020 15:22:33 31,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Yeah I reckon they are right up my alley. I will just have to ignore looking at them as “games” That go in a collection and focus on them being a one off “experience” to get onboard with it.
    Spot on.
  • ChiefGB 22 Nov 2020 17:45:16 13,036 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe we could consider some games nights online, all of us have experience of different games that we could possibly teach to others on one of the many board game apps and maybe don’t have other people available to play the things we enjoy.
    Plus I guess all of us have the Experience to be able to learn something new quick enough or with the support of others. Been mentioned before no doubt but still worth considering perhaps. Each could host a game a week or something like that then maybe settle into regular popular ones.
  • Slurmseh 22 Nov 2020 18:12:37 2,702 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have TTS so would be up for trying some new games!
  • kentmonkey 22 Nov 2020 18:19:55 23,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ChiefGB yup, I'd be up for that.

I suggested that the other month but got tumbleweed. But I'm well up for playing boardgamesonline in general, and also playing Marvel Champions with someone if they're up for it.
  • ChiefGB 22 Nov 2020 18:56:26 13,036 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it’s just timing really, maybe the conversation was quickly taken in another direction as it tends to do here, there’s some real experienced heads in here though. I have tts, I’ve tried tabletopia once. For me tts has the largest choice and biggest pool of people putting the effort into scripted mods etc.
    There’s also a wealth of oop games that are really difficult to experience otherwise. Downside is time investment, i usually work varied shifts so can’t always make same nights/times etc, plus once you start something it’s not always easy to recommence are a later date although tts does save every turn or so.
    Hmm food for thought.
  • ChiefGB 22 Nov 2020 19:01:21 13,036 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, I currently have the same steam name as here so feel free to add.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.