Boardgames anyone? Page 541

• Kernowgaz 29 Mar 2021 11:14:57 220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @Kernowgaz yeah I've got the premium chips for TMB and ordered the premium for Cloudpsire with expansion ;)
    Arenít they the same?
  • Anhunedd 29 Mar 2021 12:09:30 96 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    @Kernowgaz yeah I've got the premium chips for TMB and ordered the premium for Cloudpsire with expansion ;)
    Arenít they the same?
    I was thinking the same, although I do think they have a different design.

I've ordered a premium Cloudspire set to use with both games as part of my Burncycle KS order (along with a matching tray to hold them, as they will be kept outside of either the TMB or Cloudspire boxes). I think I ultimately chose the Cloudspire set as there were 3 more chips in that (so fill the box exactly) and I preferred the sticker on them.

If you like the feel of the chips, I strongly recommend Iron Clays for generic currency use in games. They were part of the deluxe Brass games on KS originally, and then a separate KS where you could customise exactly which denominations you wanted (I created a low value and high value set to cover all different games) but Zatu have a default set on "Restock expected".
  • StarchildHypocrethes 29 Mar 2021 12:10:24 33,710 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've got a preorder in for the Cloudspire basegame. Hopefully mine will update soon too.

On a completely different note I just grabbed a cheap copy of Zombicide. Always been intrigued but not £70+ intrigued. Guessing there must be a new version or something coming out as the original can be got £33 at the moment, which is just about impulse range.
  • ChiefGB 29 Mar 2021 12:15:54 13,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Iím tempted, Iíve never really looked at zombicide too closely as thereís just quite a lot of it all. The western one looked fantastic but was a bit too expensive. I may have to let this one go too as Iíve a few too many boxes. Still waiting for tainted grail to drop as well.
    I assume itís a great deal though.
  • Gregolution 29 Mar 2021 12:34:11 11,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Arenít they the same?
    Yeah basically. that's why I didn't order them originally... but .... they're in 2 different boxes LOL. And the art is a tiny bit different. It's a waste of money but I don't mind wasting on CTG :)
  • Gregolution 29 Mar 2021 12:36:19 11,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes oooh you did get it in the end? Nice, I really hope you like it - I remember we discussed MOBA board games in the past.

I would just advise giving it a good few games before deciding if you like it. I found it *really* painful to learn, although hopefully they've improved that in this update.

Stick with 2 factions to play against each other for a while to learn both well before moving onto any others.

And most importantly.... don't believe it plays at higher player counts than 2. It's pants above 2, just mayhem.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 29 Mar 2021 13:22:34 33,710 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, thought I'd give it a pop in my apparent quest to own every Moba board game under the sun :)

It does look cool and I'm intrigued by the solo stuff too. Got the base game, an extra faction and the scenario book on order.
  • Gregolution 29 Mar 2021 13:30:43 11,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was the extra faction the Griege? They're brilliant.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 29 Mar 2021 14:12:17 33,710 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yep, that's the one.

If I get on with it no doubt the other two will follow.
  • Your-Mother 29 Mar 2021 14:37:02 7,276 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zombicide is perfectly capable for a relatively mindless dice chucker dungeon crawl. And yes, thereís a V2 of the original out soon, though it doesnít do much other than bring in fixes and tweaks theyíve made through the various iterations and add in new expansions.
  • Gregolution 29 Mar 2021 16:48:42 11,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes nice. The Griege are my favourite faction. You can evolve into other forms during a round, dig tunnels and start your moves from your tunnel network instead of base and they have the best hero IMO. Huge thing that shares health with your fortress gate, so many cool mechanisms.

I should really crack on with the solo game... but every time I get it out my boys always challenge me. Still haven't even tried the Narora as its my eldest favourite and only one he plays now.
  • Nemesis 29 Mar 2021 20:38:19 20,035 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Arenít they the same?
    Yeah basically. that's why I didn't order them originally... but .... they're in 2 different boxes LOL. And the art is a tiny bit different. It's a waste of money but I don't mind wasting on CTG :)
    I have the premium chips for TMB.

I don't have TMB. \o/

Yeah, I know. It's awaiting reprint and all that.
  • Nemesis 29 Mar 2021 20:40:32 20,035 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    https://chiptheorygames.com/support/cloudspire-support/

The 2.0 rules have been up for a while if you want to have a nose through the updated stuff.
  • cs96and 30 Mar 2021 15:42:12 227 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dunno if this is the correct place for this, but the Android version of One Deck Dungeon is currently on sale for 89p.

It was on sale in Steam for 79p yesterday as well, but that seems to have ended.

I'd not played it before, and now I'm addicted. Would love to pick up the physical version, but looks like its out of stock everywhere.
  • Nemesis 30 Mar 2021 18:46:34 20,035 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    cs96and wrote:
    Dunno if this is the correct place for this, but the Android version of One Deck Dungeon is currently on sale for 89p.

It was on sale in Steam for 79p yesterday as well, but that seems to have ended.

I'd not played it before, and now I'm addicted. Would love to pick up the physical version, but looks like its out of stock everywhere.
    There are two versions of it; both stand-alone. So if you can't find one, you might be able to grab the other!
  • Nemesis 30 Mar 2021 18:47:00 20,035 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Forest of Shadows is in stock in the UK.
  • Gregolution 30 Mar 2021 19:48:00 11,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cs96and wrote:

that reminds me I bought this last time it was under a quid on android around 6 months ago and I've never even tried it
  • ChiefGB 30 Mar 2021 20:54:11 13,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have, itís alright kept me busy through a few hospital appointments 🤣.

In other news my tainted grail ks has been dispatched finally and is due tomorrow.....the day before I return to work ft 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Your-Mother 30 Mar 2021 22:49:31 7,276 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Marvel United all in pledge arrived today. Still debating whether to keep it and primarily use it as fancy markers for Champions/Legendary or straight up eBay it off. Some of the expansions add some new twists, and the production values are fantastic (the minis alone are great), but the core game is still simplistic abstract rubbish.
  • ChiefGB 30 Mar 2021 22:58:41 13,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe the bolt ons will flesh it out a bit?
  • Your-Mother 30 Mar 2021 23:14:00 7,276 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kind of. They add a few minor and optional mechanical twists like having to avoid journalists uncovering your secret identity (although a ton of the characters donít actually have secret identities, making it thematically weird) or tying your characterís fate directly to a location, but nothing thatís standing out as transformative.

The X-Men version was revealed today on Dice Tower and it looks like itís just the exact same game again so a definite skip for me.
  • Gregolution 31 Mar 2021 09:21:05 11,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-definitive-edition

that's quite interesting...
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 10:57:30 13,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The pricing is far from it however, 35 bucks shipping not forgetting vat make it about £80 and the risk of further customs charges.
    For a game already more expensive than you can get the old base game.
    I have the app, think Iíll stick with that 🤣 shame though, maybe take another look at retail release.

Edited by ChiefGB at 11:05:20 31-03-2021
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 11:02:16 13,611 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Kind of. They add a few minor and optional mechanical twists like having to avoid journalists uncovering your secret identity (although a ton of the characters donít actually have secret identities, making it thematically weird) or tying your characterís fate directly to a location, but nothing thatís standing out as transformative.

The X-Men version was revealed today on Dice Tower and it looks like itís just the exact same game again so a definite skip for me.
    I saw it on dice tower, didnít do much for me especially with all the expected extra charges, ks in this country is really taking a kicking post brexit. European games donít seem to be suffering quite so badly but big US ks companies like cmon which already offer huge pledges are just too expensive to contemplate as it stands.
  • Nemesis 31 Mar 2021 11:58:24 20,035 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Marvel Champions : The Galaxyís Most Wanted is on the way !

Thirsty Meeples doing good work there. I think thereís a decent amount of stock judging by the availability . . . At the mo.
  • Kernowgaz 31 Mar 2021 12:02:37 220 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I have, itís alright kept me busy through a few hospital appointments 🤣.

In other news my tainted grail ks has been dispatched finally and is due tomorrow.....the day before I return to work ft 🤦🏻‍♂️
    Thatís good news about Tainted Grail, at least you know youíre going to get it now but not sure when you can play it
  • Nemesis 31 Mar 2021 12:10:01 20,035 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Sounds a perfect lunchtime... reading those rulebooks...cheeky sandwich on the go. Maybe a good local coffee. Stack of Digestives...yeah.
  • Gregolution 31 Mar 2021 13:15:49 11,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    The pricing is far from it however, 35 bucks shipping not forgetting vat make it about £80 and the risk of further customs charges.
    For a game already more expensive than you can get the old base game.
    I have the app, think Iíll stick with that 🤣 shame though, maybe take another look at retail release.
    Ah nice researech. I didn't look at any details. Maybe we've entered the era of retail only for UK board games.

I have a friend who played this game to death and said it's much better digitally anyway
  • Anhunedd 31 Mar 2021 17:56:23 96 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Maybe we've entered the era of retail only for UK board games.
    I am rapidly coming to this conclusion myself. Every time I look at new shiny things, they go up by another 50% when delivery and VAT are added. I used to feel I was getting a reasonable deal - the "discounts" on KS may well get eroded by delivery, but tended to end up close or slightly better than the retail price, and often add a few nice extras.

Now it feels like paying a premium to get only marginal benefits. My "investments" have certainly reduced over the last three months, and I now tend to only consider expansions of games I have, or reprints/collectors versions of established games. Paying a lot more attention to newsletters from UK games companies about upcoming releases to spend my hobby money there instead.

I guess that's good news for UK retailers though! I've got a fairly large queue of stuff slowly trickling into my house from KS anyway to keep me more than busy. Better warn Ikea their Kallax profits will be dropping in the UK too :)
  • Your-Mother 31 Mar 2021 20:19:29 7,276 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spent a fair bit of time back with Elder Sign after the disaster (IMO) that was X-Men Mutant Whatever. I'm still amazed they managed to get it so wrong. Elder Sign with expansions is such a tight, neatly designed experience, but they decided to junk all the great design in an effort to streamline X-Men, and it plain doesn't work.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.