Boardgames anyone? Page 504

• Tonka 12 Jan 2021 05:49:26 31,560 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh no, the Tinner's Trail Kickstarter is up. Will I be able to resist its siren song and wait for retail?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alleycatgames/tinners-trail-a-game-by-martin-wallace
  • Tonka 12 Jan 2021 05:52:45 31,560 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @Tonka I think if you go on BGG three developer has put the AI for the solo version of Flamme Rouge up there, so you don't have to get the Peloton upgrade.
    Oh, I didn't know. Petition is such a good expansion that I still think it's essential.

Cobblestones and those things where you get to drink some water. Plus two extra teams for massive madness
  • kentmonkey 12 Jan 2021 08:01:50 24,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka yeah agreed. It's a very good expansion for it.

I do like me some Flamme Rouge.
  • Gregolution 12 Jan 2021 09:40:09 10,691 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @f00b_inc

My take on good solo games :

Marvel Champions - the game I've played solo the most, very fast setup and plays really well and quickly true solo with most of the heroes.

Spirit Island - one of my all time favourite games and very highly rated in general, also plays well true solo. So much content in the box and variable difficulty to keep the challenge up as you learn (or keep it down when you're starting).

Gaia Project - not for the feint hearted, this is a heavy beast, but has a really good Automa deck designed by Automa Factory.

I've played these 3 solo more than anything else. Arkham Horror LCG is also really popular solo but I've never done it. I'm about to start though as Covid has completely destroyed my arkham gaming groups :(
  • kentmonkey 12 Jan 2021 10:25:32 24,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll second Marvel Champions. It's a great solo game, which you can play one or two handed, and a very easy game to play multiplayer over 'tinternet as well. I've put hours into it.

Spirit Island and Friday I will also second. Although Friday is good, just be mindful that it's more of a palette cleanser than something you'll play regularly. For me anyway.

Flamme Rouge I love as a 2+ player game, but racing solo against the AI felt a little cold to me. It's alright solo, but shines when you add at least one other player to it (and you can then add AI as well to up player count should you wish).

I'll add:

Pandemic Fall of Rome:
    I can't remember who recommended this to me just before Christmas but I took the advice and got it as a Christmas present from my parents. Love it. Fairly light weight but with enough strategic/tactical choices and I like that it can also be played multiplayer if you want.

Flashpoint:
    Technically not 'solo' but as a co-op game you can play as two firefighters very easily. Don't discount co-op games as they're often great solo.

Onirim:
    Great solitaire-like card game. Benefits from not feeling like you lost due to bad card draw like so many other games of this type.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2021 10:36:18 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kernowgaz the ďdartfordĒ packages appear to be on the move today so if ours are in them that would be nice, either way itís more promising info than the last few weeks.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Jan 2021 11:11:55 6,661 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Oh no, the Tinner's Trail Kickstarter is up. Will I be able to resist its siren song and wait for retail?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alleycatgames/tinners-trail-a-game-by-martin-wallace
    Argh! It now plays 1 to 5 rather than 3 to 5p! I am supposed to be done with purchases.
  • kentmonkey 12 Jan 2021 11:15:58 24,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I forgot to mention that there's also a great, free, Onirim app that you can play solo. Loses the feel of the cards but it's a great game to play while commuting..... Not that many people do that these days.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Jan 2021 11:20:25 6,661 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @kentmonkey

The app is decent but doesn't include most of the modules. The fun is in mixing them up.
  • Kernowgaz 12 Jan 2021 11:39:42 132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB Yeah saw that, fingers crossed Zatuís is in the oneís that were stuck in customs and not waiting for dispatch. I personally wouldnít be happy if Iíd ordered on Kickstarter and being used as a guinea pig for their new post brexit shipping practice.
  • kentmonkey 12 Jan 2021 11:47:32 24,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich yeah that's true.

For a quick blast while making a cuppa it's good though. And my boy loves it (he plays the app quite a bit, and helps him ensure he doesn't forget a rule and misplay a card).
  • f00b_inc 12 Jan 2021 16:37:31 885 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution
    Cheers Greg - leaning towards Spirit Island based on yours and others comments above!
  • Slurmseh 12 Jan 2021 17:08:23 2,758 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You wonít regret it. Spirit island is great! Iím on the lookout for jagged earth coming back in stock
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2021 17:14:01 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kernowgaz yeah, this is true but then at the same time you wouldnít want it to get stuck either. Going from the wider stories from Kent etc during the first days of the year no one was prepared really. Another clear step by our government, although it was all very tight.
  • Gregolution 12 Jan 2021 17:57:42 10,691 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @f00b_inc you definitely can't go wrong with that! Master class in modern coop board game design IMHO
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2021 18:19:48 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played second game of Alma mater earlier, crushed the wife something like 85/36 ☺️ Our games tend to be a little closer generally though, certainly early plays.
  • Decap 12 Jan 2021 19:25:12 155 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Something for the solo players:

This war of mine. Itís basically meant for one player. You donít play a character, you play the whole group at once so it works best as a solo. Great game, hard af and sometimes even unfair like war is. But one of the most thematic games I have played. One full game takes many hours as a regular game is more like a campaign, but I recommend it if you have the space to leave this setup.

Tainted Grail. Works incredibly well solo, with just one character or even with several, as you donít ever play individual decks of card simultaneously. Very thematic and story based so it feels like you are on an adventure, which works for a solo- game.

I just got two more games to try out with the wife: Watergate and Forgotten Waters. Also Cthulhu Death may die is still unplayed. :)
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2021 19:43:43 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, some lovely games there, both played and I played lol, slightly jealous.
  • Your-Mother 12 Jan 2021 19:57:49 6,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Watergate is aces. Real down to the wire stuff. My girlfriend was absolutely convinced that I had demolished her until I pointed out she could win with a single card she had.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jan 2021 11:59:59 6,661 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kentmonkey and I are meeting on the the EG BG discord group at about 8.30pm for a quick half hour teach / learn of either Concordia or Irish Gauge on Tabletop Simulator on Steam. Anyone interested is welcome to join us.

Discord EG channel is here: https://discord.gg/2nFBje9fNh

Concordia: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124361/concordia

Irish Gauge: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/161882/irish-gauge

Edited by rice_sandwich at 12:01:08 13-01-2021
  • alt-cmd-esc 13 Jan 2021 12:58:08 604 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Canít make tonight, sadly, but enjoy :)
  • ChiefGB 13 Jan 2021 17:34:34 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know thereís at least a couple of fans of this in here;
    Jime next expansion appears to have been data mined from the app reasonably throughly from whatís bouncing about. Of course no guarantee its accurate etc in the absence of an official announcement to date but these things seem to be. Iíd assume ffg will maybe share something official soon.
  • Kernowgaz 13 Jan 2021 18:02:48 132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB Have you got Tabletop Simulator? If so thereís a decent mod for Tainted Grail, just had a quick go to see how I can just try out combat and diplomacy and it was works a treat If not a little fiddly as I donít know the controls very well and my laptop isnít that great either.
  • ChiefGB 13 Jan 2021 18:15:33 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kernowgaz yeah I actually saw this the other day, Iíve not grabbed it though. Iím waiting for the physical one.
  • ChiefGB 15 Jan 2021 12:46:20 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kernowgaz according to someone on the Facebook page, zatu get their copies next month. 😩 Iím going spare at home as locked up 24/7 really need something juicy to get stuck into. Guessing Iíll be plugging that gap somehow else for now, probably be back at work once it arrives with far less time 😡
  • Slurmseh 15 Jan 2021 15:44:26 2,758 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My table from geeknson arrived today. Iíve very impressed. First game I played on it was Spirit Island. I have so much space now and my back thanks me for not being hunched over my coffee table!
  • Gregolution 15 Jan 2021 15:49:34 10,691 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    My table from geeknson arrived today. Iíve very impressed. First game I played on it was Spirit Island. I have so much space now and my back thanks me for not being hunched over my coffee table!
    SWEET
  • ChiefGB 15 Jan 2021 19:50:45 13,194 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Slurmseh 🍻
  • kentmonkey 15 Jan 2021 23:34:25 24,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Slurmseh 🤤
  • Your-Mother 16 Jan 2021 05:17:49 6,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I cracked open Secrets of the Lost Station. It can be described as sci-fi Gloomhaven Lite. Legacy dungeon crawler kind of thing (also seems to have some rogue like stuff going on with randomization of the tiles), and itís nice if not particularly deep based on the tutorial. Extremely narrative heavy (it has a massive ring bound scenario book with paragraphs of scenario text and effects), and when you work out what youíre doing itís pretty straightforward, but my god does it have the single worst setup of any game Iíve ever played. Despite being a legacy game all content is available, no sealed envelopes or tuck boxes, and the first thing in the box is a single sheet reading ďstop and do this before reading anything else - sort the cards into decks, except the locked content, and punch out the starter componentsĒ. Only it doesnít tell you what the decks are, and only tells you the starter components in the first scenario instructions, which it just told you not to read yet. The starter content is also scattered across five of the 20 or so punch sheets. Not sure why they couldnít have got it all on one, but there we go.

And then putting it back in the box after - youíve got open decks of cards with no tuck boxes or dividers, that you have to keep in order. Unless you make your own storage or have mini card deck boxes on hand I legit donít see how itís possible to safely pack this away and put it back on the shelf to resume later. And once everything is punched out youíre going to have maybe 10-15 baggies of stuff to keep organized.

Itís a nice enough game and pretty playable but not sure I can be bothered with the hassle.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.