Boardgames anyone? Page 542

• Kernowgaz 31 Mar 2021 20:32:00 220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For anyone interested thereís stock around of The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-Earth PLAYMAT , I just bought it from Board game extras but itís out of stock now.
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 20:37:03 13,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That must be a big one, itís a lovely design though.
  • Nemesis 31 Mar 2021 20:38:30 20,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    3ft x 3ft!
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 20:40:27 13,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Your-Mother ive heard said it gets better with higher hero counts and more difficult scenarios. How far did you push it?
    Does look rather repetitive though.
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 20:41:35 13,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Nemesis lol I wouldnít be able to even unravel it all on my table.
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 20:49:19 13,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kernowgaz it turned out yesterday that zatu had copies of tainted grail on their website briefly in the end, which is a sour note. Still you got a great bargain.
    Mine arrived with niamh, surprise box and the pc games code. Iíve played the open and play tutorial. Hoping to properly take a look on Sunday. Shame itís going to be far more challenging to get to the table for bigger sessions.
    Yet to decide on a pairing but was thinking beor and ailei.
  • Nemesis 31 Mar 2021 20:52:31 20,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    @Nemesis lol I wouldnít be able to even unravel it all on my table.
    Same. I can fit the 26x26 one from the LCG, but that's about it!
  • Your-Mother 31 Mar 2021 20:54:32 7,277 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    @Your-Mother ive heard said it gets better with higher hero counts and more difficult scenarios. How far did you push it?
    Does look rather repetitive though.
    I've done four heroes. It gets better in as much as there's a little more strategy - there's a team up/treachery mechanic that is literally useless with only two heroes - but not enough to save it imo. It's just too simplistic with far more reliance on luck than ES, and it's definitely repetitive - each game is pretty much the same, villains don't give much variety or mechanical twists to mix things up. It's not a bad game per-se, and I can see it working as a game for younger kids or as a gateway for board game newbies, it's just a crushing disappointment that they stripped out everything that was good about ES. Probably the worst thing about it is that it feels cheap compared to other FFG games. Poor quality artwork, badly cut standees and flimsy feeling cards.
  • Nemesis 31 Mar 2021 20:57:32 20,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'd love an Elder Sign update; that font does my old man eyes right in!
  • Kernowgaz 31 Mar 2021 20:59:54 220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    @Kernowgaz it turned out yesterday that zatu had copies of tainted grail on their website briefly in the end, which is a sour note. Still you got a great bargain.
    Mine arrived with niamh, surprise box and the pc games code. Iíve played the open and play tutorial. Hoping to properly take a look on Sunday. Shame itís going to be far more challenging to get to the table for bigger sessions.
    Yet to decide on a pairing but was thinking beor and ailei.
    I went solo with scythe man, Arev?

Maybe people cancelled there orders but itís still a bit poor.

Iím looking to sell the Monsters of Avalon, Echoes of the Past and Red Death campaign now as I doubt Iíll have the time to play it all.

Edited by Kernowgaz at 21:00:16 31-03-2021

Edited by Kernowgaz at 21:06:33 31-03-2021
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 21:54:11 13,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I might be interested in echoes at least, possibly monsters too. Another campaign might be over egging though 🤣 but depends on price.
  • Anhunedd 31 Mar 2021 23:16:37 97 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Interested in Red Death, and Echoes if ChiefGB decides not to. Backed the core game at KS (luckily mine got through customs with the first batch) and now wish I had picked those two up too, so have been keeping an eye out on eBay for reasonable prices.
  • kentmonkey 1 Apr 2021 08:04:54 24,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Your-Mother I remember watching a playthrough of it bank in November where they had the Chief Designer of the game playing it with others.

She had no idea. Was constantly being corrected about rules, timing, etc. And she was often deferring to somebody else to answer questions. She also came across as extremely arrogant.

On that basis I'm not surprised it's turned into a bit of a disjointed, incoherent game. It's a shame, as I love me some X-Men, but not surprising.
  • Nemesis 1 Apr 2021 10:50:30 20,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's here!

Same size box as Red Skull (for those that use fancy box inserts) and it's very purple! Missus.

For those that sleeve...you are looking at 265 cards....111 player cards, 14 villain cards, 140 encounter cards.
  • Kernowgaz 2 Apr 2021 00:23:45 220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Slurmseh Are you interested in Death Angel still? If not Iíll try and sell it over the weekend.

@ChiefGB and @Anhunedd Iíve sold thevTainted Grail stuff already, sorry bought that. Sold them for £90 including postage which isnít too bad but the thing selling games is the postage is expensive.
  • Kernowgaz 2 Apr 2021 00:23:47 220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Bleh 2 Apr 2021 10:58:46 471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So I finally caved in and got Shadows of Brimstone Forbidden Fortress. That way I can practice mini building and painting for Cursed City. My wallet is going to hate me.
  • Slurmseh 2 Apr 2021 14:41:06 2,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Kernowgaz Hey man. Still interested but the funds arenít there. Go ahead and sell it but thanks for thinking of me

Edited by Slurmseh at 14:41:14 02-04-2021
  • Your-Mother 2 Apr 2021 19:17:02 7,277 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I guess I'll find out when I pick it up, but is the Ronan the Accuser in Galaxy's Most Wanted the same as the Ronan the Accuser Print n Play?
  • kentmonkey 2 Apr 2021 19:47:13 24,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Your-Mother no, this is a main villain and villain beck, not a minion and encounter set.
  • ChiefGB 4 Apr 2021 20:58:30 13,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played through the first chapter of tainted grail today. Decent start, story is impressively told and the app voice work is pretty good too.
    Obviously early doors but so far so good.
  • Kernowgaz 5 Apr 2021 08:16:20 220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB I didnít use the app but I imagine itís more engrossing than reading it yourself. Iíve only played the first chapter. Need to play it again soon.

For the folks who have Journeys in Middle-earth, Iím about to play it again, I remember seeing that itís best to play with all your stuff enabled (both mini expansions and Shadowed Paths) is that correct? Does it give you more variety?
  • f00b_inc 5 Apr 2021 08:49:46 901 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Kernowgaz

Yep that is what I have heard! It then mixes and matches across all of the tiles, enemies, cards etc. I'll be interested to hear how your replay goes with the expansion enabled.

We are finally getting round to starting the Shadowed Paths expansion today!
  • ChiefGB 5 Apr 2021 16:23:33 13,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ^this, Weíve done 2 adventures in shadowed paths. Right up till the very end I felt we were going to fail the first one as it doesnít hang about on normal, but we managed it. Also beat the second one, so running 2-0.

R.e grail, yes the voiceover is good but you still need the book handy ideally as it doesnít show the costs right away. Plus taking notes (as advised) along the way was quite a bit of shuffling things about in my play space with the various books. It sure does spread out on the table with two characters.

Good luck on your jime adventure.

Edited by ChiefGB at 16:26:54 05-04-2021
  • Your-Mother 5 Apr 2021 17:05:54 7,277 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks like the leak from a while ago was accurate. Venom in MC, but as his Guardians version rather than classic Venom

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/4/5/venomous-sting/
  • Your-Mother 5 Apr 2021 22:18:27 7,277 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Question for the deck construction fans - LotR, Arkham Horror, Marvel Champions etc. What's your opinion on binders vs boxes for player cards? I've been reorganizing my collection recently (complete to date of all, so lots and lots of cards) and I've always had them in boxes with dividers, but thinking about giving the binder route a go - it's easier to flip through and see the cards for one thing, and makes storage expansion a little easier (just buy more pages or binders). Regular villain/encounter/mythos/etc cards I'd definitely keep boxed for easier access and setup.
  • Bleh 6 Apr 2021 10:40:12 471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Played MicroMacro with the family when we got together for Easter. We blasted through 8 missions. From mission 3 we didn't even use the cards anymore. Sometimes we missed one card but found it pretty quickly. Got some good training back in the days with Where's Waldo.

Also played the first mission of Forbidden Fortress. I like the dice chucking. It screwed me over a few times but also helped me out.
  • Tonka 6 Apr 2021 15:01:24 31,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The sixth misson gave my children nightmares

The youngest one has always had a weird thing about kidnappers. That beat up van willhaunt him for life...

The eldest had never realized there was such a thing as psycho killers that do it for fun. "Do people really murder without a reson?"

There goes my shot at a Father of the Yaar mug.
  • kentmonkey 6 Apr 2021 16:06:05 24,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It does sound like they missed the goal with the theme. Make it generic, about animals or something, and not killing, so it's palatable to a wider audience.

I'm not sure it needs the shock value. In fact I think it's holding it back. I would certainly have entertained a purchase for me and my boy had it been less...... graphic.
  • Bleh 6 Apr 2021 17:53:10 471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't remember the particulars of mission six but their is indeed some morbid stuff happening in the city. Even outside the missions. I can understand if some parts of the map you want to skip with kids.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.