Boardgames anyone? Page 503

• Your-Mother 10 Jan 2021 20:23:01 6,203 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just want them to hurry up and get out the X-Men. I know getting through the MCU is where the current popularity lies (hence Scarlet Witch, who is kind of X-men, timed alongside WandaVision) but I want to get some fastball special combos going on. No-oneís even cropped up as an ally card yet, have they?
  • kentmonkey 10 Jan 2021 22:15:55 24,090 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Black Widow is one of my favourite characters to play as. She's brilliant in protection, especially in a dual-hand/multiplayer game.

Just realised that I forgot to shuffle in the expert cards when we went to Expert Crossbones earlier...I won't tell the boy. I doubt it made that much difference (five rounds, we didn't even mill 1/4 of his deck, so we would probably have only drawn one of those three cards max in that time) and I had a load of health left as Hulk, but....whoops.
  • Gregolution 11 Jan 2021 10:38:20 10,691 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    day off... loads of video games to play..... but I'm busting out Marvel again
  • f00b_inc 11 Jan 2021 11:03:30 885 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Played an intro game of Under Falling Skies yesterday and... didn't realise how much I'd missed DICE!!! Really good fun, thinky puzzler. I will play the intro a few more times before cracking on with the 'campaign' which I rejigs the rules in various ways. I can see cracking this one open on evenings when I can't find anyone to play a game (i.e. 90% of the time). The components are all decent quality although strangely enough with the exception of the main box which is a bit flimsy. Still for £25ish I'm not complaining!

It has made me wonder if I should be looking at other purely solo affairs (here's how it starts...) and/or games that are well regarded for that player count. I'd appreciate any suggestions from the EG hivemind? I've been eyeing up Spirit Island after a few comments on here and reading up that it plays quite well on your lonesome.

Also looking at Chief's link to Darwen's Journey (did you go for it?) but wondering if I need to hold off on multiple purchases in the first week of Jan! :D

Also tried and failed scenario 5 of the JotL campaign with my other half (the final 'intro' with the first boss) - we had to remind ourselves of the rules and set-up which took ages and after clearing the first room she refused my sensible advice of not rushing into the next room alone and unsupported. She promptly died and I followed immediately after so we cracked on with dinner instead. Maybe next time!
  • BearFishPie 11 Jan 2021 11:21:34 837 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alright if I join the Discord too? I only rarely get time to play anything due to family stuff but Iíd like to be able to join a game once in a while
  • ChiefGB 11 Jan 2021 11:24:25 13,194 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I havenít gone for Darwin yet, as Iím working out finances and it will come to retail one assumes. Also I tend to back with like 1 hour to spare to see exactly what Iím getting. Also itís always a chunk of change I wonít see for a while so I still feel guilty about it and have to do a bit of mini soul-searching each time.
    Anyway.... it also looks like a lovely collectors upgrade, I think Greg has backed though.
    I had gone to sleep on it and woke up with it still in my mind that day so there was a bit of hyperbole in my post early that day 🤣.
    That said it does look like a top game, and I donít even have much interest in the theme as a game.
  • Gregolution 11 Jan 2021 11:32:38 10,691 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have indeed backed it. Luciani games are winners!
  • kentmonkey 11 Jan 2021 12:53:55 24,090 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @BearFishPie of course. Open to anyone and you don't have to be a regular player.
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2021 12:54:52 31,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's definitely coming to retail.

Once again I've promised myself not to back any more games because it always end up being cheaper to just buy the retail version once it's out. I guess some games come with nice extras (like Oath and the fancy metal coins, resin secrets markers, and ehh... note book) and then it might be worth it.

But even that is usually just some nice icing on the cake that ultimately won't change the game.

Having said all that... I know I'll end up backing a game or two in 2021 just because they'll somehow convince me that if I don't I'll never get a copy.
  • Gregolution 11 Jan 2021 13:08:56 10,691 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I quite like having something to look forward to - that's the main reason I back KS!
  • f00b_inc 11 Jan 2021 13:46:02 885 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I agree on most of the above! I backed Frosthaven must have been during the first lockdown and it definitely can't be working out cheaper! Oath likewise. All the little bonuses might add up but I also see that there tend to be misprints on a lot of these first editions which does make me think I'm better off waiting on a reprint/rerelease.

As Greg says though it's nice to have something to look forward to and it's definitely more fun to throw all common sense out the window.
  • ChiefGB 11 Jan 2021 14:01:04 13,194 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kernowgaz tainted grail appears to be a victim of being held up via customs clearance/port backlog this side of the pond. Awaken realms havenít really said much to the backers around whatís going on yet, just people getting fedex updates showing they havenít moved since last few days of last year. Iím really getting fed up being locked up, this would really ease the blues.

Patience chief, patience. 💆🏻‍♂️
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2021 14:19:55 31,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    I quite like having something to look forward to - that's the main reason I back KS!
    I can sympathise with that. Once it shows up, it's all been paid for so it feels like getting awesome stuff for free.
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2021 14:22:00 31,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've got an unbroken expansion/upgrade kit for Escape Plan in the cupboard. EagleGryphon do sell them on-line though so it's not quite the pension fund I was hoping it would be.
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2021 14:35:05 31,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    f00b_inc wrote:
    It has made me wonder if I should be looking at other purely solo affairs (here's how it starts...) and/or games that are well regarded for that player count. I'd appreciate any suggestions from the EG hivemind?
    I've played some
    Leaving Earth (multiplayer competitive that works well solo)
    Really math heavy space agency simulator which is absolutely fantastic. BUT... its idea of fun is to sit with paper and pen and the hobbyist web app and calculate what rockets you'll need to buy to send something to ... say Mars. Then testing those things until you think they won't blow up and then buy it and execute on your carefully laid plan.

Shadowrun: Crossfire (co-op deckbuilder that works well multihanded)
    Start with a weak deck, beat baddies, get NuYen and upgrade your deck. Rinse repeat. Brilliant.

Nemoīs War (True solo with tacked on multiplayer)
    Battle across the seven seas, explore mysteries, incite revolutions and go on adventures. All by rolling dice and betting resources to mitigate the rolls. Beautiful game with a sense of adventure book to it.

Dawn of the Zeds (True solo with tacked on multiplayer)
    Defend the town agains ever increasing tides of zombies. A gazillion add ons for building barricades, defending catacombs, researching super weapons etc etc. A real dice chucker with some tower defence feel to it. Really encapsulates a goof trashy zombie flick feeling. Events fire off and cool/funny/funnycool characters have special abilities. Expensive and the rules are spread out in a way that makes sense the first time you progress, but is a real nightmare if you want to play it six month's later.

Pavlov's House (True solo with tacked on multiplayer)
    I've only played this twice, yet. Utterly fantastic those two times though. War game, that let's you control both the operational big picture stuff and the nitty gritty tactical "Oh my, shit a group of machine gunners showed up where we have no suppressive fire squad and Chekov is exhausted so maybe call in a noob and see if he can deal with them before they become a real problem... but then we won't have enough food for everyone... " with a super smooth system that makes the rounds whip past in ultrasonic.
  • BearFishPie 11 Jan 2021 15:19:57 837 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kentmonkey Thanks 😀
  • Slurmseh 11 Jan 2021 18:39:46 2,758 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shogun no katana pledge manager has launched.
  • Your-Mother 11 Jan 2021 18:52:32 6,203 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Couple other solo-only recommendations

This War of Mine - honestly, works better than the video game. It's brutal and unforgiving though, but an amazing narrative experience.

Robinson Crusoe - Much like TWoM, pretty brutal but very puzzle-like in its nature. The expansions add light legacy mechanics if that's your thing.

Deep Space D6 - excellent and super quick. Hard to find nowadays though.

Set a Watch - I love everything Rock Manor Games and this is no exception. Great push your luck action. Think it's getting another kickstarter soon (or might have already had one with a late pledge manager)

Hostage Negotiator - surprisingly tense though also really needs expansions to make it shine. The core game is a little limited, though super quick to setup and play. I got through a game the other day in about ten minutes. Everything just recently got a huge reprint.

The Hunters/Hunted/Silent Victory - frankly amazing games but you also need a significant lob on for submarine/ww2 stuff.

Friday - widely considered the OG solitaire game, very well done deck management game, but another brutally hard one.

Those are all true solo games, no multi-hand co-op or automata rules. If you want recommendations on those I've got armfuls, as I'm primarily a solo/co-op gamer.

Edited by Your-Mother at 18:53:56 11-01-2021
  • PrivateFloyd 11 Jan 2021 19:06:47 5,399 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Your-Mother

Another Rock Manor Games fan!! Set as Watch is superb (Iíve backed Swords of a Coin as well) and I have the complete legendary edition of Maximum Apocalypse. Have you backed Lawyer Up?
  • PrivateFloyd 11 Jan 2021 19:09:48 5,399 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Played my first game with the Wasp deck on Marvel Champions tonight, was fun, needs more plays.

Related note, Iíve gone somewhat all in on MC. Custom wooden box, fully sleeved, custom tokens and completely up to date. Worked out Iíve spent roughly £300 on the game since I bought it a year ago.

I hope the wife never finds out.
  • Your-Mother 11 Jan 2021 19:11:50 6,203 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I missed Lawyer Up so hoping to get it retail later. Did get the Legendary MA recently though (had the previous retail version but sold it on once the Legendary box was on its way), and also grabbed The Few and Cursed completely blind just because it was from them - been pretty impressed with it so far.
  • PrivateFloyd 11 Jan 2021 19:15:13 5,399 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Your-Mother

I didnít bother with the few and the cursed as I wasnít keen on the theme. And that other acorn game they had on KS last year, canít remember the name.

Set A Watch is superb though and really quick to set up. As much as I love maximum apocalypse I need to know Iíve got a few hours available as it can be a bit of a beast to set up depending on the scenario.
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2021 19:36:47 31,560 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    More solo
    Pax Pamir 2nd Edition (Multiplayer game with a bot you play against for solo)
    Great game, but this is the one where I missed opponents the most. Clever tableau builder with tons of variability.

Flamme Rouge (You need the excellent Peloton expansion for solo mode)
    Such a great game, deck management cycling game with high toy factor and modular tracks. The Peloton expansion adds a lot to the game in general PLUS a bot team to race against. It's a really great game in general and it works OK as a solo experience. Wouldn't recommend it as a buy if you're only looking for solo play though.

7th Continent (Co-opso works great solo)
    I think this is actually better solo than with others. I've only played it solo though so not sure. BUT I ruined it for myself by cheating death and then it (unsurprisingly) lost all sense of challenge. FUNNY THAT! It's a tough game though. Meant to be played over and over so that you find the best way through the adventures. It's an interesting design with some really clever mechanics. But you're better off getting Pax Pamir.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Jan 2021 20:07:03 33,534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Got my eye on Lawyer Up whenever it hits retail too. Looks pretty cool.
  • ChiefGB 11 Jan 2021 20:20:16 13,194 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    Shogun no katana pledge manager has launched.
    Yep, just considering adding the extra characters, went core as Iím not too fussed for the expensive coins. All reasonably priced inc fair delivery for what looks like a big box.
    Really looking forward to this one, I think it ran under quite a few peopleís noses.

Edited by ChiefGB at 20:24:05 11-01-2021
  • ChiefGB 11 Jan 2021 20:20:54 13,194 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Got my eye on Lawyer Up whenever it hits retail too. Looks pretty cool.
    Yes I also really wrestled with late pledging for a few months.
  • PrivateFloyd 11 Jan 2021 20:29:19 5,399 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I went for the all in deluxe KS if memory serves, all being well could well end up being delivered over the next couple of months.
  • Kernowgaz 11 Jan 2021 21:31:13 132 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    @Kernowgaz tainted grail appears to be a victim of being held up via customs clearance/port backlog this side of the pond. Awaken realms havenít really said much to the backers around whatís going on yet, just people getting fedex updates showing they havenít moved since last few days of last year. Iím really getting fed up being locked up, this would really ease the blues.

Patience chief, patience. 💆🏻‍♂️
    Cheers @ChiefGB Hereís more info from the Kickstarter page. The worry is that thereís still over 200 orders to be sent to the UK and no idea when theyíll be dispatched.

I think weíll be waiting a while unfortunately 😩

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/tainted-grail-the-fall-of-avalon

Edited by Kernowgaz at 21:36:15 11-01-2021
  • f00b_inc 11 Jan 2021 21:56:58 885 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions guys - gives me a great starting point to read up on!
  • kentmonkey 11 Jan 2021 22:43:42 24,090 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka I think if you go on BGG three developer has put the AI for the solo version of Flamme Rouge up there, so you don't have to get the Peloton upgrade.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.