Boardgames anyone? Page 502

• kentmonkey 8 Jan 2021 19:08:43 24,090 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Your-Mother ah. He's UK based so hopefully Arnak will get a reprint over here soon.
  • RyanDS 8 Jan 2021 19:09:55 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Okay. Mage Knight clicked a bit better this time. Was okay but very easy to do the intro scenario. Just run through.

Will try a proper one on the weekend.

Then played eldritch horror. Took longer to set up than play. I drew a rumour to start with that I couldn't deal with and ended up losing 5 turns in.

May as well try a 3rd game today, debating last scenario of arkham horror ccg forgotten age or trying Mamsions of Madness.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Jan 2021 19:24:17 6,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @kentmonkey I am on for 8pm on tabletopia, for a little while at least.
  • BearFishPie 8 Jan 2021 20:29:54 837 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RyanDS Iíve had a couple of slightly rushed attempts to get a game of Mage Knight played but each time have been convinced Iím getting enough of the rules wrong that Iíve bailed on it. One of these days the planets will align and Iíll play a full damn session.
  • Gregolution 8 Jan 2021 20:46:40 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RyanDS

Nice. Stick with it. It's an absolute classic imo. For someone that sells games without a second thought that is firmly on my never sell list.

Also my eldests favourite game and he'd kill me..
  • ChiefGB 8 Jan 2021 22:32:43 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So checked out Darwin, looks good.
    Dat table imprint doe 😱
  • danathjo 9 Jan 2021 12:07:02 8,294 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally got Spirit Island to click. Just using 1 island so far and probably will for a few more games but it really is sublime!

It's also possibly the first time i've had no temptation to buy all the expansions for a game I like as there is just so much in the base game i'm not even tempted to add anything yet.

First time posting in here for a while btw, hope everyone had a great Xmas and new years :)
  • RyanDS 9 Jan 2021 12:11:27 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Another go at Mansions of Madness escape from innsmouth today.

The game gave such an amazing first impression but is fast falling out of favour. It really isnít a game so much as a puzzle. If you go in the scenario blind it is impossible. You donít have time to explore, so your only chance to succeed is focus on doing x, y and z which loses all the fun as there is no excitement.

So you either have a fun game where you explore and get excited and you are guaranteed to lose, or a fairly easy game where you go ďBob get keys, Pete get fuel ASAP, find the garage door opener, then open garage door, refuel the car and run.Ē While ignoring all the interesting stuff around. (Not spoilers, made up example.). Sure the fuel may be in a different place but you know you can ignore all spare tires, spark plugs etc and just aim for the same end targets.

Edit. I may look for expansions that are easy rated and try those.

Edited by RyanDS at 12:12:06 09-01-2021
  • ChiefGB 9 Jan 2021 12:41:42 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, replayability is a bit limited, I prefer the campaign style and card play of jime. Although itís not the same game imo itís the better of the two, plus thereís much deeper variability of characters decks and builds by far, So i think it feels like more content out the box (only played mom on tts) although mom has more tokens etc from what I can tell.
    Not to say mom isnít a fun time too but you really would need to keep up with all the expansions I guess and even then they are different difficulties and playtimes so that can limit your choices there.
    With regards to exploring, jime does also limit your time to pursue things on the map so arguably is similar in terms of being able to burn time on
    the wrong things if you donít plan your routes.

Literal app puzzles aside (which jime has none of) I find
    It a superior product.

Edited by ChiefGB at 12:42:48 09-01-2021

Edited by ChiefGB at 12:44:58 09-01-2021
  • RyanDS 9 Jan 2021 12:43:47 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, agree with all of that. Especially that journeys lodes the just end when you lose.
  • ChiefGB 9 Jan 2021 12:53:39 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    (Uneducated opinion)
    So are we looking at a game of the year contender with Darwin already? (Edit: had a word with myself; far too early to say) It does look exceptionally crunchy with about 3 games in one. Also a euro game dripping in theme? Only concern would be it may have a bit too much going on. Also I have no idea if the board would even fit on my table.

(I must stop looking at backing things 😣 )

Edited by ChiefGB at 13:16:42 09-01-2021
  • kentmonkey 9 Jan 2021 12:57:10 24,090 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @danathjo Happy New Year! :)

Love Spirit Island. I've only got the Steam version, not the actual boardgame, but I love it. And I think the Steam version has helped me get my head around the complex rules that I may have struggled to do with the game itself. I'm sure I would have missed loads of the rulings - if the gane's 'You can't do that' noise it keeps making at me is anything to go by! :D
  • ChiefGB 9 Jan 2021 13:08:44 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Depends really, apps mean you can take a bit of a back seat, whereas with a physical game in front of you that you are responsible for the upkeep of Iím sure youíd have a tighter grip on things. Plus the app dictates what you know and when but the rules book will give you everything in the one place. It can making those learning steps an easier affair though.

Edited by ChiefGB at 13:09:14 09-01-2021
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jan 2021 13:55:10 33,534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich How did delivery and fees work out on Amazon US? I've got the RoTW event deck coming from somewhere else, but noticed they have quite a few of the maps there and fancy grabbing a couple.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Jan 2021 14:35:18 6,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

Not cheap at all. They tell you how much delivery and customs will be before you order it. I am getting my delivery on Monday which seems crazy for an item from the USA. Most of the ROTW stuff (or Eagle Gryphon Games in fact) are very hard to get in the UK so you need to be happy paying perhaps double rrp once all is factored in. I think I paid about £50 for the Railways of Portugal expansion map!
  • kentmonkey 9 Jan 2021 15:00:51 24,090 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Blimey! It might be a TTS/TableTopia only affair for us then.

I won't show this one to the boy, just in case he wants to get it!!! :D
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2021 15:58:30 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @danathjo Happy New Year! :)

Love Spirit Island. I've only got the Steam version, not the actual boardgame, but I love it. And I think the Steam version has helped me get my head around the complex rules that I may have struggled to do with the game itself. I'm sure I would have missed loads of the rulings - if the gane's 'You can't do that' noise it keeps making at me is anything to go by! :D
    IT'S THE BEST!! So happy to read these comments. That was the first proper non retail game I bought and blew my socks off, made me realise there's a huge world of gaming out there I had no idea about.

Still in my top 3 and love it every single time I play
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2021 15:59:31 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'ts not actually very hard to learn the rules . it's got a great rulebook and most of the complexity is in the play - rules are relatively straight forward. which is perfection.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jan 2021 16:10:27 33,534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Cheers dude. Maybe I'll just grab the one then... Quite like the look of the Canada one
  • kentmonkey 9 Jan 2021 21:54:04 24,090 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    rice, alt and I had a great online boardgaming session tonight on Tabletopia (joined by Chief as well but he had technical issues so had to duck out) playing Railways of Nippon.

I've set up a separate channel to organise online gaming sessions, if anyone is interest. Group can be found at:

https://discord.gg/2nFBje9fNh
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2021 15:39:15 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    rice, alt and I had a great online boardgaming session tonight on Tabletopia (joined by Chief as well but he had technical issues so had to duck out) playing Railways of Nippon.

I've set up a separate channel to organise online gaming sessions, if anyone is interest. Group can be found at:

Must get involved with this at some point!

Currently playing my 100th game of Marvel with my boys. 2nd game I've got to 100 plays, and both are FFG (netrunner was the first).

I think I'd like to get quite a few games to 100+. I much prefer playing a game loads than constantly shifting through new stuff
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2021 16:53:30 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    and I'm dead first .... AGAIN.

My kids think I'm rubbish :|
  • RyanDS 10 Jan 2021 17:07:17 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally got around to finishing the Forgotten Age in arkham horror.

Really not a fan. I actually cheated in the end. The gimmick of the penultimate scenario bored me so I packed up without finishing. Just went into the final one and skimmed through it.

Just opened the path to carcossa box. ( no expansions though as all out of print.) Hoping this one is a more fun ride. I already like the look of Lola, just have to decide who to pair her with.
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2021 17:09:55 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RyanDS

You're going from the worst campaign to the best of all, you'll definitely have fun 👍
  • Your-Mother 10 Jan 2021 17:10:48 6,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone have any experience with Secrets of the Lost Tomb/Station? Blind bought the latter as part of a multi buy deal. BGG has the typical ďitís the greatest thing ever/put it back in the box after an hourĒ opinion split on anything that isnít in the top 100. If itís a dud I can sell it on for cost easily enough.
  • ChiefGB 10 Jan 2021 17:12:14 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carcosa does sound pretty cool, isnít that the cursed play one? Interesting as a setting.
  • kentmonkey 10 Jan 2021 17:17:16 24,090 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:

Must get involved with this at some point!

Currently playing my 100th game of Marvel with my boys. 2nd game I've got to 100 plays, and both are FFG (netrunner was the first).

I think I'd like to get quite a few games to 100+. I much prefer playing a game loads than constantly shifting through new stuff
    I'm at 287 plays of that now I think.

Which is insane really.

My six year old and I have just taken on Crossbones. Defeated him in 4 turns.

So he asked if we could play him in expert...Crossbones went down in 5 turns. Boom. Fantastic game.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jan 2021 17:20:25 6,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Iíve started using painted Marvel Crisis Protocol figures as markers in my MC games. Itís stupid but itís my thing now. Might use the Marvel United figures instead and actually get some use from that game.
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2021 19:32:00 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Impressive!. I'm sure I'll get to 200. Feels like the game is getting better to me. Ant Man and wasp have been more interesting heroes, bring on more complexity please! 👊

I've always smashed through crossbones too. Zola on the other hand...
  • ChiefGB 10 Jan 2021 20:17:39 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Iím swimming in leadership cards so Iím thinking wasp will be the one to go for next as itís not my fav style.
    As for justice itís either bw or doc, guess doc makes the most sense as heís quite different from the looks of it.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.