Boardgames anyone? Page 540

• rice_sandwich 24 Mar 2021 10:58:15 6,723 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ChiefGB It's an easy teach. BGA is similarly easy to learn. We will keep you right.
  • kentmonkey 24 Mar 2021 12:20:39 24,254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ChiefGB It's a very simple card drafting game (is it card drafting?....it kinda is I guess) but with a decent layer of choices to each round.

BGA automates all of it. Other than the absolutely useless undo function (:D) it works so easily.
  • Tonka 24 Mar 2021 12:31:23 31,801 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Been playing MicroMacro and it gets more and more unsuitable for young children. Which is sad, because mechanically it's such a brilliant game.
  • ChiefGB 24 Mar 2021 13:41:45 13,675 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is that the rabbit whereís Wally thing? Has good buzz.
  • Tonka 24 Mar 2021 14:14:55 31,801 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yep, that's the one. It's great fun. Brilliant deduction crime-solving game. You end up doing things that feel very close to what a real investigation should be

Who is the victim?
    What did they do during the day?
    How did they die?
    WAs there anything suspect going on?
    Who might have been behind that?
    What was the motive?
    Where is the suspect now?
    Where is the evidence?

Great game, some have complained about insensitive topics and overly stereotyped suspects/victims. I've noticed that the 12+ rating has thematic rather than gameplay reasons.

But it's a great game and a fresh new mechanic that's been put to fantastic use. Much like NoPunIncluded said, I hope for a follow up that's a bit better scripted.

E.g., it could just as well be Silky Sam stealing Peter Pandas piggy bank to buy more candy for his sons birthday party, rather than Rodge beheading Lucy so that he could wear her head on his erect penis at the annual serial killers convention.

The mechanic would be the same, just more inclusive
  • Your-Mother 24 Mar 2021 14:19:59 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    f00b_inc wrote:
    Also interested in Robinson Crusoe... Any thoughts from anyone here that has played it?
    I have the current version plus the various expansions. Itís really good, effectively itís a puzzle solving sandbox. Itís not a grand narrative campaign game or anything like that. If anything itís fairly closely aligned to the current video game trend of open world survival games - start with limited and diminishing resources, and through exploration and crafting build up an engine to complete a specific objective (ďbuild a fire to signal a ship on day xĒ, ďfind a person on the opposite side of the islandĒ, etc etc). The mechanics are worker placement, and thereís a hell of a lot of press your luck (you have two worker pawns per character, and only dedicating one to a specific task may result in failure and an event card being drawn, which are almost always bad) and RNG (plenty of dice rolling and the aforementioned random deck draw), which would put some people off but makes each play through fairly unique.

Itís absolutely rock hard though, especially for newcomers, which is something this campaign is specifically addressing (hand holding tutorial campaign and more family friendly/easy quests, along with app driven support)
  • Bleh 24 Mar 2021 14:20:22 471 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Here you can play a demo case, it's pretty funny.

https://www.micromacro-game.com/en/democase.html
  • f00b_inc 24 Mar 2021 15:16:43 901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Your-Mother

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I will do a bit more reading first as I think I'm covered for hard, crunchy coop with Spirit Island. Love the theme of RC though!
  • ChiefGB 24 Mar 2021 16:33:42 13,675 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bleh wrote:
    Here you can play a demo case, it's pretty funny.

https://www.micromacro-game.com/en/democase.html
    Nice just played through 9:30s was my time, that sounds rather longer than it felt though 🤔
  • Bleh 24 Mar 2021 17:23:33 471 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's pretty quick. At one stage I was like this is the answer but I couldn't find the right location where it would progress.
  • Tonka 25 Mar 2021 08:29:10 31,801 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The cases get much more interesting as you progress through the game. Another cool thing is when you cross paths with a previous case, like the on-line demo case for example.

You start to build up a familiarity with the city.
  • ChiefGB 25 Mar 2021 12:02:11 13,675 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I can see you could clock things that would pay off later.
  • Rhaegyr 25 Mar 2021 12:07:42 5,429 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @f00b_inc

Robinson Crusoe is absolutely brilliant, I adore it!

Not played Spirit Island so not sure how it compares.
  • jaxon58 25 Mar 2021 13:27:06 2,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another double thumbs up for Robinson Crusoe for me.
    I think it's my all-time favourite board game!

It's hard, but I really don't mind losing as I still enjoy the experience. It has a great mechanic with the event cards in which things come back to have future effects, which help to play out a story.
  • kentmonkey 25 Mar 2021 14:26:59 24,254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ChiefGB Just done it too.

7m 57. I lost a lot of time trying to find his apartment but then it started to piece together ok from there.
  • ChiefGB 25 Mar 2021 15:21:21 13,675 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kentmonkey classic Kent 🤣 Iím surprised it wasnít sub 2 mins 🤣
  • Gregolution 25 Mar 2021 16:58:16 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @f00b_inc

Robinson Crusoe is absolutely brilliant, I adore it!

Not played Spirit Island so not sure how it compares.
    It's much much better :)
  • kentmonkey 25 Mar 2021 17:19:32 24,254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    @kentmonkey classic Kent 🤣 Iím surprised it wasnít sub 2 mins 🤣
    I mean, I could replay it and get that time now! :D
  • Kernowgaz 26 Mar 2021 19:26:10 228 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just had an email from Spiral galaxy games to confirm my address for the new expansions for Cloudspire,

I also got the Cloudspire: 2nd Printing Update Pack. I only had a quick go before I backed it and saw the new rule set so wanted to wait for it before I played it again.
  • Your-Mother 28 Mar 2021 04:04:23 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ugh. Forgot how swingy Mansions of Madness can be. Lengthy olí setup, get everything ready, Jim Culver and Tommy Muldoon doing their thing, mythos phase two, Tommy takes two horror. One that reduces his lore down to one. And one that inflicts Lost in Time and Space, which removes him from play until he can test 2 lore. Fucks sake.
  • ChiefGB 28 Mar 2021 11:04:59 13,675 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well thatís just grim. No way out? Canít see how you can remove the horror if you out of play.
    Iíd quite like to get mom but itís always top dollar, and I donít think thereís quite enough content straight out the core box. Isnít it like 3 cases?
    Iíve played it through tts and the app a couple of times though which was rather fiddly. The full content is absurd mind something like 20/30 investigators isnít it 🤣
  • Gregolution 28 Mar 2021 13:02:00 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Just had an email from Spiral galaxy games to confirm my address for the new expansions for Cloudspire,

I also got the Cloudspire: 2nd Printing Update Pack. I only had a quick go before I backed it and saw the new rule set so wanted to wait for it before I played it again.
    Yeah same! Me and my kids have had loads of fun with this one. Most video gamey board game I own - in a great way. Looking forward to all.the new matchups
  • Your-Mother 28 Mar 2021 15:56:38 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Well thatís just grim. No way out? Canít see how you can remove the horror if you out of play.
    Iíd quite like to get mom but itís always top dollar, and I donít think thereís quite enough content straight out the core box. Isnít it like 3 cases?
    Iíve played it through tts and the app a couple of times though which was rather fiddly. The full content is absurd mind something like 20/30 investigators isnít it 🤣
    No way out at all. Lost in Time and Space even specifically says he canít be targeted by new card effects while itís applied, so I have no way of removing that reduction on his lore, which also means heís lost forever.

MoM is still good though. You can see where JiME evolved from - itís nearly the same game, save for using dice instead of card draws for tests. The monster minis are absolute trash though - the miniatures themselves are fine, but the bases are the worst ever made (big square things youíre supposed to slide the info tile into). Most people donít even bother with them and just use the tiles on the board.
  • Kernowgaz 28 Mar 2021 16:05:07 228 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:

Yeah same! Me and my kids have had loads of fun with this one. Most video gamey board game I own - in a great way. Looking forward to all.the new matchups
    Have you got the mini towers? I was going to but theyíre rather expensive and Iíve read you can use Pizza box supports instead
  • ChiefGB 28 Mar 2021 21:59:53 13,675 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played 5th mission of resi 2 campaign earlier, which is the first one to introduce the boss mechanic. I took my time and played really well, rocking up with all the weapons.
    He didnít like my grenade launcher magnum combo and went down in about 3 rounds.
    Game seems to be getting better as it goes. It can be brutal and itís full of luck but that just brings more tension and glory when it comes off.
  • Gregolution 28 Mar 2021 22:04:13 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Kernowgaz

I don't. They're huge and an extra box I don't want. One of the things I love about Chip Theory Games are the chips instead of massive minis taking up space so I happily pass on the towers.
  • Kernowgaz 29 Mar 2021 09:06:26 228 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @Kernowgaz

I don't. They're huge and an extra box I don't want. One of the things I love about Chip Theory Games are the chips instead of massive minis taking up space so I happily pass on the towers.
    I love the feel of the chips, sooooo good. I want to get a pack of the health chips now because the ones you get are too lightweight
  • Kernowgaz 29 Mar 2021 09:06:27 228 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @Kernowgaz

I love the feel of the chips, sooooo good. I want to get a pack of the health chips now because the ones you get are too lightweight
  • Tonka 29 Mar 2021 10:09:10 31,801 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I returned to Pavlov's House yesterday. and played on Veteran difficulty. It's such an amazing solo-game. The system is so damn slick, and there are som many interesting decisions.

I guess the one criticism would be that, like most solo games, it's a puzzle to solve, and I'm guessing once you've solved it, it will remain kind of similar. The randomness of the deck and the outcomes of dice rolls will push you in slightly different directions, but I've found some strategic decisions that seem to be unstoppable.

On the other hand, my scores are middling.

Making it to the end isn't that hard once you've figured out the basics. But getting a good score at the end requires that you have some clever play. I don't so far.
  • Gregolution 29 Mar 2021 10:48:20 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Kernowgaz yeah I've got the premium chips for TMB and ordered the premium for Cloudpsire with expansion ;)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.